Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr Interweb posted:

Maddow and Chris Hayes both had segments tonight comparing the stuff going on at Ferguson to what went on at the Bundy Ranch, and now I have this sudden urge to throw a brick at something.

I mean, Cliven Bundy and his posse openly admitted they planned to KILL any federal agents who came on his property. You had people AIMING THEIR loving RIFLES at federal agents, and no one gets anywhere near a slap on the wrist. Whereas the protestors in Ferguson have not made any threats, nor are they in any way armed.

I'm glad Bundy eventually lost popularity, even among right-wingers, but he lost it for completely wrong reasons.

This country is so hosed.

And lets not forget that the Bundy crew explicitly planned to round up their women and children to use as human shields in the hopes that the police would accidentally hit one of them, sparking public outrage and support for Bundy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can't seriously hold this kind of position without realizing the apparent hypocrisy can you?

I mean you probably can, but you shouldn't.

Though really the fetishing of non violent protests is just kind of a symptom of American Leftism in many ways. Trying to take the high ground, without having to actually do or risk anything.

I've been involved in nonviolent protests; I do not encourage others to protest violently. How is that hypocrisy?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Derail time!

http://projects.aljazeera.com/2014/south-carolina-schools/

SC public schools are kind of in very different shape depending on where you are in the state. While none of them are what I would consider "good", there are a lot that are better than others. A reporter who graduated from University of South Carolina decided to do a series on it. The series is quite good, but there have already been responses: Notably that Democrats are all to blame for this because they funnel all the sweet, sweet funds into their pockets in the form of graft.

Instead of the idea that no money goes there because there is no money.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
If nothing else this protest has really stirred up some conversation about the militarization of police departments in America. Not that I expect anything to change but this is the first time I can remember this topic being discussed so much. This is anecdotal I know but I don't know a single person who doesn't have a serious objection to cops rolling around with scoped m4s and combat gear in armored vehicles. Yet here we are.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

If nothing else this protest has really stirred up some conversation about the militarization of police departments in America. Not that I expect anything to change but this is the first time I can remember this topic being discussed so much. This is anecdotal I know but I don't know a single person who doesn't have a serious objection to cops rolling around with scoped m4s and combat gear in armored vehicles. Yet here we are.

That because you probably don't know "serious" people in positions of power. I can't think of a single national politician that even acknowledges police militarization as a thing let alone that it's something needing a correction. I expect the most we will get is some half hearted investigations with a bunch of "we must support the police as they are doing their best to maintain the peace" messaging from democrats and republicans alike.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The funding for the DHS grants to police units is provided through the NDAA, which receives an annual vote. I'd expect to see an amendment offered to scale that back. Hard to say what its chances of success would be.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Cythereal posted:

And lets not forget that the Bundy crew explicitly planned to round up their women and children to use as human shields in the hopes that the police would accidentally hit one of them, sparking public outrage and support for Bundy.

If Ferguson was well armed, would they be treated as gingerly?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Jay Nixon is a straight busta

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cheekio posted:

Excuse me for a few moments while I double over laughing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Move over horse cocks

This is the ad to beat

Is there a big illegal immigration problem in Alaska?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I think the obvious issue is that this wasn't a violent protest and then some idiot decided to take it upon himself to stick his dick in the mashed potatoes and make things worse for everyone. Idiots like that are the problem, not peaceful or violent protests inherently. Or, you know, given the way these cops are acting for all we know it was one of them, heh.

Wasn't there something about the FBI, or some other federal group, being behind some of the looting in Seattle during the WTO protests? I remember them admitting to having undercover agents in the protest groups. I doubt that's what happened here, but it isn't without precedent.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope the PD burns down with every last officer trapped inside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxaCa-hr8o

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

SquadronROE posted:

Derail time!

SC public schools are kind of in very different shape depending on where you are in the state. While none of them are what I would consider "good", there are a lot that are better than others. A reporter who graduated from University of South Carolina decided to do a series on it. The series is quite good, but there have already been responses: Notably that Democrats are all to blame for this because they funnel all the sweet, sweet funds into their pockets in the form of graft.

Having gone to an IB high school in a wealthy white part of South Carolina and having graduated from USC summa cum laude, I see nothing wrong with the SC education system.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Cheekio posted:

Depends on skin color.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Cheekio posted:

If Ferguson was white, would they be treated as gingerly?

Yes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Maddow and Chris Hayes both had segments tonight comparing the stuff going on at Ferguson to what went on at the Bundy Ranch, and now I have this sudden urge to throw a brick at something.

I mean, Cliven Bundy and his posse openly admitted they planned to KILL any federal agents who came on his property. You had people AIMING THEIR loving RIFLES at federal agents, and no one gets anywhere near a slap on the wrist. Whereas the protestors in Ferguson have not made any threats, nor are they in any way armed.

I'm glad Bundy eventually lost popularity, even among right-wingers, but he lost it for completely wrong reasons.

This country is so hosed.

No more hosed than things were 50 years ago. The black panthers stopped being beaten by legally open carrying - the cops don't gently caress with people that can fight back.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

No more hosed than things were 50 years ago. The black panthers stopped being beaten by legally open carrying - the cops don't gently caress with people that can fight back.

Sounds like an argument in defense of our second amendment rights.

If the police are going to gently caress with you anyway, why protest NON-violently?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Because urban police forces these days are kitted out more like the military than a police agency and you are going to lose and die. I guess that's cool if you are an accelerationist but I'm not.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

hobbesmaster posted:

And all of a sudden, courtesy of St. Ronnie himself, say hello to the Milford Act.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Amergin posted:

If the police are going to gently caress with you anyway, why protest NON-violently?

