Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Cenodoxus posted:

What part of my post ever said it absolves the officer of anything? I just said it adds some credibility to the PD's claim that Brown was combative/there was a violent struggle, and it removes some credibility from the Brown side.

Removes some credibility from Brown's side? I'll bite: what about this makes the reports of 3 eyewitnesses who tell the same story less credible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

thefncrow posted:

Removes some credibility from Brown's side? I'll bite: what about this makes the reports of 3 eyewitnesses who tell the same story less credible?

Physical evidence. Also witness testimony (and I wont even touch the "theyre telling the same story" because you are in crazyland) is the lowest form of evidence for anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

thefncrow posted:

Well one of them is also a swisher's theft so automatically he lies about everything.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

swiss_army_chainsaw posted:

What about these allegations that the person on the security tape might not even be Michael Brown?

Pretty goddamn laughable seeing how the clothing are identical alongside his friend fully admitting that Michael did take the 'swishers' or whatever they're called.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Physical evidence.

What physical evidence are you referring to? Because the police haven't released any physical evidence about the shooting.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
If Brown is in the video, then does that mean his friend walking with him when the shooting happened would have also been in the video? He's the one who can confirm what happened, if it was them in the video, yes?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Oh god no, here comes 20 pages of people arguing over the definition of "kid"!

"Black people grow up faster than whites"

- a racist

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

FourLeaf posted:

If Brown is in the video, then does that mean his friend walking with him when the shooting happened would have also been in the video? He's the one who can confirm what happened, if it was them in the video, yes?

Yes. It's him and Brown. At this point it shouldn't even be a question anymore.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

What physical evidence are you referring to? Because the police haven't released any physical evidence about the shooting.

He believes Brown struggled with the officer in the car possibly actually firing off rounds before fleeing pretending to be non-threatening.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

FourLeaf posted:

It was already posted earlier that it was confirmed to be him and they admitted to taking the cigars through the attorney statement to police.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

edit: I believe Brown's friend will clear up a lot of misinformation if he was willing to supposedly admit to being involved.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

Read his avatar, if FYAD kicks you out you are likely a nazi.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Physical evidence.

Physical evidence of what? His claim was that the robbery made the story of 3 eyewitnesses less credible. So again, I ask, how does the robbery story, specifically, reduce the credibility of 3 eyewitnesses who report the same story? And if you can work in how "physical evidence" is an element of this, I'd love to hear it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

thefncrow posted:

Eyewitnesses have varying levels of credibility. For instance, I would consider Brown's friend to be less credible than, say, someone across the street. But I'm not talking about the credibility of the witnesses. My statement about "removes credibility" was referring to the narrative that Brown was incapable of violence.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Cenodoxus posted:

Eyewitnesses have varying levels of credibility. For instance, I would consider Brown's friend to be less credible than, say, someone across the street. But I'm not talking about the credibility of the witnesses. My statement about "removes credibility" was referring to the narrative that Brown was incapable of violence.

thefncrow posted:

His claim was that the robbery made the story of 3 eyewitnesses less credible.

That was not my claim, see above. ^^^

e: poo poo, quote instead of edit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Untagged posted:

It was already posted earlier that it was confirmed to be him and they admitted to taking the cigars through the attorney statement to police.

Just to be clear, "they" couldn't have admitted poo poo because one of the two of them is dead. It matters since part of the problem is we will never get to hear Mike Brown's side of the story.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

FourLeaf posted:

Yes. And all those things happened, and were confirmed in statements by the witness to the FBI. And none of them have anything to do with unloading a clip on an unarmed citizen in broad daylight, or in going wild with the teargas and rubber bullets on the protest afterward.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

SectumSempra posted:

So the video is entirely an attempt to downplay causing a riot and trying to rationalize the cops actions?
But then having a press conference to show, he just did a hidden good deed but entirely hosed up and the guy who got killed was a bad bad man, he pushed someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0FpMgurltk

Incidentally, I'm seeing conflicting reports now on the timeline, that the shooting was just after noon, and another shots fired incident - not the one that killed Brown - happened just after 2pm. This could explain the confusion.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

swiss_army_chainsaw posted:

What about these allegations that the person on the security tape might not even be Michael Brown?

