Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Lemur Crisis posted:

The talk in the video about this game being divisive and "people who like this game" makes it sound like there are more than three people in the world who dislike it, which is pretty weird.

Seriously, who has ever thought of the quality of Yoshi's Island as "controversial"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ometeotl posted:

Seriously, who has ever thought of the quality of Yoshi's Island as "controversial"?

You guys have to remember that K&K's parents hosed up and bought them Sega consoles when they were kids, so they don't always know a ton about all the marios.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Ometeotl posted:

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't like Yoshi's Island, and they mention Giant Bomb a lot so I think that's what they're thinking of. One person doesn't make a controversy though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The level of unfamiliarity with the controls of Yoshi's Island is kind of interesting to watch.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Didn't Yoshi's Island sell a lot less than previous Mario games did? I always figured it was unpopular because it was different.

I too was super jealous of SNES owners because this game looked so cool, by the time I got to play it I wasn't as interested in platformers so I kinda rushed through the main stages and left it at that. I've been looking forward to this part of the LP, are you guys going to get all the secret stages?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I've been looking forward to this part of the LP, are you guys going to get all the secret stages?

Considering they blazed through world one and totally donked it on some scores, I doubt it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Considering they blazed through world one and totally donked it on some scores, I doubt it.

If you want to see someone 100% it, this speedrun is pretty well-done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7Z2zdu9Zw

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

GimmickMan posted:

Didn't Yoshi's Island sell a lot less than previous Mario games did? I always figured it was unpopular because it was different.

I'd assume lower sales at least partly had to do with the fact that by the time Yoshi's Island came out the world had seen Mario 64 and started moving on from the SNES

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I had a Genesis growing up, so I've never played Yoshi's Island. I really need to get around to that.

Davinci posted:

I can't believe you guys just flat out ignored that sick-rear end title screen music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oehP8zIUjMM

Just listen to that, not liking that should be a criminal offense.

I had no idea the Yoshi island song in Paper Mario was a remix!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
That sure was a whole lot of hardcore glossing over prominent stuff just begging to be experimented with. When they ran right by that watermelon with their dinosaur that eats anything, it got clear that Kyle won't be buying what the game sells. They should just carry on to other games that they'll actually enjoy.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 14, 2014

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Personally I'm here to see them get annoyed by poo poo they don't like, so no way should they skip it

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Tunicate posted:

This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen :allears:

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Pretty well-done? This run is as artful as the game is, it's just fantastic. :allears:
I highly recommend watching this, even for just a couple levels. Unlike some TASes it's actually pretty easy to follow what's going on, too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
You guys are terrible at Mario games, how is that even possible. Is this what Sega did to a generation? Is this the product of X-Box gaming? That you can't smile like a goon when you see Yoshi and his pals running through a technicolor dreamscape?

This is because of New England. The lack of sunlight has frozen your souls into lifeless husks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is mario rpg going to be one episode or a mini series?

I'd love it if you played through the story for us. you could do commentary in post and cut/speed up the battles/getting lost

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Mario RPG is great just because of the ways they use to get Mario to express himself. I hope there's a full playthrough, it's not like it's a hard or dull game. It might just take some creative editing to get past repeated fights, or hell in a slower paced game where there ARE repeated fights, it might go well their podcast-y type commentary.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
The sparkly red egg had a Red Coin in it by the way, which is actually a very rarely-used and kind of stupid mechanic in this game they only ever use twice :v: also that mole tank powerup respawns. They always respawn, just in case you see that again in future before you start leaving too quickly and calling the game a bummer.

Fawf posted:

I'd assume lower sales at least partly had to do with the fact that by the time Yoshi's Island came out the world had seen Mario 64 and started moving on from the SNES
Pretty much, Yoshi's Island came out in like 1995 right on the tail-end of the SNES era, and just at the beginning of the N64 stepping into the main world of games. It's just more to do with the sense of timing which is a shame because Yoshi's Island is genuinely one of the loving best games I ever played and honestly, the more I think about it, the more I love this game as one of my top three Mario games.
Maybe top three in Nintendo overall, I'm not sure yet but definitely up there. It's got such a charm and colour to it, it's so beautiful in the way it handles backgrounds and foregrounds, the colouring scheme is just gorgeous, the bosses are fantastically fun for me, plus getting to do the game 100% is a massive loving challenge even by Mario standards, purely because the special stages (at least 2 of them) are just absolute fuckfests of hatred through physics on the SNES.

I can't wait to see more of this now. I would not call it controversial at all though, I think you're definitely wrong there Kyle, just because it didn't sell well is not always because the game itself is bad as has been stated above. I've never known anyone to genuinely hate this game.
Slowbeef I know tried to play this game and he wasn't into it, but he didn't HATE it rather. He does however hate Yoshi so that's purely subjective, cuz I dunno anyone who actually played this game and said "I really do not like this game". I mean personally so.

