Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

The thing is that if City of Many Doublewide Trailers had a bunch of people living in it that shared interests with me, it would be a much greater city than it is. It would have more than 10,000 people living in it. It would have a nightlife of some kind.

I mean really, you type this and wonder why people think you're a douchebag?

Right there you're claiming you are superior to these dirty poors in their double wide, even though they're probably at least employed and not mooching off their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

I mean really, you type this and wonder why people think you're a douchebag?

Right there you're claiming you are superior to these dirty poors in their double wide, even though they're probably at least employed and not mooching off their parents.

How does stating I have few common interests with someone state superiority?

After all, you're the one that called them dirty poors. I only cited facts found in the US Census.

If you jumped to the conclusion that people who live in doublewides are dirty poors, I say you claim superiority. I don't recall stating everyone who lived in one is a piece of poo poo; nor did I wholly object to the presence of a substantial amount of modular housing. I simply stated that there's a high number of a particular type of housing and there happens to be a high number of people that I don't have anything in common with. Let's not twist the facts here.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 16, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

How does stating I have few common interests with someone state superiority?

The part where you go on about how much better the place would be if it was all people like you.

Let me quote it again.

GILF Hunter posted:

The thing is that if City of Many Doublewide Trailers had a bunch of people living in it that shared interests with me, it would be a much greater city than it is. It would have more than 10,000 people living in it. It would have a nightlife of some kind.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would recommend you reread this entire thread, but pretend that you are not the OP and you are just reading something that someone else wrote (and replied to).

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

The part where you go on about how much better the place would be if it was all people like you.

Let me quote it again.

So, just to be clear, you see a problem with me stating that a small town with no growth in the south which has a higher-than-average number of people who are uneducated (Census fact) is an undesirable place for me to live? Wait, am I not allowed to have an opinion about where I live all the sudden?

I would say the majority of people in the country would feel the same way, else this particular place -- along with however many other cities in the south just like it -- would have a large influx of booming businesses, smart people, and all the things that go along with that.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

adorai posted:

I would recommend you reread this entire thread, but pretend that you are not the OP and you are just reading something that someone else wrote (and replied to).

I would approach the question asked with cost-benefit response, and not attack the OP for asking for advice on a touchy subject. Else, I would probably keep my mouth shut.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

So, just to be clear, you see a problem with me stating that a small town with no growth in the south which has a higher-than-average number of people who are uneducated (Census fact) is an undesirable place for me to live? Wait, am I not allowed to have an opinion about where I live all the sudden?

I would say the majority of people in the country would feel the same way, else this particular place -- along with however many other cities in the south just like it -- would have a large influx of booming businesses, smart people, and all the things that go along with that.

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you're just dumb.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

I can't tell if you're being deliberately obtuse, or you're just dumb.

Would you want to live in a place with the characteristics I just described?

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 16, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

You're asking the wrong person buddy, I work in the meat processing industry (aka. abattoirs) and got my start at one in town of 5,000 people working my way up from near the bottom, and I loved it then and still do now.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

You're asking the wrong person buddy, I work in the meat processing industry (aka. abattoirs) and got my start at one in town of 5,000 people working my way up from near the bottom, and I loved it then and still do now.

So you and I have different interests, and are clearly not progressing far in our friendship.

You translation: I hate poor people.

what

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
If only there were people like you too save the town I lived in :(.

EDIT: I got a degree in Computer Science and would never have expected to be working in this industry, but I was like you at one point, waiting out the right job until it got to the point where I just needed something. 9 years later I make pretty drat good money as an IT Manager in the same industry (although IT Manager is a bit of stretch since I spend most days doing anything but IT work). Looking back, I should have taken the first job I could, because by waiting until the last possible chance it put me well behind where I could be now.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 16, 2014

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

If only there were people like you too save the town I lived in :(.

