Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/hockey-under-pressure-over-petrol-excise/5669570

Joe Hockey doesn't really seem to be cut out for this whole Government thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
(Phone-posting) Can someone post the Courier-Mail thing about Hockey?

Also ICAC today has been glorious.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 14, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

(Phone-posting) Can someone post the Courier-Mail front page?

Also ICAC today has been glorious.

Scylo posted:

I wonder why nobody buys newspapers anymore

What's happening at ICAC?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

webmeister posted:

What's happening at ICAC?

I realised too late the Courier-Mail thing about Hockey might not have been on the front page.

ICAC has had some hilariously incompetent lying, amongst other things. McClymont's twitter feed is great.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Newcastle Lord Mayor just admitted to bribing another state MP.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

I fully support this suing of Mike Carlton. Why should the Racial Discrimination Act be used to silence only conservatives? Let the Left now realise the law menaces even their own and must be scrapped as a crime against free speech:

THE controversial 18C provisions of the Racial Discrimination Act will be used in a complaint against The Sydney Morning Herald over its anti-­Semitic cartoon and the accompanying article by former columnist, Mike Carlton.

A Sydney engineer, Wayne Karlen, 60, has lodged a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission ­arguing the publication of the cartoon and column caused offence to Australian Jews.

Mr Karlen also referenced the subsequent abuse of readers by Carlton, stating in the complaint that The Sydney Morning Herald has committed an unlawful act within the meaning of the Racial Discrimination Act

Mr Karlen, who is not Jewish, said he decided to lodge the complaint on Tuesday after the ABCs Media Watch defended the cartoon and Carlton the night before

In addition to Mr Karlen, The Australian understands at least one member of the Jewish community has also lodged a complaint with the commission under section 18C, although Jewish ­organisations have stated they will not be taking similar action in light of the Heralds apology.

Those Jewish organisations are two-faced. They know that using these laws against Carlton will discredit them. And so they do not use these wicked laws to defend their community, yet say nothing when those laws are used to muzzle their allies.

:qq:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Actually I think the problem with Labor is that too many of their leaders try to be Paul Keating but the poo poo Keating got away with just doesn't fly anymore in a biased, sensitive media landscape.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2724463/nside-privileged-life-Joe-Hockey-doesnt-think-poor-people-drive-cars.html

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but above, the Daily Mail tears into Joe Hockey's property portfolio and patronage of two separate North Shore golf clubs. Good for a laugh.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Murodese posted:

You're like 4/4 for dumb posts now. Would you agree that a depiction of Aboriginals as apemen in a cartoon wouldn't offend you, and why are you so racist?

(you can be offended by something that's not targetting you)

There is a pretty massive difference between hey that is offensive and hey I am offended and as such am going to launch a court case based on section 18C.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Like honestly, have you got any kind of reason to believe that the courts would buy into the racial vilification act as being some kind of obscenity/public decency law rather than being there to be used by people who have actually been racially vilified, such as for example, a person who was actually Jewish?

Because if not then you're basically just really loving dumb.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Anidav posted:

Actually I think the problem with Labor is that too many of their leaders try to be Paul Keating but the poo poo Keating got away with just doesn't fly anymore in a biased, sensitive media landscape.

Also, remember that Keating was never opposition leader. And while Leo McLeay wasn't anywhere near as bad as Bronwyn Bishop is now, he certainly let Keating get away with a fair bit - as opposed to the totally hostile atmosphere Shorten (or indeed any non-Lib) faces in the current House.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Anidav posted:

Yeah, that's also fair. He taunted Downer, in particular, pretty mercilessly in ways that I doubt he'd be able to get away with today.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-14/hockey-under-pressure-over-petrol-excise/5669570

Joe Hockey doesn't really seem to be cut out for this whole Government thing.

Ahahaha even Bernardi is telling Hockey to stop being such a fuckhead.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Gough Suppressant posted:

There is a pretty massive difference between hey that is offensive and hey I am offended and as such am going to launch a court case based on section 18C.

the difference is that he's an avid commenter on andrew bolt's blog and is unaware of the existence of hypocrisy

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Murodese posted:

the difference is that he's an avid commenter on andrew bolt's blog and is unaware of the existence of hypocrisy

Regardless of your slapfight with muyb, it'd be a pretty steep change if a judge allows 18c to be pursued by somebody who isn't directly vilified by the laws.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Ahahaha even Bernardi is telling Hockey to stop being such a fuckhead.

The SMH article on the same subject quotes the Senator for Xstrata saying much the same thing

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Les Affaires posted:

Regardless of your slapfight with muyb, it'd be a pretty steep change if a judge allows 18c to be pursued by somebody who isn't directly vilified by the laws.

That's not a slapfight, we limit our slapfights to IRC

Pred1ct
Feb 20, 2004
Burninating

So the guy suing under 18C is not Jewish and previously said that people that don't support 18C should invoke it as a protest.

Yeah he's not going to have any standing whatsoever.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Murodese are you saying that you would see it as your duty to bring legal action under 18C against a cartoon depicting aboriginal people with ape-like features? Your burden even?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Pred1ct posted:

So the guy suing under 18C is not Jewish and previously said that people that don't support 18C should invoke it as a protest.

Yeah he's not going to have any standing whatsoever.

Yeah, pretty clear abuse of process.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

As mentioned by Greg Jericho - might want to also look at 18D.

quote:

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18D

Exemptions
Section 18C does not render unlawful anything said or done reasonably and in good faith:

(a) in the performance, exhibition or distribution of an artistic work; or

(b) in the course of any statement, publication, discussion or debate made or held for any genuine academic, artistic or scientific purpose or any other genuine purpose in the public interest; or

(c) in making or publishing:

(i) a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest; or

(ii) a fair comment on any event or matter of public interest if the comment is an expression of a genuine belief held by the person making the comment.

