Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Cool. Will read this.

Is Dominions 4 on Steam yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Yeah, if Mictlan is in the game:

1.hope you aren't next to Mictlan
2.then kill Mictlan.

Kanthulhu posted:

Is Dominions 4 on Steam yet?

Yes.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, if Mictlan is in the game:

1.hope you aren't next to Mictlan
2.then kill Mictlan.

Yes.

Alternatively:

1. Have quality sacreds
2. Start next to mictlan
3. Rush before critical jaguar mass.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Mictlans Ain't poo poo

Turn 6: Raspberry Swirl

Oh. Since the barbarians didn't have any living commanders left, they routed on turn 1. MY BAD

As expected.

This turn, our first priest arrived in our capital! Let's see the cool things he can do!

Reanimating ghouls kill population but creates some pretty fantastic troops for Lanka, high HP bandar ghouls called pisacha. Soulless are zombies, and require fresh corpses, which we don't have in our capital. Longdead are skeletons, which we have a pretty good selection of. He's going to make skeletons, probably forever. It's always nice to have some skeletons you can pull out of your rear end when you need to. Unfortunately we've only had the gold for 2, more will have to wait until we get the money to build another temple, since our palisade will be finished next turn and it's not worth it to recruit an independent priest over one of our raktapata. Indie priests can be recruited without a fort in the province, and are slightly cheaper than raktapata.

Not a whole lot going on otherwise! our second expansion army is moving to Stone Heavens, and from there they'll probably go west or north or some combination of the two. I'd like to curtain off as much territory as I can here, preferably without clashing with any of the other players just yet.

However, there's one neat thing I can point out! We found our first magic site this turn!

This was in that province our first expansion army got wiped out in. 1 water gem per turn isn't really a big deal, but maybe we'll make use of it. Lanka doesn't actually have any native water magic access so more than likely they'll just be traded away at some point.

We only have 7 provinces, and it's already turn 6. Our expansion has not exactly been good, or competent, at all. It's worse than average, even for me. Generally, if you can't manage 15 provinces by the start of year 2, you've hosed up. My first test game as Lanka, just to make sure I COULD expand well, was 30 provinces at the start of year 2 with an okay starting position, and my best in an actual game(not as Lanka) was around 25, maybe a little more. We're definitely not going to get that many.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 13, 2014

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ChickenWing posted:

Alternatively:

1. Have quality sacreds
2. Start next to mictlan
3. Rush before critical jaguar mass.

I dunno man, jaguar critical mass can be like two turns of jags if they're lucky.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Jags arent, on their own, better than many other sacreds. It's the fact that they take jack for resources and can be recruited from ANY fort that really matters, since most great sacreds are capital-only.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

having a were-form also helps matters

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

having a were-form also helps matters

IIRC having a were-form is the most important part - the actual jag warrior isn't the good unit, the werejaguar with the bite claw claw and improved stats is.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right, jags that are being jag warriors are a reasonable unit unblessed but nothing special. Would not buy for 25g.

Jags with a massively more dangerous second form, horrible to face.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

IIRC having a were-form is the most important part - the actual jag warrior isn't the good unit, the werejaguar with the bite claw claw and improved stats is.

I Love You! posted:

Jags arent, on their own, better than many other sacreds. It's the fact that they take jack for resources and can be recruited from ANY fort that really matters, since most great sacreds are capital-only.

I would say it's both. Strong blesses are a free force multiplier, for example troops has x0.6 more value with a high blood bless, we can imagine. If you apply that multiplier to 10 holy troops, it's as you win 10x0.6=6 more troops, or said 10 soldiers perform as 16 normal soldiers. Apply it to 100 troops and it's 60 "free troops". Having were-form makes it the value apply twice, one in each life, and being recruited in any fort makes it easy to recruit 5 or 6 times more holy troops than other nations.

A normal nation could recruit let's say 50 holy soldiers in x tuns. gross advantage with a bless = 30 more "value", they will fight as if they were an army of 80.
Mictlan can recruit 250 holy soldiers in the same amount of turns. Double life in each combat where the bless is applied in each: 250x2=500. Gross advantage gained with a bless = 300, so 250 base + 300 "bless value" = 550.
As you can see, using the same points in a pretender build to get a bless can be made the most with a bless-favored nation like Mictlan, up to 10x of difference (30 vs 300)