Only then might you learn how to spell.

quote:

EDIT: I got a degree in Computer Science and would never have expected to be working in this industry, but I was like you at one point, waiting out the right job until it got to the point where I just needed something. 9 years later I make pretty drat good money as an IT Manager in the same industry (although IT Manager is a bit of stretch since I spend most days doing anything but IT work). Looking back, I should have taken the first job I could, because by waiting until the last possible chance it put me well behind where I could be now.

Congratulations on your success. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 16, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

You can commute.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. When I was just starting my career, I worked a thankless version of it (helpdesk) on third shift in a town 40 minutes away from home. I drove to and from this job five days a week. After a while I was promoted, to a still thankless job (level 2 helpdesk) but no longer on third shift. I hated both of these jobs, but liked the people I worked with. I was also poorly compensated for my time, though not out of line with the job. After these two stints, I was again promoted to Network Administrator. Since I was a consultant, I was given a new assignment and was the only IT guy at a ~100 person company. This company was a 50 minute commute away from home, but the job was something I wanted because it was great experience. The reality was that most of the people I worked with were terrible people and I hated the assignment, but I knew if I stuck with it the next hop on the ladder would come soon enough. Sure enough it did, and I was moved to another assignment (still network administrator) at a great company with great coworkers. Since then there have been more career moves, but they are not relevant to my point. Most people pay their dues with lovely jobs in the beginning, and only get a great job that they like once they reach mid career. As much as you probably feel that getting a masters degree entitles you skip that part of your career, it sounds like the entry level job in the field requires that level of education and therefore you have to start at the bottom like everyone else.

GILF Hunter posted:

Only then might you learn how to spell.
Based on what you have posted in this thread, you should not be criticizing the spelling or grammar of other posters.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

Congratulations on your success. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

And this is the problem, I tell you why you should take the job, because the longer you spend not working, the further behind you get and you completely ignore it, because I guess you're better then me right?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GILF Hunter posted:

I would approach the question asked with cost-benefit response, and not attack the OP for asking for advice on a touchy subject. Else, I would probably keep my mouth shut.

You are basing what you want entirely off emotion and not putting any kind of cost benefit analysis to it.

You will make money.
You will get experience. (Granted not exactly what you want)
You will have a job.
Having a job makes it easier to find the next job.
You can work on your network, convince them to send you to a conference and hustle.

If you don't take it you continue to work for room and board outside your interest and chosen industry.
You shoot resumes down black holes and hope one sticks.

You could very easily better your future self but instead you not liking the area is stopping that, even though you have no other options. When you have options you can say no because you don't like the place.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 16, 2014

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Did you actually tell your parents yet that you're going to reject the offer and continue to live at home? If not, can you slap a GoPro on your head when you do so we can see their reaction?

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

adorai posted:

You can commute.

Let me tell you a bit about myself. When I was just starting my career, I worked a thankless version of it (helpdesk) on third shift in a town 40 minutes away from home. I drove to and from this job five days a week. After a while I was promoted, to a still thankless job (level 2 helpdesk) but no longer on third shift. I hated both of these jobs, but liked the people I worked with. I was also poorly compensated for my time, though not out of line with the job. After these two stints, I was again promoted to Network Administrator. Since I was a consultant, I was given a new assignment and was the only IT guy at a ~100 person company. This company was a 50 minute commute away from home, but the job was something I wanted because it was great experience. The reality was that most of the people I worked with were terrible people and I hated the assignment, but I knew if I stuck with it the next hop on the ladder would come soon enough. Sure enough it did, and I was moved to another assignment (still network administrator) at a great company with great coworkers. Since then there have been more career moves, but they are not relevant to my point. Most people pay their dues with lovely jobs in the beginning, and only get a great job that they like once they reach mid career. As much as you probably feel that getting a masters degree entitles you skip that part of your career, it sounds like the entry level job in the field requires that level of education and therefore you have to start at the bottom like everyone else.
Based on what you have posted in this thread, you should not be criticizing the spelling or grammar of other posters.

