Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
drat. :smith:

RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

SouthLAnd posted:

I guess it's pretty much impossible to really understand the kind of depression that would lead to someone taking their own life unless you've faced it personally and came out alive.

Here's a guy that was beloved by millions, wildly successful career-wise, hasn't had to worry about making rent or being late on the car note, and had a loving family. But whatever demons in his brain still got the better of him. It's just really frustrating to understand and accept. He made the world an immensely better place by being here, and gently caress...he should still be here.
As someone who has struggled with severe depression for years, I can say that one of the terrible things about depression is that it does not give a poo poo if there's technically nothing wrong with your life. Obviously I can't speak for Robin or anyone else, but from my experience depression can in fact get worse if your life seems really good from someone else's perspective and people tell you you "don't have any reason to be sad." (for the love of god, never say this to a depressed person)

You start to feel guilty because you're not "supposed" to be depressed in your situation, and your brain goes "Don't you know other people have it so much worse than you? You have plenty of money and friends and everything and you're still all depressed. What a selfish rear end in a top hat. You should just gently caress off and die because you're a horrible person. You don't deserve any happiness anyway."

Depression loving sucks. RIP Robin. :smith:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Soooo I went to IMDb to get a full picture of his entire career and check what I've seen and started logging in and gently caress this loving captcha the thing gave me just now:

My favorite Robin Williams movies are probably Good Morning, Vietnam and Fisher King, so I guess I'll be watching those two soon.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

OH NO MAN posted:

As someone who has struggled with severe depression for years, I can say that one of the terrible things about depression is that it does not give a poo poo if there's technically nothing wrong with your life. Obviously I can't speak for Robin or anyone else, but from my experience depression can in fact get worse if your life seems really good from someone else's perspective and people tell you you "don't have any reason to be sad." (for the love of god, never say this to a depressed person)

Depression loving sucks. RIP Robin. :smith:

It may be inappropriate, but I find it hilarious that you have a Batman avatar.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Veib posted:

Soooo I went to IMDb to get a full picture of his entire career and check what I've seen and started logging in and gently caress this loving captcha the thing gave me just now:

Hes communicating with you from beyond the grave

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It may be inappropriate, but I find it hilarious that you have a Batman avatar.
Goddammit you ruined my seriouspost

I see what you mean, though, and got a chuckle out of it. :unsmith: Didn't even think about that when I was posting.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Spent tonight rewatching some of his standup specials, and now I'm actually crying a little bit. What the gently caress.

edit: Don't loving read the GBS thread about him, it's loving disgusting and disgraceful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sometimes, you can't even take your own advice. :smith:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Spent tonight rewatching some of his standup specials, and now I'm actually crying a little bit. What the gently caress.

edit: Don't loving read the GBS thread about him, it's loving disgusting and disgraceful.
GBS Neo is full of unfunny edgy or ironic stupid shitheads and FYAD-wannabes? I am stunned

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Captain Invictus posted:

GBS Neo is full of unfunny edgy or ironic stupid shitheads and FYAD-wannabes? I am stunned

Yeah, yeah, but this is worse than usual for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Captain Invictus posted:

Sometimes, you can't even take your own advice. :smith:

That's taken out of context. In the movie, his son didn't intentionally commit suicide. It was a weird accident. That scene is one of the best scenes he's ever done, by the way. And now it's actually heart breaking, instead of darkly hilarious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have to admit I wasn't really a huge fan of his as a comic, but I've loved pretty much every dramatic role I've seen him in. Fisher King rules, he was a cool guy.

Knifey McSpoon
Mar 3, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Seriously though I cried a little watching a few clips today, poor bastard

Jethz
Sep 17, 2004
Spent my commute to work this morning just staring out in front of me after I read the news.

If there ever was the cliche of the sad clown, Robin Williams now embodies it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I loved Mork & Mindy even though the network kept loving around with it.

I don't remember the context, but here's this:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
RIP. Depression is no joke.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Noirex posted:

I never believed he was a happy man. Too much drugs, too much mania, he always had sad eyes beneath all that laughter.