Holy troops that are cheap x recruit in several forts x blesses are a force multiplier = all is multiplied.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
There are some diminishing factors to take into account for the jags. They've not simply recruited ten times as many troops as the opponent. They've recruited ten times as many sacred units. Likely a very similar amount of total troops. The comparison of 800 versus 80 isn't quite as fair as maybe 180 versus 800 would be. Although I don't really agree that a jag is free double bonus unit. They're undercosted for their power but perhaps not on the scale of 100% undercosted. Some other units are nearly as good like the vanheim shifter wolves. So perhaps a comparison of 100 jags against 100 of these shifters. The jags get blessed and that's a force multiplier and 160 is still greater than 100. Jags absolutely rip weaker units to shreds to the point where one advantage of the Jags becomes spreading them thin over many provinces because they can rip an arbitrary number of these weak armies to shreds all at once.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was comparing holy vs holy troops. Instead of 50 vs 250, consider it 3 vs 15, a more real world case, the ratio is still the same. In any case it's a very gross comparison yeah, mainly because recruiting 15 troops instead of 3 usually is going to be five times more expensive, a datapoint I willfully ignored :P.

The point is really how well you can amortize the pretender points invested in bless. You may spend up 100 points in it in the Pretender creation, so what how many troops affect that bless, and how many times is applied in combat is important, it's not the same 10 than 100 than 1000 troops.

If I was Illwinter, I would increase the Jags price, not a lot, just 2-3 gold. Which seems little, but given that Mictlan players recruit them by hundreds in a game, it would accumulate over time.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Jaguars are really really good if you can prevent them from getting shot at, I'd use them even if they weren't sacred/without a bless(but the way I prefer my scales I always have enough points for a major bless if I want)

Turn 7: Crystalline Green

Battles first!

I have nothing witty to say.

Perfect.

These are our plans for this turn. Moving from Lanka is our 4th expansion force, made up of another Kala-Mukha leading the last of our Palankasha. Our 3rd is attacking Comsath from Stone Heavens, set to hold at the very back of the battlefield, hopefully safe from arrow fire, while the Kala-Muka blesses our Palankasha.

We now have our 2nd fort. Forts are incredibly important, they allow us to recruit our national units from any province that has one, and they draw resources from surrounding provinces so we can mass troops more easily in them. Let's see what we can recruit out of it.

Everything that isn't a demon, along with the independent troops that were in the province(a generic commander and priest on the far right of the commanders section, and those 3 units on the far right of the units section). Most of these we won't be bothering with, the most important part of having another fort for us is to recruit more Raktapata for research and, soon, blood hunting. I'd like to get another palisade or two started by the end of this year, hitting critical monkey mass is important.

Our pretender and Government Gets Girlfriends' forces' orders are unchanged. I'm certain that Yomi is where I suspected it would be, now. Why?

When your dominion borders another pretender's dominion, you can see their scales. Who else but Yomi would be taking turmoil/death/luck/magic like us?

We can also take a look at Mictlan's suspected capital this way.

Order, sloth, heat, growth. Definitely Mictlan's capital. With scales like that, they probably didn't take 2 major blesses like I feared. Probably a single major and a minor, we'll have to wait for better intel but we can find out what sort of magic paths their pretender has taken already through one of the statistics screens that lists all the pretenders and their nations.

Keeper of the Celestial Records is definitely an astral epithet, and I'm not sure about King of this World or the Morning Star or Jaguar King but I'm quite sure that at least one of them is blood-related(although they could all just be due to his pretender's high dominion score).

Guessing right now, I would say they took blood 9 and astral 6 on their pretender, which is all to cast a single specific spell, late in the blood magic section.

Astral corruption is one of the more powerful global spells in the game. It nearly completely halts the forging of all non-blood magic items and casting of all non-blood magic rituals, and is generally a gigantic KILL ME sign when cast. Horrors are strange alien beings from another dimension that are attracted to powerful mages/magic items. There are several spells that involve them. The biggest one, which Mictlan has easy access to and that is usually used in conjunction with Astral Corruption, is this one.

Send Horror requires magic paths that Mictlan has easy access(astral 4, blood 3) to through one of their capital-only mages(one that isn't slow to recruit, though) and, in conjunction with Astral Corruption, tends to send some incredibly powerful horrors at armies. Additionally, you can have several mages casting it at an enemy army and the horrors will all arrive at once and sometimes fight alongside eachother(othertimes, they all kill one another).

There are two types of spells. Combat spells, and rituals. Rituals require the usage of a mage's entire turn outside of combat to cast a single spell, while combat spells are just on a turn-by-turn basis in battle. We'll go over them in a little more depth later.

Mictlan is played by Lprsti99. I've been in a few games with him, and he didn't do particularly well in either. I'm not super worried about him long term, but I do want to kill him within the first few years of the game.

We now have 2 priests sitting in our capital reanimating monkey skeletons, and another fort to recruit bloody monkey mage priests out of. Our research will slowly ramp up as we mass monkey mages, and then we'll finally get around to doing some blood stuff. Let's take a look at the research screen.

