Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'd truly love to hear from everyone in this thread what they want in a horror movie. What's "out of the ordinary"? It seems like it's hard to do anything "fresh" that isn't just pandering to a current trend (i.e. The Den's use of webcam footage - this isn't a knock since I really enjoyed that film) or specifically made to gross you out. Do you want to see really weird poo poo?

It seems like a lot of folks get angry if they see anything in a film rehashed from previous work - what, specifically, do you want to see?

I'd like to see more extreme horror with some more brains behind it. Like the extremeness of August Underground with the brilliance of Martyrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What's a good movie that has a bleak, oppressive, hopeless tone? Like things just get worse and worse. The characters are trapped and pitted against something they don't understand; utter helplessness. Something along the lines of The Mist, Grave Encounters (preferably without ghosts though if possible), or maybe The Raft.

We all already lost our poo poo over it a few pages ago, but if you ain't seen it yet, The Den. Also my favorite found footage movie of all time and one that completely matches your requested tone is The MacPherson Tape.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I loved The MacPherson tape.

Also, echo that Altered was pretty entertaining.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Unfortunately I've already seen those movies, but they are exactly the type I'm looking for :)

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What's a good movie that has a bleak, oppressive, hopeless tone? Like things just get worse and worse. The characters are trapped and pitted against something they don't understand; utter helplessness. Something along the lines of The Mist, Grave Encounters (preferably without ghosts though if possible), or maybe The Raft.

Inside, The Hitcher (debatable), The Den, [REC], Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Beyond, Wake In Fright

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
As for stuff I'd like to see more of: horror fantasy. Something with the craftsmanship of Peter Jackson's orc sequences, but with an R rating. I think sci-horror already has its gem with Alien(s), but there hasn't really been something to scratch the same itch with fantasy. For me, anyway.

Which Hotel are you talking about? I'm googling for "Hotel horror movie" and the like but all I'm seeing are pages for 1408

Sad Mammal fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 15, 2014

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

As for stuff I'd like to see more of: horror fantasy. Something with the craftsmanship of Peter Jackson's orc sequences, but with an R rating. I think sci-horror already has its gem with Alien(s), but there hasn't really been something to scratch the same itch with fantasy. For me, anyway.

Fantasy is lame. Case in point: Thale.

Best you're gonna get: Troll Hunter (which I really like, actually)

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Sad Mammal posted:

Which Hotel are you talking about? I'm googling for "Hotel horror movie" and the like but all I'm seeing are pages for 1408

I believe he means this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415855/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_5

As per the current open question, I think the ideal that I'm always chasing in horror is the feeling of complete dread when you know something really bad is about to happen, but don't have any idea of what it's going to be. One of the king examples for me is the scene in The Thing where Norris has the heart attack. Simultaneously in that scene you have MacReady coming unhinged and threatening everyone with the dynamite, the beardy dog kennel guy gearing up to try and attack him, the doctor trying to revive Norris, all on top of the base premise that any of these characters could be an alien and attack at any moment. It's obvious that the situation is coming to some sort of dire climax, but there's no way to tell how the scene will resolve until it actually does, and when it does you're as caught up in the moment as the characters.

Contrast versus 90% of all horror movies across all subgenres where all the scary scenes are built up around the basic framework of "character wanders around alone in the dark until they get attacked by something". These scenes can be well constructed enough not to bore, but something is always missing if you know how a scary scene is going to end almost as soon as it starts.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 15, 2014

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I think fantasy is particularly easy to make lame from a lack or budget of creativity. I think even with classics of the genre it wasn't until Lord of the Rings pumped the budget way the gently caress up that you had the sheer technical precision to convince people that a band of something like orcs could be legit grisly and unpleasant, unlike the Harryhausen kinda-goofiness of fantasy classics like Conan. But I don't think that that should be a condemnation of fantasy horror. I think some non-movie stuff nowadays demonstrates there's some good potential out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJtc42B58KI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJbZ2thxCaI

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. Unfortunately I've already seen those movies, but they are exactly the type I'm looking for :)

Kill List? Have you seen Kill List?

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

Sad Mammal posted:

King of Bleh is correct.

There's a scene from the film online but it's kind of spoilerish in that it's the only real scene that's outright horror. But if you want to see here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IZagsMysLk

There are also trailers online but they're hilariously terrible and poorly market the film as something it isn't.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skywalker OG posted:

Fantasy is lame. Case in point: Thale.

I dunno, The Exorcist is pretty well regarded! :downsrim:

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Sire Oblivion posted:

I dunno, The Exorcist is pretty well regarded! :downsrim:

Thought that was religious. Dude asked for orcs and poo poo. Like Twixt or something.

Pan's Labyrinth was kind of good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skywalker OG posted:

Thought that was religious.

:thejoke:

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Absolute and utter unanswerable apocalyptic helplessness did you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsuUS2lcSk4

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What about like Threads or something? Or is that not sufficiently horror-y

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
From the four movies I had on my list, I now watched the third: Henry; portrait of a serial killer.
I'm not sure what to make of it. It deals with murder in an incredible matter-of-fact way. It almost feels like a critique on slashers to show just how bleak and brutal murder is. The entire movie is brown, grey and depressing, oozing a bleak atmosphere that almost explains being a serial killer. I can't say I got anything from it though. It's not fun, there's no relief, hardly any tension. Maybe that's the point, and if so, it does a drat good job of getting that across.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What about Hollow?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I've been wanting to see Hotel for years but can't find a place to watch it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

weekly font posted:

I've been wanting to see Hotel for years but can't find a place to watch it.

Two words: Public. Library.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Grendels Dad posted:

It's an obscure Scandinavian(?) horror film. I don't think my town's lovely public library is gonna help.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

It's an obscure Scandinavian(?) horror film. I don't think my town's lovely public library is gonna help.

