Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the guy walking his dog who got attacked is tragic. I didn't mean to lay blame on him or anything. hosed up situation.

This whole thing is terrifying. This is historic. I hope and pray that in the end we move forward as a society, not go backwards. Yes its naive and I am not very politically aware or knowledgeable, but gently caress despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Headlines everywhere apparently because that's all this thread will talk about now: Some Random-rear end Guy Got Punched the gently caress Out?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

This is great over-time for them, and the county loving hates it and is probably why they're making boneheaded moves to wrap this up.

They could have wrapped it up days ago by arresting the officer that did it while they investigated charges. Would have still been some unrest, but it likely wouldn't have gone this bad. Instead they've circled the wagons.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

My Imaginary GF posted:

A friend texted me a photo of a white, mid-20s kid handing out 'Revolutionary Marxist Party USA' lit. I asked him several times, directly, if it was him. I did not see any answer other than avoidance, therefore I presumed he was the one handing out the lit.

Its a good thing I'm a conservative Democrat and not a leftist, otherwise I'd continue bickering over speaking for a community rather than listening to the community and trusting that they deserve to have their own voices heard.

You literally just declared what this whole event was about, authoritatively, in this thread not a few posts ago. You aren't listening to anyone but yourself. Leftists have been beating the drum on problems related both directly and tangentially to this blow up for loving decades. You don't get to define who and what and when people should take up causes or their level of involvement.

In other words, shut up you goon.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Partly this, yeah. The county hates it because its bad press. They don't want to put their house in order. Hell, they only retreated tonight after Nixon barked in. Certainly some backroom dealing going on right now.
The county hates it because those cops are probably making like $40 an hour right now. And if they're anything like anywhere else every desk-riding fatass and management goober who still fits in his vest is on the street, a half mile back, asleep in a city car, making hella OT.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 14, 2014

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Don't worry guys, buzzfeed has it covered

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Cesar Cedeno posted:

let's be honest here, some of the people going out into this mess don't have good intentions (beyond the cops har har).

I really doubt they thought some guy (who lives there) walking his loving dog was an undercover cop.

They were teenagers! I get your skepticism, but I don't think it's a stretch to think that some kids on a dark night in the middle of police containment might have gotten a bit confused. They were wrestled off by adults, too. If it was racism or xenophobia or something, it's not characteristic of all the protesters at least.

I agree that it probably sends a bad message to media, though.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Nonsense posted:

Headlines everywhere apparently because that's all this thread will talk about now: Some Random-rear end Guy Got Punched the gently caress Out?

Then when he got hit he keep post of the forums like the dumbest gently caress alive instead of leaving first.

Berk Berkly posted:

You literally just declared what this whole event was about, authoritatively, in this thread not a few posts ago. You aren't listening to anyone but yourself. Leftists have been beating the drum on problems related both directly and tangentially to this blow up for loving decades. You don't get to define who and what and when people should take up causes or their level of involvement.

In other words, shut up you goon.

White anarchists got caught starting fires the other day and got chased away by the community,they also could've been cops. The point is not to excuse the violence but explain why a person might see someone and think they're a cop.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 602 days!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The county hates it because those cops are probably making like $40 an hour right now.

a cop shoots an unarmed black kid, and all his buddies make a killing to literally play army and start a one-sided riot.

They probably love this poo poo, why not. Making tons of money for a power-trip vacation where they can do pretty much anything and get away with it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Omi-Polari posted:

My feeling about this is that it's a violent situation, you know? Doesn't excuse it. Sounds like the Black Panther guys were trying their best to police the protesters, too. But at the end of the day you're walking into a war zone. It just is what it is.

Uh huh. The Black Panthers are awesome, and they did a great job of corralling everyone, but I have no illusions about what I was walking into, which was a loving riot. Some random kid got a sucker punch in on me. I've had worse. I am not going to bang the racism drum and whine about black hoodlums beating people up. Just so we are clear.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cesar Cedeno posted:

They need the press to speak for them, everyone does. And if you make it about race exclusively, then that's what the press focuses on, and if you make it about race and have black guys beating up random white dudes, the press is going to cover that aspect of it.

You need the broader support of the people to enact change.
As a white dude, it wouldn't matter if they were totally peaceable or not at this point. Hand-wringing about image certainly isn't going to shift fox news, cnn, or pretty much any other outlet old white people watch. If it was peaceable, no-one would know about it.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The county hates it because those cops are probably making like $40 an hour right now. And if they're anything like anywhere else every desk-riding fatass and management goober who still fits in his vest is on the street, a half mile back, asleep in a city car, making hella OT.

Do they have to pay for munitions, too? I'd assume so, but I'm not entirely sure how the agreements work since I can't imagine a lot of counties would be able to afford LRADs on MRAPs all by themselves.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cesar Cedeno posted:

They probably love this poo poo, why not. Making tons of money for a power-trip vacation where they can do pretty much anything and get away with it.
It's probably a tossup. Anyone with debts or alimony is probably happy as a clam, but washing CS out of your clothes loving sucks and nobody likes standing around in the sun with armor on.

