Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Grawl posted:

Do you drive slower when your CPU isn't cool? Because then I have a problem, since my CPU is cooled properly but I still drive bad :(

I drive slow regardless of CPU temperatures but in this case it was more like 'huh why is it stuttering what's with these temperatures why isn't the fan spi… oh poo poo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

Are you on a screen that looks like this on the lower left?

If so, TM2 may be waiting on you to place a trigger, and it won't do anything as long as you're in that mode. To turn off that mode, press the circled/arrowed button. At that point, you should just be able to hit Esc and go back to the regular editor.

Hopefully that's it...if not, provide a screenie, and I'll try to help.

Yes, thank you.

More importantly it's (mostly) complete! I know it can be improved, especially specific sections, but I'm not sure how I should or want to, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what people think. Should take just under a minute.

e: Will this work?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 14, 2014

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Maybe throw it up someplace that doesn't require messing around with steam subscriptions? There's apparently no way (?) to just download the drat file even after the necessary subscription--Steam wanted to add it to a "TM2 collection" which I don't have since I don't have TM2 installed through Steam.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Ok finally back from vacation and going through all the replays and skins for aas bandit to make cameras, me to record and Grawl to edit. :effort:

Regarding skins, they all work fine for me (both Steam and custom-downloaded), I dunno what problems you guys had:

Some possible causes:
- You need the full version of the game apparently.
- You need to restart the game after you download a skin from ManiaPark/Steam/etc (if you already had it running).
- Don't extract skins, they'll either come in a ZIP or a GBX that you just place as-is in the folder.
- You cannot use 3D skins from previous games (Trackmania Forever, etc), they won't show up.
- You might still be able to use 2D skins (custom paintjobs) from previous games.
- The custom skins show up before the vanilla skins now (unlike in previous games).

Also to edit your skin into your replay afterwards, just edit it in the Replay Simple Editor, although this seems to reset the convenient time shown on the list, which makes it more cumbersome for us to find out your actual time (it's nice that you put it in the email but we can't just take your word for it :v:).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I found my skin problem, it was that I'm an idiot. When I took it off he website, I grabbed the Zip but not the loc file to go with it. Just in case anyone else was doing the same dumb thing.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
I grabbed a ton of Skins from the Steam Workshop and about half of them worked.
I'm not sure what the deciding factor is, which is a pity because the Sanic skin looked silly enough to love.

Side note: I'm glad I got mine to work. Something satisfying about watching my Rainbow Dash car disintegrate every time I hit a wall.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

ViggyNash posted:

Yes, thank you.

More importantly it's (mostly) complete! I know it can be improved, especially specific sections, but I'm not sure how I should or want to, so I decided to just throw it out there and see what people think. Should take just under a minute.

e: Will this work?

Just upload it on Mania Exchange.
Set it to unreleased if you don't want it being publicly visible.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Okay, I can't even play the loving map anymore without getting pissed off within ~10 minutes. I've got a feeling I'll be uploading my just under one minute time because gently caress this.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Yeah, I got a time of 58 on the first day, and haven't been able to do anything since.

That is mainly because of the stupid "trees" that entropist decided were an amazing idea...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I love the trees, if you line things up right you can drive straight through as though they weren't even there. Those slow drifts after the second checkpoint, on the other hand, are a right pain to do properly.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Yes indeed. :)

I like it overall! The biggest thing you need to do is add first-person cams at the two loops. It's quick and easy to do, and you can find tutorials on YouTube. I went ahead and quickly added them so I could more easily drive your track. If you want to see what I did, you can grab it here. The other thing you'd do is add triggers at any CPs to revert to normal cam if you respawn.

I like some of the unconventional stuff that you've done with the loops, I like the few sections that kind of sneak up on you, and I like the nice mix of block types. The one loop-into-wallride was fun too.

Stuff that I didn't like as much (other than the lack of first-person loop cams)--there are two sections that seemed maybe a bit too unfriendly. The one U-turn followed by a hard right onto the descending ramp at ~30 seconds is pretty awkward, even when you know it's coming. The other one was the wallride going right into another hard U-turn at ~45. Part of what made that unfriendly is that you want to try to stay low/left while you're on the wallride, but if you do, you clip the edge of the ramp/wall where it sticks out...

This is a cool first effort! You'll probably want to add some signs eventually, and do intro/replay if you feel up to it. :)

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Jabor posted:

I love the trees, if you line things up right you can drive straight through as though they weren't even there. Those slow drifts after the second checkpoint, on the other hand, are a right pain to do properly.

The thing about the slow drifts is that on my fastest run I don't slow down at all. I still don't know how I did that, and I can't get it to happen again.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

Yes indeed. :)

I like it overall! The biggest thing you need to do is add first-person cams at the two loops. It's quick and easy to do, and you can find tutorials on YouTube. I went ahead and quickly added them so I could more easily drive your track. If you want to see what I did, you can grab it here. The other thing you'd do is add triggers at any CPs to revert to normal cam if you respawn.

