Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I only tip the restaurant owner for his successful efforts to hire agreeable service personal, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I order twice as much as I want, eat half, then send it back saying it is bad. I refuse any more as it gave me an upset stomach.

Then I leave whatever change I have in my pocket as a tip.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Dude, you live in a loving fantasy world. The vast majority of people, if they had to tip at your fantasy rates, would just avoid eating out altogether and lots of places would close down.

Which would actually be good I think, since so many servers seem content to get rammed up the rear end by their boss, and are still dumb enough to get mad at the customers instead.

You are not wrong, "pants on head retarted" is exactly what tipping is in America. Employers are cheap, and their employees, apparently, have no loving dignity and are dumb as a post, so they blame the wrong people. It's a pretty American system in both it's execution and levels of selfish ignorance required to maintain it.

I mean look at Crunk Abortion in this thread, if he's not trolling, he is so dependent on tips, he seems to think they should be large enough for him to live off of entirely. He is clearly blind to the sheer idiocy and madness of this. Even though he admits his employer is loving him over and largely taking advantage of him

Ahhh no tipping system is going to be an adequate way to compensate for a lack of a health care.

It's really loving sad and pathetic to see servers push back the hardest when you mention trying to get their bosses to pay them fairly instead of tips.

These dumb fuckers.

You are blaming the wrong people. Yeah, it's the waiters fault for not enacting Full Communism Now. It's the bartender who is too stupid to do any better. Why don't they all just quit and start a new system, huh?? pants-on-head retards i tell ya!

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

Mike the TV posted:

You are blaming the wrong people. Yeah, it's the waiters fault for not enacting Full Communism Now. It's the bartender who is too stupid to do any better. Why don't they all just quit and start a new system, huh?? pants-on-head retards i tell ya!

No I fully blame the greedy restaurant owners and our lovely society that lets them get away with robbery of what are generally some of the poorer more vulnerable people in society.

I do tip for a good waiter, but I loving hate the notion that tipping is somehow mandatory. It's not like most people eating out are loaded these days ether. I don't eat out often, but I sometime you have to go out with friends and such, and I can't afford much of a tip sadly.

The attitude that tipping is mandatory is pretty arrogant and foolish.

It's just sad and frustrating to see so many servers vehemently defend a system that treats them like such poo poo and pays them even less.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Cesar Cedeno posted:

No I fully blame the greedy restaurant owners and our lovely society that lets them get away with robbery of what are generally some of the poorer more vulnerable people in society.

I do tip for a good waiter, but I loving hate the notion that tipping is somehow mandatory. It's not like most people eating out are loaded these days ether. I don't eat out often, but I sometime you have to go out with friends and such, and I can't afford much of a tip sadly.

It's just sad and frustrating to see so many servers vehemently defend a system that treats them like such poo poo and pays them even less.

tipping isnt mandatory but neither is being a nice person. you're welcome to be as big of an rear end in a top hat as you would like to be.
i consistently get 20% tips and make pretty decent money, but i feel awful for the waitresses at Waffle House and tip them out at least 50%

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

Mike the TV posted:

tipping isnt mandatory but neither is being a nice person. you're welcome to be as big of an rear end in a top hat as you would like to be.
i consistently get 20% tips and make pretty decent money, but i feel awful for the waitresses at Waffle House and tip them out at least 50%

Yeah but that's part of the problem, this automatic association between not leaving a "big enough" tip and being an rear end in a top hat.

It's so variable, oh I feel bad for this person, should my tip be sympathy based for the poor plebs? Should it be income based, if so, who's income, the server may be making more then me? Should it be directly tied to quality of service? Should it just be some automatic thing that no one questions, thus never fixing the problems?

The fact that servers feel the need to get so defensive and argumentative over tipping is a pretty big sign something is wrong.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
just write "I'm POOR sorry" on the tip line of your receipt.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I prefer "get a better paying job"

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Waltzing Along posted:

I prefer "get a better paying job"

the best, is if you get breakfast somewhere is to roll up a breakfast sausage in the receipt as your tip.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!
I like restaurants that try and add a mandatory tip to your check too. The owner may as well write "LOL gently caress YOU PAY MY WAITERS" in giant red letters on the thing. Bonus points if the service was still lovely.

I've walked out without paying from two places like that.

Also protip for the recession, it is really, really easy to leave a busy restaurant without paying.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Cesar Cedeno posted:

I like restaurants that try and add a mandatory tip to your check too. The owner may as well write "LOL gently caress YOU PAY MY WAITERS" in giant red letters on the thing. Bonus points if the service was still lovely.

I've walked out without paying from two places like that.

Also protip for the recession, it is really, really easy to leave a busy restaurant without paying.

wear two shirts and those tear away exercise pants over some jeans and a hat plus shades, backpack. go to bathroom change clothes walk out.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

dontcareaboutname posted:

wear two shirts and those tear away exercise pants over some jeans and a hat plus shades, backpack. go to bathroom change clothes walk out.

You are making this waaaaaay too complicated.

