Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Malloreon posted:

Is he really saying "Who will be MY greater and richer fool to buy into this ponzi scheme after me?"
im digging the "i bought on the dips like you all said i should and im still in the red! how is that even possible!?!?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

FMguru posted:

i bought on the dips like you all said and im still in the red!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Robawesome posted:

Nick something? Szabko?

Adam something. apparently his bitcoin-related-startup cofounder got questioned by the FBI during the Silk Road aftermath because they thought he had an inside connection to ~~*SATOSHI*~~, too. I'm at about 50% credulity.

it would be so bad for the bitcoinerati if Satoshi actually surfaced. amusing for the rest of us, though.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggB0Wh_g33M

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 16, 2014

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i would pee myself if satoshi has been working with the nsa/irs this whole time

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sweevo posted:

my science teacher spent ages explaining how different metals expand at different rates, then put a bimetalic strip in a flame and asked why it bent, and the class dipship put her hand up and said it was because the smoke was pushing up against one side

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Satoshi Nakamoto's Autobiography! First! Give me a Prize Satoshi Please!!!! August 12, 2014
By Louis Capra
Verified Purchase
Let me start by making a couple disclosures. I am a huge supporter of Bitcoin - and have been infatuated with Satoshi Nakamoto from the day I first read about him and his decision to remain an anonymous multi-mllionare (and perhaps one day a billionare or trillonare!).

When I stumbled across this book, the description left me intrigued. Huh? What is this? The author is a Bitcoin address? I haven't seen that before. Maybe this is worth a read - after all - I have read just about everything else out there on Bitcoin.

I was hooked from the opening prologue of this book (being a fan of videogames myself), by the Zork reference (that simultaneously poked fun at the Newsweek reporter who supposedly outed Satoshi's real identity in the process).

Then came the big bang - as Chapter 1 boldy opens in the first paragraph with: "My name is Satoshi Nakamoto, although that has not always been my name."

Wow! The first read was over quickly - and now I am on my second.

The premise of this book is simple. After debunking the theory that he is Dorian Nakamoto (funny how he does it), Satoshi tells us that he is revealing his identity to the world in the book - once and for all. (No, I will not spoil it nor will there be any in this review). And, I have to tell you, if this really isn't Satoshi Nakamoto - I want the author to be Satoshi Nakamoto - because he is as cool as I have ever imagined him: hacker - videogame player - inventor - rebel genius.

Satoshi leads us through his origin story - from early days spent with a conspiracy loving Grandmother who took him to bingo halls (bingo serving an important role in the origin of Bitcoin) - to years of rebellion as an anonymous hacker and videogame savant. Read more ›

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
i am satoshi sorry for holding out on you guys anyone want some anonymous no-fee internet money i have like a million moneys

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

hacker - videogame player - inventor - rebel genius.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

videogame savant
ulillillia?!??!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chocobo posted:

i am satoshi sorry for holding out on you guys anyone want some anonymous no-fee internet money i have like a million moneys

Satoshi selling his ur-bitcoins and crashing the market? the perfect ending, imho. iykwimaytyd.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Chocobo posted:

hi satoshi can we dump ice water on your head for als research?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

theflyingexecutive posted:

i would pee myself

sam-oh you said would nvm

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i'm the half second cuts

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RevusRangerous posted:

What's the difference between uncertainty and doubt? I'm sure there's a mathematical distinction but this phrase is used in the context of human emotions. Why isn't it just fear and doubt? FAD

uncertainty about the future/present of products, doubt about anything the company or its supporters say

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

quite awhile ago there was a truck posted here that had a barrel thing on the back i think? does anyone know what it was?

i think it may have had something to do with a gas distillery or something

unrelated:

Boxturret fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 16, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

As hilarious as it all is, I'll never forget I knew about bitcoins when they cost ~$1 and if I had just thrown in $20 for the gently caress of it I could have potentially made enough to buy a car. They were dumb as gently caress then and they are still dumb as gently caress now, but there are enough dumb as gently caress people in the world that I should have known they could be exploited for a decent return.

Robawesome posted:

I didn't learn about bitcoins until they were already $800 or something, then $300 a couple weeks later. I could never "invest" now but the technology is neat and if I had known about Bitcoins when that guy spent 10,000 of them on two Dominos pizzas I probably would have thrown in $10 as a joke as well. It's just as likely you'd have stored your coins on Gox and lost them when they folded.

Subjunctive posted:

I mined ~150 bitcoins early on (pre-GPU) because a friend was into them, had no idea what to do with them, gave them to said friend. He bought me a (very) nice dinner at least; if I wasn't fortunate in other aspects of my life I'd probably be a little bitter.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

tbh it's not that shameful to have hosed around with bitcoins back when nobody had ever heard of them

it really wasn't until the libertarians and ancaps and poo poo started arriving on the scene when it started to get shameful to gently caress with them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus4994 posted:

tbh it's not that shameful to have hosed around with bitcoins back when nobody had ever heard of them

it really wasn't until the libertarians and ancaps and poo poo started arriving on the scene when it started to get shameful to gently caress with them
back in the day you wouldn't have spent money to pay for them, you'd have just started up a cpu/gpu miner

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Hello I have the future of the internet..