Grondoth posted:

Do they have to pay for munitions, too?
Yeah somebody is going to have to fork over for all the gas grenades, but it'll be a pittance compared to the HR costs.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grognan posted:

As a white dude, it wouldn't matter if they were totally peaceable or not at this point. Hand-wringing about image certainly isn't going to shift fox news, cnn, or pretty much any other outlet old white people watch. If it was peaceable, no-one would know about it.

There would have been instead massive internet praise for the ability of the police to stand up to such vile criticism from an ungrateful, 'troubled' community.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Why haven't any of the witnesses described the cop who did the shooting?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine
I am outraged about this incident. As Radley Balko explained in "Rise of the Warrior Cop" and authors like John Whitehead and commentators like Will Grigg have covered, we have an epidemic of police misconduct and a rise in the use of SWAT team raids. Furthermore we have seen a systematic militarization of our police forces. I don't think it is an exaggeration to state that we live in an emerging police state. Well off white people and privileged groups might find that statement hyperbolic, but poor blacks have long viewed the police not as the protectors of their rights, but rather as their oppressors and their enemies. It must be a horrific feeling to fear for your life, to know that any day a cop could end your life without you having done a thing wrong.

On the libertarian thread, I was making the case that we should embrace anarchism and remove the State monopoly on justice and police protection. This is just another example of why. Police forces have literally been terrorizing some communities in this Country for years and the people to whom to police are supposed to be accountable have no recourse.

Now, what if each community were able to collectively hire a private protection company to keep them safe and secure their property? If incidents like this one started to happen, then the community could immediately fire that defense agency and hire a more competent agency to serve the community. Furthermore, since a private defense agency would have no special privileges over any other citizen, if an agent of a private defense agency murdered someone, they would be held accountable just as any private citizen would. The government protects their own. A corrupt cop is very likely to be treated more favorably by a judge than a private criminal.

Poor African Americans know about police abuse and the rest of the United States are starting to get a wake up call. The police our our enemy. Fire the State monopolized police and replace them with privately competing security agencies who, as entrepreneurs looking to please their customers, have to actually meet the needs and interests of the community they serve.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Jeez, look at the latest photo on the reddit feed: http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Blue Star posted:

Yeah, the guy walking his dog who got attacked is tragic. I didn't mean to lay blame on him or anything. hosed up situation.

This whole thing is terrifying. This is historic. I hope and pray that in the end we move forward as a society, not go backwards. Yes its naive and I am not very politically aware or knowledgeable, but gently caress despair.

Seriously? It's not historic. How many under 20s do you think could tell you something about the Rodney King riots? This is more of the same and will happen every 10 years on the clock and be quickly forgotten.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Can we start calling this a police riot? Because that's what it is.

Pretty much all injuries and property damage over the past two nights have been caused by the police, not the protesters. They've been deliberately instigating and sustaining conflict with their ridiculously heavy-handed presence, and have been caught on tape verbally egging on the crowd hoping for a fight. Whether they get the fight they're looking for or not, every night this week has ended with tear gas and rubber bullets in civilians' backyards anyway. And tonight they're detaining journalists and arresting city aldermen.

Its crazy how far things have gone in this country with militarizing police that instead of the guys out holding riot shields and sticks, its a line of pretend soldiers holding rifles. poo poo, if it wasn't for the english on the sign and the grass, I'd have thought that is from Iraq a few years ago.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

jrodefeld posted:

I am outraged about this incident. As Radley Balko explained in "Rise of the Warrior Cop" and authors like John Whitehead and commentators like Will Grigg have covered, we have an epidemic of police misconduct and a rise in the use of SWAT team raids. Furthermore we have seen a systematic militarization of our police forces. I don't think it is an exaggeration to state that we live in an emerging police state. Well off white people and privileged groups might find that statement hyperbolic, but poor blacks have long viewed the police not as the protectors of their rights, but rather as their oppressors and their enemies. It must be a horrific feeling to fear for your life, to know that any day a cop could end your life without you having done a thing wrong.

On the libertarian thread, I was making the case that we should embrace anarchism and remove the State monopoly on justice and police protection. This is just another example of why. Police forces have literally been terrorizing some communities in this Country for years and the people to whom to police are supposed to be accountable have no recourse.

Now, what if each community were able to collectively hire a private protection company to keep them safe and secure their property? If incidents like this one started to happen, then the community could immediately fire that defense agency and hire a more competent agency to serve the community. Furthermore, since a private defense agency would have no special privileges over any other citizen, if an agent of a private defense agency murdered someone, they would be held accountable just as any private citizen would. The government protects their own. A corrupt cop is very likely to be treated more favorably by a judge than a private criminal.

Poor African Americans know about police abuse and the rest of the United States are starting to get a wake up call. The police our our enemy. Fire the State monopolized police and replace them with privately competing security agencies who, as entrepreneurs looking to please their customers, have to actually meet the needs and interests of the community they serve.

