Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

vkeios posted:

Well, you might still need XP around for a ezflash iv. Its software is required to save patch your roms, but its old as poo poo and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work on newer Windows.

It still works in Win7. Though it still kinda sucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Cool, thanks for all the info. Maybe I'll just stick with my EZ-Flash II? Maybe I'll get an EZ-Flash IV before they're out of production and then just pre-patch the entire GBA romset, future proofing the whole thing? Maybe I'll wait and see if krikzz makes an EverdriveGBA?

The one thing I do know is that the AGS-101 screen I just put in my AGB-001 looks great.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I stopped using my EZFlash II because of the XP requirement plus the SRAM battery died on it and I don't feel like replacing it. I've been much happier with the EZFlash IV. I don't mind missing the RTC since they can mostly be patched out.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I just finished up my Saturn mod, and I've got the itch to do some more complicated work. Anybody got a handy link to the NES2 A/V mod that kills the jailbars? I think it involved clipping a pin on the PPU and building a video amp circuit. I'm ready to fuckin' go to radioshack and probably burn myself once or twice with a soldering iron!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Vegastar posted:

I just finished up my Saturn mod, and I've got the itch to do some more complicated work. Anybody got a handy link to the NES2 A/V mod that kills the jailbars? I think it involved clipping a pin on the PPU and building a video amp circuit. I'm ready to fuckin' go to radioshack and probably burn myself once or twice with a soldering iron!

http://console5.com/wiki/Nintendo_NES-101

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome, thanks. This is gonna be the scariest drat thing I've ever done.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Vegastar posted:

Awesome, thanks. This is gonna be the scariest drat thing I've ever done.

Do your future self a favor and clip Pin21 of the PPU as close to the board as possible. Then it won't be wrecked when you get way into this poo poo and want to install an nesrgb.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

xamphear posted:

Do your future self a favor and clip Pin21 of the PPU as close to the board as possible. Then it won't be wrecked when you get way into this poo poo and want to install an nesrgb.

Noted, even if a $400 upscaler isn't currently in my budget. It would be nice to have that space back from the trinitron, though.

I'm still trying to fully comprehend the circuit diagram. An electrician I am not. I swore I had bookmarked a sort of idiot's guide to doing this at one point, but I can't find it anymore.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Vegastar posted:

Noted, even if a $400 upscaler isn't currently in my budget. It would be nice to have that space back from the trinitron, though.

I'm still trying to fully comprehend the circuit diagram. An electrician I am not. I swore I had bookmarked a sort of idiot's guide to doing this at one point, but I can't find it anymore.

There are a whole bunch of sites that cover the mod, pick your favorite:

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm
http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/nes-101-toploader-av-mod-instructions.html

Also, you don't have to go the upscaler or Sony PVM route to want to do an nesrgb. It's the only way to get S-Video from an NES, and while it's not RGB, it's a huge step up from the stock composite output from the PPU.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

xamphear posted:

There are a whole bunch of sites that cover the mod, pick your favorite:

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/nes2avmod.htm
http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/nes-101-toploader-av-mod-instructions.html

Also, you don't have to go the upscaler or Sony PVM route to want to do an nesrgb. It's the only way to get S-Video from an NES, and while it's not RGB, it's a huge step up from the stock composite output from the PPU.

The retrofixes guide would be super helpful excepting that it doesn't explain how I'm supposed to assemble that video amp circuit. Maybe I'd be better off just buying a drat NESRGB and doing this later. I think I'm losing my motivation for the project the longer I try to figure out how in the gently caress it's assembled.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011
The retrofixes one didn't show you that circuit because they want to sell the kit to you, ofcourse.

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same circuit as shown on gamesx, without the pair of 1.3k resistors and without the connection to the RF modulator.

EDIT: Missed that you're not sure how to wire up the circuit itself.
Most discrete NPN transistors should have E B and C labelled. 5v to C, video pin from the PPU to B, E to the voltage divider and output.

Asbrandt fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 14, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And now a scene from Hellboy: Asylum Seeker - Hellboy throws a one-armed nurse out a window.

