Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I had to look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qR0aff0Kk

How did she not notice the trough full of gore?

The parody of this on Veep led to some of the more hilarious lines of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Wasn't Obama criticized for his pitching motion when he threw out the first pitch at a game soon after he got into office? Baseball's not a safe recreational choice either.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

StandardVC10 posted:

Wasn't Obama criticized for his pitching motion when he threw out the first pitch at a game soon after he got into office? Baseball's not a safe recreational choice either.

The answer to any question that begins with "Wasn't Obama criticized for..." is "yes."

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I had to look this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5qR0aff0Kk

How did she not notice the trough full of gore?

This so bizarre. :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

And his jeans.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The answer to any question that begins with "Wasn't Obama criticized for..." is "yes."

Exactly.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Dumbass Dowd posted:

So when I think of Williams, I think of Kelly. And when I think of Kelly, I think of Hillary, because Michael was the first American reporter to die in the Iraq invasion, and Hillary Clinton was one of the 29 Democratic senators who voted to authorize that baloney war.

Sounds like 60's Batman logic.

Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...
Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?
Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... Sea. C for Catwoman!
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...
Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!
Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!
Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...
Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...
Robin: Holy nightmare!

A rejected Macklemore beat and emphasis on BASKETBALL COURTS. What exactly are you trying to say, GOP?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Internet Webguy posted:

Sounds like 60's Batman logic.

Batman: Pretty *fishy* what happened to me on that ladder...
Commissioner Gordon: You mean where there's a fish there could be a Penguin?
Robin: But wait! It happened at sea... Sea. C for Catwoman!
Batman: Yet, an exploding shark *was* pulling my leg...
Commissioner Gordon: The Joker!
Chief O'Hara: All adds up to a sinister riddle... Riddle-R. Riddler!
Commissioner Gordon: A thought strikes me... So dreadful I scarcely dare give it utterance...
Batman: The four of them... Their forces combined...
Robin: Holy nightmare!

I jumped to the deduction scene in Black Dynamite, which is like that taken way further.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a strategy/planning session from Texas Right to Life that a liberal mole secretly recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFB1wRSeJLY

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

And his jeans.

They were pretty dorky jeans.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

BFINO!!

Its pretty open knowledge that Obama is a cubs fan, a huge and genuine bulls fan, and a reluctant bears fan. The Sox aren't owned by the Trib.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Look who's shown up to counter-protest in Clayton (about ten miles away from Ferguson).

Funny how no one's pointing rifles at them or launching tear gas into their faces.

Edit: Photo is old; my bad.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 13, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The RNC is mad. Mad 'bout the AP US History curriculum. They have passed the following resolution:

quote:

WHEREAS, Almost 500,000 U.S. students take the College Board’s Advanced Placement U. S. History (APUSH) course each year which has traditionally been designed to present a balanced view of American history and to prepare students for college level-history courses;

WHEREAS, the College Board (a private organization unaccountable to the public) has recently released a new Framework for the APUSH course that reflects a radically revisionist view of American history that emphasizes negative aspects of our nation’s history while omitting or minimizing positive aspects;

WHEREAS, the Framework includes little or no discussion of the Founding Fathers, the principles of the Declaration of Independence, the religious influences on our nation’s history, and many other critical topics that have always been part of the APUSH course;

WHEREAS, the Framework excludes discussion of the U. S. military (no battles, commanders, or heroes) and omits many other individuals, groups, and events that greatly shaped our nation’s history (for example, Albert Einstein, Jonas Salk, George Washington Carver, Rosa Parks, Dr. Martin Luther King, Tuskegee Airmen, the Holocaust);

WHEREAS, the Framework presents a biased and inaccurate view of many important events in American history, including the motivations and actions of 17th-19th-century settlers, American involvement in World War II, and the development of and victory in the Cold War; and WHEREAS, the Framework describes its detailed requirements as “required knowledge” for APUSH students, and the College Board admits that the APUSH examination will not test information outside this “required knowledge”;

WHEREAS, because the Framework differs radically from almost all state history standards, so that APUSH teachers will have to ignore their state standards to prepare students for the AP examination, the Framework will essentially usurp almost all state history standards for the best and brightest history students; and

WHEREAS, the College Board is not making its sample examination available for public review, thus maintaining secrecy about what U. S. students are actually being tested on; now, therefore be it

RESOLVED, That the Republican National Committee recommends that the College Board delay the implementation of the new APUSH Framework for at least a year, and that during that time a committee be convened to draft an APUSH Framework that is consistent both with the APUSH course’s traditional mission, with state history standards, and with the desires of U. S. parents and other citizens for their students to learn the true history of their country; and be it further

RESOLVED, That the Republican National Committee requests that state legislatures and the U. S. Congress investigate this matter; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Republican National Committee request that Congress withhold any federal funding to the College Board (a private non-governmental organization) until the APUSH course and examination have been rewritten in a transparent manner to accurately reflect U. S. history without a political bias and to respect the sovereignty of state standards, and until sample examinations are made available to educators, state and local officials, and the public, as has long been the established practice; and be it finally

RESOLVED, that upon the approval of this resolution the Republican National Committee shall promptly deliver a copy of this resolution to every Republican member of Congress, all Republican candidates for Congress, and to each Republican state and territorial party office.

And they're right! Here's the 2014-2015 APUSH Framework. Let's look at the section on the Civil Rights movement.

quote:

Following World War II, civil rights activists utilized a variety of strategies — legal challenges, direct action, and nonviolent protest tactics — to combat racial discrimination.

Teachers have flexibility to use examples such as the following:
* Fannie Lou Hamer, John Lewis, Thurgood Marshall

Hmm, I don't see Rosa Parks or MLK in that list, so obviously they will never be discussed in a unit on this topic, as they are not relevant.

