Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Can the lantern still pick up souls while Thresh is not even near any danger?
Can Thresh save a completely stunlocked person by throwing a lantern over a wall?

If the answer is yes, he is still very much viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Speaking of "Holy Christ why would you pick that champion," do any of you see much success trying to sway people's decisions in champ select?

I understand that (especially in Silver where I am) "what you're good at" is the ideal pick but you still see people completely counterpick themselves or pick champs nerfed to uselessness which is an enormous handicap even if they've mastered their champ.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Poulpe posted:

I understand that (especially in Silver where I am) "what you're good at" is the ideal pick but you still see people completely counterpick themselves or pick champs nerfed to uselessness which is an enormous handicap even if they've mastered their champ.

Only if the person playing the counter knows and understands how to exploit that advantage.

You've got the problem the wrong way around, the problem isn't people who know the ins and outs of a champion picking them into a "counterpick", it's the people who pick a champion they've never played before because some guide somewhere said they were the counter to the champion on the other team, and they seem to think this means and instant guaranteed win for their lane if not the game.

And using the term counterpick is a terrible way to describe it in my opinion.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I've been trying to talk my Mage savant friend out of continuing to play LeBlanc. He keeps picking her into horrible matchups and then losing really badly and then the next game he picks something like Ahri and dominates and I'm like "Tim it's because they made LeBlanc so bad they didn't want anyone to play her, just keep playing Ahri, look how good you are doing!!!" and then he still busts out LeBlanc a few games later. He just has a LeBlanc addiction he can't contain himself.

In solo queue with strangers you will never talk people out of picks and it's generally not productive to try. People generally don't make picks for bad reasons unless you see something typed in chat like "omg I don't have any idea how to play <x> but he was open so I had to!!!" then you are screwed.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I almost never say anything about champion in ranked champ select, unless we're discussing bans. People discuss roles, and may rarely mention multiple champs they play in order to give the rest of the team an idea of team composition, but generally almost no good comes out of trying to pressure someone's specific champion pick. I've seen so many cases of "underpowered" champions rofflestomp because their player has practiced them and the opposing team has no idea how to play against them. Conversely, I've seen a ton of cases where someone either gets pressured into a "counterpick" or to take an "OP champ" and then get absolutely dumpstered because they don't know how to play it (and because it's meta, someone on the other team knows how to punish it).

Heck, that happened last time I saw the other team pick Kassadin after a long pick timer. I'm pretty sure the other team was yelling at him that it was open and to pick it, and he finally caved. So I took Syndra and made him irrelevant for the entire game because he had no idea how to play safely enough to survive pre-6 laning. The roaming snowball is irrelevant when it never gets started.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I constantly tell people not to play Vayne or Quinn. There's plenty of safe easy ADCs to choose from, they are almost always insufferable shitheads.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Corbeau posted:

I almost never say anything about champion in ranked champ select, unless we're discussing bans. People discuss roles, and may rarely mention multiple champs they play in order to give the rest of the team an idea of team composition, but generally almost no good comes out of trying to pressure someone's specific champion pick.

This is my strategy, I don't want anyone playing a champ they don't know on my team (unless it's me of course because Dunning Kruger)

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Rudager posted:

Only if the person playing the counter knows and understands how to exploit that advantage.

You've got the problem the wrong way around, the problem isn't people who know the ins and outs of a champion picking them into a "counterpick", it's the people who pick a champion they've never played before because some guide somewhere said they were the counter to the champion on the other team, and they seem to think this means and instant guaranteed win for their lane if not the game.

And using the term counterpick is a terrible way to describe it in my opinion.

Yeah I get this completely - just yesterday my teammate autolocked Xin because "he wasn't banned" and went on to buy Wriggles and not complete Feral Flare in a 45 minute game.

It's just hard sometimes reading this thread and/or the patch notes and watching your teammate walk into the "Thresh is still OP" trap. LeBlanc is another good example - you see someone choose her but not lock and I just want to go "Nooo! She's not good any more! Please don't!"