This really rings true. I was much more appreciative of Robin's adult films. What Dreams May Come, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, One Hour Photo, Good Will Hunting, Death to Smoochy, Insomnia, even Awakenings and The Birdcage. It was always easier to accept him in those roles than ones where he's playing someone endlessly happy, Patch Adams always felt weird to me. Out of the news coverage, ABC streaming his home, and celebrities tweeting, I feel the most appropriate message is the one linked earlier from The Academy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Goddamn. I know it became pretty common to give him a lot of poo poo about his shtick and some of his more mawkish choices near the end, but you could never deny Robin Williams' ridiculous talent for both comedy and drama and sensational improvisational ability. If I had to pick one moment, just one, from his career that sums up what made him so amazing it would be this scene from Good Will Hunting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mn3nLPSMY

If you didn't already know, everything about Dr Maguire's late wife farting in her sleep was completely improvised by Williams. Matt Damon's reaction is genuine, and the reason the camera shakes is because the cameraman couldn't stop laughing. But then Williams takes a drat funny bit and expertly segues it into an incredibly poignant and touching observation that it's the little idiosyncracies that he misses the most, and starts talking about an intimate adult relationship in such a relatable, mature way that it blows my mind that he made it up on the spot. And that's what he was capable of, to me there's no other word: Magic. He improvised possibly the most touching moment of a quite incredible film, like that's something he could just do without really thinking about it.

This is a huge, huge loss. I don't really know what else to say. There'll never be anyone else like Robin Williams. RIP

quick edit: And yes, every single mention of 'O Captain My Captain' this morning absolutely broke my heart, another of my favourite movie moments (and one of my favourite scores). So, here's that too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lREv55MY5E

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
This is terrible. I pretty much grew up with Robin Williams as a constant presence in movies-- Aladdin, Jumanji, all the kid stuff-- and only later saw more of his work and realized what a great actual talent he had, and how he seemed like a genuinely good person. He was one of those people you'd expect to just be around forever, or to pass away in his sleep at age 102 or something and the only reaction would be "Oh, he left such a great legacy." Not like this.

And add me to the list of depressed people for whom the idea that it was suicide makes it that much worse. :smith: I've had those thoughts before, and it's almost agonizing, knowing how fleeting and purely impulsive those thoughts can be-- help should have been right there, it probably was right there, but in that moment you can't see it through the fog. Everything feels so profoundly wrong and horrible that you're certain nothing can help, there's nothing you can do, you have no future. And a moment is all it takes, and that's what's so frustrating. If he'd only been able to get through that day, maybe he could've found that help and been alright. Maybe.

Man, depression sucks. I just hope he found peace, and I hope his family is getting all the support they need.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I just heard the news this morning. Such an awful thing... He was pretty much my mom's favorite actor ever; I have to call her later.

I'm looking at his IMDb page right now... Such an amazing body of work, 102 credits and that's just for his acting work. There's all the examples mentioned for his great films, but the one I have in my head, and the one I've remembered the best over the years, is The Fisher King. Wonderful actor and wonderful man, I hope he finds peace in whatever comes next. "I like New York in June, how about you?..."

:smith:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyd6smXGBlM

Williams was one of the first comedians who ever made me laugh, even before I could understand English or read subtitles, I saw his standup show and just him acting silly was hilarious. Always loved him in lighter movies (Good Morning Vietnam, Hook, etc.) but he was such a crazy good dramatic actor too, even if the movies around him didn't always work quite as well. The Night Listener, Final Cut, What Dreams May Come, The World According to Garp, The Fisher King, Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo, Insomnia, World's Greatest Dad. Just loads of them. Super loving bummed out by this.

Oh goddamnit

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

quote:

Oh goddamnit

Yup, right in the feels.

Goodnight Robin.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcZhY_Zo-yg

He seems like such a sweet, amazing father. I feel so bad for his family. :smith:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Aladdin was the first movie I saw in theaters. Goodbye Genie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FmFaK7pMU

It's almost like no matter what he did, the man himself almost seemed to walk out of a fairy tale. And people forget that fairy tales can - nay, need to be - fuckin' scary at times. Going dark places you don't wanna go, speaking and babbling in ways that are hard for you to totally comprehend. I don't know any other actor who embodied both halves of the funny-dark dichotomy so perfectly. Even when he was in utter poo poo, he was also the best thing about it, and I think his fantastic magnetism has a lot to do with that. Guy came off like Peter Pan. But I guess we forget how lonely that must be.

