Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what should be done with the sea world orcas
keep them alive and tortured so that people can be entertained by them
they should be set free in nature where they will die
kill them
hmm...not sure op
View Results

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

coastal seaworlds should just hire a pod of wild orcas/dolphins to show up and do tricks for a meal and then swim off when they're done.

ohio could just use fat people in orca costumes because its ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

tranime scholar posted:

profiting from suffering is the most american thing there is. quit whining you commies

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
http://seaworld.com/truth/truth-about-blackfish/

Sea World's response. Yes it's PR but yeah Blackfish is also manipulative.

The truth is somewhere in the middle (SouthPark.txt)

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

lol this is like asking bp about solar power or some poo poo

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action, and filled with noble risks, is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

The Taint Reaper posted:

The park helps fund the animal hospital that exists below sea world.

Ah, Hell World Animal Clinic.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
whales are a bit poo poo tbh

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
whale apologists posting itt

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
shame op, poll but no death by goku option

v you can get more meat out of a whale

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 15, 2014

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
What makes a whale any more important than a chicken?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Amarcarts posted:

lol if yr a poor who doesnr get free range grass fed meet

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Amarcarts posted:

Literally everythg

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Sea World posted:

Conclusion :words:

All of the falsehoods and misleading techniques in Blackfish are employed in the service of the film’s obvious bias, one that is best revealed near the end of Blackfish by a neuroscientist with no known expertise in killer whales. She claims that all killer whales in captivity are “emotionally destroyed,” and “ticking time bombs.” These are not the words of science, and indeed, there is not a shred of scientific support for them. Rather, they are the words of animal rights activists whose agenda the film’s many falsehoods were designed to advance. They reveal “Blackfish” not as an objective documentary, but as propaganda.

Conclusion: We still keep big whale in small pool.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i didnt need a badly made documentary to know that sea world, zoos and so on are all terrible places that hate animals. go to a loving nature preserve and camp there without making GBS threads up the place if you want to see animals.

hopefully bears eat everyone itt

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

sweetmercifulcrap's profile posted:

SeaWorld employee spotted.

Here's a quick tip: there is no financial incentive for anyone to gently caress up SeaWorld's profits (except maybe a nearby rival amusement park or some poo poo?) but there is an incredibly massive financial incentive for SeaWorld to dispute the movie, HTH

Here's some facts about how seagulls love playing in crude oil brought to you by BP's website :lol:

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Melmac posted:

SeaWorld employee spotted.

Here's a quick tip: there is no financial incentive for anyone to gently caress up SeaWorld's profits (except maybe a nearby rival amusement park or some poo poo?) but there is an incredibly massive financial incentive for SeaWorld to dispute the movie, HTH

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say. How about getting as much publicity for your documentary as possible and then selling it to Amazon Prime, Netflix and putting it in red boxes across the country. Loads of people around the world saw it because of the controversy.

HTH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Ramsus posted:

That's an incredibly stupid thing to say. How about getting as much publicity for your documentary as possible and then selling it to Amazon Prime, Netflix and putting it in red boxes across the country. Loads of people around the world saw it because of the controversy.

HTH LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

You are correct. The highly lucrative documentary industry was far too much for Gabriela Cowperthwaite to resist. The entire premise of Blackfish; from the endless months filming, traveling, and editing, was not due to the determination to make this information public....it was all a ruse: a scam to make a whopping $2,000,000 USD to be split across 47 different people.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I am just breaking his balls but it is kinda funny that the only two people arguing for SeaWorld in this thread

a) have family members on the executive board at SeaWorld, Inc.

b) live in Orlando, Florida

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Melmac posted:

You are correct. The highly lucrative documentary industry was far too much for Gabriela Cowperthwaite to resist. The entire premise of Blackfish; from the endless months filming, traveling, and editing, was not due to the determination to make this information public....it was all a ruse: a scam to make a whopping $2,000,000 USD to be split across 47 different people.
I mean animal rights groups don't exactly have the best of track records when you consider PETA is among them. I dont think anyone would disagree that seaworld cares more about profit than animals but it really shouldn't be seen has foilhat conspiracy theory to point out that people making documentaries often have an agenda they want to push and can spend as much time and editing as they want to get the right quotes. I didn't watch the documentary but if seaworld is pointing out that the experts they called are actually experts in subjects completely unrelated to the topic and this is true, then yeah the documentary is pretty much propaganda on par with people who interview a PhD in christian history over the merits of evolution.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I like seaworld but then again I'm a Costner fan

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean animal rights groups don't exactly have the best of track records when you consider PETA is among them. I dont think anyone would disagree that seaworld cares more about profit than animals but it really shouldn't be seen has foilhat conspiracy theory to point out that people making documentaries often have an agenda they want to push and can spend as much time and editing as they want to get the right quotes. I didn't watch the documentary but if seaworld is pointing out that the experts they called are actually experts in subjects completely unrelated to the topic and this is true, then yeah the documentary is pretty much propaganda on par with people who interview a PhD in christian history over the merits of evolution.

PETA is trash even though I agree with their general premise (be decent to animals). PETA has a huge financial incentive to bullshit people though (membership fees, celebrity donations, etc.). Same goes for any animal shelter or children's adoption center where the owners make $750k a year. They're scum.