I like some of the unconventional stuff that you've done with the loops, I like the few sections that kind of sneak up on you, and I like the nice mix of block types. The one loop-into-wallride was fun too.

Stuff that I didn't like as much (other than the lack of first-person loop cams)--there are two sections that seemed maybe a bit too unfriendly. The one U-turn followed by a hard right onto the descending ramp at ~30 seconds is pretty awkward, even when you know it's coming. The other one was the wallride going right into another hard U-turn at ~45. Part of what made that unfriendly is that you want to try to stay low/left while you're on the wallride, but if you do, you clip the edge of the ramp/wall where it sticks out...

This is a cool first effort! You'll probably want to add some signs eventually, and do intro/replay if you feel up to it. :)

Thanks!

I went into it wanting to use new blocks or old ones in ways I hadn't seen before. I wanted to use a lot of underground blocks, but I couldn't make them work well with the rest of the track.

That first section you criticized is one I changed drastically before releasing. For the longest time, it was a sideways jump/u-turn from one ramp to another, but I just couldn't find a way to make the landing not awkward and keep your speed going out. What I changed it to I didn't like much either, but I wasn't sure how to change it. I just came up with an idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

The second, I'm not sure that I want to change. I like that bit. I suggest maybe using a longer vertical arc and breaking heavily into the u-turn.

One bit I was hoping to get feedback on was that jump that goes over 2 lanes of track and ends on a concrete section with a tight turn. I've had a bunch of iterations of that landing segment but haven't liked any of them. I know I should change something about either the jump or the landing section, but I don't know how. I also wasn't sure about the tight road bit after the first loop. Was that interesting or annoying?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strong Mouse posted:

The thing about the slow drifts is that on my fastest run I don't slow down at all. I still don't know how I did that, and I can't get it to happen again.

Most important part of it, I think is keeping speed through that first right-left section, which requires braking right before it. Then you gotta keep close to the right wall, using brakes/letting go of gas as necessary until you get to the left turn taking you to the third checkpoint. That's how I handle it at least.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 15, 2014

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Replay validated; not too bad, not too good; I hope to get roughly halfway like the last race.
I'll be on vacation from now up to next sunday, which leaves me a full evening to practice the next track :suicide: I hope to get at least a gold medal time...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Okay, I can't even play the loving map anymore without getting pissed off within ~10 minutes. I've got a feeling I'll be uploading my just under one minute time because gently caress this.

Strong Mouse posted:

Yeah, I got a time of 58 on the first day, and haven't been able to do anything since.

That is mainly because of the stupid "trees" that entropist decided were an amazing idea...
No posting times, especially when you haven't even beaten Gold.

:smug:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

ViggyNash posted:

Does this mean multiple submissions are allowed, and we can see how people are doing in pseudo-real time?

Also holy poo poo Entropist, how did you get under 38? I can't even figure out how to get under 41.
Not really, we still prefer to keep the times under wraps until the deadline, otherwise you'd know how much better Entropist is ahead of time! :v:

You can submit multiple times if you happen to beat the time you thought was unbeatable, just don't spam us with replays.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ugh, my first day on the track I did a decent run through the track, but what really shined was that I did as well on the final spiral as I expect myself to ever do.

I desperately want to improve this time by at least a little so I don't feel like I wasted all this time, but ugh. My ghost is my own worst enemy. It's been at least three or four hours and I haven't even gotten close.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Are there collections of the old seasons' tracks anywhere? The season 3 page has a track collection, but none of the other ones, at least as far as I see. I could go and find them by hand but I'd rather not if I can help it.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Thistledown posted:

Are there collections of the old seasons' tracks anywhere? The season 3 page has a track collection, but none of the other ones, at least as far as I see. I could go and find them by hand but I'd rather not if I can help it.

You can get the tracks from seasons 3 through 6 off my site here--just scroll down to "Something Awful Trackmania Shenanigans".

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
Thanks! Time to relive all the anger and suffering I went through before.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I absolutely despise the current track. There are zero fun sections in it and everything requires way too much precisions to not ruin the run on the spot because you touched anything. Special mention to the entry to the concrete forest and its gateways from hell that are clearly a manifestation of Entropist's sadism.

vvv edit: that as well vvv

CVE fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 17, 2014

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
I despise the current track because I see about a second I can shave off my time but I keep loving it up.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I tried playing it earlier today, wasn't having fun, and I just submitted my time from the first day we got this track.

There are parts of the track I kind of enjoy, but I can't keep playing it.

Eddy Rasta
Mar 9, 2008
Wow, a lot of negativity surrounding this track. I had a lot of fun with it, with the only tricky part being the area following the second and third checkpoints. I'm sure there are ways to go through it faster than how I did, but hell if I can find that perfect drifting angle.