We are currently research evocation. I want to get up to evocation 3, as it has some neat spells we can make use of, like lightning bolt(direct damage, highly accurate, all of our Raksharaja can cast it) and sleep cloud(an amazing early spell our Yogini can make great use of, if we get enough together).

It takes 50 points for level 1 in a magic school, then 100, then 200, then 400, then 700, etc etc up until 9, which is where it ends. If we right click on one of the schools, we can see what sorts of spells we get out of it:

There are quite a lot of spells, nearly 1000 I think? Being able to make the best of the magic paths your nation has access to and adapting to whatever spells your opponent is using(and preemptively defending yourself against spells they might use) is the most important part of dominions 4. Magic is everything.

garth ferengi fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 14, 2014

namad
Nov 7, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I was comparing holy vs holy troops. Instead of 50 vs 250, consider it 3 vs 15, a more real world case, the ratio is still the same. In any case it's a very gross comparison yeah, mainly because recruiting 15 troops instead of 3 usually is going to be five times more expensive, a datapoint I willfully ignored :P.

The point is really how well you can amortize the pretender points invested in bless. You may spend up 100 points in it in the Pretender creation, so what how many troops affect that bless, and how many times is applied in combat is important, it's not the same 10 than 100 than 1000 troops.

If I was Illwinter, I would increase the Jags price, not a lot, just 2-3 gold. Which seems little, but given that Mictlan players recruit them by hundreds in a game, it would accumulate over time.

Back in dominions 3 I actually considered mictlan to...well...sort of... suck. They did awful in every game I was in in which they were chosen. The mages were just too weak for late game victory. Yes they won their first war almost every single time, but then usually lost their second war as their poor scales and weak magical options caught up to them. Now in dominions 4 where a lot of things are slow to recruit... and there are 108 other changes too, mictlan may or may not be as OP as they seem. I'm curious to see how they face up to their neighbors in this game. Lanka has some pretty solid troops of their own.

tl;dr. Jags might be the best troop in the game, but they aren't the best troop in the game by that huge of a margin.

namad fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 14, 2014

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

namad posted:

Back in dominions 3 I actually considered mictlan to...well...sort of... suck. They did awful in every game I was in in which they were chosen. The mages were just too weak for late game victory. Yes they won their first war almost every single time, but then usually lost their second war as their poor scales and weak magical options caught up to them. Now in dominions 4 where a lot of things are slow to recruit... and there are 108 other changes too, mictlan may or may not be as OP as they seem. I'm curious to see how they face up to their neighbors in this game. Lanka has some pretty solid troops of their own.

tl;dr. Jags might be the best troop in the game, but they aren't the best troop in the game by that huge of a margin.

Their mages are/were fine. With blood communions they had access to plenty of fire (and ice) power, and blood had plenty of spells for killing stuff. Main problem, as you say, was that they might not have enough handy to compete with other nations because of their scales and cap/only limitations, but that isn't a game breaker. I've killed them (and been killed as them) enough to know they aren't completely overpowered, but I wouldn't say they're very weak due to their mages.

Also, with scales like that, you should be careful, garth. The LP curse is more likely to strike in turmoil or death dominion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mictlan is fairly strong in every age. in a game where a nation's quality can vary wildly from age to age that's pretty good.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mictlan is extremely powerful and the main reason that I see it not due well is people dogpiling them because of it. Micltan is a lot easier to kill when they only have one fort cranking out sacreds and don't yet have a blood econ.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I gotta say modpud this is making me want to buy this and waste hours of my life getting mad as I struggle to figure out how the game works while proclaiming I am indeed having fun.

Kinda like I do with DF.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Gridlocked posted:

I gotta say modpud this is making me want to buy this and waste hours of my life getting mad as I struggle to figure out how the game works while proclaiming I am indeed having fun.

Kinda like I do with DF.

Except with an even longer feedback loop when you screw up!
I am also tempted to get dom 4 (Birdmaens for life!)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Veloxyll posted:

Except with an even longer feedback loop when you screw up!
I am also tempted to get dom 4 (Birdmaens for life!)

Well thanks to these LP's I have learnt Bloodbowl in the last week and a half; have started a rather fun succession campaign with 2 friends in CK2 and am learning EU4 so we can export it and continue our game there.