But claiming a documentary about SeaWorld as having some sort of underhanded agenda is pretty laffo.

And yes, every documentary ever made in film's history is about editing in the film's favor. I'm sure there were scenes filmed where the two guys in "I Think We're Alone Now" didn't look like complete loving lunatics but what exactly is the point of showing that?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Melmac posted:

I'm sure there were scenes filmed where the two guys in "I Think We're Alone Now" didn't look like complete loving lunatics

i honestly doubt this

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
In supersize me when that guy was sick after a Big Mac I thought that was a bit much. What kind of pussy is sick after a Big Mac

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Sega Saturn posted:

i honestly doubt this

There were deleted scenes of them sleeping.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Melmac posted:

PETA is trash even though I agree with their general premise (be decent to animals). PETA has a huge financial incentive to bullshit people though (membership fees, celebrity donations, etc.). Same goes for any animal shelter or children's adoption center where the owners make $750k a year. They're scum.

But claiming a documentary about SeaWorld as having some sort of underhanded agenda is pretty laffo.

And yes, every documentary ever made in film's history is about editing in the film's favor. I'm sure there were scenes filmed where the two guys in "I Think We're Alone Now" didn't look like complete loving lunatics but what exactly is the point of showing that?
Are you dense? The motives are obvious:
1. Making it more controversial will make it more popular, I've never heard about this documentary until this thread and had it simply been "actually seaworld aint that bad" I'm pretty sure I still would have never heard of it.
2. The people making it obviously have a thing for animal rights and a thing against animals in captivity, if their goal is to get seaworld to release the orcas then making seaworld look as bad as possible is an obvious means to that end. PETA releases tons of poo poo that directly attacks various companies not because they're looking to steal the customer base from KFC but because they're goal is to get people to not eat it.

I mean seaworld pointed out that some of the "experts" in the documentary are experts in fields completely unrelated to what they were being interviewed on. That's pretty much propaganda 101. When you see christian debates against evolution they always have a bunch of PhDs in fields completely unrelated to evolution talking as if they knew stuff they didn't because people see the "Dr." by someone's name and trust their authority in the subject. I would actually go so far as to say that literally any instance of this in a documentary should be reason enough to ignore the whole thing because it's clear they weren't even attempting to be objective to the topic.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

harsh, but fair

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I enjoy seeing mutli-million dollar companies try to spin their way out of their whole business model. I don't care if the Blackfish documentary was funded by vegan cis-male nazi furry autistic bronies, Sea World still houses animals in tiny enclosures that have killed multiple people and you can't PR your way out of that.

Orlando is a poo poo-hole btw, nobody willingly lives there.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
who the gently caress cares about orcas lol

just some big stupid mean fish

i hope all orcas DIE

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it was a SUPER SIZED man

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Are you dense? The motives are obvious:
1. Making it more controversial will make it more popular, I've never heard about this documentary until this thread and had it simply been "actually seaworld aint that bad"

Because then there'd be no point in bringing it to light/making a documentary about it?

ArbitraryC posted:

2. The people making it obviously have a thing for animal rights and a thing against animals in captivity, if their goal is to get seaworld to release the orcas then making seaworld look as bad as possible is an obvious means to that end.

Yeah...I never argued that? All I argued is that they have no financial incentive to gently caress SeaWorld. If we found out the movie was made by OceanGlobe Amusement Parks of Orlando, Florida then I'd say gently caress this movie and everyone involved in it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
It is both funny and sad that people consider poo poo like docugandas and the Daily Show as a way to gather information to formulate opinions.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Melmac posted:

Because then there'd be no point in bringing it to light/making a documentary about it?

Yeah...I never argued that? All I argued is that they have no financial incentive to gently caress SeaWorld. If we found out the movie was made by OceanGlobe Amusement Parks of Orlando, Florida then I'd say gently caress this movie and everyone involved in it.

How is it that you responded to both of those points with "of course" without realizing that they both provide clear and obvious incentive to paint seaworld in the worst light possible even if it involves disengenous methods?

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

How is it that you responded to both of those points with "of course" without realizing that they both provide clear and obvious incentive to paint seaworld in the worst light possible even if it involves disengenous methods?

Because :ralp:

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

concerned mom posted:

I like seaworld but then again I'm a Costner fan

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i guess if you can't refute what the documentary actually claims then make noise about its motives. works for climate change denialists.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Copley Depot posted:

i guess if you can't refute what the documentary actually claims then make noise about its motives. works for climate change denialists.

Al Gore only made that piece of liberal trash to sell Blockbuster Video subscriptions and cuz he bought stock in LED light bulbs!!!! You f*ckin bitch!!!!

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

BigBoss posted:

It is both funny and sad that people consider poo poo like docugandas and the Daily Show as a way to gather information to formulate opinions.

I agree, corporate PR is a far more reasonable way to get our information

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Melmac posted:

Al Gore only made that piece of liberal trash to sell Blockbuster Video subscriptions and cuz he bought stock in LED light bulbs!!!! You f*ckin bitch!!!!

"F*ckin bitch" got me good lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Copley Depot posted:

Pointing out that their "experts" were experts in fields other than what they were commenting on is pretty cut and dry and if true makes the entire documentary suspect of not being very legitimate.

• Locked thread