Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
It's also cool as hell how it evolves the more you watch it. My first run I felt like I got it, and to a point I did, and on subsequent watches I've seen lots to either support or demolish what I thought I knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Having finished Volume 10 of the manga, my view of Manga Kaworu vs. Anime Kaworu is that they are two sides of the same coin. My interpretation of Kaworu in the anime, which could very well be totally wrong for all I know, is that it was his purely kind nature that helped him and Shinji get so close. He was the one person who didn't "exploit" Shinji in any way and that was because he wasn't human. He lacked that inherent self-interest that exists in all of us, no matter how nice we are. His affection for Shinji was more genuine than any human ever could manage.

But in the manga, the opposite is true. Being alien is not a benefit but a hindrance. He simply cannot think like humans do or understand concepts humans take for granted. His calling Rei a fool for sacrificing her life is a good example. I also used the word "exploit" earlier because Manga Shinji specifically calls out Kaworu for "exploiting me just like everyone else does." This seems to me to be an intentional contrast with the anime.

At the end of the day, Anime Kaworu represents all the pros that come from not being shackled to human frailty. Manga Kaworu meanwhile expresses the cons of this as he lacks the positive traits of being human.

In either case it looks like him growing closer to Shinji is what helps him understand the human heart as he's noticeably less composed and more upset after Shinji starts living with him for a bit. He's beginning to understand human emotions thanks to Rei's sacrifice and Shinji's presence.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Guess we're not getting Robin Williams as Gendo now...
:smith:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Great, another reason for me to be horribly depressed about his death. Thanks a lot. :smith:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Zeruel posted:

Honestly the worst part about Robin kicking it :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently he struggled a lot with depression. Maybe that's why he was a fan of Evangelion. :smith:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Truly, the curse of Eva. :smith:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Zeruel posted:

Truly, the curse of Eva. :smith:

Curse of life tbh, always thought that was the meaning of Misatos line.

Poor Robin, :smith: wish someone or anyone had just asked him if he was ok.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone probably did, and he probably made them laugh. :(

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Depression's a loving bastard. That's all there is to it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Someone posted this in the Meme thread in PYF:

From some movie I never watched called One Hour Photo, guess I need to see if it is on Netflix now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Wade Wilson posted:

From some movie I never watched called One Hour Photo, guess I need to see if it is on Netflix now.

It's terrible, don't taint your memories of Robin Williams with it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Shut up, it's one of his best films. Don't expect a comedy though, it's from when he tried doing serious stuff along with Insomnia. He was pretty good at being loving disturbing.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sakurazuka posted:

Shut up, it's one of his best films. Don't expect a comedy though, it's from when he tried doing serious stuff along with Insomnia. He was pretty good at being loving disturbing.

No, for real, I don't have a problem with him doing serious work. I just thought 1 Hour Photo had a really weak plot and no amount of good acting was going to make it engaging.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I actually like the movies he was in where comedy wasn't the main draw of it better than the ones where he's trying to carry the movie by being funny. What Dreams May Come, Bicentennial Man (which was a little funny at the start, but quickly got depressing), etc.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wade Wilson posted:

the kid posted:

Well, he's a good guy, he can fly, and he has a silver sword that can kill bad guys.
I guess 1.5 out of three ain't bad.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

I actually like the movies he was in where comedy wasn't the main draw of it better than the ones where he's trying to carry the movie by being funny. What Dreams May Come, Bicentennial Man (which was a little funny at the start, but quickly got depressing), etc.

I only ever saw Bicentennial Man when I was like... 10 or 11 years old, and lemme tell you, don't let a 10 or 11 year old watch that because every single thing in the movie will go over his head.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Bicentennial Man is best watched as a 10- or 11-year old who really loves robots, because as an adult it's maudlin, way too long, and the best thing it has going for it (Sam Neill's performance) ends halfway through the film.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Paracelsus posted:

I guess 1.5 out of three ain't bad.

Pretty sure I read once that Williams asked for that line to be inserted just to gently caress with people.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bicentennial Man is best watched as a 10- or 11-year old who really loves robots, because as an adult it's maudlin, way too long, and the best thing it has going for it (Sam Neill's performance) ends halfway through the film.

It was nice to see a "robot wants to be human" story that actually addresses some of the prejudice people would have about it in a semi-realistic way (or, at least, close to how Asimov kept trying to address it in his novels), though. Arranging to age and die so that even he didn't know when it would eventually happen was an interesting way to go about it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wade Wilson posted:

It was nice to see a "robot wants to be human" story that actually addresses some of the prejudice people would have about it in a semi-realistic way (or, at least, close to how Asimov kept trying to address it in his novels), though. Arranging to age and die so that even he didn't know when it would eventually happen was an interesting way to go about it.

