Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pseudoscorpion posted:

As a current Digipen student, Nitronic Rush/Distance is definitely the success story du jour here. Last year so many teams made racing/couch co-op games in the same vein that it was...sort of embarrassing. The projects ranged from crap to actually pretty dang good.
The only racing looking game I could find in the catalog since Nitronic Rush was this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hagvXpg4jCQ
Looks fun, but yeah the mechanics look ripped wholesale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Suspicious Dish posted:

The reason I haven't bought Shovel Knight yet is because I'm unsure if I want the Steam, Wii U or 3DS release. Releasing on multiple platforms might paralyze someone into not making a choice.
I had the same problem but only but only because none of the choices were my preferred platform so I had to debate the merits of each alternative. A PS3 or PS4 port would have made it an easy decision.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Peas and Rice posted:

Goddamn it, this is making me strongly reconsider my "no more backing video game kickstarters" rule. :clint:

If this game was more Sergio Leone and less "Horror creeps in" I'd back it... But I dunno.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

JordanKai posted:

The controversial 90s FMV game Night Trap is being remastered in HD :pcgaming:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped

Howard Lincoln hasn't worked at Nintendo in ages and also nobody gives a poo poo about Night Trap so I dunno

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Mercury Crusader posted:

Howard Lincoln hasn't worked at Nintendo in ages and also nobody gives a poo poo about Night Trap so I dunno
CONTROVERY. It's attention grabbing, right? It will make people pay attention to us? ... right?

Where are you going? Wait, did you watch our video of us all talking? Aren't you impressed? :(

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Kiavahr posted:

The very first gif is of a guy kicking over a table and crouching behind it for cover.

drat, guess I have to throw some money at this. The firefights seem to be deliciously fast-paced and chaotic, and I really like the idea that guns are supposed to do realistic amounts of damage, needing just one good hit to kill or incapacitate people.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So that AR-K kickstarted adventure game is out and I think it looks like poo poo. The writing and voice acting are all over the place, the puzzles are obtuse and awful, and the character models are borderline offensive in how ugly they are.

Here's a review by people who really love adventure games and they tear it apart http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18632

quote:

Alicia needs to find four ingredients for a “corpse reviver” cocktail, one of which is described as “something to clean him out”. At one point she finds an energy drink that describes itself as something that “cleans your arteries, cleans germs”. This seems a clear hint that it is just the ingredient Alicia is looking for, which makes it more than a little frustrating when it turns out that it isn’t. The same energy drink is described as being able to “unblock pipes”. Would you assume from this description that it’s capable of causing a loud explosion? Because that’s exactly what it does, and the game is unsolvable without deducing this.

gently caress that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Sounds like they learned all of the wrong lessons from the point-and-click era.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Sounds like they were fans of Limbo of the Lost.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Cat-hair mustache is the pinnacle of good adventure gaming, right?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

senrath posted:

Sounds like they were fans of Limbo of the Lost.

I mean who wasn't really.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Personally I think its "bread crumbs-seagull-deflated water ring electrical insulation."

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

I mean who wasn't really.
I unironically love the ending credits song. The game might not have sucked, had they, you know, actually had an artist / not stolen everything. The VA is squarely in "endearing B-movie" territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vz4J2rorDE

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Limbo of the Lost was a great game, you can just tell it was inspired by Painkiller and Oblivion. :haw:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Yodzilla posted:

So that AR-K kickstarted adventure game is out and I think it looks like poo poo. The writing and voice acting are all over the place, the puzzles are obtuse and awful, and the character models are borderline offensive in how ugly they are.

Here's a review by people who really love adventure games and they tear it apart http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/18632

gently caress that.
It seems the developers should have spent more time refining the puzzles rather than the jiggle physics.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I think you meant "banana fishing rod".

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Frungy! posted:

drat, guess I have to throw some money at this. The firefights seem to be deliciously fast-paced and chaotic, and I really like the idea that guns are supposed to do realistic amounts of damage, needing just one good hit to kill or incapacitate people.

Also from their latest update, it appears they're shamelessly ripping off XCom's (2012) combat system, which I think is a good idea because that was really great.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Those Night Trap guys must be working with the mob or something to be able to manufacture and ship console games for $20 to your door and still make a profit after Kickstarter takes its cut.

Also the mob must have cut a deal with Microsoft and Sony so that Night Trap ReVamped will be the first Xbox 360 and PS3 games to ever ship in a paper envelope.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I'm not arguing that the game has flaws, but as you can maybe tell from the date of the review vs the release date of the game, they were reviewing the "free beta" version of the game - the full game has an entirely new translation and voice cast (as well as, frustratingly, a bunch of bugs that weren't in the beta)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I think it even has the voice actress of Tali from Mass Effect doing the main character's voicework.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yodzilla posted:

gently caress that.
I'm surprised the game even got funded, I remember seeing the KS video and thinking it looked like absolute poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

ookiimarukochan posted:

I'm not arguing that the game has flaws, but as you can maybe tell from the date of the review vs the release date of the game, they were reviewing the "free beta" version of the game - the full game has an entirely new translation and voice cast (as well as, frustratingly, a bunch of bugs that weren't in the beta)

Yeah I wasn't talking about the translation part, they even updated the review for that but just watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look turns me off from ever touching the game. You can't get past this guard unless you dress sexy! But wait that doesn't matter because once you dress sexy you just have your dog attack him and steal his keys! But that doesn't matter because the door is unlocked!