The counterpick bit was a bad example, admittedly.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 12, 2014

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

quote:

Zed
Death Mark now places Zed behind his prey and allows him to ignore unit collision while active, finally making him a real-er ninja.

Zed lost a lot in 4.10 with our marksman itemization changes, but he's still performing consistently at the highest levels of play. That said, we saw we could give him some small usability buffs to help him stick to his Death Marked targets better.
R - Death Mark
NEWTHE UNSEEN ZED IS THE DEADLIEST When Zed uses Death Mark on a target, he dashes in front of them ⇒ behind them
NEWTHE UNBLOCKABLE ZED IS THE DEADLIEST Zed now ignores unit collision while the Death Mark is active on a target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Odi6y_s3hg

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Poulpe posted:

Yeah I get this completely - just yesterday my teammate autolocked Xin because "he wasn't banned" and went on to buy Wriggles and not complete Feral Flare in a 45 minute game.

It's just hard sometimes reading this thread and/or the patch notes and watching your teammate walk into the "Thresh is still OP" trap. LeBlanc is another good example - you see someone choose her but not lock and I just want to go "Nooo! She's not good any more! Please don't!"

It's the same problem again, just instead of people picking "counterpicks" they don't know how to play because they never play them, they're playing the perceived OP champions with no idea how to play because they never play them.

LB isn't that bad currently, but that's assuming you know how to use her.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Poulpe posted:

I will Autolock Xin and build Feral Flare because I like playing him and he's one of the few remaining champs that can make Flare work.

The 45 minute thing is a huge problem, though.

quote:

LeBlanc has always been a trap champ if you haven't completely mastered her.

The really weird thing is people who freak out about perfectly normal picks? We had an AD damage top and I picked Nautilus and they spent the first ten minutes getting upset about the Naut pick. He's not OP at all but he's a solid champ right now, and I've probably played more Nautilus than anyone in the thread.

^^ edit: Actually, LeBlanc is super bad and sucks

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Rudager posted:

It's the same problem again, just instead of people picking "counterpicks" they don't know how to play because they never play them, they're playing the perceived OP champions with no idea how to play because they never play them.

LB isn't that bad currently, but that's assuming you know how to use her.

No Leblanc is definitely terrible now. Like I said, my friend who has been playing her regularly as one of his mains for over a year (hundreds of games probably) where I've seen him dominate games relentlessly he now only gets crushed on her in pretty much every matchup. The removal of her silence was probably one of the most ruthless nerfs ever bestowed on a champion.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Her big thing was being able to silence targets so they couldn't respond to her decent damage. Now if she tries to trade with you at any point, you just use your abilities on her and you'll probably win the trade. The nerfs were really really bad.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Libertine posted:

I've been trying to talk my Mage savant friend out of continuing to play LeBlanc. He keeps picking her into horrible matchups and then losing really badly and then the next game he picks something like Ahri and dominates and I'm like "Tim it's because they made LeBlanc so bad they didn't want anyone to play her, just keep playing Ahri, look how good you are doing!!!" and then he still busts out LeBlanc a few games later. He just has a LeBlanc addiction he can't contain himself.

In solo queue with strangers you will never talk people out of picks and it's generally not productive to try. People generally don't make picks for bad reasons unless you see something typed in chat like "omg I don't have any idea how to play <x> but he was open so I had to!!!" then you are screwed.

