Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Crust First posted:

you can confirm ownership quite easily without moving coins at all. it's just public key crypto, so you can sign any message required as proof. it's just like pgp/gpg, except instead of being impossible to use for normal people, it's impossible to use for normal people and also stupid.
right, but the tools to easily do so aren't really there. if the standard wallet app had a "generate signature" button and a "this signature means control of this address" text field and button it would be pretty simple, which is why I don't consider it an intrinsically broken part of the protocol, just something that requires you sitting down and spending ten minutes explaining what's happening to someone

which is, by the way, saying "you can trust me because of this system, which you don't understand, but trust me it works"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

theflyingorc posted:

we aren't sure what bitpay is doing, I suspect they're hoarding and slowly eating through their investor money in the hopes that the price spikes again and they can then sell

otherwise, since they just announced they process for free, they have 0 dollars worth of inputs as far as I can tell? the only way they can possibly expect to make money is from selling bitcoin in the future

edit: we can talk with him now since we all died at the end of the last thread

all they have to do is start their own exchange so they can force the price up again with bots and lag

theflyingorc posted:

which is, by the way, saying "you can trust me because of this system, which you don't understand, but trust me it works"

which is ironically how 90% of the sites on the internet broke when that SSL 0-day happened a couple months ago

that's not really a bitcoiner-only phenomenon

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

theflyingorc posted:

right, but the tools to easily do so aren't really there. if the standard wallet app had a "generate signature" button and a "this signature means control of this address" text field and button it would be pretty simple, which is why I don't consider it an intrinsically broken part of the protocol, just something that requires you sitting down and spending ten minutes explaining what's happening to someone

there is a sign message and verify message function built into the default client, but i've never actually used it, so i can't say how poo poo it is. i think it requires an address, a message, and a signature to verify, which is a bit crap (the fact you don't get a single block of text to paste for verification), but honestly even if it was amazing nobody would use it anyway, or if people used it someone would just sign a message with a bitcoin address that sort of looked like the address they were claiming but was a bit different (because nobody checks the whole drat address). i dont think its a problem you can solve with software, public key crypto would need to be solved by educating the people who would need to use it, and lord knows bitcoiners arent able to educate anyone on anything, least of all themselves.

im not trying to defend bitcoin in any way, btw, i just prefer when mocking is on target, so it doesnt give them an out to go "well if you just understood, man, have you read the whitepaper?"

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Stop talking about technical poo poo and start posting stuff like someone said buttcoin, wtf

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i'm not certain we're in much disagreement. what i think they should have is just a simple format where you can enter your private key, have it ping the network in some way, and have the ledger contain "Address X verified as owned with attached message: XXXXXXXXXX" so that you've got something contained within the protocol, not just some random thing only using the underlying public key cryptography it's built on. I geuss that creates the problem of spamming "transactions", though.

the way of solving it that you're describing is basically more bitcoin that bitcoin is in clumsiness. i get that it's possible, but it's not a good solution, and i think it's a usability issue with the protocol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

...I'm actually not sure if there are any other "flaws" with Bitcoin. so I can only think of 5 base issues, 2 of which could probably be fixed (deflationary and ownership), and 3 of which are showstopping root problems with the very idea of BTC

perpetual massive energy waste is the big drawback you didn't list, but i'm not sure how fixable that is

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Bitcoin isn't actually a good protocol because literally the only thing that protects it: dispersed miners didn't actually end up being a thing in real life. Bitcoin doesn't actually work.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sharknado slashfic posted:

Stop talking about technical poo poo and start posting stuff like someone said buttcoin, wtf

bringing this one out of retirement too

e. FCKGW plz put this on buttcoin.org tia

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Bitcoin isn't actually a good protocol because literally the only thing that protects it: dispersed miners didn't actually end up being a thing in real life. Bitcoin doesn't actually work.

mods toxx this man until he tells us about the time his boyfriend 3-D printed a Dildo remover to remove the 3-D dildo he printed and stuck in his rear end when his wife left him for reverse mortgaging her parents house for Bitcoin

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

BeOSPOS posted:

Hey new chooch guy when you fix amberpos please put this at the top of yospos

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

this response is interesting if only for the fact that overstocks ceo is a bitcoin believer, which makes overstock one of the very very few companies actually accepting bitcoin through bitpay and not dollars through bitpay

FUD right?

isn't he taking like 90% in cash, and only 10% in butts?

TVarmy posted:

it's like going to a gay prostitute and having him reassure you that you're still completely straight so you can go back to being a minister.

same

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sweevo posted:

mods toxx this man until he tells us about the time his boyfriend 3-D printed a Dildo remover to remove the 3-D dildo he printed and stuck in his rear end when his wife left him for reverse mortgaging her parents house for Bitcoin

Like I would ever have a wife, do you know who I AM?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like I would ever have a wife, do you know who I AM?

a breathless d&d tech fetishist?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BeOSPOS posted:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Hey new chooch guy when you fix amberpos please put this at the top of yospos

i use amberpos and havent noticed anything that needs fixing...?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

i'm pretty sure it's by design that you can't prove somebody has control of a bitcoin wallet unless they volunteer a signed message.

the scenerio in satoshi's mind probably went like this:

a butt vignette posted:

Alice owns 25 bitcoins, worth over 9 billion dollars now that bitcoin has gone up uP UP. Bob runs the federal government, which UNJUSTLY wants to tax Alice's capital gains. Nothing give him the right as the 16th amendment [...]