...also I love Keith's Yoshi voice, I find it hilarious.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 14, 2014

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I am really glad you're playing the SNES version and not the GBA version.

Steak Bentley
Jul 16, 2011

Alright, sonny. Consider yourself pinched.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is because of New England. The lack of sunlight has frozen your souls into lifeless husks.

Being from Massachusetts I can attest to the fact that everyone is scary zombies.

Also I'm pretty sure Yoshi's Island was legitimately meant to be set in the past when Mario was a baby and that it all made sense before they hosed THE TIME STREAM.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

FinalGamer posted:

also that mole tank powerup respawns. They always respawn, just in case you see that again in future before you start leaving too quickly and calling the game a bummer.
Transformations don't respawn if you got them from a ? cloud.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

MR. J posted:

Transformations don't respawn if you got them from a ? cloud.
OH, dammit you're right, unless you find your way back in again right? My mistake then.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Steak Bentley posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Yoshi's Island was legitimately meant to be set in the past when Mario was a baby and that it all made sense before they hosed THE TIME STREAM.

It's more like they're Mr. Saturns. The Yoshi he meets as an adult doesn't need to be any of the Yoshis he dealt with as a baby, they just all have the same name.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

FinalGamer posted:

OH, dammit you're right, unless you find your way back in again right? My mistake then.
Nope. The ? cloud that they come from is gone until you restart the level.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You guys, there's really no way that Keith and Kyle would do a full Mario RPG playthrough. That game is like 15 hours long, and they don't do post-commentary.

Maybe they'd do it as a patreon LP though, if enough people wanted it.

E: and not only that, with the amount of people that love the game so much (myself included) they would almost definitely hate it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
By that logic they would've hated everything bu--- oh god I just remembered they spent hours on Mario Teaches Typing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChairMaster posted:

Maybe they'd do it as a patreon LP though.

Ahahahaha, I forgot this was a thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phantasium posted:

It's more like they're Mr. Saturns. The Yoshi he meets as an adult doesn't need to be any of the Yoshis he dealt with as a baby, they just all have the same name.

Except Boshi.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Yeah I should know better, it is just that the sadist in me really wanted to see them doing the Poochy stage.

Also because I never got to see the later bonus stages myself. :v: The collectathon aspect of this game is evil. Maybe I should look them up in youtube.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ChairMaster posted:

You guys, there's really no way that Keith and Kyle would do a full Mario RPG playthrough. That game is like 15 hours long, and they don't do post-commentary.

Maybe they'd do it as a patreon LP though, if enough people wanted it.

E: and not only that, with the amount of people that love the game so much (myself included) they would almost definitely hate it.

The solution is to bring Jonbutton in. Kyle and Keith will record their voices to a soundboard, and he'll just talk about how cool RPGs are while occasionally pressing a button to get a canned reply from the cousins, and they can go off with their girlfriends and just drive, just drive into the sunset, Patreon dollars fluttering in the breeze behind them, laughing.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

How can you only get 56 points on level 1-1? :stonk:

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Like many, I was yelling at my screen at the tons of control things you didn't know about. Then you threw a slime at salvo and it hurt him. Your ignorance led to me learning something new about the game :psyduck:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If they play Paper Mario I might be obligated to draw fanart for it again.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
This is the couch pouch, i had totally forgotten i had the picture
https://twitter.com/somethingdumb/status/500078059907977217

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Thread delivers.

(Seriously, I really wanted that picture. :3: Thank you.)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What kind of savage takes corned beef hash with eggs over eggs benedict? I mean, CBH&E is loving wonderful, but it just doesn't compare with eggs benedict.

Somethingdumb posted:

This is adorable.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
Thats why you've got to have corned beef hash WITH eggs benedict. Hollandaise on CBH is amazing.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I actually kinda like the crazy overdone parallax in Sonic games (and genesis games in general). Maybe it's just nostalgia, it was neat looking in 1993.

Also english muffins blow.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Pneub posted:

I actually kinda like the crazy overdone parallax in Sonic games (and genesis games in general). Maybe it's just nostalgia, it was neat looking in 1993.

Also english muffins blow.

Put it on a biscuit then i dont care

PS english muffins are dope

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Somethingdumb posted:

Wanna pet that catte.

You guys ever been to Ugly Mug Diner? They have a few ways they serve eggs Benedict they call the Benedict Batch, the best of which was the one they serve over a big-rear end mushroom cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There are diners all over that will do a Benedict with hash instead of ham. Like probably the Miss Worcester Diner and that dining car downtown that's open 24 hours.

• Locked thread