I'm not going to bother quoting it, but there's a whole section on page 33 about the religious and ideological influences of the founders on the formation of republican government in the new nation that addresses the RNC's complaint about that time period.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Aerox posted:

Look who's shown up to counter-protest in Clayton (right next to Ferguson).

Funny how no one's pointing rifles at them or launching tear gas into their faces.

Clayton is not next to Ferguson at all.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Neo Duckberg posted:

Clayton is not next to Ferguson at all.

Oh, sorry. The map said they were ten miles away and in LA that's basically on top of each other.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Aerox posted:

Oh, sorry. The map said they were ten miles away and in LA that's basically on top of each other.

This isn't LA.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Ten miles away is right next to each other everywhere I've ever been.

That's walking distance if you're up for a minor hike.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yeah, what the hell? Ten miles is a quick drive to the grocery store because you ran out of milk.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don't think you understand how it works around here. Also that picture is probably fake anyways.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Is that area trapped in an anomalous space-warping bubble?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Magres posted:

Ten miles away is right next to each other everywhere I've ever been.

That's walking distance if you're up for a minor hike.

There's a half dozen towns in between them and an entire world of culture.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Neo Duckberg posted:

I don't think you understand how it works around here. Also that picture is probably fake anyways.

I've lived in small towns, small cities, fairly large metropolises, and in all of them ten miles is basically right next door.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

Yeah, what the hell? Ten miles is a quick drive to the grocery store because you ran out of milk.

peoplewhodontliveinactualcities.txt

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Stultus Maximus posted:

There's a half dozen towns in between them and an entire world of culture.

I'm not going to debate this any further cause it's dumb, but basically this.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is Clayton on the super-rich white side of the county while Ferguson is in the mostly black, blue-collar side or something?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Sorry for bringing it up; I was dumb anyway and the photo is old and I posted it without bothering to look it up first.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kalman posted:

peoplewhodontliveinactualcities.txt

Unless a city of two million mysteriously doesn't count, I've lived in cities. Ten miles is nothing.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 13, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Magres posted:

Unless a city of two million mysteriously doesn't count, I've lived in cities. Ten miles is nothing.

#Notallcities

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Is Clayton on the super-rich white side of the county while Ferguson is in the mostly black, blue-collar side or something?

Correct.

Median income Ferguson: $31,032
College Degree (%) 10.3
Median income Clayton: $62,252
College Degree (%) 70.3

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Yes,

Neo Duckberg posted:

Correct.

Median income Ferguson: $31,032
College Degree (%) 10.3
Median income Clayton: $62,252
College Degree (%) 70.3

Also from a cultural geography perspective if you make a straight line you go from Ferguson (2/3 black, blue collar) through places like Cool Valley (4/5 black, blue collar), Pagedale (9/10 black, poverty) and Wellston (9/10 black, dodge bullets). So you know, you're welcome to take that stroll or whatever.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Aerox posted:

Dude we don't even walk to the corner store in LA.

That scene in LA Story? It probably wasn't even staged.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

He's a White Sox fan so his opinions on baseball suck.

That's all for show, like the church he joined. He's really an A's fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQnBWRkFNc

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ann Coulter gets it

quote:

Ann Coulter stuck up for the Republican Party in roundabout way on Tuesday when she told Sean Hannity that voters need to support any "crap-rear end" GOPer over the Democrats.

“We can’t just abandon the field right now, you have to vote Republican even if it’s for a crap-rear end Republican," Coulter told Hannity during a spot on his radio show. "And I would name them but I’m not going to,” she added with a laugh.

Hannity, on the other hand, was happy to name some names and began with House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), declaring "he’s a horrible speaker.”

The two descended into a squabble over how far to take criticism of Boehner and the GOP more broadly, until Coulter got the last word.

"He's bad on amnesty but look, who cares — there are a lot of bad Republicans, there are no good Democrats," she insisted. "The country is in the balance. You have to vote Republican right now.”

Yet progressives don't.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Evil Sagan posted:

You haven't been to St. Louis. Please, at least take the consideration to read about how and why there is no grid system in the city. It is thoroughly engineered to segregate white and black neighborhoods. Its divided by ethnicity, race, and class. When the cops say 'Go Home,' what they mean is 'Know Your Place.'

And no, its not possible to walk to Clayton from Ferguson through a safe path and in a reasonable time frame. I've tried. My old hobby when I lived in StL was to go walking around to view the architecture and understand the real situation of life in the city. After all, if you live in a city, its your responsibility to know the conditions your neighbors live under if you don't want riots.

E1:

Magres posted:

I've lived in small towns, small cities, fairly large metropolises, and in all of them ten miles is basically right next door.

Perhaps, you haven't lived in an area that was actively wanting to restrict your movement and willing to enforce that desire through institutional policy. Poor, black walking south of Delmar? WashU police gonna give you a talking for an hour. And then a half mile away, the next patrol will do the same, possibly with the decency to offer you a ride home.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 14, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

I'm not going to bother quoting it, but there's a whole section on page 33 about the religious and ideological influences of the founders on the formation of republican government in the new nation that addresses the RNC's complaint about that time period.

Yes, but does that section clearly state that America was founded as a Christian nation and that the founders claimed that freedom of religion did not mean freedom from religion? I think not!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

You haven't been to St. Louis. Please, at least take the consideration to read about how and why there is no grid system in the city.

Maybe St. Louis should try a massive, modernist, urban housing project? :shrug:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

So ship all the white people out on FEMA trains in accordance with Agenda 21?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Much cheaper to have the feds pay you highway funds instead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Wasn't there a mostly black government-run housing project in the 1940s that eventually got demolished in St. Louis?

• Locked thread