Go to bathroom. Walk out. Drive away quickly. As long as you plan on not returning for quite some time, you're golden.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You guys are making this way too complicated. Just walk out whenever you feel like it.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!
I almost always have to piss first, since I just downed roughly 12 free beers.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Cesar Cedeno posted:

I'm not defending the system, the system is hosed. My employer should pay us all a living wage, this is absolutely true. What I'm doing is calling you out for being a degenerate. If you can't afford to leave a tip even though the service was good, your answer to your friends should be "sorry I can't afford to go out to eat right now". What's arrogant and foolish is for you to expect another human being to literally be your servant for free, and heap scorn on them for not seeing that as your inherent right because you're "not loaded" these days, so you shouldn't have to pay them, your servant. If you're not loaded, cook your own god drat food. You wouldn't hire a maid to clean your home and then refuse to pay them. Those are both luxuries. If you can't afford your luxuries, modify your lifestyle or budget. The only "insanity" in this thread is that people expect people who make less than $5 an hour to gratefully subsidize luxuries that they claim they can't otherwise afford. If you need welfare money from the pocketbooks of working Americans in order to eat, go get a loving EBT card.

Here's an experiment. If you really have the conviction to back up your bluster, next time you go to a restaurant with your friends, inform your waitress that regardless of food quality and service, you won't be leaving much of a tip because you're not that loaded right now, and see how your dining experience goes. If you're going to be a stingy rear end in a top hat don't also be a coward too. Own your bullshit.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

Crunk Abortion posted:

I'm not defending the system, the system is hosed. My employer should pay us all a living wage, this is absolutely true. What I'm doing is calling you out for being a degenerate. If you can't afford to leave a tip even though the service was good, your answer to your friends should be "sorry I can't afford to go out to eat right now". What's arrogant and foolish is for you to expect another human being to literally be your servant for free, and heap scorn on them for not seeing that as your inherent right because you're "not loaded" these days, so you shouldn't have to pay them, your servant. If you're not loaded, cook your own god drat food. You wouldn't hire a maid to clean your home and then refuse to pay them. Those are both luxuries. If you can't afford your luxuries, modify your lifestyle or budget. The only "insanity" in this thread is that people expect people who make less than $5 an hour to gratefully subsidize luxuries that they claim they can't otherwise afford. If you need welfare money from the pocketbooks of working Americans in order to eat, go get a loving EBT card.

Here's an experiment. If you really have the conviction to back up your bluster, next time you go to a restaurant with your friends, inform your waitress that regardless of food quality and service, you won't be leaving much of a tip because you're not that loaded right now, and see how your dining experience goes. If you're going to be a stingy rear end in a top hat don't also be a coward too. Own your bullshit.

lol

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Crunk Abortion posted:

shutup you poor rear end food monkey

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

Crunk Abortion posted:

What's arrogant and foolish is for you to expect another human being to literally be your servant for free,

Dude if this is really how you see yourself, as a literal loving servant, you need a new job and some loving self-respect.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Dude if this is really how you see yourself, as a literal loving servant, you need a new job and some loving self-respect.

Did lowtax let you pay for your registration with food stamps? I know you're having a hard time right now. You should start waiting tables, I'll leave you a big tip so you can afford plat.

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 16, 2014

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 632 days!

Crunk Abortion posted:

Did lowtax let you pay for your registration with food stamps? I know you're having a hard time right now. You should start waiting tables, I'll leave you a big tip so you can afford plat.

I think I might have figured out why you might not be getting big tips...

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Dude, you gotta stop feeding the trolls. Nothing you say is gonna change these people's minds. I come to you as a bartender who has fallen into the SA-tipping-argument trap one too many times. Kill 'em with kindness, I say! Also, note this guy's avatar. He has it for a reason.

Cesar Cedeno posted:

Case in point. Though I might add that semantics aside, we are a kind of servant. Certainly not indentured or enslaved, but we are there to serve you - we just get paid for it.

dontcareaboutname posted:

the best, is if you get breakfast somewhere is to roll up a breakfast sausage in the receipt as your tip.

This is goddamn hilarious and I would probably spend the rest of the day laughing with my coworkers about it.

I think the crux of the issue here is that the vast majority of Americans don't see an issue with tipping - it's become so deeply embedded in society that it's as natural as anything else. We tip doormen, waitstaff, hairstylists, tattooists, baristas, delivery persons, dry cleaners, shoeshiners, subway musicians, and a number of other service-based professions. This is a huge political monster that I don't think many politicians would care to bring up, especially seeing as the grand majority of the population seems to have no problem with the status quo. I am of the mind that it is part of the unique character of the U.S., and it makes for a unique and memorable service experience when compared to those I've experienced in other countries.

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
Tip for the underpaid cooks who slaved for your meal, not the uneducated bitch who walked 30 feet to bring it to your table

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
The gooniest thread in gbs is here.

I tip at 15 bc these folks are poor. Then I tip 50 or more when they know their poo poo better than dickhead down the street. Ain't complicated

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 16, 2014

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Darth123123 posted:

The gooniest thread in gbs is here.