DOM4 will be next on the list at this rate. Soon I will need to venture into the scary part of the internet known as IRC to meet other Goons to play these various games with.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I'm going to take a guess and say that Kidney Stone Depository is a fountain of blood pretender.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

namad posted:

Yeah, eagle warriors have them beat in terms of overall value imo

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gridlocked posted:

Kinda like I do with DF.

dom4 is pretty much the dwarf fortress of 4x games but toady somehow manages to make more sense than illwinter with what he does

go figure

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

dom4 is pretty much the dwarf fortress of 4x games but toady somehow manages to make more sense than illwinter with what he does

go figure

Sadly this does not improve my confidence in my ability to learn it.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Sadly this does not improve my confidence in my ability to learn it.

Well unlike DF it's actually a game.

Ho ho.

(It's not that hard to learn it's hard to figure out what all the spells and poo poo do and how to do WELL, come on people)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

and it's a better 4X game than say, MOO3 :D

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

and it's a better 4X game than say, MOO3 :D

Used Toilet paper manager retail chain: The game would be better than MOO3.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

namad posted:

I haven't played Dom3, but from 3 to 4 they slowed down the research pace from mid game onwards right? That makes normal armies (with Jags) more powerful than mages at least for a while, in comparison. If you play your cards right the game will be decided before late game. And hell, in Dom4 the late game is different and sooner than in Dom3, because people win with Thrones.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah, eagle warriors have them beat in terms of overall value imo

Eagle warriors are noticably less effective if they don't have a frontline of jags to engage the enemy frontline before they fly over and start murdering all the commanders. EA Mictlan just has some really good synergy with its sacreds.

Also a note about Moon Priests and Send Horror: Moon Priests start at Astral 2 Blood 2 and thus require boosting Astral by 2 and Blood by 1, boosting Astral by 1 and Blood by 1 is easy but the second Astral boost requires access to an Astral 2 Earth 2 guy to make Crystal Coins or significant item cost investment in Rings of Sorcery or Robes of the Magi. While there are indies who can reach E2S2 without empowering they are fairly uncommon and Mictlan has no native access to Earth which means they can't Send Horror without using substantial amounts of resources to do so.
That said, based on the pretender name, scales and titles I wouldn't be surprised if his pretender has E2 for coins. Given that he appears to have gone for an Astral Corruption endgame goal I would assume that is indeed the case as going for an AC endgame as EA Mictlan without Crystal Coin access is a huge pain in the butt.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Frankly, I am a big fan of having a B minor on Scales Mictlan. Jags occassionally struggle against very heavily armed troops, and a B minor is a nice low Budget solution to this.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Eagle warriors are noticably less effective if they don't have a frontline of jags to engage the enemy frontline before they fly over and start murdering all the commanders. EA Mictlan just has some really good synergy with its sacreds.

With the right bless, once you reach critical mass you don't need anything else. F9W9 eagles are multi-attacking death machines. You either have to storm/wipe the field with battlefield evos on round 1 defensively or get absolutely wrecked when the eagles come in and just kill everything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nuclearmonkee posted:

With the right bless, once you reach critical mass you don't need anything else. F9W9 eagles are multi-attacking death machines. You either have to storm/wipe the field with battlefield evos on round 1 defensively or get absolutely wrecked when the eagles come in and just kill everything.

Perpetual Storm is your friend then?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Jags are less useful in the LA due to everyone and their grandma running around in full plate and crossbows. Sadly, Mictlan didn't upgrade their weapons to compensate.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Perpetual Storm is your friend then?
Or just something like three turn one Earthquakes, which has a very solid chance to clear a critical mass of Eagle Warriors off the field to the point where a few maimed ones are going to crash into the frontline and get overcome pretty quickly.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The best way to fight off Mictlan is to use better sacreds, so always play Morrighan-bless Fomoria!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

amuayse posted:

Jags are less useful in the LA due to everyone and their grandma running around in full plate and crossbows. Sadly, Mictlan didn't upgrade their weapons to compensate.

They're still insane. You can reach late game in LA pretty much running off W9 bless for your jags. They are that good.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

AfroSquirrel posted:

The best way to fight off Mictlan is to use better sacreds, so always play Morrighan-bless Fomoria!

What's that?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Kanthulhu posted:

What's that?

Morrigans are a Fomorian national summon that are basically non-commander super thugs for 4d/per. They're dumb and stupid and ridiculously good.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
They're conj 6 to get them as permanent units though (I think there's a spell that lets you summon a couple temporarily in battle?) so they don't come into play until later.

But Fomoria is already so freaking good that having the amazingly awesome Morrigan is really just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Neruz posted:

They're conj 6 to get them as permanent units though (I think there's a spell that lets you summon a couple temporarily in battle?) so they don't come into play until later.

But Fomoria is already so freaking good that having the amazingly awesome Morrigan is really just icing on the cake.

Hitting conj6 is pretty easy on a nation that already rules and gets amazing skele/tstrike spam options.

• Locked thread