Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Vahakyla posted:

Since the Missouri State Police took over, Captain Ron Johnson is the one assigned to take over Ferguson Law Enforcement. Here he is, engaging and walking with the protesters.

"“We are going to have a different approach and have the approach that we’re in this together,” Johnson told reporters Thursday. “I understand the anger and fear that the citizens of Ferguson are feeling, and our officers will respect both of those.”"
Seems like a cool dude. He also has personal touch to the area and is from a nearby town.

"Johnson, an African American, is a 27-year veteran of the highway patrol and currently oversees Troop C, which covers 11 counties including St. Louis."

News article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/14/meet-the-missouri-highway-state-patrol-captain-who-is-taking-over-in-ferguson/
Nice to see that people in authority weren't completely tone deaf on Ferguson and realized that the way the police were acting just wasn't acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Vahakyla posted:

Since the Missouri State Police took over, Captain Ron Johnson is the one assigned to take over Ferguson Law Enforcement. Here he is, engaging and walking with the protesters.

"“We are going to have a different approach and have the approach that we’re in this together,” Johnson told reporters Thursday. “I understand the anger and fear that the citizens of Ferguson are feeling, and our officers will respect both of those.”"
Seems like a cool dude. He also has personal touch to the area and is from a nearby town.

"Johnson, an African American, is a 27-year veteran of the highway patrol and currently oversees Troop C, which covers 11 counties including St. Louis."

News article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/14/meet-the-missouri-highway-state-patrol-captain-who-is-taking-over-in-ferguson/

Did this guy successfully de-escalate things?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Torpor posted:

He turned a police riot into a block party in less than 24 hours, so I'd say he's doing a good job.

Edit: If you watch some of the vines Antonio French is putting out it looks and sounds like a liberated city, just a huge honking party.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Chantilly Say posted:

Against anything you would see on the street, yeah. If they get the add on standoff-slat package (there's probably a more technical term for that) it will take an RPG, too. And it's designed to protect occupants from an IED, though it might not be drivable afterwards.

I don't think you can really de-armor an RG-31/33 too much. The armor is primarily the hull and it's shape. You could replace the 6 inch thick windows and strip some of interior kevlar armor but that's just a drop in the bucket.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He turned a police riot into a block party in less than 24 hours, so I'd say he's doing a good job.

Edit: If you watch some of the vines Antonio French is putting out it looks and sounds like a liberated city, just a huge honking party.

I feel like this is a lesson for Gaza or our own war on terror.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
What was the difference between the old guys rhetoric versus this guy's rhetoric.

I think there a couple of psychology type of old police officers. There are the ones that genuinely see the inherent goodness of people, and then tehre are those that don't see humanity at all.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I'm sure this Captain was briefed with "dude, please do not be terrible and don't gas folks. "
He is basically just doing his job and not being terrible.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nevermind

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Good cop/bad cop with a whole town.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

SedanChair posted:

I don't think they're acting out of a sense of obligation to him.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SedanChair posted:

New cop knows what's important, making sure the cop gets off with a minimum sentence, not rubbing their collective dicks in the community's face

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So I've been seeing a lot of talk about how someone on FoxNews called Michelle Obama fat. I know they're not exactly known for their accuracy, but what Michelle Obama are they looking at?

Talk about open carry, just look at dem guns.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

hangedman1984 posted:

So I've been seeing a lot of talk about how someone on FoxNews called Michelle Obama fat. I know they're not exactly known for their accuracy, but what Michelle Obama are they looking at?

People are crazy. Michelle is easily the hottest first lady since at least the 60s

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

hangedman1984 posted:

Calling Michelle fat is a long-running dumb conservative meme. Stop by the Political Cartoons thread if you'd like to be enlightened. tl;dr though, it boils down to "Moochelle is a fatty who wants all the fries to herself and none for anyone else." Yes, some people are that petty about health food movements.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Calling Michelle fat is a long-running dumb conservative meme. Stop by the Political Cartoons thread if you'd like to be enlightened. tl;dr though, it boils down to "Moochelle is a fatty who wants all the fries to herself and none for anyone else." Yes, some people are that petty about health food movements.

But people have seen her right? I know that the Bubble is a thing and people hold misinformed opinions. But look at her!! There is no way that could be considered fat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Fat is the kinder end of the spectrum of conservative Michelle Obama memes. It doesn't take long for them to get to Chewbacca/wookie or gorilla comments.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

Fat is the kinder end of the spectrum of conservative Michelle Obama memes. It doesn't take long for them to get to Chewbacca/wookie or gorilla comments.

I get the gorilla thing though, that's just old fashioned classic racism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hangedman1984 posted:

But people have seen her right? I know that the Bubble is a thing and people hold misinformed opinions. But look at her!! There is no way that could be considered fat.

I guess they believe that black makes you look slimmer.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I guess this is just one of those things where the right wing talking point is just so far ,and obviously, divorced from reality that I am just unable to comprehend how anybody buys it

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It's a dog whistle for "she's a black woman, and thus is inherently unattractive". That is the sole unspoken message.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

hangedman1984 posted:

They've seen her, and they don't care. Women don't generally like being called fat. So they call her fat. It's as simple as that.