That's the type of role Williams played so well, though - the naive everyman versus the cynical world. And while sometimes it was in a hackneyed story with even somewhat horrendous ethical overtones - Mrs. Doubtfire, Patch Adams - it has an unbelievable effect on you being able to accept even the most fantastic concept.

When I was a kid, the most vivid image of Robin Williams for me was Jack. And while I can look back now with a jaded sense of derision, I can't forget just how true to being a child Williams could be. The experience of this grown rear end man felt so real to me, and don't think it can't be denied that Williams' performance had a tremendous amount to do with it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Really, the thing that always got me about Williams was his intensity. He reminded me of Nicolas Cage: he wholeheartedly owned and believed in every role he was handed, no matter how ridiculous or how deathly serious it was. Like Cage, people generally hired him for his manic energy, but when given the chance to spread his wings into drama, he really loving spread 'em.

Canadian Tapeworm
Feb 14, 2012
It's stupid, but out of all the movies he's done the one thing that really sticks with me is trying to avoid road head because of The World According to Garp. :(

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I never knew about his depression. "Robin Williams dead from suicide" seems like a bunch of words that belong anywhere near each other.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
When I think of a serious/dramatic Robin Williams role I always come back to the episode of Homicide:Life on the Street that he was in. He's just so completely far away from the usual energetic comedy roles he had been around the same time.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
RIP.

The thing about Robin Williams was that, while he made some poor choices in film roles, I think they were made on an emotional level, and that through it all, he had a sharpness, an intelligence that people don't always credit him with. Referencing Lord Buckley in his stand up, stuff like that. I mean, you can sense the thoughtfulness in many of his interviews. Here's one I just watched which really impressed me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjktB2k6TSI

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

meteloides posted:

gently caress. gently caress. loving SCREAMING poo poo.

Goddamnit. I'm so, SO loving mad. It didn't even fully sink in until after my husband and I got done watching Hook tonight. God loving drat it. He's DEAD. gently caress. GODDAMNIT.

The thing is, I can really... idk. I understand what he was doing to some extent. I've suffered depression all my life. For most of my adulthood, the only way I could hold down a job was by faking happy as hard as I loving could, as if my life depended on it (because really, my livelihood did depend on it). Customers at work always used to say how cheerful I was, and sometimes my bosses thought I was on something because I was way too perky. And then I'd get home and throw things and scream and cry and then sit in front of the computer and kill a bottle of wine for dinner.

Depression is frequently a fatal illness. It is constantly trying to kill you. Any little excuse, any chance it get, it tries to loving kill you. It's incredibly painful, cannot be cured, only put into remission, and frequently kills people. 2nd highest cause of death among young adults and third highest among kids. Kids, for Christ's sake.

Anyone who loving says this poo poo is weakness or someone should just snap themselves out of it and be happy is a douche and should be punched. At the least.

I hope wherever he is now, he's no longer suffering, and finally actually happy.

As someone that's battled with depression and suicidal thoughts from time to time, yea this hits in the gut a little bit. You hit everything right on the head.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

When I think of a serious/dramatic Robin Williams role I always come back to the episode of Homicide:Life on the Street that he was in. He's just so completely far away from the usual energetic comedy roles he had been around the same time.

I'm in Baltimore and on a local talk radio show this morning a random set-worker on Homicide called in and talked about his experience working with Robin Williams for that episode. He said Williams was a drat serious actor, classically trained and incredibly professional.

It may just be because this is still so fresh but it seems like a disproportionate amount of his movies will now be tough to watch without feeling at least a little bit sad. Patch Adams, What Dreams May Come, Aladdin, Awakenings, even Jumanji. His characters all have aspects to them that are extra depressing in light of what's happened.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I never knew about his depression. "Robin Williams dead from suicide" seems like a bunch of words that belong anywhere near each other.