More or less deleting LeBlanc from the game is one of their better design decisions.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

They are silenced when they are dead

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Not even Faker dares to play Leblanc anymore.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
New patch notes!

quote:

Kassadin

R - Riftwalk
WAS MORE LIKE A RIFTSPRINT 12 seconds ⇒ 20 seconds
:magical:

e: Oh that's just how long it takes before his ult stacks reset. Nevermind.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 12, 2014

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
imo silences in league need to be re-worked because their current function is kind of stupid. silences are supposed to counter mages and prevent them from casting spells, but because all abilities are considered spells it just counters everyone. they should sort all the abilities into physical/magical. change that, and then give LB hers back.

it makes sense that a silenced Syndra can't do her magic sphere poo poo, but it doesn't make sense that a silenced Darius can't swing an axe at you.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

Rengar

R - Thrill of the Hunt
newX-RAY CAT FINDER : Warning indicator now appears even if Rengar is in the fog of war while stealthed. In other words, if Rengar is within 1250 range of any opponent while stealthed via Thrill of the Hunt, they will be notified

Cya FIGHTCAT, was fun while it lasted.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

quote:

Corki

Soon!?

General

SOON Soon.

Don't tell me they're gonna buff triforce/Corki just in times for Worlds again. I'll loving die laughing if it happens, seriously.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Probably just a really funny meta joke by the patch notes team, who in general are pretty funny.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Lovechop posted:

imo silences in league need to be re-worked because their current function is kind of stupid. silences are supposed to counter mages and prevent them from casting spells, but because all abilities are considered spells it just counters everyone. they should sort all the abilities into physical/magical. change that, and then give LB hers back.

it makes sense that a silenced Syndra can't do her magic sphere poo poo, but it doesn't make sense that a silenced Darius can't swing an axe at you.

I think as a game mechanic it's way easier to understand that silence = no abilities than to try to suss out what is a physical and what is a magical damange ability, or to try to apply an ultimately irrelevant logic test to it ( since Riot has never even attempted to have the physical/magic damage thing make sense based on the ability itself. Is Zed's Death Mark really any less a spell than Syndra's ult? Why is buster shot or Mundo's cleaver magical?). The latter places a pretty large burden of knowledge on players, and gives you weird edge cases with mixed damage champions.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I've seen some absolutely monstrous FF Udyr junglers lately. They play it a lot like a tankier Yi: farm, split push, and win duels/skirmishes in the jungle. If a team can't respond quickly and smartly, or they don't have a better duelist on their team, it's bad times for them. Udyr pushes like mad, eats towers like crazy, and is near impossible to catch and kill when he's ahead.

Matazat
Aug 12, 2011

Hey guys, I recently made it into Challenger using Syndra so I put together a little guide. hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh4BA_T7S4

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Libertine posted:

No Leblanc is definitely terrible now. Like I said, my friend who has been playing her regularly as one of his mains for over a year (hundreds of games probably) where I've seen him dominate games relentlessly he now only gets crushed on her in pretty much every matchup. The removal of her silence was probably one of the most ruthless nerfs ever bestowed on a champion.

I believe the patch text was "No silence, only tears."

Still, saw a decent LB in a game of mine, even if I did have to save her with a well timed Nocturne ult once or twice. That's good going for Gold V

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just watched the Gnar video and he is going to be so good in the right hands.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Hmm, Lulu gets her polymorph dropped by 0.25 seconds, and it's claimed to be a bugfix/tooltip correction. I wonder how long it's been 1.25-2.25 seconds. I'd be very surprised if it was actually 1.25-2.25 seconds all along since the day she was released and somehow no one ever noticed until recently.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Matazat posted:

Hey guys, I recently made it into Challenger using Syndra so I put together a little guide. hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlh4BA_T7S4

NEver stop doing these

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

He makes me think of Poppy because of the "knocks into walls to stun" thing, but he's also going to be much more flexible on what he can do. So, something like a more viable Poppy with some Kennen and Sivir thrown in for good measure.

fnox
May 19, 2013

You guys just wait for the inevitable barrage of supp/mid Gnars feeding every game.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

NEver stop doing these

Yeah, these are great. I went up two divisions already.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Giodo! posted:

I think as a game mechanic it's way easier to understand that silence = no abilities than to try to suss out what is a physical and what is a magical damange ability, or to try to apply an ultimately irrelevant logic test to it ( since Riot has never even attempted to have the physical/magic damage thing make sense based on the ability itself. Is Zed's Death Mark really any less a spell than Syndra's ult? Why is buster shot or Mundo's cleaver magical?). The latter places a pretty large burden of knowledge on players, and gives you weird edge cases with mixed damage champions.