I totally get this, whether you choose to believe me or not. It's just that in my field, the advancement line goes something like this: Technician, Assistant, Associate, Senior, Principal, Director. Generally speaking, people with a masters and a handful of experience are hired as Assistant or Associate planners, NOT technicians, which is what I have been offered. What I am considering -- and not debating you on so much as you might think -- is the downside of settling for a position where others are available.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

And this is the problem, I tell you why you should take the job, because the longer you spend not working, the further behind you get and you completely ignore it, because I guess you're better then me right?

And I guess you're better than me for saying "ignore your qualms with the situation and plow ahead" because it worked for you?

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Inept posted:

Did you actually tell your parents yet that you're going to reject the offer and continue to live at home? If not, can you slap a GoPro on your head when you do so we can see their reaction?

They are aware of my situation. They, like I, are riding on the assumption that if I turn it down, something else will come along. It seems fair to assume that if I keep trying to get a job, I will eventually get one.

Of course, that may not be the case, and my parents may be idiots, but at least they are interested in my happiness, as am I. Continuing to criticize me for expressing concern about not be miserable really offers nothing constructive.

It seems unfair that the pessimistic nature of this thread regarding my career assumes that I will never ever have another job offer again and that I'm going to wither away in my parents basement.

I'm here to tell you that I refuse to let that happen.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

I totally get this, whether you choose to believe me or not. It's just that in my field, the advancement line goes something like this: Technician, Assistant, Associate, Senior, Principal, Director. Generally speaking, people with a masters and a handful of experience are hired as Assistant or Associate planners, NOT technicians, which is what I have been offered. What I am considering -- and not debating you on so much as you might think -- is the downside of settling for a position where others are available.

Yeah, you need to get over yourself, why is anyone going to hire you as an assistant or associate planner over someone who's worked that technician job and got some amount of real world experience.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

GILF Hunter posted:

My parents don't pay themselves;
We're beginning to understand why your business sense is so lovely.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

Yeah, you need to get over yourself, why is anyone going to hire you as an assistant or associate planner over someone who's work that technician job and got some amount of real world experience.

Because every single person I've graduated with has been hired as at least an assistant with roughly the same amount of experience. Why am I supposed to be the chump who settles for less?

Is this thread really just telling me to settle for less?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

Because every single person I've graduated with has been hired as at least an assistant with roughly the same amount of experience. Why am I supposed to be the chump who settles for less?

Is this thread really just telling me to settle for less?

Well thats one way to not answer the question.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Secks Cauldron posted:

We're beginning to understand why your business sense is so lovely.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Most small business owners don't pay themselves a salary.

Also, not all small business owners make an attempt to employ "poor people" either.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

Well thats one way to not answer the question.

It answers the question just fine. If everyone who completes a masters at my university enters the workforce with at least an assistant title, it is perfectly reasonable to consider holding out for such a position. Tell me why it's not. Tell me why I should settle for less.

Most assistant/associate jobs require at least a BS anyway, with a considerable handful wanting a masters.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GILF Hunter posted:

Continuing to criticize me for expressing concern about not be miserable really offers nothing constructive.

Having a job that doesn't make quite as much as you'd like doing not quite what you'd like sure would make anyone miserable, I am glad you are choosing to take the high road and will forego income until a better job is offered to you.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

It answers the question just fine. If everyone who completes a masters at my university enters the workforce with at least an assistant title, it is perfectly reasonable to consider holding out for such a position. Tell me why it's not. Tell me why I should settle for less.

Most assistant/associate jobs require at least a BS anyway, with a considerable handful wanting a masters.

That sure is a second way to not answer the question.

To repeat it again, why would anyone hire you as an assistant or associate planner over someone with experience as a technician?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rudager posted:

To repeat it again, why would anyone hire you as an assistant or associate planner over someone with experience as a technician?
Because his college classmates were hired as such. Can't you read?

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

That sure is a second way to not answer the question.

Because they lack the necessary degree.