The legal carrying of weaponry is non-violent, we shouldn't blur the line between the ownership of power and the illegal usage of it.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

MrBims posted:

The legal carrying of weaponry is non-violent, we shouldn't blur the line between the ownership of power and the illegal usage of it.

I'm sure the police would see it that way and not use that giant sniper rifle on a tripod.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

This would be the fastest way to get vastly tougher restrictions on guns in America ;)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Joementum posted:

The funding for the DHS grants to police units is provided through the NDAA, which receives an annual vote. I'd expect to see an amendment offered to scale that back. Hard to say what its chances of success would be.

There is no way that a politician in this day and age, either Democrat or Republican, is going to put their name on an amendment to reduce funding to police units and risk getting beat over the head with being "soft on crime".

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Welcome to the revolution, Comrade Amergin

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

There is no way that a politician in this day and age, either Democrat or Republican, is going to put their name on an amendment to reduce funding to police units and risk getting beat over the head with being "soft on crime".

Your rhetoric is about 20 years out of date.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Brannock posted:

This would be the fastest way to get vastly tougher restrictions on guns in America ;)

As if the open-carrying black people wouldn't just be shot?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

Your rhetoric is about 20 years out of date.

Police lobbies still wield a ton of power in state legislatures and will show up en masse to oppose any measure that means they don't get to drive around literal tanks and dress up high speed as gently caress.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

"The officer noted that the suspect was reaching for his gun when lethal force was used"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Here is a curated set of tweets from veterans comparing their training with ferguson

https://storify.com/AthertonKD/veterans-on-ferguson

Also, the chief of the police here has been removed (not sure if this is ferguson chief or at Louis county chief) and state and federal is taking over

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope the PD burns down with every last officer trapped inside.

Same but literally every police station in the US.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Swan Oat posted:

Same but literally every police station in the US.

Somewhere, a Freeper feels vindicated, and is unsure why.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Was listening to CSPAN this morning and apparently the push for English as the national official language is is still quite popular, including in blue states.

The arguments against the idea were basically "it's racist" and "learning languages is fun why do you hate fun?" whereas the arguments in favor were essentially "it's more convenient, it helps solidarity in the country, most western developed nations have it and it helps prevent splinter groups such as the Quebecois Bloc, the Catalonians, etc."

To be honest I don't understand why we haven't done this yet. There's nothing preventing people from labeling their products in multiple languages for private reasons or for market share, but enforcing English language learning would be helpful for the labor market, politics, and a whole host of things.

Besides, if most of western Europe has official languages (and Canada), are we calling them racist for it? Obviously not.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SquadronROE posted:

Derail time!

Sanford really hosed over SC education and it has sent the state into a tailspin. No company wants to invest because the education is mediocre at best and they can't pull out of state talent easily because who the gently caress wants to live in SC if they have another choice? BMW is their one success story but that is more than offset by the clown show of the Charleston Boeing plant. No investment means no money for education which just makes everything worse.

Federal money would be a great help but thanks to the ban on earmarks and DEBT obsessed GOP there is none to be had. My mother was working on a hugely successful program supporting high school teachers to get kids' writing skills up to levels required by colleges and businesses but funding is gone now and all the foundational work had to be abandoned.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amergin posted:

Was listening to CSPAN this morning and apparently the push for English as the national official language is is still quite popular, including in blue states.

The arguments against the idea were basically "it's racist" and "learning languages is fun why do you hate fun?" whereas the arguments in favor were essentially "it's more convenient, it helps solidarity in the country, most western developed nations have it and it helps prevent splinter groups such as the Quebecois Bloc, the Catalonians, etc."

To be honest I don't understand why we haven't done this yet. There's nothing preventing people from labeling their products in multiple languages for private reasons or for market share, but enforcing English language learning would be helpful for the labor market, politics, and a whole host of things.

Besides, if most of western Europe has official languages (and Canada), are we calling them racist for it? Obviously not.

The only thing an official language actually does is require that government forms be in that language. It doesn't do anything else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"enforce English language learning". Yeah that sounds like a thing that can be done.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yet there'll still be press 1 for English for everything because the free market determined bilingual call robots are useful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sanford really hosed over SC education and it has sent the state into a tailspin. No company wants to invest because the education is mediocre at best and they can't pull out of state talent easily because who the gently caress wants to live in SC if they have another choice? BMW is their one success story but that is more than offset by the clown show of the Charleston Boeing plant. No investment means no money for education which just makes everything worse.

Federal money would be a great help but thanks to the ban on earmarks and DEBT obsessed GOP there is none to be had. My mother was working on a hugely successful program supporting high school teachers to get kids' writing skills up to levels required by colleges and businesses but funding is gone now and all the foundational work had to be abandoned.

Do you have any sources on the Boeing thing? I know that Charleston had to basically build an entire wing onto the local community college and fund the training for them, but I don't have any real information about how it went.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

"enforce English language learning". Yeah that sounds like a thing that can be done.

Oh there is certainly plenty that can be done to enhance English language skills and proficiency, primarily by giving money to teachers and educational programs.

Yet strangely the GOP has completely gutted those programs and grants as I mentioned above. Funny thing huh?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Amergin posted:

I think you will find that our last major separatist movement also spoke English.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you will find that our last major separatist movement also spoke English.

Well, barely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

zoux posted:

Is there a big illegal immigration problem in Alaska?

No, Joe Miller is just going for the Valley racist vote; they even have a German "heritage" school out there.

• Locked thread