It's completely nonsensical in the worst adventure game kind of way.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I think it even has the voice actress of Tali from Mass Effect doing the main character's voicework.

From what I heard in the quicklook that's a shame because she clearly didn't get the kind of vocal direction support she needed. It just seems kind of disjointed and off.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Looks like Shantae hit the $900k stretch goal through pre-orders, which means we'll get to play as Rottytops, Sky and Bolo. This was the only stretch goal I actually cared about, so, yay! :neckbeard:

Game's looking solid, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4YQ4l6xX8

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Shalinor posted:

Looks like Shantae hit the $900k stretch goal through pre-orders, which means we'll get to play as Rottytops, Sky and Bolo. This was the only stretch goal I actually cared about, so, yay! :neckbeard:

This is the only game I have backed on kickstarter so far and I am still so glad that I did. :swoon:

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Nintendo's Mortal Combat

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Shalinor posted:

I don't even care that it's not gonna reach its estimated October release, this game is gonna rule.

Though I'm still waiting to buy Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. :(

EDIT: The Night Trap guys bear no ill will towards Nintendo. Well that soun

Hmm...

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 13, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Monkey Island is pretty fun but it's still extremely hard, but Monkey Island 2 is basically impossible without a guide. That was my huge barrier to enjoying them. I eventually just started using a guide for every puzzle in Monkey Island 2, confident in my decision because I never would have figured out the majority of that poo poo.

Ironically I skipped Curse for reasons unknown.

You should go play Curse right now, it's my favorite game of the entire series. The humor is spot on, the puzzles are much more logical than in MI2, and it's got Murray, Bloodnose the Pirate, a pirate barbershop quartet, El Pollo Diablo, Dinghy Dog™, rhyming insult sword fighting, Stan and a whole bunch of other good stuff.

ScummVM fully supports it, and remember to play on "Mega Monkey" mode.

Illessa
Aug 31, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

You should go play Curse right now, it's my favorite game of the entire series. The humor is spot on, the puzzles are much more logical than in MI2, and it's got Murray, Bloodnose the Pirate, a pirate barbershop quartet, El Pollo Diablo, Dinghy Dog™, rhyming insult sword fighting, Stan and a whole bunch of other good stuff.

ScummVM fully supports it, and remember to play on "Mega Monkey" mode.

Yeah Curse was actually my first MI, and I always find myself rolling my eyes at the people who disavow it in order to masturbate over Ron Gilbert's hypothetical third game. It's beautiful, and has some of the funniest scenes in the series (no doubt in part due to being the debut of the fantastic voice cast).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I've never played a Shantae game, but to me that looks incredibly dull. Pretty, but dull. It looks like a 3rd party platforming game from the early NES era - something like a proto Bonk's Adventure. Maybe its just really early in development but that video makes it look like it's the most basic of basic platformers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I've never played a Shantae game, but to me that looks incredibly dull. Pretty, but dull. It looks like a 3rd party platforming game from the early NES era - something like a proto Bonk's Adventure. Maybe its just really early in development but that video makes it look like it's the most basic of basic platformers.

That's pretty much on par for Shantae. They're very good looking games, but also kind of really boring and simple.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favorite games of all time and I would throw an ungodly amount of money at a Kickstarter to make an HD version of it with all the art and animation intact.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Great Rumbler posted:

Curse of Monkey Island is one of my favorite games of all time and I would throw an ungodly amount of money at a Kickstarter to make an HD version of it with all the art and animation intact.

I wonder if they kept high-res files or originals of all those beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds.

If they did, an HD version wouldn't even be too hard to make.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I'd just kickstart a proper ending to Curse of Monkey Island. The game is almost the best effort Lucasarts put out and the game just sputters out at the end without a satisfying conclusion. Apparently the budget just ran out on the original ending.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Hank Morgan posted:

I'd just kickstart a proper ending to Curse of Monkey Island. The game is almost the best effort Lucasarts put out and the game just sputters out at the end without a satisfying conclusion. Apparently the budget just ran out on the original ending.

The only thing that we really missed was a cutscene explaining how Elaine switched the rollercoaster tracks, and Guybrush wasn't turned into an undead skeleton. But yeah, I really want an HD version of Curse of Monkey Island. I'd even be fine with a re-release on steam since my disc doesn't work anymore.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if they kept high-res files or originals of all those beautiful hand-drawn backgrounds.

If they did, an HD version wouldn't even be too hard to make.

Well, it still might be since they weren't made for 16:9, so some screens wouldn't fit. Lucasarts is dead, though, I doubt anyone's ever going to do anything with that game.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

feedmyleg posted:

Agreed, I can't make any sense over all of the drooling in the youtube comments.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://arabicgirls.ytmnd.com/

I.M.H.O.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Nah, they're just solid platformers focused on exploration, which is kinda rare in this day and age. It's the same reason we all loved Shadow Complex despite it being a not-terribly-good game (with coincidentally awesome VA), and why I'm playing Strider right now in spite of it being arguably worse than Shadow Complex.

That sequence is straightforward, but that isn't unusual. You do levels like that to break up the play occasionally. It's also still waaaay alpha, so who knows how it'll look by release.

EDIT: Correction, this is why I like it. Goomba Guy With Sword appears to like it primarily for plunging tops and flirty dancing. :ughh:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLt3f3ZGwM

To deny Shantae's hella bodacious moves is 100 times more shameful than anything the Senran Kagura dude has ever said or done.

quakster fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 13, 2014