Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

God drat this sucks. :smith:

Like a good amount of kids who grew up in the late 80s/early 90s, Aladdin was what introduced me to him. That said, I will definitely sing the praises of Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets Society to anyone who thinks all he could do was comedy. Man, this week is going to be a downer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
One Robin Williams performance I haven't seen mentioned yet is Jumanji. Definitely one of the best movies of my childhood.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When I first heard Robin Williams died, my initial reaction was sadness, but also pride because drat, he must have at least went out knowing he'd left quite the legacy.

Then I heard suicide. poo poo. poo poo. Goddammit. gently caress THIS poo poo. Ugh.

Still gonna focus on the positive, but sonofabitch what a tragedy.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Watching Mork & Mindy holds one of those weird spots as one of my earliest childhood memories.

I would walk around the house going "Nanu-Nanu" at everything.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is gonna be the most bizarre thing to wish (and if it's inappropriate I'll be happy to remove), but I honestly hope this is a result of autoerotic asphyxiation rather than suicide. I'd much rather he went out enjoying himself rather than under crushing sadness and depression.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I really liked this guy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lizardman posted:

This is gonna be the most bizarre thing to wish (and if it's inappropriate I'll be happy to remove), but I honestly hope this is a result of autoerotic asphyxiation rather than suicide. I'd much rather he went out enjoying himself rather than under crushing sadness and depression.

No, shut up.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Nice, ABC

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RIP Timekeeper.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
God drat, this sucks. I was going through his filmography and it just makes me sadder after I realized all the awesome stuff he has done. Brilliant comedian, and actor at both comedy and drama. Jack, Jumanji, One Hour Photo, Aladdin... :smith:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

He wasn't in the movie, I think people are quoting it because it describes his situation pretty well.

Although he's hardly the first comedian to suffer from depression and commit suicide.
People are quoting it because they can only relate to people through comic book movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I never had that phase where I hated this man like so many others I knew. He was always awesome. And as I got older, his darker roles were even more awesome. Him and Harold Ramis were two of my favorite comedy people. They made me laugh more than anyone, and I enjoyed when I saw any of their names on screen.

This blows.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
This is just publicity for the sequel to The World's Greatest Dad.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

God drat it...

I always knew as I grew up, the cool people out there I grew up watching would get older and start dying. I just kinda hoped Robin would be one of the last ones to go.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 12, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

lizardman posted:

Yeah this is a pretty bizarre thing to wish.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Yeah, I read the news and felt like I'd just been punched in the gut. My wife asked me once if there was a concert I'd do anything to see and I said "Not really a concert, but I would kill to see Robin Williams live."

Thing about him, no matter how shittastic the movie, you would be guaranteed to be entertained by at least his performance. I'm looking at you Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

Between him and Harold Ramis, I think that comedy has suffered one of the biggest kicks to the balls ever this year.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Oh Captain, My Captain...

Robin Williams was an integral element of my childhood, something I feel I share with many people here. He was a source of laughter and joy, and he taught us to view the world with a child's eyes, full of wonder and curiosity. Even in his later life, his role was not diminished. He wanted us to enjoy life, to embrace the fantastic and laugh at the mundane. His roles touched my life, and I regret that I never had the opportunity to shake his hand, and thank him for the lessons he taught me, the comfort he gave me when I was low, and the friends I have made over a mutual love of a good laugh.

May his legacy live on within us as one of innocent carefree joie de vivre and wonder at the small miracles that make up our world.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Man, this news is just so much to take in. Robin Williams always felt like a constant in my life. As a kid I'd want to see any comedy that had him in it; I used to love Mork & Mindy. Then as an adult, after I got diagnosed with depression, I came to love him even more for doing his part to normalize depression by openly sharing his struggles with it.

I've never been this sad about a celebrity death before. I just wish he could have really understood how much people love him and value him.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

CloseFriend posted:

I've never been this sad about a celebrity death before. I just wish he could have really understood how much people love him and value him.

That's one of the unfair things about depression. You can know in your head that's the case, but it doesn't change anything sometimes.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

lizardman posted:

This is one of the strangest posts I've seen on these forums.

ANYWAY... RIP to one of my favorite comedians. "Dead Poet's Society" is one of those things that originally inspired me to be a teacher. If a performance is powerful enough to inspire such strong feelings in me, you know you've got a great performance on your hands.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Terrible news, when he played good guys he always gave off so much warmth.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sigh, news media is classy as ever. This blows, Williams was quite a rad dude.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

People are quoting it because they can only relate to people through comic book movies.

Aw, I'm glad you could get your arrogant condescension out today, tiger. That must've been hard to keep inside.

But, seriously, I saw Terry Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and knowing nothing going in, I was absolutely surprised to see Robin Williams as the King of the Moon. The movie's great, but Williams absolutely steals the show, to the extent that it never really recovers from his indomitable presence.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Holy crap, this one almost made me cry https://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/498996314395246593/photo/1

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Infuckingsane. Brilliant comedian that I always took for granted as someone who would always be alive and doing his thing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

K. Waste posted:

"Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Great Clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains."
- Alan Moore, "Watchmen"
Rest In Peace, Comedian

Noirex
May 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3e-OUnavQ

I never believed he was a happy man. Too much drugs, too much mania, he always had sad eyes beneath all that laughter. Still, he was a vital part of my childhood memories and that childlike wonder and curiosity was so rare and special. Truly a great man and I'm so sad that he had to suffer for so long and go out in such profound pain. :smith:

shuiromahou
Feb 23, 2014
This is so sad... I loved growing up with him there was Aladdin,Jack, Jumanji, Dead poets society..