This is exactly how I feel. I am not all that torn up over Robin Williams being dead, people die and it sucks, but it's just how he died is not something I could have imagined reading in a lifetime. Not to him anyway, he was always bigger than life. I had no idea about his depression. He was a huge part of my nostalgia growing up and I am going to go home and watch hook. :cry:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

JayJay posted:

This is exactly how I feel. I am not all that torn up over Robin Williams being dead, people die and it sucks, but it's just how he died is not something I could have imagined reading in a lifetime. Not to him anyway, he was always bigger than life. I had no idea about his depression. He was a huge part of my nostalgia growing up and I am going to go home and watch hook. :cry:

I did this last night. As flawed as a movie it is, still love it.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Robin's death made me, as a lifelong sufferer from Depression, think "It's never going to be easy."

He was literally used by a therapist once as an example of how I could turn my struggles into art (and I like to think that I do) and seeing someone I admired succumb to those shared demons just broke me open yesterday.

I'll second the recommendation that I think someone made in here to listen to the re-posted WTF interview. He and Marc's rapport is fantastic and it's really, beautifully revealing.

I've personally made the plea that people who suffer from suicidal thoughts reach out for help in my little autobio webcomic (the last time I had a really dark night, got drunk, and had to call a hotline for help I made this) and I know I wouldn't have the balls to do that without people like Robin putting their pain on display and helping us understand and sometimes laugh at it.

I'll say it here too, though: If you need help, don't be ashamed. Go and get it. You're not alone.

And of course, I tell you that because I need to hear it sometimes, too.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
It was decided at work that we would watch Robin Williams films in his honor and the first choice was loving Patch Adams. Really? At least it wasn't RV I guess.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
It's a sad world we live in where one of it's most celebrated entertainers can take his own life from depression. Just looking at how people have responded to the news shows how much of an impact he had, and the real tragedy is that he couldn't see it himself. So I don't think he needed an angel Clarence to convince him life was worth living, I think a friend would've been enough. And whilst I don't quite understand people grieving over a man they never met, I do think it's drat shame he's gone.

Though I guess one reason the news comes as such a shock is that some celebrities are treated more as cultural institutions than human beings. You don't expect them to die, because unconsciously you don't even categorise them as mortal. With a moment of thought you know they're just people, but the cult of celebrity has built them up so much that it's easy to forget there's a person underneath it all.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Rocketfish posted:

I don't think I ever sympathized more with Robin until he did a quick cameo on the Harmontown podcast. I could hear it in his voice, this strange bubbling nervousness that comes out as strange voices, jarring jokes, and jabbering a mile a minute. I go through the same thing sometimes when I meet with strangers, and people either find you endearing or a lunatic. Regardless, it seems like no one respects you, least of all yourself. After you've destroyed what could have been a quiet conversation with your borderline hysteria, holy poo poo, there is no crappier feeling than feeling like a buffoon. You can't even articulate your suffering because your own manic brand of humor will take the over the second you feel uncomfortable, and all you say is random gobbeldy gook to distract people.

Its a vicious cycle, one that many "funny" people struggle with their entire lives. Robin shared a lot more of himself than most people dare, and our lives are richer for his contributions, regardless of the wells he drew from. I wish he understood that we all adored his humor and respected him for having the stones to stand in front of a camera while being himself.

Rest in Peace, Robin. I'll never think less of you.

PS Death to Smootchy owns bones

Thanks for this post, it summarizes a lot of the clown/buffoon/spastic-manic-distraction-emoting "funny" people experience.

Mork from Ork helped me believe that there were people that could love aliens/clowns/"funny" people. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's rarely as simple as having a friend around when it comes to depression. It really, really fucks with your mind so much so that no matter what others say it can very easily beat you down hard enough to come to the conclusion that suicide is the only answer. The whole time you can be fully aware of what you contribute to the world around you and how many people care about you, and it can still get you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

My commute takes me by the Mann Chinese theater. The entire block is nothing but news vans this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

JayJay posted:

You know what the worst part is? When you go back and watch his stuff now, especially something like The Fisher King or Good Will Hunting, maybe even something darkly funny like Toys, you’re going to be able to see that expertly hidden but desperate sadness in his performance. Once you find out it’s there you notice it forever.

Speaking of The Fisher King, the whole thing about him running away from the black knight is going to take on another layer of significance now.

• Locked thread