Try to think like a 5th grader and you'll understand where they're coming from.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

JT Jag posted:

The political cartoons thread isn't the only thread where that comes up. They live in their own delusional little world.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

hangedman1984 posted:

I guess this is just one of those things where the right wing talking point is just so far ,and obviously, divorced from reality that I am just unable to comprehend how anybody buys it

I want Michelle Obama to show up on Fox and Friends unannounced next time Keith Ablow is on and challenge him to do an hour of exercise with her, live.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

hangedman1984 posted:

It's intended to confirm the hateful prejudice of FOX's audience. It's not really something they're trying to convince anyone else of.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ReidRansom posted:

This is a really good idea, honestly. It seems every bumfuck little town has a police Humvee they got free through a surplus program, but they'd be put to far better use as ambulances/rescue vehicles for rural paramedics. A bit of googling tells me this isn't terribly common for whatever reason.

comes along bort mentioned it but there are plenty of situations where the Humvee or MRAP are just to big to get to outlying rural locations, especially in wooded or mountainous areas. The place I used to do search and rescue for in NM used a pair of beat to hell Suburbans for SAR teams. One was the litter suburban, the other was the team suburban.

Still, it's a great idea for plenty of locations where you don't have cliffs or large trees lining the backroads.

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Chantilly Say posted:

Against anything you would see on the street, yeah. If they get the add on standoff-slat package (there's probably a more technical term for that) it will take an RPG, too. And it's designed to protect occupants from an IED, though it might not be drivable afterwards.

Somehow I parsed this as talking about snowplows. gently caress THAT INSURGENT SNOW

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Torpor posted:

It seems like a...change of atmosphere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Torpor posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I'd like to note that the cop there is chief of St. Louis Police who intentionally kept his force out of this because

quote:

The possibility of having St. Louis Police Department personnel present with the Ferguson Police in what appears to be a racially-charged and possibly discriminating environment could make it appear that the St. Louis Police Department supports racial discrimination and disenfranchisement.

He showed up after the change of command authority for the scene.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So am I reading too much into this or did all the other PD's in the area already know that the County was a bunch of shitheels and would gently caress things up? I mean it seems like none of the other police were too surprised by any of this, and they are almost showboating a bit just to make it sting that much more.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'd like to note that the cop there is chief of St. Louis Police who intentionally kept his force out of this because

Hahaha has there ever been a more up-front way that one PD told another "um you're pariahs"

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Prester John posted:

So am I reading too much into this or did all the other PD's in the area already know that the County was a bunch of shitheels and would gently caress things up? I mean it seems like none of the other police were too surprised by any of this, and they are almost showboating a bit just to make it sting that much more.

I don't think they knew they would gently caress things up perse, but they clearly didn't want anything to do with this until they were out of the way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Prester John posted:

This is basically my understanding of it. The Michael Brown shooting underscored how terrible the County police are, and the best way to get a pack of wild dogs like them out of power is to let them have some for a little while and let everyone see how they use it.

This is a pretty good short-term fix for the situation, but the accelerationist in me kinda wishes the pressure had been allowed to rise a little more so we could have a better shot at real long-term wide-scope change instead of just replacing these particular horrible cops with normal ones.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Prester John posted:

County Chief Jon Belmar got promoted in January so he's relatively new at this and his previous job was as the head of their SWAT division. That did not bode well for a measured response.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

loquacius posted:

This is basically my understanding of it. The Michael Brown shooting underscored how terrible the County police are, and the best way to get a pack of wild dogs like them out of power is to let them have some for a little while and let everyone see how they use it.

This is a pretty good short-term fix for the situation, but the accelerationist in me kinda wishes the pressure had been allowed to rise a little more so we could have a better shot at real long-term wide-scope change instead of just replacing these particular horrible cops with normal ones.

A House Democrat tried to start up a bill to limit sales of military weapons and equipment to police forces. Knowing what we know about Congress at this stage, it will mostly likely fail. And that's why even in the worst case, nothing would change.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Stultus Maximus posted:

The part you quoted was said by alderman Kennedy in an email exchange with the chief. The chief agreed, but he wasn't that blunt about why

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011
^^ yea that

Stultus Maximus posted:

The possibility of having St. Louis Police Department personnel present with the Ferguson Police in what appears to be a racially-charged and possibly discriminating environment could make it appear that the St. Louis Police Department supports racial discrimination and disenfranchisement.

FYI that quote was actually from an STL Alderman, but the police chief agreed.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...481191726f.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Even that's just dumb and reactionary. If the cops didn't have all this military hardware they'd be rolling up with water cannons or dogs or whatever they have.

The right solution is changing the culture of how police respond to protesters and define a riot. If some Captain or higher decides that a riot is in progress, when in fact it's a peaceful protest with some looting surrounding it, you're going to get a disproportionate response and a possible escalation (especially if the cause for the protest is the police themselves).

Instead the guy who made the call to break out the riot gear needs to be held responsible, to show that the proper escalation of force wasn't followed.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Even that's just dumb and reactionary. If the cops didn't have all this military hardware they'd be rolling up with water cannons or dogs or whatever they have.

The right solution is changing the culture of how police respond to protesters and define a riot. If some Captain or higher decides that a riot is in progress, when in fact it's a peaceful protest with some looting surrounding it, you're going to get a disproportionate response and a possible escalation (especially if the cause for the protest is the police themselves).

Instead the guy who made the call to break out the riot gear needs to be held responsible, to show that the proper escalation of force wasn't followed.

i don't think it's dumb and reactionary to say "american police departments do not have a credible need for mine resistant armored vehicles".

The culture is the problem, sure, but the tech sure helps things escalate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They also don't receive proper training for the new equipment, they are just given it and expected to figure out best practices. They do not.

Also if you think a geared up riot trooper with an assault rifle projects the same image as just a normal police officer, or even one with a shield and baton, you're nuts. The perception of the police by the public is an important factor.

• Locked thread