The sound just makes it better. And by better I mean hilariously worse.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Please calm down Hellboy

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My coworker brought his NeoGeo, two game pad thingos, and Windjammers to work today.

I'd never seen one in real life, so that was pretty neat :swoon:

Now I really want one.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
Speaking of things I've never seen before, my local Goodwill had about fifty CEDs out on the shelves today. First time I've ever seen one in person. No I didn't buy any, I'm not quite that :retrogames:. Also there was a whole shelf of nothing but Xbox sports games.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

My coworker brought his NeoGeo, two game pad thingos, and Windjammers to work today.

Now I really want one.

So that was an actual Neo Geo AES? Pretty cool. Your co-worker also warned you about their staggering cost to own and collect, right?

Edit: Oh wait, I looked at some pics and it looks more like an Omega MVS. Why all the AES cartridges then? Still cool.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 15, 2014

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

So that was an actual Neo Geo AES? Pretty cool. Your co-worker also warned you about their staggering cost to own and collect, right?

Edit: Oh wait, I looked at some pics and it looks more like an Omega MVS. Why all the AES cartridges then? Still cool.

They're probably MVS carts in AES style shockboxes. Common thing for Neo guys to do.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Yeah it's definitely an omega. You can tell by the lack of reset button.

Shock boxes are pretty popular but are falling out in favor of cardboard sleeves because of how huge they are.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I went to a Savers today and saw a six dollar 20" Emerson CRT. It's got S-Video and looks reasonably big so I figured why not, it's probably better than the LCD I'm currently using. After realizing I would have to use my Wii U tablet to fill in for the missing remote, I have to say I'm really impressed with how strongly the games seem "at home" on it

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

This was fun to do once. I can absolutely see now why the repro guys charge what they do for making these things.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Death of Rats posted:

I realize this is from ~10 pages ago, but this thread moves fast, and I had exactly the same problem. I was originally trying to build an emulator machine that ran on an old laptop, and hyperspin was too slow for it. After some investigation, I found Launchbox (http://www.launchbox-app.com/. It scrapes images and game info from TheGamesDB.net automatically (more-or-less), and is generally pretty good for what you're after. It has controller support too, and seems to work fine with the PSX-USB adapter I had lying around.

Obligatory screenshot (not mine):

Thanks, I'll play around with this.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

flyboi posted:

Shock boxes are pretty popular but are falling out in favor of cardboard sleeves because of how huge they are.

Size is one of the primary reasons why neo-geo games are so cool. I still need to get shockboxes for some of my newer games.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

xamphear posted:

This was fun to do once. I can absolutely see now why the repro guys charge what they do for making these things.

That looks really nice. Also good lot that's a lot of wires. Are all SuperFX games that jam packed?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Dr. Dos posted:

That looks really nice. Also good lot that's a lot of wires. Are all SuperFX games that jam packed?

Yup, all SFX games used TSOP (smaller surface mount chips) rather than DIPs you see on most PCBs where the chip goes through the board. They're probably 50% smaller than the other rom chips which is why it looks so cramped since the memory chip is a DIP

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This looks really, really cool. I might get this all set up tomorrow and see how it works out. I am all for slick frontends for apps.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
:retrogames: report:

Today I went to Goodwill with the intention of getting a new CRT TV. Mine has been having power problems, color problems, and a discolored corner. Anyway, at Goodwill the shelf was a kind of meager selection of tubes, but two stood out: a 27" Toshiba 27AF44 and a 24" Sony KV-24F300. The Toshiba had a remote, so I bought that one. We stuffed it into the back seat of the car and took it home.

It was problems all around. The remote was in fact the wrong one, for a different model of Toshiba TV entirely. Only the power/volume/source buttons worked. Menu was unreachable. As far as picture, the geometry seemed fine but after 30 minutes of playing, most of the screen became quite blurry when text was displayed. I noticed it first on the big text of Dragon Quest/Warrior 7 on PSX, and when text that size is that blurry, there's a real problem. Thankfully, Goodwill has an exchange policy so I took this unit back and picked up the Trinitron.

