Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

Anything from PCGamer is almost certainly bullshit.

Given the writing in the game so far, I am 100% willing to believe that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I would recommend people stay away from Velvet Assassin even if it was free. A massive waste of bandwidth and hard drive space.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Eruonen posted:

I would recommend people stay away from Velvet Assassin even if it was free. A massive waste of bandwidth and hard drive space.

Care to expand a little on that?

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
It's actually a pretty okay little game. Worth a dollar.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

It's actually a pretty okay little game. Worth a dollar.

It's a bit dated strange little stealth-lite game where you stab the crap out of a billion nazis. Well worth a buck and a few hours of play time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the "other games" section in the game library supposed to be for? All that's in there for me is Pinball Arcade.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the "other games" section in the game library supposed to be for? All that's in there for me is Pinball Arcade.

Uncategorized games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe I've asked this before, but what's with games that have both partial and full controller support? Is this some superposition thing? I just read a lovely article asking whether quantum computing was the future of PC games but I doubt that has happened yet.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

pentyne posted:

Anything from PCGamer is almost certainly bullshit.

This person is fifteen years old.

Orv posted:

Risen 3: If you have an undying love for European jank RPGs, pick it up when it hits $10. Maybe don't otherwise.

How janky is it? This is six games into the Gothic/Risen series now?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Brannock posted:

Care to expand a little on that?

It's one of those stealth games where there's some very specific sequences you have to follow to stay hidden successfully and the only way to discover them is trial and error. The open combat isn't very great so its not even fun to learn the patterns you need to if you're so inclined.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

How janky is it? This is six games into the Gothic/Risen series now?

Orv posted:

So when I say European jank, I mean;
  • Poor but hilarious voice acting
  • Questionably designed but at least serviceable combat (It has killmoves from Skyrim and you can pull out a pistol to shoot a thing in the face any time you want)
  • Cliches from sun up until "Oh look it's an eclipse here come the undead" sundown
  • Decent quests, but barely an explanation of what you're supposed to do with them
  • Confusing and occasionally arbitrary systems

If you've played Risen 1, or the Gothic games, or if you can imagine STALKER as a third person RPG instead of an FPS, you're pretty much familiar with what's on the table. It's certainly more playable and looks nicer than any RPG Piranha has made before, but it's still super janky, super old school and really questionable.

I'm not one of the "Never ever buy things that aren't 90% off!" people, in fact I'm kind of the opposite when it comes to supporting devs, but really really don't buy this for $60 unless you somehow have a carnal need for what I just described. Even then, it was on sale for half-off before it even launched, just have some patience and look around.

Still that janky.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Is Risen 3 more like the original or the sequel? I loved the first game but really couldn't get into the second.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheIllestVillain posted:

Is Risen 3 more like the original or the sequel? I loved the first game but really couldn't get into the second.

It plays more like 2 but with the magic, exploration, factions and quests of 1.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe I've asked this before, but what's with games that have both partial and full controller support? Is this some superposition thing? I just read a lovely article asking whether quantum computing was the future of PC games but I doubt that has happened yet.
The guidelines for full control support tend to mean you can launch the game without hitting a launcher and can use the controller without configuration. Partial is for cases where there is controller support but you have to enable it. It's a useful identifier for Big Picture Mode, but it's a bit patchy across games iirc.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Yodzilla posted:

This person is fifteen years old.

Jesus christ, no kidding. "I actually clapped." It reads like a particularly bad tumblr post. Fuuuuck I hope that guy doesn't get paid for that poo poo.

Apparently I own both Sacred 2 and Risen 2. Which one should I play if I want to play an explore-y game and maybe mess around with a cool combat system and not have to deal with RPG bullshit? Are either of them worth it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Stan Taylor posted:

quote:

Sacred 2 and Risen 2.
...maybe mess around with a cool combat system and not have to deal with RPG bullshit? Are either of them worth it?
Uhhhhhhhhh pick something else.

EDIT: Why are you asking if you should play an RPG when you don't want to deal with an RPG?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Stan Taylor posted:

Jesus christ, no kidding. "I actually clapped." It reads like a particularly bad tumblr post. Fuuuuck I hope that guy doesn't get paid for that poo poo.

Are you kidding? "To kick your rear end" is the dumbest, kick rear end and chew bubble gum line I've heard in a game in years. I'd clap too for the sheer stupid audacity.

Edit: It's as ridiculous as "Nah," from the end of System Shock 2.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Here's the tone of Risen 3:

When your character is killed at the end of the tutorial, the game cuts to the scene of you being buried and "QUEST CANCELED: FIND THE LOST TREASURE" pops up on screen during the funeral. It knows full well what it's doing.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The guidelines for full control support tend to mean you can launch the game without hitting a launcher and can use the controller without configuration. Partial is for cases where there is controller support but you have to enable it. It's a useful identifier for Big Picture Mode, but it's a bit patchy across games iirc.

Yeah, so how can a game have both full and partial support?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah, so how can a game have both full and partial support?

Manual configuration available for off-brand stuff, typically.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Samurai Sanders posted:

It actually somewhat is.

Full Controller Support means the game can be launched, configured, and played using only a controller.
Partial Controller Support means that some part of the game requires a keyboard or mouse.