It's a story about a sentient being, family member, and a beloved public figure committing suicide in order to conform to expectations. This would work as a tragedy or a farce, but Bicentennial Man presents it as a happy ending. It's grotesque, and all the moreso now for the fact that it's Robin Williams in the role.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I seem to recall the music being fairly depressing at the end of the movie, so I don't think the actual intent was for it to be interpreted as a happy ending.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

mr. stefan posted:

Pretty sure I read once that Williams asked for that line to be inserted just to gently caress with people.

He was an avowed Eva fan and that MP Eva figure was from his personal collection, so more than likely. Also I'm still having trouble using past-tense verbs when referring to him :smith:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

3 posted:

He was an avowed Eva fan and that MP Eva figure was from his personal collection, so more than likely. Also I'm still having trouble using past-tense verbs when referring to him :smith:

Okay so hear me out but I have a crazy plan that involves turning everyone into tang all we need is a couple of emotionally damaged 14 year olds.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Okay so hear me out but I have a crazy plan that involves turning everyone into tang all we need is a couple of emotionally damaged 14 year olds.

Only if I get to be Best Bridge Bunny: Hyuga

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Ak Gara posted:

I'll get the paper towels...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

poo poo, I guess I'll be the guy scrubbing up all the blood when the aliens show up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This would work as a tragedy or a farce, but Bicentennial Man presents it as a happy ending.
Its a 'happy' ending for the character because he achieves his goal and is actually legally accepted moments before his death.

Its tragic for the audience because we see the insane sacrifices the character makes in order to achieve those goals.

Perhaps you're looking for bittersweet.

Like when Shinji got an eye full of Asuka's AT fields.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TARDISman posted:

poo poo, I guess I'll be the guy scrubbing up all the blood when the aliens show up.

Y'know, I kind of wish they'd added in a Day in the Life Of one of the grunts who helps clean up the carnage left by the Angels' destruction during that recap episode ~midway through the series.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Y'know, I kind of wish they'd added in a Day in the Life Of one of the grunts who helps clean up the carnage left by the Angels' destruction during that recap episode ~midway through the series.

I just remember the one that just tried to flatten Tokyo 3 washing away most of the city with its blood in Rebuild 2.0. The sheer amount of blood in this series is kinda hilarious to me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

pretty sure like, 80% of the Robin Williams filmography already does that pretty well. I remember being an angry little boy when I got duped with whatever they were thinking with Flubber. Plus I think stuff like Patch Adams and Death to Smoochy are basically film crimes against humanity.

RIP though, sweet eva fan (I wonder what a nigga's OTP was...probably Rei :regd09: )

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TARDISman posted:

I just remember the one that just tried to flatten Tokyo 3 washing away most of the city with its blood in Rebuild 2.0. The sheer amount of blood in this series is kinda hilarious to me.

"...Goddammit... I am so demanding dental on the next contract negotiation."

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

"...Goddammit... I am so demanding dental on the next contract negotiation."

"No collective bargaining rights my rear end... loving Gendo."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wade Wilson posted:

"Why this here is a monstrous nightmare giant, an abomination of steel and flesh cloned from a dead god, created by the illuminati to kill children and end the world... yes, yes it is a 'good guy'"

Nah it's alright, it's just a very tame thriller. It's sort of like if The Cable Guy wasn't a comedy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

pretty sure like, 80% of the Robin Williams filmography already does that pretty well. I remember being an angry little boy when I got duped with whatever they were thinking with Flubber. Plus I think stuff like Patch Adams and Death to Smoochy are basically film crimes against humanity.

RIP though, sweet eva fan (I wonder what a nigga's OTP was...probably Rei :regd09: )

Jack was worse than them all. Jack was worse than anything.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

There's a game like that actually, Viscera Cleanup Duty or something like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Flytrap posted:

There's a game like that actually, Viscera Cleanup Duty or something like that.

Are you talking about http://www.runestorm.com/viscera ?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, that's it. Saw a sorta playthrough thing, thought it looked interesting.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What would've happened in 3.33 had Kaworu encountered 2 different spears, as he expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
As the title of the film implies, they would have gotten a REDO, or some sort of version of instrumentality where Kaworu would guide and help Shinji in creating some version of existence that wasn't so loving bleak.

I think. It's Eva so who knows.