Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Koalas March posted:

My favorite is "race baiter".

Basically this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

D_I posted:

One does not preclude the other.

I know but why would a cop light a dumpster on fire? There's looting and poo poo going on and the police can't escalate their response unless they have some landmines or gundams handy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Basically this:

coolie hat and karate pajamas on one lady, black guy stabbing a white person, holy poo poo.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Real hurthling! posted:

coolie hat and karate pajamas on one lady, black guy stabbing a white person, holy poo poo.

Kelly is the cartoonist for the onion.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
Now a St. Louis County cop has shot someone who was allegedly pointing a handgun at him. This is EXACTLY what was needed, another police shooting. Man is in critical condition.. loving poo poo christ.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
TheAnonMessage ‏@TheAnonMessage 42m

BREAKING: #Anonymous has obtained audio files of police dispatch and EMS during the #MikeBrown shooting. Will release ASAP.

TheAnonMessage ‏@TheAnonMessage 35m

MORE: We will release these audio files to the public in the very near future. (Approx 6-8 hours from now).

(So ... 10 AM - noon EST, I guess.)

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
edit: not newsworthy

Bastaman Vibration fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Aug 13, 2014

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

To be fair most folks who hate Al Sharpton dislike him because he's black and vocal about racism. "Opportunist" and "the real racist" and "playing the race card to make money" and all that poo poo, codewords for uppity.

Al Sharpton is one of the few living Americans who can claim to have started two race riots. He is the ultimate con artist who doesn't care about killing people to make his buck. You don't have to support him to condemn the police executing Michael Brown and militarizing the city over the last three days. Shame on anyone who is trying to shoehorn their garbage pet issues into this.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

meat sweats posted:

Al Sharpton is one of the few living Americans who can claim to have started two race riots. He is the ultimate con artist who doesn't care about killing people to make his buck. You don't have to support him to condemn the police executing Michael Brown and militarizing the city over the last three days. Shame on anyone who is trying to shoehorn their garbage pet issues into this.

One of Al Sharpton's pet issues is that the cops tend to shoot and kill, or arrest on specious grounds, young black men.

Seems like it pretty much applies here, don't it?

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Obdicut posted:

One of Al Sharpton's pet issues is that the cops tend to shoot and kill, or arrest on specious grounds, young black men.

Seems like it pretty much applies here, don't it?

Hey, tell us more about how all cops are great people and nothing is their fault.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

meat sweats posted:

Hey, tell us more about how all cops are great people and nothing is their fault.

I don't think that all cops are great people and nothing is their fault, so that's a kind of weird thing to ask me to tell you.

Can you explain what Al Sharpton's pet issues are that he's trying to force through here, other than "Black people get treated in a disproportionately bad way by the police and justice system"?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

meat sweats posted:

Taking a break from your frothing hate of bisexuals to hate on black people now? Wait is this some weird Dan Savage Gimmick? Anyways does anyone have more info on the dude that got shot?

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Taking a break from your frothing hate of bisexuals to hate on black people now? Wait is this some weird Dan Savage Gimmick? Anyways does anyone have more info on the dude that got shot?

I don't think Obdicut is black, but I do know he spent the whole police reform thread telling us that cops are never responsible for anything and anyone who has a problem with cops is an idiot, because he drinks with cops and they are upstanding people, and we need to have "systemic reform" which he refuses to define as anything but "continuing to be #1 Apologist For Cops while asserting liberal-reformist cred because I saw The Wire once." That he's showing his Internet face in this thread, where the consequences of his authoritarian ball-licking are on full display, is shameful.

What's going on in Ferguson is a total loving disgrace and should be a wake-up call to anyone with a shred of honesty or shame that cops in this country are out of control. I don't know how much more clear I can be about this. People who look at this situation and think "oh boy, an opportunity to rehabilitate the reputation of scumbag Al Sharpton" rather than "destroy the police state" should be shouted down.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

meat sweats posted:

What's going on in Ferguson is a total loving disgrace and should be a wake-up call to anyone with a shred of honesty or shame that cops in this country are out of control. I don't know how much more clear I can be about this. People who look at this situation and think "oh boy, an opportunity to rehabilitate the reputation of scumbag Al Sharpton" rather than "destroy the police state" should be shouted down.

Ah yes, more shitnoonesaid.txt. Also I think you give yourself away when you say "shouted down" since that's basically admitting that you have no logical or emotional appeal to your arguments, all you have is volume.