I guess it does, but I just think that's the only way that silences can achieve their intended purpose (countering mages) without being completely retarded, like LB and Kass' silences were. That's what WoW does anyway and it makes total sense in that game at least.

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Gnar looks like he'll be really fun, even if he'll be hard to play. I might actually pick him up on release.

I don't really care for any of the patch changes besides the Kassadin nerf. I don't think champions like Rengar or Orianna needed a nerf.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

I constantly tell people not to play Vayne or Quinn. There's plenty of safe easy ADCs to choose from, they are almost always insufferable shitheads.

One of my better friends on this game practiced Vayne mechanics with 70 games and regularly wins with her to the point that it seems easy to win lane as Vayne. His CSing is flawless and his teamfight mechanics are so honed that people don't even get mad when he aces their team because they are just that impressed. On his grind to diamond he played Vayne more or less every single game and rarely ever lost. Why would you deny a person like this from playing their best champion?

Obviously not all Vaynes are like that, but the possibility that people actually know what they're doing on a champion you like isn't worth discounting. What is even more important not to discount is that people might not know how to play these "safe easy ADCs" nearly as well. Another thing not to discount is that telling people not to pick their favourite champion is an easy way to get a few people irked if you actually press them.

Just let people play what they want, as long as it doesn't directly gently caress up your team comp irreparably(eg: you have syndra mid, rumble top, jungle sejuani, support nami and you need one AD champion and the last pick is botlane APC Veigar) it's really not to anyone's benefit to call people out for doing stuff you don't like.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

That maokai nerf to his ulti, ugh. They nerfed his problem skill (twisted advance doing far too much damage and having far too good AP scaling on it) so why did they have to nerf his defencive steroid >:|

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lovechop posted:

I guess it does, but I just think that's the only way that silences can achieve their intended purpose (countering mages) without being completely retarded, like LB and Kass' silences were. That's what WoW does anyway and it makes total sense in that game at least.

There's some abilities that are balanced in a certain way by being magic or physical damage that they'd have to fiddle with for that to work. For example, will Jayce's Hammer E be considered physical or magic? How about Nidalee spears? Etc.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I still think the rage lttle/big transformation not being anywhere near as controllable as other transformations is going to be a major handicap that people just don't realise yet.

It's going to need very specific timings for a group fight to take advantage of it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

4.14 posted:

Targeting an ally with Zilean's Q - Time Bomb no longer pops their spellshield effects

Why, WHY didn't I know about this before they fixed it?

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

I'll go out on a limb and say that if he does show up in competitive at all, it's going to be based on his stats and numbers being overtuned and not his actual synergy with the team. I think the uncontrollable nature of rage is just going to be too limiting despite how disruptive he can be (two stuns + two snares which are chainable is obviously bananas when you can land them). Like, imagine you're doing the baron dance - Gnar has to get to one ability away from transformation and never use anything else till the fight starts and be super careful never to spontaneously autoattack and push himself over.

That being said, he's very cool, and I think that he will do well for himself in solo queue once people gain some basic mastery of his abilities. You've got a 'get out of gank free' card, can punish positioning mistakes with boomerang, and Mega Gnar is probably a gnarly turret diver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Rudager posted:

I still think the rage lttle/big transformation not being anywhere near as controllable as other transformations is going to be a major handicap that people just don't realise yet.

It's going to need very specific timings for a group fight to take advantage of it.

I don't think it will really- if people poke and trade with impunity yes, Gnar will transform at inopportune times, but if you actually keep an eye on your meter and look for favorable opportunities he'll be fine. It's kind of like keeping Rumble in "The Danger Zone" until you're ready to overheat.

• Locked thread