After the judge ignores Alice's compelling gold fringe argument, he declares Alice must give over her private key. She says she forgot it and that it's impossible to prove she has control of it unless she volunteers that information. The case is dropped, and Bob decides to disband the government and start either a parody cult or quality organic grain company.

Of course in reality it would be,

quote:

Judge: Alice, you bought heroin just last night from this address, and we saw you pick up and use the heroin. We have enough to lock you up, but we'll go easy on you if you give us your private key. Besides, even if you take your prison sentence and leave, we're watching that account forever. If you take even one satoshi out, we're going to find you.

Alice: THIS ENTITY IS ALICE WITH A CAPITAL A. I mean, my private key is 5HtwVU1fGqWDU8HXYmgSBmkkgv1QYjg3TmwceWTyhmc8dWV1zK1.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
p. sure the reasoning in satoshi's mind went "uh this british model train store declined my visa debit card, there's got to be a better way"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
alice always seemed like such a nice girl :(

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

which is ironically how 90% of the sites on the internet broke when that SSL 0-day happened a couple months ago

that's not really a bitcoiner-only phenomenon

idgi, how does heartbleed relate to that?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

edit: we can talk with him now since we all died at the end of the last thread

not sure that ghosts can talk to double ghosts, waiting on confirmations

wait, did they???

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pardot posted:

i use amberpos and havent noticed anything that needs fixing...?

Oh I read somewhere it wasn't working. I'm a green supremacist myself

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Boxturret posted:

alice always seemed like such a nice girl :(

not like that nosy bitch eve

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

computer toucher posted:

idgi, how does heartbleed relate to that?

"you can trust me because of this system, which you don't understand, but trust me it works" is the base of every "open source is more secure because it's open" argument

when the reality is that 99.99999% of people who use it don't have any interest in the backend and trust that the remaining .000001% who work on it aren't actively or accidentally loving them over

and then sometimes a bigass bug gets through like heartbleed and everyone's confused how it happened

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ursine Asylum posted:

and then sometimes a bigass bug gets through like heartbleed and everyone's confused how it happened

when heartbleed happened someone dug up a post by a guy who was like "i took a look at openssl and it is a huge piece of poo poo, nobody use it" but everyone totally ignored him

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

the biggest of these is that it is inherently deflationary which is dumb as hell, it's literally the only part of the system where I think Satoshi was actively stupid

the lack of chargebacks is a completely unacceptable flaw and also intrinsically necessary for a distributed system afaik, I can't imagine a scenario where you could fix it without creating a central authority. if someone invented a version of bitcoin where you could somehow do chargebacks i'd honestly think you had a workable payment method but I suspect it's impossible
being deflationary is dumb, but any predefined amount or algorithm for the amount of newly generated coins is at least almost as dumb, without that central authority again it'll presumably end up hyperinflationary or deflationary at some point as the market's growth naturally differs from the rate of new coins

theflyingorc posted:

...I'm actually not sure if there are any other "flaws" with Bitcoin. so I can only think of 5 base issues, 2 of which could probably be fixed (deflationary and ownership), and 3 of which are showstopping root problems with the very idea of BTC
the way i think bitcoin works (seems to be from what i picked up reading reddit reposts but i don't give enough of a poo poo to investigate actual technical details :justpost:) is that any leftover difference between the input (value held by the sender's address) and output (sum of the amounts send to recipients) is used as the transaction fee to :spergin:tip:spergin: the miners. so if someone only wants to send some of their address' bitcoins and keep the rest (the "change") still in that address they have to list the address as one of the recipients with the exact amount of change to basically "send it to themself". idk maybe doing it that way helps things if a transaction has more than one input address, but i haven't bothered to think that through because even if it does literally nobody ever does that afaik, so instead it should have been set up where there's some defined way to specify an an exact amount as the transaction fee, with any leftover value just remaining in the input address.

the way things are it has caused things like people losing comical amounts of bitcoins as mining fees (emptying their wallets) when testing their own badly-programmed implementation, and that whole "enjoy sochi" thing. a spammer was sending out insignificant fractions of bitcoins to various addresses, without a transaction fee so they typically didn't go through, and some of the recipients' clients locked them out preventing them from spending, which i think was because those clients were set up to not spend bitcoins from an address with unconfirmed transactions so that the client would be sure of the exact value of that address and therefore the exact amount to send back to itself as change

so the lovely way it's been implemented has been p. good for laffs but hasn't been particularly Good For Bitcoin

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 14, 2014

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
anyway sorry for the effortpost