I have yet to encounter an Assistant Planner position which does not say "Requires a Bachelor of Science/Arts in urban planning, community planning, or a related field".

I assumed I was making that part clear.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!
But on that note, that sure is a way to not answer my question: Why should I settle for less than what my peers have obtained?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

GILF Hunter posted:

But on that note, that sure is a way to not answer my question: Why should I settle for less than what my peers have obtained?

You shouldn't. Keep waiting friend.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Inept posted:

You shouldn't. Keep waiting friend.

Hurray, I made a friend in this thread! Finally!

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

GILF Hunter posted:

Because they lack the necessary degree.

I have yet to encounter an Assistant Planner position which does not say "Requires a Bachelor of Science/Arts in urban planning, community planning, or a related field".

I assumed I was making that part clear.

Well, I won't ask a third time, but for another question to hopefully clear it up, how likely is it to get a job as an Assistant or Associate Planner with experience as a technician AND a masters?

GILF Hunter posted:

Haha, mate, I've made it already (in my eyes), but nice try.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

Rudager posted:

Well, I won't ask a third time, but for another question to hopefully clear it up, how likely is it to get a job as an Assistant or Associate Planner with experience as a technician AND a masters?

Considering people that graduate from my university with my degree obtain Assistant positions with roughly the same experience -- I've said this a few times too -- I would say it's very likely. Edit for clarity: Very likely to obtain that position without having worked explicitly in the technician role. Internships and outside experience obviously play in.

quote:

Haha, mate, I've made it already (in my eyes), but nice try.

Maybe I need to repeat myself then.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 16, 2014

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

GILF Hunter posted:

Considering people that graduate from my university with my degree obtain Assistant positions with roughly the same experience -- I've said this a few times too -- I would say it's very likely.
In what time frame? From the sound of it you have already moved from the norm into outlier. Other interviewers are going to look at your difficulty in finding a job and assume that there is a reason you were not already hired.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!
Hard to say. Some found work immediately. Some took a year. Some went back to where they had their internships at*. I would say I am not an outlier for not having a job 3 months out of school.

I think it's also fair to consider how many people graduated at the same time as me with the same degree all over the country. Most new graduates are probably hitting the job boards the hardest in summer, correct?

*I also am restricting myself to the public sector, which not everyone I know has. Mine were in the private sector.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 16, 2014

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Did you close your thread? Don't close your thread. Thanks in advance.

Also please PM me your real name so I don't ever accidentally hire you

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 16, 2014

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GILF Hunter posted:

I think someone mentioned this already, but the guys with jobs aren't your peers. They're a step ahead of you.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

GILF Hunter posted:

One of problems, if you want to call it that, is that I really want to work in the public sector (city, county, state government, or a non-profit). There are jobs ALL the time in my field. However, I think one of the issues is that planning is obviously location-based. Things vary from state to state, county to county. So while I may be qualified for a position in Oregon along with a dozen other people, planning in Oregon is a lot different than planning in my state. I feel that it's more likely that that municipalities want to hire people who have studied and worked in the region in which they're applying to, especially since "knowledge of [this locale]'s comprehensive plan" is frequently a requirement. There's a lot of similarities, but there's a lot of differences too.

tl;dr: All but one of my interviews have been in the south. I don't see that as a coincidence.

It sounds like your options are a bit limited in terms of geography. Are there really jobs all the time in your region in cities that you want to be in and if so why haven't you received more interviews? If this was a really in demand position then I think that it would be perfectly fine to decline the offer. Though it doesn't really sound like there are a lot of opportunities here for new people. But again I have no idea about your field. It sounds a bit risky to decline the offer in your position, but if you feel that you can't even take 6 months of being at this job, then just decline it and keep applying to other ones and hopefully it'll work out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
If I've been reading right... He already accepted the offer, and this thread is about whether to back out at the last second so he can live with his parents until he gets an offer somewhere for 10% more.

• Locked thread