Generally when a game has both it means that it has native support for an Xbox controller out of the box (Full) but other controllers require in-game configuration (therefore Partial).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Propaganda Hour posted:

Are you kidding? "To kick your rear end" is the dumbest, kick rear end and chew bubble gum line I've heard in a game in years. I'd clap too for the sheer stupid audacity.

Edit: It's as ridiculous as "Nah," from the end of System Shock 2.

I'm sure the line in the game is cheesy and rad, "I actually clapped" is some lovely writing though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
In an attempt to make some small dent in my backlog, I've finally gotten around to finishing the Knife of Dunwall DLC for Dishonored. I liked it, I guess. I played the base game as non-lethal as possible but with KoD I pretty much just killed anyone in my way. After all, Corvo was just a bodyguard trying to do right by his queen whereas Daud is an assassin. Like, it's on his resume. Anyways it wasn't nearly as interesting when I could just poof any enemy into nothingness but warping around murdering goons is still pretty fun. The story didn't really interest me all that much and I wish they had added more in terms of mechanics but it was a pretty ok ride.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

It actually somewhat is.

Full Controller Support means the game can be launched, configured, and played using only a controller.
Partial Controller Support means that some part of the game requires a keyboard or mouse.

Generally when a game has both it means that it has native support for an Xbox controller out of the box (Full) but other controllers require in-game configuration (therefore Partial).

Dark Souls has partial controller support and I'm pretty sure the only thing you use the keyboard for is putting your name in.

edit: if you have a controller plugged in anyway.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Are there any good mods for the Dawn of War series? I've got soulstorm installed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Are there any good mods for the Dawn of War series? I've got soulstorm installed.

Uninstall Soulstorm. Also no there aren't.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Risen 3 is really fun so far, but I love PB games so I dunno what they're like to non-fans.

I'd describe 3 as a pirate version of risen 1, or rather a pirate version of gothic 1, right down to the 3 major factions. The combat is what you would expect; I wouldn't compare it favorably to skyrim or the witcher, but those games have barely passable combat to begin with (I'd argue combat was never the point in any case). It's cool because now you can be the swashbuckling pirate, the gunmaster supreme, or the wacky wizard (or the knight? I haven't gotten that far to see any 2handers). Or all of the above, it doesn't make you choose a faction until late. And the factions are affected by how good/evil you are. The more evil you are the less likely humans are to work with you, but you also gain demonic trust.

But yeah you can find the game on sale, give it a shot. Play Risen 1, 2, both or neither. I played 1 and 2 and other than tons of references there isn't any required knowledge coming into it.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I remember these .gifs being from a YouTube video, I can't find it through Google. Anyone know what it was?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Orv posted:

Uninstall Soulstorm. Also no there aren't.

Too late i enjoy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PrinceRandom posted:

Too late i enjoy it.

I'm so sorry.

Pirate Jet posted:

I remember these .gifs being from a YouTube video, I can't find it through Google. Anyone know what it was?

This one. I've been meaning to replay Dishonored in this fashion since I haven't yet done High Chaos, just being as flashy and murderous as possible. Probably not as well though.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 13, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

PrinceRandom posted:

As someone who worked on some mods for DOW ... not really, because the people behind them were terrible Warhammer40k spergs and actively made anyone who tried to enjoy the game on its own merits feel lovely.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

Apparently I own both Sacred 2 and Risen 2. Which one should I play if I want to play an explore-y game and maybe mess around with a cool combat system and not have to deal with RPG bullshit? Are either of them worth it?

I can't really speak for Risen 2, but Sacred does have one advantage.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yo so everytime i start steam up it fails to recognize the steam library on my G:/ hard drive. i.e. not my C drive. I've tried opting in and out of the beta to no avail. If I try to install a game it tells me to select my steam library and detects everything fine, but it's totes annoying.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RBA Starblade posted:

Might be installed Free to Play games you don't technically 'own' until you buy a piece of DLC off the Steam Store so it counts towards your game total. At least, that's what it seems to be for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Palpek posted:

I'd go with Dishonored then.

Y'know, I never did get very far in Dishonored. Like only to the first real level. Should give it another try.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Y'know, I never did get very far in Dishonored. Like only to the first real level. Should give it another try.

The trick is to not treat it like a normal stealth game. If you get detected, don't quickload. Blink away like a maniac or just kill everyone.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Dark Souls has partial controller support and I'm pretty sure the only thing you use the keyboard for is putting your name in.

edit: if you have a controller plugged in anyway.
Having wrestled with Dark Souls not an hour ago I disagree - GFWL is still a bitch.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Palpek posted:

I'd go with Dishonored then.

That poo poo looks so nuts but when I play it it's so obvious that that's not how you're supposed to play the combat feels so janky.

A whole game that was basically a Dishonored raging murder game without the jank would be amazing.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Sober posted:

As someone who worked on some mods for DOW ... not really, because the people behind them were terrible Warhammer40k spergs and actively made anyone who tried to enjoy the game on its own merits feel lovely.

Shame. I know literally nothing about Warhammer but picked up the whole series on a sale (oops).

I feel like there's another strategy game that I can't name that has a resource system like Dawn of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

That poo poo looks so nuts but when I play it it's so obvious that that's not how you're supposed to play the combat feels so janky.

A whole game that was basically a Dishonored raging murder game without the jank would be amazing.

I feel that the only game that gets the feel shown in those gifs constantly and consistently is Hotline Miami.
Yeah you don't have superpowers.
But it feels like those gifs.

• Locked thread