Bolt wasn't in good faith, Carlton will be able to argue it easily.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah, both the 18D provision and the fact that it was brought as a spurious case will get it thrown out AND only serve to frustrate those that oppose 18C even moreso.

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

And the fact that Fairfax has already apologized - quite unreservedly - at least for the cartoon. Given that successful 18C cases tend to end in apologies.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

This should be interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7Wa56vsq0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That's the Courier Mail thing I wanted.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I love that global cooling article. I actually love it to bits, it's just the most amazing piece of one eyed scaremongering and bias ever.

I especially love how "renewables" are a drain on the economy rather than an investment in you know "renewable" energy rather than poo poo that once we've dug it all up we're out of. Renewables secure our energy future you insincere poo poo.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Dubs posted:

It will have to be soon, after they cut the train there will be no vacant lots.

The CBD is about to boom into the worlds busiest shopping district.

Are there any other Newcastle posters/lurkers around here?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

hawaiian_robot posted:

Are there any other Newcastle posters/lurkers around here?

I grew up there, moved to Sydney in 2000. Most of my family and lots of (old) school friends are there though.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Yeah there's a couple of us.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

quote:

"I don't think [the Treasurer has] ever lived in a rural, regional, or remote area where he may have been a school leaver, a job seeker, unemployed, low to mid-income where there's no public transport," he said.

"We can't all hop on cows and ride into town I don't think."

Senator Muir, a former timber worker and father of five, says he knows first hand about the impact of petrol costs on the household budget.

"There's been plenty of times when I've had to think twice about not only filling the car up but whether I really should be making a certain drive or not," he said.

"You sometimes have to make a bit of a sacrifice. There might be a friend you want to see who is unwell or something, but you've got to weigh it up - I need to do the shopping on this certain day, should I or shouldn't I? So yeah, I've certainly been there, I've lived that."

But Mr Hockey says he does not care about personal criticism that he is out of touch with the Australian community, declaring he is just presenting facts about poor people's use of cars.

In the budget he announced an end to the 13-year freeze on the indexation of the fuel excise, saying over four years it would raise more than $2 billion, which would be spent on roads.

This morning he stood by his comments.

"The Australian Bureau of Statistics data states that the highest 20 per cent of household incomes pay three times more in fuel taxes than the lowest 20 per cent of household incomes," he told ABC NewsRadio from Perth.

"The Australian Bureau of Statistics data is not something that I've concocted, it is the reality. These are dealing with the facts."

The irony that Hockey is trying to quote facts and getting hated on is just unbelievably amazing.

e; also, they're really pushing the "overall tax burden $" hard over the more appropriate "tax burden as a percentage of income"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Murodese posted:

e; also, they're really pushing the "overall tax burden $" hard over the more appropriate "tax burden as a percentage of income"

Which makes little sense as the only reasonable interpretation of what a 'burden' is in these circumstances is the proportional influence it has on one's overall income. How much one pays as an absolute amount is meaningless unless it's put in the context of their overall earnings. Does he really think that paying (say) $10,000 out of a $50,000 income exacts the same burden on the individual as the same amount on someone with an income of $500,000?

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 14, 2014

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's the Courier Mail thing I wanted.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Also, if it wasn't clear the Nats have sold right the gently caress out already (it was), this is the point.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Scylo posted:

I wonder why nobody buys newspapers anymore

Bahahahahaha. I laughed at this for literally five minutes straight. Thank you so much.

Now if you'll excuse me since I am on welfare I have a school of orphaned puppies to blow up with my jihad vest.

mrdull
Aug 9, 2014

Sisgmund posted:

And the fact that Fairfax has already apologized - quite unreservedly - at least for the cartoon. Given that successful 18C cases tend to end in apologies.

no kidding. I've been flicking through that useful interactive history of 18c thing and it seems like an apology can really influence a court's willingness to dismiss a claim.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Rush Limbaugh says Robin Williams died of a "leftist" world view of "pessimism and darkness."

--

If anyone would like to give "mentoring" and giving patronage" to me to the tune of $10k or more, please message me in PMs.

Kate McClymont ‏@Kate_McClymont

The $10k was not an illegal donation. Grugeon prefers to say it was "mentoring"& "giving patronage" 2 a young man likely 2become an MP #icac

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Hockey uses the 09-10 ABS expenditure survey for his numbers, it's interesting to look at the more recent 2012 energy consumption survey.

(09-10 ABS expenditure survey, 6530.0, round to whole numbers)
('12 ABS energy consumption survey, 4670.0)

Hockey - "the higher the household income the more fuel taxes are paid by the household"

Also interesting to look at those relying on electricity + bottle gas for dwelling energy - the weekly petrol expenditure is over $40 in the bottom quintile. It's a stretch, but not completely unreasonable, to think that this represent more remote and rural areas.

For dwelling energy expenditure of 'Electricity, LPG/ bottled gas and other sources of household energy' the bottom quintile's vehicle fuel expenditure is $63 per week. That's more than the average top quintile's vehicle fuel expenditure ($60/wk) (across all dwelling energy sources).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Clay Davis Jeff McCloy, Lord Mayor of Newcastle, put out this statement.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

So he looked at the life story of "Mother Teresa" and it inspired him to hand out gift bags of money to people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

xutech posted:

So he looked at the life story of "Mother Teresa" and it inspired him to hand out gift bags of money to people?

"[s posted:

Clay Davis[/s] Jeff McCloy"]"The guy from Swansea came to see me, Garry - he rang me - it was (on a) a Saturday, he came round to my home, whatever was in my wallet, 1500 bucks, raffle tickets or something. I gave him a few bob.
:allears:

• Locked thread