This one's got its own problems, but they're correctable at least. There's a bit of geometry pinch on the left corners but from looking at the service manual, I can fix it. Getting into service mode requires a remote, but a couple sellers on eBay have them for $5. One corner is slightly yellowish/greenish and I don't know if I can fix that, but it's a far cry from the huge blue/purple splotch on my old TV.

Does anyone have anything I should know about this TV?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KKKLIP ART posted:

This looks really, really cool. I might get this all set up tomorrow and see how it works out. I am all for slick frontends for apps.

It's pretty easy, if you've got a folder of roms you could just have it scan the whole thing. If it can't find info or pictures, adding it yourself is about as hard as editing album info in itunes. You can even add additional items to the right click menu for each game, so like if you wanted some different rom hacks or translations to all appear at one game box, you could set that up.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Tusen Takk posted:

Now I really want one.

Did any work get done that day?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
So when I got home I had a look at my Nintendo Power Previews laserdisc. On the disc itself (no markings on the sleeve) it has NPPV17. Someone earlier had mentioned that it was thought there were 12 different discs out there. Would anyone happen to know of a list of the volume numbers along with what videos were on them? So far I'm not finding anything.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ReverendHammer posted:

Did any work get done that day?

I dunno, I don't work in the Genius Room ever so maybe they snuck it from our break room to there :3:

I totally wouldn't have been able to get anything done if I ha brought something like that that's for sure

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
To continue with the GBA flashcart talk from earlier, if you were going to buy one now which is the current best one to get?

I'm in the market for a GBA SP and am looking for the best to get for it.

Is DS considered retro?

beaver_cheese fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 15, 2014

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

beaver_cheese posted:

To continue with the GBA flashcart talk from earlier, if you were going to buy one now which is the current best one to get?

Is DS considered retro?

I use the EZ Flash IV and it's served me well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Tusen Takk posted:

Now I really want one.

Where do you work where you can do things like this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's kinda hosed up that the Nintendo DS still has one upcoming release for North America and 2 for Europe:

EU September 26: Disney Violetta: Rhythm & Music
EU October 17: Winx Club: Saving Alfea
NA October 28: Disney Big Hero 6

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found this in my long-lost imgur account and it made me sad that ordering poo poo from Japan is too much of a hassle anymore. :(

RIP rakuten

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ReverendHammer posted:

So when I got home I had a look at my Nintendo Power Previews laserdisc. On the disc itself (no markings on the sleeve) it has NPPV17. Someone earlier had mentioned that it was thought there were 12 different discs out there. Would anyone happen to know of a list of the volume numbers along with what videos were on them? So far I'm not finding anything.

That was me, and I tried to find some more detail online but I can't find anything offhand. A guy told me that it's possible that some of the discs would have been reprinted with new volume numbers if they were distributed with newer versions of the TRU kiosk, meaning that the number of unique videos is smaller than the actual total number of volumes, but honestly, I have no idea.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Ok, which one of you put these signs up?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's kinda hosed up that the Nintendo DS still has one upcoming release for North America and 2 for Europe:

EU September 26: Disney Violetta: Rhythm & Music
EU October 17: Winx Club: Saving Alfea
NA October 28: Disney Big Hero 6

My local walmart still carries most of the latest AAA titles for the DS and Wii, its weird.

beaver_cheese posted:

Is DS considered retro?

Actually getting an EZ-Flash IV has proven to be exceedingly difficult in the past. I think the only place that has it is RealHotStuff and they never have it in stock. I wound up having to buy one off a goon last summer.

I'd say the DS is retro now.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm really wondering what types of media racks would be suitable for DS and 3DS cases. Because between having my Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance in 3DS and DS cases it's added a ton to the shelf where I kept my DS and 3DS games to the point where everything is quadruple stacked. Then you have the odd men out like Bravely Default Collector's Edition and SMT4 Collector's edition because of how huge they are.

I'm not sure if I can fit another 8 foot tall media rack, so I'm looking for alternatives. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Orange Mage posted:

I found this in my long-lost imgur account and it made me sad that ordering poo poo from Japan is too much of a hassle anymore. :(

RIP rakuten

What changed? I missed Rakuten order posts

• Locked thread