Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Radbot posted:

I'm sure they interviewed that tagger to ensure he was part of the protest too. No one would ever tag something in Oakland otherwise.
If you're not a cop, you're a protester. It's like how the looters in Ferguson are all doing it to honor the memory of Michael Brown, master thief and cop-killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'll find you the video in a second, but this is baloney. It's from the same day.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/multim...75d2d0c753.html

This is the highest quality version of the video that I've seen.

Thanks, I'll look at this later once I'm fully awake.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Videos like this
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/500527851582791680
are a good response to nonsense like that left-wing "defense of riots" posted way back, who claimed that riots and looting are fine because black people don't actually have ownership of their neighborhoods.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you're curious what the Fox News crowd is posting today, it's this:

http://toprightnews.com/?p=5136

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As before, it's a few dozen looters at most and hundreds or thousands of peaceful protesters and citizens defending the community.

And as before, the riot cops are the ones who probably caused everything.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

ReindeerF posted:

I guess that's where our mystery men with the ARs went.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Doing stuff like trashing a Walmart is obviously giving ammunition to the media to keep painting the protesters as violent savages and is a huge "PR mistake" in that sense. I don't think that means that it's automatically "wrong" or unjustified, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

The answer is always more guns. If Michael Brown had been armed to the teeth he might still be alive :911:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The looters aren't even part of the protests, most likely. They're existing criminals who are taking advantage of the chaos of riot police showing up to pillage and burn. They don't give two shits about how the protests are viewed because they're not trying to look like good guys.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

fknlo posted:

The answer is always more guns. If Michael Brown had been armed to the teeth he might still be alive :911:

I don't want to have to read Fox News bs to find out, are people actually saying that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thathonkey posted:

I don't want to have to read Fox News bs to find out, are people actually saying that?

I haven't seen it. The article is about how business owners and citizens with guns were guarding the places from looters last night.

Even Florida gun laws couldn't have protected Brown anyway. He was 18, meaning he couldn't legally purchase or carry a pistol for self-defense in the first place.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

thathonkey posted:

No, they don't care if Michael Brown dies. But people (white people, incidentally) are using AR-15s to defend their tattoo shop to prevent looting -- cuz tattoo shops are an obvious target for looting -- and so if all property owners had AR-15s, looting would not be an issue.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thathonkey posted:

Not about Michael Brown, but

quote:

And the lesson for politicians, and all Americans (particularly liberal gun-grabbers) is that being armed — and armed to the teeth — is the ONLY defense against a rioting mob. There were police everywhere in Ferguson Sunday night, and not one of those stores were protected against looters. But the two businesses above WERE spared — because they were able to arm themselves.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Not just guns, the article makes it clear that it was the presence of high capacity magazines(emphasis theirs) that prevented two stores from being looted.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So what are the chances that if those shop owners had started shooting to defend themselves against looters that the cops would have perceived them as a threat and responded in kind, resulting in a western style shootout between the police and the shop owners with protesters caught in the crossfire?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taeke posted:

So what are the chances that if those shop owners had started shooting to defend themselves against looters that the cops would have perceived them as a threat and responded in kind, resulting in a western style shootout between the police and the shop owners with protesters caught in the crossfire?

Did that happen with the Korean business owners in the 1992 Los Angeles riots?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

M. Night Skymall posted:

Not just guns, the article makes it clear that it was the presence of high capacity magazines(emphasis theirs) that prevented two stores from being looted.

Personally, I found the group concealed carrying their firearms in order to keep their store safe to be the most persuasive. Just one look at them and the looters thought, I don't see any guns, but maybe they might be hiding them. Better move along.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

No, because the cops literally left Koreatown to burn.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Antonio French's twitter has a really good play by play of how things went down last night.

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

@AntonioFrench posted:

I want to be clear: Police not coming in at this point -- even with the looting -- was a good thing. It would've gotten very violent.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

chitoryu12 posted:

Kinda? There were reports of Korean business owners shooting at each other because one group would get to a group of stores early, set up a barricade, and then others business owners would try to get to their stores later and a shootoff would ensue until both groups figured out they were on the same side. It resulted in at least one death, that of Edward Song Lee, an 18 year old kid trying to help protect his families business who was killed by other Koreans who mistook him for a looter.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Antonio French's twitter has a really good play by play of how things went down last night.

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench

Agreed, I was following what was happening with him. These two also look good for getting a summary of what happened:
https://twitter.com/minossec and https://twitter.com/madamjujujive/lists/michael-brown

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Per CNN, the DOJ told FPD not to release the video and pictures. Evidently they thought it was both inflammatory as well as non-responsive to the sunshine requests.

ya think?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
FBI agents have arrived at the command post.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Damiya posted:

Per CNN, the DOJ told FPD not to release the video and pictures. Evidently they thought it was both inflammatory as well as non-responsive to the sunshine requests.

ya think?

Is the FPD as hosed as it seems? I mean, this has gotta be the end of at least a couple of careers, no?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Damiya posted:

ya think?

Is FPD just TRYING to get replaced?

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
What's sad is that regardless of what happens they seem to already have middle Americas support, thanks to not only releasing a video but having the cheif of police saying it was entirely unrelated.
I'd do the typical, move to another country rant but that seems pretty useless.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
dumb post

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 16, 2014

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just shook the guy who went on the rant last nights hand. He is in mcdonalds.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Is the FPD as hosed as it seems? I mean, this has gotta be the end of at least a couple of careers, no?

They probably are, but after last night public opinion seems to be shifting to their side. Lots of "They just wanted the police out of there so they could loot more stores" out there today.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cease to Hope posted:

That tattoo place is all the way the gently caress north of 270. Nothing was happening there. Not just that, but that image was doing the rounds on Wednesday, so it's not from last night.
Yes, I didn't say it was from last night, I said it's what Fox News crowd are posting, which is true.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

What set off the cops last night to start firing teargas or smoke? And was the highway patrol still in charge?

D_I
Aug 31, 2004
Love the jumping through hoops in this thread to justify criminal activity.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

D_I posted:

lol

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

D_I posted:

But I haven't seen more than like one person say the cop was justified for murder?

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

What set off the cops last night to start firing teargas or smoke? And was the highway patrol still in charge?

From what I'm seeing, they showed up and started firing tear gas after protesters were marching peacefully; pd were asking them to disperse and get out of the road. And what I've heard so far is that the highway patrol wasn't there at that time, it was the county pd (not sure about this, but it's likely).

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
It's mainly people off this site.
Funny enough when you counter them with 'it was said it was unrelated'
'He attacked the officer, wait until the case is done before you come to conclusions. He was up to no good.'

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

D_I posted:

You pick out what's useful to you, I guess.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

D_I posted:

I don't see anyone defending the murderous pig.

Could you link to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

SectumSempra posted:

It's mainly people off this site.
Funny enough when you counter them with 'it was said it was unrelated'
'He attacked the officer, wait until the case is done before you come to conclusions. He was up to no good.'

These cases always have a large "he wasn't so innocent, you'll see. Just wait for all the facts to come out before you make a judgement" contingent, as if they are in possession of some special insider info. Spoiler: the inside info is always that he was black.

• Locked thread