:holymoley:

XyloJW edit: I'm getting this in here because I have a feeling I'll need to:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

jrodefeld posted:

I agree.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I was about to say 'please source your quote' but then I saw the username

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Thinking that privatizing government services will be a panacea is pretty dumb when the abuses carried out by law enforcement agencies often happens at the whim of decision-makers, privatizing everything just gets us the same brutality at possibly a higher cost.

The main problem here is that white people dislike black people and have been dehumanizing them for a long time, not sure how turning the Ferguson County PD over to a private entity is going to change anything.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

gonna tell the protesters to embrace anarchy and abolish the police state, brb

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

No one is saying it's OK that anyone was assaulted. What we are saying is that black men are being killed at an alarming rate. People are scared. People are furious. We are worried about our brothers, fathers, sons and nephews. Tempers are flaring. It's easy to understand why people would lash out violently.

Comedy option: whatever excuse the cops use when they illegally assault someone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rollofthedice posted:

gonna tell the protesters to embrace anarchy and abolish the police state, brb

Have you told them about Ron Paul?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

1st AD posted:

Thinking that privatizing government services will be a panacea is pretty dumb when the abuses carried out by law enforcement agencies often happens at the whim of decision-makers, privatizing everything just gets us the same brutality at possibly a higher cost.

But look at the bright side, it's never happened that corporations have used their money to make the powers that be allow them to keep doing things against the common good.

Never ever.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

1st AD posted:

The main problem here is that white people dislike black people and have been dehumanizing them for a long time, not sure how turning the Ferguson County PD over to a private entity is going to change anything.

Counterpoint: the private security force might look something like this instead though

edit: picture is of one of Rajneesh's commune police

bedpan fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 14, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Koalas March posted:

No one is saying it's OK that anyone was assaulted. What we are saying is that black men are being killed at an alarming rate. People are scared. People are furious. We are worried about our brothers, fathers, sons and nephews. Tempers are flaring. It's easy to understand why people would lash out violently.

Comedy option: whatever excuse the cops use when they illegally assault someone.

Witnesses say he clearly had a gun strapped to his dog

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hearing through the grapevine that Kander is loving pissed about the French affair.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Animal-Mother posted:

Why haven't any of the witnesses described the cop who did the shooting?

49 out of 53 cops in the town are white. I'm willing to bet they all have military-style haircuts if press conferences I've seen are any indication. "A nearly bald white guy in a cop car" isn't the best description ever and nobody is gonna get close enough to the cop to get a more detailed look at his badge after he just shot an unarmed kid to death.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Have you told them about Ron Paul?

I did, but some blood punched me in the face. I was just about to give him my Bitcoin address!

Note: another interview by MSNBC of that night-vision guy. Or somebody, I dunno

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

1st AD posted:

But think of all the unions we could bust up.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CitizenKain posted:

Its crazy how far things have gone in this country with militarizing police that instead of the guys out holding riot shields and sticks, its a line of pretend soldiers holding rifles. poo poo, if it wasn't for the english on the sign and the grass, I'd have thought that is from Iraq a few years ago.
It's the intersection of two trends: heavy-handed counter-terrorism policing combined with surplus war equipment. This enables a city police force to put on an impressive show of force -- actually more hardware than real soldiers would carry into combat.

The catch is that instead of going towards counter-terrorism you see it reinforce existing (read: racial) disparities in the society. We got a preview of this in Boston when it was indeed aimed at counter-terrorism. Now we're seeing the same tools being deployed against a poor black neighborhood in Middle America. This is one area where I break bread with the libertarians. Here you see that by enhancing power of the state security services, you see that enhanced power directed at the most vulnerable members of the society.

Neo Duckberg posted:

Uh huh. The Black Panthers are awesome, and they did a great job of corralling everyone, but I have no illusions about what I was walking into, which was a loving riot. Some random kid got a sucker punch in on me. I've had worse. I am not going to bang the racism drum and whine about black hoodlums beating people up. Just so we are clear.
Right. I think that's the right attitude to have.

Koalas March posted:

Even then people subjectivize their objective circumstances in different ways. I don't really care to "understand" why someone would feel so furious about their objective conditions that they would attack strangers. But it also just happens to be a violent civil disturbance, so one has to have different expectations for their own personal security going into it. After all, you don't know most of these folks on the street.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 14, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Omi-Polari posted:

Right. I think that's the right attitude to have.

It was p. rude though

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wait I'm confused, is the OP the white guy who got beaten up?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

No, just a guy that got punched once while viewing the protests

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Segmentation Fault posted:

Wait I'm confused, is the OP the white guy who got beaten up?

No, I got hit by a random kid. The other guy was walking his german shepherd.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jrodefeld posted:

It's adorable that you think the private sector and the state are meaningfully distinguishable anymore. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

zen death robot posted:

Some are fatter than others and may or may not have mustaches. Maybe he had some really distinctive sunglasses on as well?

Perhaps he was shouting about being thirsty and demanding a liter of cola.

• Locked thread