Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Maybe he was running the whole scam on a ramdisk in case anybody caught wind of his dastardly plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I wait what?

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

I think I now absolutely must find a way to include the message [DEBUG] your pants are on fire in application debugging code somewhere...

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Constant HAMPRINCE. :allears:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I'm partial to "someone has stolen your trees" myself.

Also, bonus points if "you are gay" is actually communicating some relevant bit of information.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This is what forum cancer looks like.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I see nothing horrific about this

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

QuarkJets posted:

I see nothing horrific about this

It's PHP?

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Dessert Rose posted:

Also, bonus points if "you are gay" is actually communicating some relevant bit of information.

It's relevant because it's the only timestamp in those logs :v: 90% sure on this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skuto posted:

It's PHP?

poo poo I missed that line

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Exactly how a PHP coder's mind looks on the inside.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My first constant name of choice is now HAMPRINCE.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

ATM Machine posted:

It's relevant because it's the only timestamp in those logs :v: 90% sure on this

It isn't. There's another timestamp at the top of the image, half cut off. It looks like it's just coming round for another cycle of warnings and errors, which is plenty horrific.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Didn't realize this was SA until I saw Lowtax's tweet. God Radium was a twat.

VVV Radium used to be the developer for the forums. He was really bad at his job, and years after his firing Lowtax is still finding new horrors he left behind. He tweeted the trees error in the past couple days, which is how I realized that screenshot is from the awful servers. Can't get to twitter right now for... reasons, nor put my hands on details of the Radium saga. Hopefully someone else can elaborate because it sure was a train wreck.
Edit 2: phone posting, best posting

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 14, 2014

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Care to elaborate? This seems delicious.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Then they pretended to get rid of him and told us the new coder was a girl, working as "SA Support Bot". Then "she" started to post really terrible, misogynistic views in the Feminism thread, just like radium used to post.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
radium was a great source for TFC maps back in the day.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Sagacity posted:

Care to elaborate? This seems delicious.

He's in the SAclopedia.

Interestingly, his entry mentions he added the ability to quote multiple posts without refreshing, which isn't something I knew you could do.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.

nexus6 posted:

his entry mentions he added the ability to quote multiple posts without refreshing, which isn't something I knew you could do.

Jethro posted:

radium was a great source for TFC maps back in the day.

Cool! Sounds like a swell guy.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

nexus6 posted:

He's in the SAclopedia.

Interestingly, his entry mentions he added the ability to quote multiple posts without refreshing, which isn't something I knew you could do.

He didn't do that, his replacement did.

I seem to recall he had a tendency to claim all feature requests, no matter how minor, would be in the next version of the forums, some massive project he was working on in secret which had a codename I don't recall. It turned out to be vaporware in the end. As soon as the new guy got brought in new features actually started showing up, multiple quoting being one of them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Since we are on the topic, what happened to Chooch?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Driven mad by the work of his predecessor and is rumored to be lost in the Canadian Rockies.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HardDisk posted:

Since we are on the topic, what happened to Chooch?

He got offered a job that paid a fair bit better than here. This was a few months ago and afaik the forums don't have a full-time coder at the moment.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

Driven mad by the work of his predecessor and is rumored to be lost in the Canadian Rockies.

Maybe we could say it was radiation poisoning? :suicide:

Hammerite posted:

He got offered a job that paid a fair bit better than here. This was a few months ago and afaik the forums don't have a full-time coder at the moment.

That's fair enough. Though I guess this is the new guy: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657588

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

I seem to recall he had a tendency to claim all feature requests, no matter how minor, would be in the next version of the forums, some massive project he was working on in secret which had a codename I don't recall. It turned out to be vaporware in the end. As soon as the new guy got brought in new features actually started showing up, multiple quoting being one of them.

Titan.

It used to be that you couldn't click the top of a quoted post to go to the original. There was (is?) a browser extension that added a lot of useful functionality to the forums, most or all of which have been added officially, and one of those features was it would change the quote= stuff to have an explicit link back to the quoted post, anyway they had to change it because of dire threats from radium that it was breaking 'something' and caused terrible things in the internals.

Also threads couldn't be over 25 pages.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

ATM Machine posted:

No, I meant, like. I knew someone who put a "Kano Transformations: 5" at the bottom of every page on the site; it was representing the state of eight different bits of information (so it could be 0-255)

Similarly, I wonder if "you are gay" is communicating some information about the state of the system, like maybe sometimes it won't show up, or it will be slightly different.