So have the cops said under what conditions they will ever release the killer's name?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

meat sweats posted:

I don't think Obdicut is black, but I do know he spent the whole police reform thread telling us that cops are never responsible for anything and anyone who has a problem with cops is an idiot, because he drinks with cops and they are upstanding people, and we need to have "systemic reform" which he refuses to define as anything but "continuing to be #1 Apologist For Cops while asserting liberal-reformist cred because I saw The Wire once." That he's showing his Internet face in this thread, where the consequences of his authoritarian ball-licking are on full display, is shameful.

I was referring to the Sharpton comments, honestly what the gently caress is your problem,you're so goddamn hateful and honestly if you're white this poo poo is not helpful please stop.

Also Zeitgeist the person you originally quoted who apparently set you off on this rant is not a liberal so your liberal reformist point makes zero sense.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

meat sweats posted:

Yeah, this is all bullshit obviously. Here's a couple posts where I talk about what systemic reform I think is necessary.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646642&userid=186902#post432608825
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646642&userid=186902#post432745605

quote:

Part of what's going on in Ferguson is a racial disparity in the way that black people are policed. This is something that Al Sharpton has talked about and crusaded about his whole life, however sincere or competent you find that crusade. It is completely okay to not want to 'destroy the police state' but instead 'stop having such a racially biased model of policing'.

And that racially biased model has it's roots in political systems, which can be seen by the ethnic makeup of Ferguson's government vs. its citizens.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the posted:

When people tell me that America is a place of freedom where everyone has a voice, I just want to point to Ferguson.

You think an "Arab Spring" could ever happen here? No loving way. They would literally shoot all of us with armored tanks. And that isn't hyperbole either.

Makes sense, no Arab protestors ever had to deal with anything like armored tanks.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can we talk about the second shooting instead of replying to some idiot?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radbot posted:

Can we talk about the second shooting instead of replying to some idiot?

All I know about it is

quote:

At about 1 a.m., a St. Louis County Police officer shot and critically wounded a man who police said pointed a handgun at the officer near the intersection of West Florissant and Chambers Road.

The shooting happened near Chambers and Sheffingdell Court, not far from the site of protests against police over the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. The location is less than a mile from the QuikTrip on West Florissant that was looted and burned Sunday night.

Police said they received a call reporting about four to five men in the area armed with shotguns and wearing ski masks. They also got reports of shots fired in the area. Police officers arrived and saw "multiple subjects running," said police spokesman Officer Brian Schellman.

An officer approached one of the men and he pulled a handgun on the officer who then fired, Schellman said.

Police said they recovered the handgun at the scene. The man was taken to a hospital.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Ah, well if that story is true it sounds like the shooting was unfortunately justified.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
And there's absolutely no reason to believe the police account. Remember what the early press communications were about Brown?

meat sweats posted:

Al Sharpton has put in more work and been more demonized than any man in the United States besides Jesse Jackson. He's not perfect and he's not in MLK's league but you are certainly using the exact language against him that Jim Crow whites used against MLK.

How do you start a "race riot" all by yourself? Are black people just that stupid?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So they shot the unarmed black kid with hands up ten times, including after he falls prone, and leave his body in the street for hours, but the guy pointing a gun at an officer gets shot just once and rushed to the hospital.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

greatn posted:

So they shot the unarmed black kid with hands up ten times, including after he falls prone, and leave his body in the street for hours, but the guy pointing a gun at an officer gets shot just once and rushed to the hospital.

Medics probably declared him dead on scene. Then again his clothes didn't look hosed up enough for a full code workup to be done on him.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Did they really leave his body out in the open for hours? Because I've been an eye witness to a motorcycle crash causing death and they remove the body pretty drat quickly since all the officer needs is to photograph the body at several angles.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 13, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Radbot posted:

Ah, well if that story is true it sounds like the shooting was unfortunately justified.

Why should anyone trust that story for a moment without outside verification?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

And there's absolutely no reason to believe the police account. Remember what the early press communications were about Brown?

Al Sharpton has put in more work and been more demonized than any man in the United States besides Jesse Jackson. He's not perfect and he's not in MLK's league but you are certainly using the exact language against him that Jim Crow whites used against MLK.

How do you start a "race riot" all by yourself? Are black people just that stupid?

What exactly is Al Sharpton doing here? Is he bringing national attention to otherwise ignored events? No. Is he filling an unfilled role in organizing protests? No. The community is fully capable of action, why does a New York celebrity need to show up?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Did they really leave his body out in the open for hours? Because I've been an eye witness to a motorcycle crash causing death and they remove the body pretty drat quickly since all the officer needs is to photograph the body at several angles.