Unlikely, Brown's friend/accomplice admitted it was them.

Physical evidence. Also witness testimony (and I wont even touch the "theyre telling the same story" because you are in crazyland) is the lowest form of evidence for anything.

A black teen in posession of a swisher is not exactly uh compelling evidence of a robbery.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If Brown's actions were sufficient cause for shooting him in the back as he ran, then Halloween Horror Nights Orlando would be a bloodbath every night. We literally have nightly incidents of assault and battery, including fighting the cops who pull security.

Somehow we've avoided any deaths. Imagine that, we don't need to kill every rear end in a top hat who punches a dude!

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Even though the whole interaction is on video we still got the "make whatever I want up the NARRATIVE needs to be maintained no matter what" crowd is unfazed.

The video on can just showed the altercation but watching the whole thing on YouTube it appears the bodega keeps the Swisher right on the counter

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Cenodoxus posted:

I dunno matey.

The three independant witnesses who are saying he was shot down like a dog in the street with his hand up are pushing a narrative?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Yes. And all those things happened, and were confirmed in statements by the witness to the FBI. And none of them have anything to do with unloading a clip on an unarmed citizen in broad daylight, or in going wild with the teargas and rubber bullets on the protest afterward.

Which would be the store clerk?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Any competent prosecutor ought to be able to get any mention of the robbery banned from being mentioned to the jury, for the record.

Michael Arlowe
Feb 19, 2011

and your a little faggot that has no friends , you retarded mushroom

thefncrow posted:

When the reports were made matters. If these other eyewitnesses came forward after the rioting and other nasty business, it's very likely that their stories are less reliable; people tend to fill in the gaps in their memory with what they think happened rather than what actually happened. Not that I would discount an eyewitness's testimony offhand because of that alone, which is why I'm not arguing that the cop is 100% blameless.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

evilweasel posted:

Any competent prosecutor ought to be able to get any mention of the robbery banned from being mentioned to the jury, for the record.

No poo poo Sherlock. That isn't even an issue unless you are a racist.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

Berke Negri posted:

The video on can just showed the altercation but watching the whole thing on YouTube it appears the bodega keeps the Swisher right on the counter

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Unlikely, Brown's friend/accomplice admitted it was them.

A black teen in posession of a swisher is not exactly uh compelling evidence of a robbery.

thefncrow posted:

Physical evidence of what? His claim was that the robbery made the story of 3 eyewitnesses less credible. So again, I ask, how does the robbery story, specifically, reduce the credibility of 3 eyewitnesses who report the same story? And if you can work in how "physical evidence" is an element of this, I'd love to hear it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

And now that we have the officer's name, so it begins: http://colorlines.com/archives/2014/08/officer_darren_wilson_to_young_woman_shut_the_f_up_sit_the_f_down.html

quote:

Woman: I was maced and I had come up to QuickTrip because they said I could use their sink. So I was trying to clean out my eyes with some water and one of the employees told me to go get some milk, because that would help. So as I was pouring milk in my eyes, the officers had come in and told me to get out.

Lemon: When was this?

Woman: This was like a month ago. I came outside and I was trying to pour milk in my eyes and Wilson told me if I poured milk in my eyes, I was going to be arrested. And I was trying to tell him that my eyes were burning because I was maced, but he told me to 'Shut the F up.' So, another man told me to get in my car and turn the air and put my face in front of the vents, so that's what I did.

Lemon: So were you arrested? What happened?

Woman: No, I wasn't arrested. When I got in my car and turned the air on and put my face in front of the vent. Wilson made me get out of the car and sit on the concrete and he took all my information and ran my name. And I was still trying to pour the milk in my eyes because I couldn't see, and he's telling me to 'shut the F up' and 'sit the f down' and I was looking at his name tag and I was telling myself that I would never forget who he was and what he did to me. And I prayed on it and I asked God to get revenge on him and I'm sorry this is the way it happened, but what's done in the dark always come to the light, and I saw the news this morning—

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Trabisnikof posted:

Just to be clear, "they" couldn't have admitted poo poo because one of the two of them is dead. It matters since part of the problem is we will never get to hear Mike Brown's side of the story.