Imagine the internet, but with bitcoin

quote:

DNSChain (formerly DNSNMC) makes it possible to be certain that you're communicating with who you want to communicate with, and connecting to the sites that you want to connect to, without anyone secretly listening in on your conversations in between.

quote:

X.509 PKI makes and breaks today's Internet security. It's what makes your browser think "The connection to this website is secure" when it's not. It's what we have to get rid of, and DNSChain provides a scalable, distributed, and decentralized replacement that doesn't depend on untrustworthy "authority figures"

What advantages does this give us? I'm glad you ask.

Look at all those things.

The future is here.
DNSChain

https://github.com/okTurtles/dnschain#DNSChain

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
has anyone said bust butt august?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

UNDER 600 LINES OF RAW COFFEE SCRIPT

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Banzai 3 posted:

has anyone said bust butt august?
no because the actual term they used was boom august

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the boom was the rocket exploding on the way to the moon

so many dead buttnaughts :(

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Damiya posted:

X.509 PKI makes and breaks today's Internet security. It's what makes your browser think "The connection to this website is secure" when it's not. It's what we have to get rid of, and DNSChain provides a scalable, distributed, and decentralized replacement that doesn't depend on untrustworthy "authority figures"
lol

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

chris elliot did not age well

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Boxturret posted:

buttnaughts

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Boxturret posted:

UNDER 600 LINES OF RAW COFFEE SCRIPT

the rawest coffeescript u ever seen

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i mean seriously how goddamn arrogant do you have to be to assume that knowing how a toaster toasts toast is a point of superiority for you over other people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVxOb8-d7Ic

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

that last line explains my posting

(also dara o'briain is loving awesome)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Same Great Paste posted:

something something boom august

that is just one of the basic principles of animation. the price can't simply shoot up, it would look unnatural. it has to go down a bit first so the audience can better anticipate the following rise.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
http://youtu.be/54Qgo5IbCtA

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you should embed that imo, it is worth embedding

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

i can't tell if this is parody or autism

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Boxturret posted:

quite awhile ago there was a truck posted here that had a barrel thing on the back i think? does anyone know what it was?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Burger's
1 Million Bitcoin's
Exchanged for Burgers

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Boxturret posted:

i think it may have had something to do with a gas distillery or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGBZxWOwkh4

Advantages of a Bitcoin Based Fluid Dispenser

• The transaction is instant between the buyer and the seller.
  • A charge back or double spend is very unlikely after about 1 hour of the bitcoin network confirming the transaction.
  • The seller does not need to limit the sale total per purchase, such as commonly done with credit card sales.
  • Compared to a bitcoin ATM, individuals can use bitcoins to purchase something useful. No palm scanner, drivers license, or personal information must be shared with the seller.
  • Transaction fees are typically a small fraction of 1 percent of the transaction total, whereas traditional credit card companies typically charge several percent of the transaction total. More value remains within the local community.
  • No cash needs to be stored at the point of sale and no cash needs to be transferred from the point of sale at the end of the business day.
  • The person receiving the fluid doesn't necessarily need to be the the one making payment. Payment can be made for the fluid from a remote location.
  • A fluid dispensing device can utilize the existing cellular, satellite, or land based internet connection infrastructure.
  • Water and home heating fuel companies don't necessarily need to refuse doing business with individuals with a poor credit history because the payment will be made upon delivery.
  • The payment network and the currency are global. No need for exchanging currencies when conducting business in multiple jurisdictions or when traveling. Greater competition in the global marketplace because the cost of all goods will be compared using a universal medium of exchange.
  • The payment network is based on advanced cryptographic techniques. Ever wonder what security mechanism is protecting bank account and credit card accounts from unauthorized withdrawals? I'm still wondering.
  • The payment network doesn't close at the end of the business day.
  • The bitcoin software is open source. Every user of the bitcoin network has a copy of every transaction. There are no secret transactions or secret money printing. The money supply increases at a controlled and predictable rate.
  • The payment network is distributed. There is no single point of failure or censorship. Bitcoin can't be manipulated or inflated by any central authority.
  • The purchasing power of bitcoin can be anchored to diverse set of physical commodities that are regularly consumed by society, and not just a handful of unstable, centralized currency exchanges or collectible commodities such as gold and silver.
    You can learn more about bitcoin at bitcoin.org

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Proteus4994 posted:

it was only then that it started to be funny though

disclaimer: i still own 2400 1200 s1000 800 us dollar in butts the libertarians tipped me for loving around with them

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
without the libertarians and the scammers, bitcoin is just a mildly interesting proof of concept that no one outside of tech would give two shits about

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

BeOSPOS posted:

Burger's
1 Million Bitcoin's
Exchanged for Burgers

bitburger is the only restaurant to survive the currency wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lmao if you think that if you bought Bitcoins in the >$10 you wouldn't have sold them all during the first $32 bubble

"oh yeah if I bought Bitcoins at $1 I totally would have called the $1000 peak 2 years, 2 bubbles and months of 0 volume later.

• Locked thread