"buttcoin"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:monocle:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dren posted:

when heartbleed happened someone dug up a post by a guy who was like "i took a look at openssl and it is a huge piece of poo poo, nobody use it" but everyone totally ignored him

unless you've got something in your hand that's a viable replacement or a real fix for the problem, saying "$codebase is a huge pice of poo poo, nobody use it" is the second-biggest waste of time you could involve yourself in

jony ive aces posted:

effort :words: in yospos

this is of course the first biggest

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

jony ive aces posted:

stupid way transactions occur leading to miners fees that wipe out a wallet

i think the reason for this is because "satoshi" wanted people to never use the same address ever again after using it once. the reference client uses all these hidden change addresses (that are generated every 50 transactions or something so if your backup is too old your coins are lost forever) to help with the "bitcoin is anonymous and also has a public ledger!" issue; if you can't be sure which part of a transaction is the "change" and which part is the "bought some drugs" it makes it harder (in theory) to follow the flow of cash. of course most people hate that idea and want to use the same address all the time, which means you have to send the change back to yourself, which is completely screwy and non-intuitive. it's one of many "technical solutions" in bitcoin to handle issues caused by bitcoin.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Thank you for your service

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Muscle Tracer posted:

stay safe bitcoin stymie

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

Thank you for your service
if you enjoyed my post pls tip me at 1BitcoinEaterAddressDontSendf59kuE

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Ripoff posted:

honestly if bitcoin is the work of one guy it's still p. impressive despite some glaring flaws, like you said
it's not the work of a single guy in any meaningful sense. it's based on a number of earlier protocols and ideas, which are based on earlier ideas etc.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

check out last 3 tweets (about magicaltux)
https://twitter.com/0xabad1dea

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

check out last 3 tweets (about magicaltux)
https://twitter.com/0xabad1dea

content from ^

code:
flareon:~ abadidea$ echo "AhvXyxUHl2D1hiwXKOKeuHRYEL1Nsmp9QYS08c0Emdub+A/G5rFstLg1THv+gzpNWTbqdKOyA8PrVCQ9KdBJLFs=" | base64 --decode --output ~/Desktop/tweet1.out
flareon:~ abadidea$ hexdump -C ~/Desktop/tweet1.out 
00000000  02 1b d7 cb 15 07 97 60  f5 86 2c 17 28 e2 9e b8  |.......`..,.(...|
00000010  74 58 10 bd 4d b2 6a 7d  41 84 b4 f1 cd 04 99 db  |tX..M.j}A.......|
00000020  9b f8 0f c6 e6 b1 6c b4  b8 35 4c 7b fe 83 3a 4d  |......l..5L{..:M|
00000030  59 36 ea 74 a3 b2 03 c3  eb 54 24 3d 29 d0 49 2c  |Y6.t.....T$=).I,|
00000040  5b                                                |[|

flareon:~ abadidea$ echo "AkHf/St2Y68RiadVqkGhIyTE+og7xQctpJwi56WiHR68dXyG3Wi5NXvGLEsOSyT7aLHAHynhJLExWly9qYKLbKM=" | base64 --decode --output ~/Desktop/tweet2.out
flareon:~ abadidea$ hexdump -C ~/Desktop/tweet2.out 
00000000  02 41 df fd 2b 76 63 af  11 89 a7 55 aa 41 a1 23  |.A..+vc....U.A.#|
00000010  24 c4 fa 88 3b c5 07 2d  a4 9c 22 e7 a5 a2 1d 1e  |$...;..-..".....|
00000020  bc 75 7c 86 dd 68 b9 35  7b c6 2c 4b 0e 4b 24 fb  |.u|..h.5{.,K.K$.|
00000030  68 b1 c0 1f 29 e1 24 b1  31 5a 5c bd a9 82 8b 6c  |h...).$.1Z\....l|
00000040  a3                                                |.|

They're both 65 bytes. Bitcoin keys, incidentally, are 64 bytes. ??? I don't know enough about Bitcoin to speculate further, but if you recover any lost treasure, please send me a share...

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Looks like base64

Oh that's what you did

Carry on

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Hey guys, Just got offered a job relating to bitcoins. And I'm new to the whole thing. Help please. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted an hour ago by GKoala

So I recently replied to an ad for a job as an executive assistant to process bitcoin transactions. Here is what was described to me as the process:

A regular transaction would look like this:

A client registers and verifies his/her order on our website
The client sends funds to your account and confirms this to us
We let you know about the new transaction
You inform us after the funds have cleared into your account (usually 1-2 business days)
We place a buy order with the broker that manages all the bitcoin sellers.
I forward the deposit instructions to you
You cashout the funds, hold your commission and any banking fees and deposit the rest into the indicated seller's account, in person at a teller's desk( usually at Bank of America ).

Part of the job is that I need a bit-coin friendly bank, but after a quick google search I couldn't find much use. (I did find a bit on Bank of the West.

Can you guys help me find a bitcoin friendly bank in the Massachusetts area?

Thanks a lot guys.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
BIT-COIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

advance fee fraud goes bitcoin, yeah

• Locked thread