You're assuming they actually thought of a young black man as a human being. :smith:

Stultus Maximus posted:

What exactly is Al Sharpton doing here? Is he bringing national attention to otherwise ignored events? No. Is he filling an unfilled role in organizing protests? No. The community is fully capable of action, why does a New York celebrity need to show up?

Because he's a human being who has spent his life pursuing better racial justice and has the damned right to show up? The only reason Al Sharpton "just makes this worse" as I'm certain people will say is that white racist motherfuckers hate his guts for pointing out how goddamned privileged and racist they are.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's keeping the spotlight there. The media wants to just be done with this story.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
He represents a point of view within the Black American community that believes the judicial system unfairly targets them, and thus he points out particularly egregious examples of this to raise their national media exposure. Seems pretty basic/obvious.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Generally protest movements benefit from celebrities, "New York" or otherwise, showing up. Is there any particular reason this protest is different? :allears::allears::allears:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Agrajag posted:

I saw someone else describe it as a form of neo-lynching, leaving the body out for that long for no reason other than to remind the neighborhood they can't do poo poo. :iiam:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

greatn posted:

Yeah, all things considered I'm rather shocked they didn't empty a few magazines into the guy with a gun.

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Generally protest movements benefit from celebrities, "New York" or otherwise, showing up. Is there any particular reason this protest is different? :allears::allears::allears:

Who benefits when Al Sharpton shows up? The law enforcement agencies that he informed on the civil rights movement to for two decades? The Jews whom he exhorts his followers to murder? Al Sharpton's bank account?

Who has ever gotten justice from a police department because Al Sharpton was present, besides wealthy self-proclaimed reverend Al Sharpton, who somehow always comes out with a personal profit when he intervenes on behalf of poor black people?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

Please explain the benefits. This isn't Trayvon Martin where the murder got swept under the rug until people campaigned for national media attention. National media was paying attention, the riots got that. Protests and vigils were already being organized by strong, capable, local leaders. Strong communities can use their own voices and this is a strong community. We don't need a savior to fly in to show the locals how to protest and speak. Community issues are best voiced by members of the community, not by people who couldn't have located the community on a map one week ago.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's stupid, why is that any different from Mark Ruffalo going to Detroit? There's no point at which publicity is "enough." There's no reason for this to remain a local issue. And Ferguson leaders don't have enough experience in organizing a campaign with national attention. How could they?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Stultus Maximus posted:

Community issues are best voiced by members of the community, not by people who couldn't have located the community on a map one week ago.

Is there, in your opinion, any scenario where outsiders with experience of organising and responding to police brutality are justified in coming to the aid of a community which has been struck by an issue so tragic it comes to national attention?

I don't care and don't want to know whether you think Al Sharpton embodies those qualities.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SedanChair posted:

That's stupid, why is that any different from Mark Ruffalo going to Detroit? There's no point at which publicity is "enough." There's no reason for this to remain a local issue. And Ferguson leaders don't have enough experience in organizing a campaign with national attention. How could they?

Gee I don't know, how could the leaders of a majority black town surrounded by many other majority black towns including a large city which has had racial issues for many decades have any idea how to do community organizing and address racial issues? It's a mystery to me!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gee I don't know, how could the leaders of a majority black town surrounded by many other majority black towns including a large city which has had racial issues for many decades have any idea how to do community organizing and address racial issues? It's a mystery to me!

Well, the government of the town is overwhelmingly white, despite a majority of black citizenry. So local leaders have definitely not been effective in, say, getting a representative number of black people elected to office.

Can I ask you what harm you feel Al Sharpton is going to do?

\/\/\/\/\/

McAlister posted:

Hated black guy goes into situation where white supremacist assholes are shooting uppity black guys.

Politics aside that takes guts.

Sharpton got stabbed in the chest during the Bensonhurst protests for Yusuf K. Hawkin back in 1991.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 13, 2014

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Hated black guy goes into situation where white supremacist assholes are shooting uppity black guys.

Politics aside that takes guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I'm so confused by all the people arguing that a protest movement should only be centered around local leaders. The community and local leaders should be the primary voice and should definitely be at the forefront of the movement but to deny that outside protest leaders are unhelpful or unwanted de-legitimizes movements like Freedom Summer which were hugely successful and which had the backing of the community they came to. To say that national political figures should keep their hands off of a local protest movement ignores the agency of local leaders and activists who might actually want outside intervention and help from other activists.

• Locked thread