You can ask them to get it for you. If any Library has it they can get it sent to them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Normally I'm the one beating this drum, but this movie might be a bit obscure for that. I work for a very big library with a half a dozen branches and it's part of a very good network that comprises 40 towns and none of their libraries have a copy.

axleblaze posted:

You can ask them to get it for you. If any Library has it they can get it sent to them.

Not all libraries participate in out-of-network ILL. Hell, some libraries won't even send DVDs to libraries within their own network, it's really up to their discretion. Which is not to say it isn't worth a shot.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 15, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I'd truly love to hear from everyone in this thread what they want in a horror movie. What's "out of the ordinary"? It seems like it's hard to do anything "fresh" that isn't just pandering to a current trend (i.e. The Den's use of webcam footage - this isn't a knock since I really enjoyed that film) or specifically made to gross you out. Do you want to see really weird poo poo?

It seems like a lot of folks get angry if they see anything in a film rehashed from previous work - what, specifically, do you want to see?

Good rear end question, and here's the answer: I don't know.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Good rear end question, and here's the answer: I don't know.

Like describing what's obscene, "I'll know it when I see it."

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say, one of my favorite comedy beats in a recent horror film was in The Den when Elizabeth is chatting with a 419 scammer. She asks "Has this ever worked?" and in the most cheerful tone he just replies "Yes!" I love that little dude.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Like describing what's obscene, "I'll know it when I see it."

Well, I like being surprised (Xtro), but I don't want to be continually surprised (Scream and its sequels). I like "natural acting" (Toad Road), but I also like community theatre/Shakespeare in the Park stuff (Area 407). I like comedy horror (Dead Alive) but not "comedy horror" (Behind the Mask). So I guess I like to give stuff a try?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonny Angel posted:

I gotta say, one of my favorite comedy beats in a recent horror film was in The Den when Elizabeth is chatting with a 419 scammer. She asks "Has this ever worked?" and in the most cheerful tone he just replies "Yes!" I love that little dude.

It's clearly Tyrone.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006

weekly font posted:

Hotel has absolutely no distribution in North America, as far as I know. Your best bet is to get the UK DVD from Amazon. The good news: It's region free (Amazon says region 2, but DVD reviews say it's region 0). The bad news: It's PAL.

I had to do a lot of searching myself before I found out how to get the movie. The director has gone on to do a bunch of arthouse movies that earn her praise in Europe (she was just at Cannes for something and got raves), but this movie seems to be very hard to find.

Has anyone heard of the movie Left Bank? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0940723/

It got recommended to me a while ago, and it just popped up in my mind again. Is it worth checking out?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anymore reccomendations for horror movies with romance as a major part of the plot? I'm thinking along the lines of Let Me In

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Well, I like being surprised (Xtro), but I don't want to be continually surprised (Scream and its sequels). I like "natural acting" (Toad Road), but I also like community theatre/Shakespeare in the Park stuff (Area 407). I like comedy horror (Dead Alive) but not "comedy horror" (Behind the Mask). So I guess I like to give stuff a try?

I think I know what you mean. My choices in horror can be all over the place and dependent on my mood that day. I don't know what I want out of a horror movie, but if the movie has something I want, I know it once I've seen it.

Evidence (2011) for example, was only so-so, had some interesting stuff going for it, but that climax starts, and I knew 100% that's what I wanted.

Edit: Added the year on Evidence, since there are two separate ones.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Anymore reccomendations for horror movies with romance as a major part of the plot? I'm thinking along the lines of Let Me In

Double feature of May and Roman.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

It's clearly Tyrone.

I feel ashamed for not getting this reference.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Kvlt! posted:

The new film, Life After Beth, may be of interest.

I actually enjoyed the film. It's about a teenage boy whose girlfriend dies by a snakebite, and he has a hard time getting over her. They were also having some issues before she died. Then, when he returns to her house to talk to her parents, he thinks he sees her in the window. It turns out it is her, and she has returned from the dead, but no one knows why, and no one will tell her that she died.

I liked the film because it never devolves into zombie cliches, and actually presents them as humans that slowly lose their essence. In effect, it mirrors the breakdown of a relationship. It's a funny, sweet film that has some elements of horror.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

Embrace of the Vampire and its 2013 remake?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kvlt! posted:

I started making a list of vampire movies and then I realized it would be easier to make a list of vampire movies that aren't also romances.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MacheteZombie posted:

I think I know what you mean. My choices in horror can be all over the place and dependent on my mood that day. I don't know what I want out of a horror movie, but if the movie has something I want, I know it once I've seen it.

Evidence for example, was only so-so, had some interesting stuff going for it, but that climax starts, and I knew 100% that's what I wanted.

This is my exact opinion about Evidence. The speed with which it transitions from "Oh so they're doing the Bigfoot bit from Scare Tactics" to an unholy feverish nightmare is incredible, and once it gets going it doesn't let up.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Literally The Worst posted:

This is my exact opinion about Evidence. The speed with which it transitions from "Oh so they're doing the Bigfoot bit from Scare Tactics" to an unholy feverish nightmare is incredible, and once it gets going it doesn't let up.

It was mind blowing the first time I watched it. It just slams into a whole other gear and takes off with no looking back. I absolutely loved it. Evidence (2011) and Lake Mungo are the top two recommends I've received out of this thread.

Edit: Added the year on Evidence, since there are two separate ones.
\/\/\/Good call, thanks.\/\/\/

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 15, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You gotta clarify that you're talking about Evidence (2011) and not Evidence (2013).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

You gotta clarify that you're talking about Evidence (2011) and not Evidence (2013).

Just like how it's Detention (2011) and not Detention (2010).