Maybe it's because I throw on some music and hum along, or pop on a podcast, or maybe it's because of all the crap I've had to do across the past six seasons of this, but the challenge in these tracks feels especially genuine, and not awkward or abstruse like some of the tracks that have been in past seasons (I think one of them was called Stratofortress or something like that, and it was pure hell!).

Basically, so far we've had it good in this season. There are far, far worse things that could be happening, such as Season 4's Goontrack. Or most of those Bonus Tracks!

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

The track feels frustrating. I stepped up knowing there would be challenge, so I'm not going to whine too loudly, but so many of my runs go perfect until the second time through the forest, then BAM, right into a tree! Whole time was screwed up.

Okay, 2 more hours then I submit what I got. I don't care if I'm in last place again.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Thistledown posted:

I put an archive up on the site.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Y'all suck, learn to drive and it will be easy.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Smuggest gently caress to every gently caress a smug... gently caress. Never change Entropist.

I for one don't mind it too much, actually got a pretty good kick out of the difficulty and managed to shave two more seconds off. It does grind on you pretty hard after a while so I can understand the frustration.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm not a fan of this one, it has to many "dead stops" - bits that if you mess up even slightly, there is no chance to recover once you flip your car out of the arena.

I did just cut 1.83 seconds off my time this morning, but I was swearing all the way.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Has someone made a video for Track 1 yet, or am I missing something obvious?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

#trackmania IRC posted:

_SupSuper: trying out the trackmania built-in renderer, takes a minute to render each frame, this is gonna be good :V

Pretty sure it's still coming.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm not a fan of this one, it has to many "dead stops" - bits that if you mess up even slightly, there is no chance to recover once you flip your car out of the arena.

That's exactly it in my opinion coupled with the fact that to get around these dead stops you usually need at least half an hour of warmup so it isn't exactly pick up and play material.

Anyway managed to improve my time once more and submitted. I'm done with this one (I could probably get a few tenths more but that isn't worth it) and just in time as I ran out of ways to curse Entropist for this one.

Jodicator
Jun 12, 2014
Getting the developer medal means that one would be at least 5 seconds away from the best time, right? I'd shudder to think how those 5 seconds would be shaved.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Entropist posted:

Y'all suck, learn to drive and it will be easy.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Not sayin I even got the author medal yet but gently caress, this is par for the course if you've gone even halfway through the single player. gently caress.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
This is the first day I had a chance to spend more than a few minutes driving the track (I had a busy week; shut up), and initially, for the first 15-20 minutes, I was kinda struggling and cursing and having a rough time of it.

What changed that was slowing down. It sounds weird, but try taking a few runs through the track, and not braking at all and not trying to drift. Just use purely throttle control and think about when and where you need to slow down, and when and where you can floor it, and what the best clean line is. About the third run of this I tried, I was surprised to pass my old ghost.

I'm now a bit over 3 seconds ahead of that ghost (granted, it wasn't all that fast to start with, but...man, I was struggling so much more than I am now). I've gone back to braking and drifting and so on, but I'm driving in a much less...fussy?...way than I was before, and the track feels a lot better.

The hardest part for me now is hitting this just right:

It's a thing of beauty when you get just the right angle, but you're done if you don't. :suicide:

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Questions about submission via auto-website-thing. (Please forgive my literal-mindedness.)

When choosing a skin do you...
a. Want a link to the webpage the skin is accessible from?
b. Want a direct link to the skin download?
c. Want just the name of the skin if it has already been uploaded?
d. Want a mixture of a, b, or c?
e. None of the above?

I'm asking cuz I wanna stick with the Rainbow Dash skin. Tis awesome.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

aas Bandit posted:

It's a thing of beauty when you get just the right angle, but you're done if you don't. :suicide:

Thanks for the cut, real useful. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

aas Bandit posted:

This is the first day I had a chance to spend more than a few minutes driving the track (I had a busy week; shut up), and initially, for the first 15-20 minutes, I was kinda struggling and cursing and having a rough time of it.

What changed that was slowing down. It sounds weird, but try taking a few runs through the track, and not braking at all and not trying to drift. Just use purely throttle control and think about when and where you need to slow down, and when and where you can floor it, and what the best clean line is. About the third run of this I tried, I was surprised to pass my old ghost.

I'm now a bit over 3 seconds ahead of that ghost (granted, it wasn't all that fast to start with, but...man, I was struggling so much more than I am now). I've gone back to braking and drifting and so on, but I'm driving in a much less...fussy?...way than I was before, and the track feels a lot better.

The hardest part for me now is hitting this just right:

Huh, I never thought of that. Then again, I keep restarting on the first few sections so much that I rarely ever get that far anyway.

• Locked thread