My all time favorite was bicentennial man. I remember when I first saw it I couldn't stop watching it . His acting has always been amazing . I'll miss him and his work

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
He was even good in A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

gently caress. gently caress. loving SCREAMING poo poo.

Goddamnit. I'm so, SO loving mad. It didn't even fully sink in until after my husband and I got done watching Hook tonight. God loving drat it. He's DEAD. gently caress. GODDAMNIT.

The thing is, I can really... idk. I understand what he was doing to some extent. I've suffered depression all my life. For most of my adulthood, the only way I could hold down a job was by faking happy as hard as I loving could, as if my life depended on it (because really, my livelihood did depend on it). Customers at work always used to say how cheerful I was, and sometimes my bosses thought I was on something because I was way too perky. And then I'd get home and throw things and scream and cry and then sit in front of the computer and kill a bottle of wine for dinner.

Depression is frequently a fatal illness. It is constantly trying to kill you. Any little excuse, any chance it get, it tries to loving kill you. It's incredibly painful, cannot be cured, only put into remission, and frequently kills people. 2nd highest cause of death among young adults and third highest among kids. Kids, for Christ's sake.

Anyone who loving says this poo poo is weakness or someone should just snap themselves out of it and be happy is a douche and should be punched. At the least.

I hope wherever he is now, he's no longer suffering, and finally actually happy.

TED BUNNDY
May 30, 2009

SO HUNGRY
Pork Pro
Oh Captain, my Captain.

:smith:

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Oh man, these things always hurt so much more when it's someone you enjoyed as a child. The amount of times I watched Hook and Aladdin when I was small becomes painfully apparent :smith:.

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007

lizardman posted:

What the hell? Yeah it's kinda bizarre thing to wish for

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
He will be missed :smith:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

My mom, and both my siblings texted me at the exact same time to let me know. What a loving waste. What a tragedy. I have Depression pretty hard, and learning that he'd been depressed and took his life has me very upset. It's a difficult and terrible thing, Depression. He deserved better than this.

HOOK, as dumb and silly as it is, has been a favorite of mine for years. He sold the Hell out of it, and it's very hopeful. I recently rewatched POPEYE, and it's not a good movie, but he was an amazing Popeye. And he was amazing in ONE HOUR PHOTO, and WORLD'S GREATEST DAD, and nearly everything else, even when the movie was poo poo. ("Batty Rap" anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaTFgY8kZcU)

RIP Robin Williams. Hopefully you have some kind of peace now.

Neowyrm posted:

This might seem a weird place to post this, but to shazbot with it;

If you or anyone you know is struggling and needs to talk to someone, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. Life is super important. :(

Kangra
May 7, 2012

He wasn't just a funny guy but a genuinely nice and caring guy too, which makes succumbing to depression feel that much worse.

The local TV news just kind of went on with coverage and reminiscing since a lot of them had actually interacted personally with him, not with the big events but with more of his community involvement. You could tell they were having a tough time.

I keep getting this really depressing image of someone making a Rememory for him and then the cutter getting to the ending (and somehow it's still himself doing the editing). The Final Cut was one of his best roles ever.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
As a kid, there were three actors that I looked up to. Harrison Ford ( because of Indiana Jones ), Richard Dean Anderson ( because of McGyver ) and Robin Williams ( because of Hook ). The first two appealed to my young mind because they represented heroic men - people who managed to survive any dangerous situation by the skin of their teeth. Williams appealed to me because he had this aura of warmth and kindness - his presence reminded me of my own late grandfather. As such, I felt this very personal connection to a man in a movie that I had never met; something that is a very rare thing for me still to this day.

I can't think of a better way to put it, but I think that the reason Williams appealed to me - and to so many others - was his soulfulness. Regardless of whether he was on his quick-witted, motor-mouthed improv mode or his more quiet drama-actor mode, he was incredibly present, beaming out something I can only call "humane charisma".

Rest in peace, man.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that… you're nothing. Don't - from me to you - don't ever lose that. Because it keeps you alive."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9ZDDXUWUM

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I guess it's pretty much impossible to really understand the kind of depression that would lead to someone taking their own life unless you've faced it personally and came out alive.

Here's a guy that was beloved by millions, wildly successful career-wise, hasn't had to worry about making rent or being late on the car note, and had a loving family. But whatever demons in his brain still got the better of him. It's just really frustrating to understand and accept. He made the world an immensely better place by being here, and gently caress...he should still be here.

Edit: I really like "humane charisma". You can't watch his movies without experiencing the range of...humanity? He was goofy, funny, serious, sad... I don't know. I'm out if words.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
I don't think I ever sympathized more with Robin until he did a quick cameo on the Harmontown podcast. I could hear it in his voice, this strange bubbling nervousness that comes out as strange voices, jarring jokes, and jabbering a mile a minute. I go through the same thing sometimes when I meet with strangers, and people either find you endearing or a lunatic. Regardless, it seems like no one respects you, least of all yourself. After you've destroyed what could have been a quiet conversation with your borderline hysteria, holy poo poo, there is no crappier feeling than feeling like a buffoon. You can't even articulate your suffering because your own manic brand of humor will take the over the second you feel uncomfortable, and all you say is random gobbeldy gook to distract people.

Its a vicious cycle, one that many "funny" people struggle with their entire lives. Robin shared a lot more of himself than most people dare, and our lives are richer for his contributions, regardless of the wells he drew from. I wish he understood that we all adored his humor and respected him for having the stones to stand in front of a camera while being himself.

Rest in Peace, Robin. I'll never think less of you.

PS Death to Smootchy owns bones

• Locked thread