Also, as stupid as most of these error messages are, at least you can easily search the code base for them. It drives me insane when the same log message can come from ten different places in the code.

Edit: that's assuming that he didn't use "someone has stolen your trees" in ten different places.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Would it be legally permissible to sell the forums software or does the derivation-from-vbulletin license prohibit that?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Would it be legally permissible to sell the forums software or does the derivation-from-vbulletin license prohibit that?

Jelsoft threatened legal action when they removed the copyright at the bottom so somehow I don't think they'd be okay with that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
That said, I'm not sure Jelsoft even exists anymore.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Also consumer protection laws.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dessert Rose posted:

No, I meant, like. I knew someone who put a "Kano Transformations: 5" at the bottom of every page on the site; it was representing the state of eight different bits of information (so it could be 0-255)

Similarly, I wonder if "you are gay" is communicating some information about the state of the system, like maybe sometimes it won't show up, or it will be slightly different.

Also, as stupid as most of these error messages are, at least you can easily search the code base for them. It drives me insane when the same log message can come from ten different places in the code.

Edit: that's assuming that he didn't use "someone has stolen your trees" in ten different places.

My guess is that he did it as a sanity check since php doesn't exactly have a debugger; changes don't appear to be working, so add or change a random log message and verify that it appears. That said, not taking it out is pretty dumb, as is the apparent lack of real debugging info.

The "and you are gay" line is sort of zen for some reason though. The time may change, but take solace in the fact that you shall always be gay.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Not everyone may agree that this is a horror, but I was reading Guido van Rossum's email regarding standardized type checking annotations for Python and this section stood out to me:

Guido posted:

The curious thing here is that while standardizing a syntax for type
annotations, we technically still won't be adopting standard rules for type
checking. This is intentional. First of all, fully specifying all the type
checking rules would make for a really long and boring PEP (a much better
specification would probably be the mypy source code
). Second, I think it's
fine if the type checking algorithm evolves over time, or if variations
emerge. The worst that can happen is that you consider your code correct
but mypy disagrees; your code will still run.

(Emphasis mine.)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I remember at one point hearing that Titan was going to be built on the Catalyst framework, a Perl MVC web framework that I'd best describe as "Rails for people who have some Stockholm Syndrome-esque attachment to Perl." It is a horror unto itself, just check out the docs for the standard simple CRUD example.

Suspicious Dish posted:

That said, I'm not sure Jelsoft even exists anymore.

They're now owned by Internet Brands, who basically acquires high-pageview forums for particular interest groups (auto enthusiasts, flyertalk, etc) and runs them. Collectively those boards are probably VBulletin's biggest installations (Flyertalk definitely ranks higher than the SA forums on Alexa, for example).

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

fritz posted:

Also threads couldn't be over 25 pages.

Wasn't that because some guy had ignored most of the users,and every page view was very inefficiently checking that?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

Wasn't that because some guy had ignored most of the users,and every page view was very inefficiently checking that?

I want to say the ignoring guy was causing a different problem, but maybe.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

ohgodwhat posted:

Who was the guy who managed to pick a name that crashed the server every time he tried to PM a mod asking for a name change?

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

I remember at one point hearing that Titan was going to be built on the Catalyst framework, a Perl MVC web framework that I'd best describe as "Rails for people who have some Stockholm Syndrome-esque attachment to Perl." It is a horror unto itself, just check out the docs for the standard simple CRUD example.

Other than it installing half of CPAN, I don't mind Catalyst. What do you find so horrific about it?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

code:
function check_callback() {

$area = locate_area($_POST['post_code']);
    if (is_numeric($area))
    {
        $oldregs = get_post_meta($area, "meta_box_locations", true);
        $newregs = $oldregs + 1;
        update_post_meta($area, "meta_box_locations", $newregs);
        echo 'success';
    }

die(); // this is required to return a proper result
}
:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

eithedog posted:

code:
function check_callback() {

$area = locate_area($_POST['post_code']);
    if (is_numeric($area))
    {
        $oldregs = get_post_meta($area, "meta_box_locations", true);
        $newregs = $oldregs + 1;
        update_post_meta($area, "meta_box_locations", $newregs);
        echo 'success';
    }

die(); // this is required to return a proper result