Don't know if you realize what that word means in the context of one person speaking for a group.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spacman posted:

No poo poo Sherlock.

You'd think, but people keep posting like they think that clip can be played at the trial. It's obviously not relevant (after all the police themselves said it wasn't) and prejudicial. Jury's not going to see it.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Evil_Greven posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0FpMgurltk

Incidentally, I'm seeing conflicting reports now on the timeline, that the shooting was just after noon, and another shots fired incident - not the one that killed Brown - happened just after 2pm. This could explain the confusion.

I've wondered this as well. The Wikipedia article has conflicting times - one says 12:01, another says shortly after 2:00. I would love to know the true timeline. It's easier to link the two when they're only a few minutes apart, and harder to link things together when you've got a span of at least 2 hours.

Given that the PD came out and said that the officer wasn't responding to the robbery when he came across them, I'm guessing it was 2:00.

Cenodoxus fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 15, 2014

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

evilweasel posted:

It seems like competence has been on vacation for a while.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slo-Tek posted:

I don't think you understand, it's all ok. He stole some cigarettes and was stopped in a completely unrelated instance of, I hope young and old readers are sitting down, JAYWALKING. So the killing of an unarmed man, shooting unarmed people with rubber bullets, attacking and arresting the press, and firing tear gas into peaceful neighborhoods and protestors is all justified.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Untagged posted:

People in this thread keep mixing up two different police departments.

For the record, I'm aware of the situation and was being intentionally obtuse. I'm from St. Louis (Metro East) and the greater St. Louis area is a stupid mess of small towns that shouldn't be and white people preventing them from being one thing. Also, I want better recording to keep cops safe too. I'm lucky that my dad always came home.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/7im/timelines/499639344613695488

e: this is admissible hearsay evidence, no? present sense impression

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
And ultimately in the eyes of the law, isn't is illegal to escalate violence?

Which is to say that it seems unanimous that Brown was unarmed, and clearly so. Even if Brown took a swing at the officer - and that's a stretch - that's still very, very clearly non-lethal force, especially when combined with him attempting to flee, and then attempting to surrender. The officer could have responded with non-lethal force, pepper spray, a taser, whatever - but going straight for a sidearm and then continuing to apply lethal force after a suspect has surrendered is murder. There's no two ways about it.

If someone takes a swing at you on the street, in most places you have a right to defend yourself in kind. But if you pull a knife, you are now guilty of assault due to escalating the situation to lethal force. If the dude who tried to punch you responds to your drawing of a weapon by doing so himself he's actually justified because you're now committing a more serious crime than him, even though he 'started it.'

The point here being is that we're applying some double-standard here because a cop is involved. If this was a case of two random strangers getting into a fistfight and one of them drawing a weapon and killing the other after he surrendered there would be no question about it - murder in the 2nd. But since it is a cop who did the slaying, we're all worried about heat-of-the-moment and didn't-mean-to and not-actually-murder.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I wonder how much Nixon is making GBS threads down this chief's throat right now. His national ambitions (however plausible to begin with) are basically on hold until he can get some heads.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

evilweasel posted:

You'd think, but people keep posting like they think that clip can be played at the trial. It's obviously not relevant (after all the police themselves said it wasn't) and prejudicial. Jury's not going to see it.

Yeah, no poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SectumSempra posted:

It seems like competence has been on vacation for a while.

The FBI and federal prosecutors get involved if they think the locals are covering this up (and given the local prosecutor has been complaining about the replacement of the local police, that is a real issue), and they do not like to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

https://twitter.com/7im/timelines/499639344613695488

e: this is admissible hearsay evidence, no? present sense impression

holy gently caress

quote:

@SLIKK_DARKO the first two was, the next 5 werent, he turned around

• Locked thread