No doubt. I have never seen the bile and vitriol of the neckbearded masses quite as clarified and concentrated as it is on the subject of tipping.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
lol at the entitlement of these fuckers. i wish everyone would stop going out just like you want so you idiots would all be out of the job.

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

bigzak posted:

lol at the entitlement of these fuckers. i wish everyone would stop going out just like you want so you idiots would all be out of the job.

I'm not entitled to a drat thing :) I go to work, do a good job, and nobody seems to find fault in the transaction. I have dozens of regulars who will happily trade a few of their hard-earned duckets for a bite to eat, some good company, and a fine cocktail or seven. Then, they leave a nice tip for the person who facilitated that experience. Though you may have some kind of bitterness toward waitstaff, I can promise you that this is not a feeling shared by the grand majority of Americans. Go stop by your neighborhood pub sometime on a quiet Tuesday afternoon, grab a burger and a couple of beers, and shoot the poo poo with your bartender. You might even enjoy it! :burger: :guinness:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Here's an article explaining why tipping is really loving retarded.

quote:

For more than six years, I ran a restaurant without tips.

A couple of years after opening the Linkery restaurant in San Diego, the team and I adopted a policy of adding to each dining-in check a service charge of 18 percent—a little less than our tip average had been. We also refused to accept any payment beyond that service charge. (If someone surreptitiously slipped a twenty or two under a water glass, we donated it to a rotating “charity of the month,” usually selected by a staff member or patron.)

We made this change because we wanted to distribute the “tip” revenue to our cooks as well as our servers, making our pay more equitable. Servers and cooks typically made similar base wages—and minimum wage was the same for both jobs—but servers kept all the tips, which could often mean they were taking home three times what the cooks made, or more. In California at that time, it was illegal to distribute any tip money to cooks. (Recent court rulings in the Western U.S. have loosened that restriction somewhat). By replacing tipping with a service charge, we were legally able to redirect about a quarter of that revenue to the kitchen, which reduced the income disparity and helped foster unity on our team.

We had considered just incorporating that charge into the cost of each menu item, but we decided that it was easier for consumers to understand our pricing if we kept it analogous to that of a tipped restaurant. In a similar vein, we applied the service charge only to dining-in checks, since tipping is not yet a firmly established social norm for takeout. We used this service charge as a substitute for tipping from 2006 until we closed the restaurant this year to move to San Francisco.

When we switched from tipping to a service charge, our food improved, probably because our cooks were being paid more and didn't feel taken for granted. In turn, business improved, and within a couple of months, our server team was making more money than it had under the tipped system. The quality of our service also improved. In my observation, however, that wasn't mainly because the servers were making more money (although that helped, too). Instead, our service improved principally because eliminating tips makes it easier to provide good service.

It’s easy to understand why this is. Before I started working in hospitality, I worked in the tech industry, making fancy software for television set-top boxes. I was part of a skilled team in a challenging field, and we were expected to do our best work. Our compensation system followed two basic patterns. First, we negotiated our pay rarely, typically only at the beginning of a project (for freelancers) or once or twice a year (for salaried workers). We weren’t interrupted every hour or so with a trickle of payment that was supposedly based on how well were perceived to have done a recent task. Second, we were compensated by, and we negotiated with, the organization that employed us, not the consumers who benefited from our work. We didn't have to call up the end customers of our products and ask them to pay us for our work. (“Hi, Mr. Jones, I hope you've enjoyed using the auto-record feature on your cable box. You know, it took me like three weeks to write that code and I was wondering if I could get some payment for that.”)

These two principles probably apply at your work, too, if you work somewhere other than a restaurant and with your clothes on. They’re a well-established way of compensating people, in part because if you don't have to always think about money, you can focus on doing your job well. Software engineers, marriage counselors, bridge builders, you name the profession—in almost every industry, it's expected you'll be able to do your best work if you're not constantly distracted by compensation issues. Why don't we want that for restaurant servers?

I can hear your objection now: How could servers be motivated to do a good job without tips?

This is a common question, but it is also a silly question. Servers are motivated to do a good job in the same ways that everyone else is. Servers want to keep their jobs; servers want to get a raise; servers want to be successful and see themselves as professionals and take pride in their work. In any workplace, everyone is required to perform well, and tips have nothing to do with it. The next time you see your doctor, ask her if she wouldn't do better-quality work if she made minimum wage, with the rest of her income from her patients' tips. I suspect the answer will be a version of “no.”

Creating a non-tipping culture in restaurants is possible. We made our non-tipping restaurant work in the U.S. for more than six years, and from what I saw, eliminating tipping is a superior model. And, as Slate’s Brian Palmer has shown, there’s plenty of research to back up my observations. Studies have shown that tipping is not an effective incentive for performance in servers. It also creates an environment in which people of color, young people, old people, women, and foreigners tend to get worse service than white males. In a tip-based system, nonwhite servers make less than their white peers for equal work. Consider also the power imbalance between tippers, who are typically male, and servers, 70 percent of whom are female, and consider that the restaurant industry generates five times the average number of sexual harassment claims per worker. And that in many instances employers have allegedly misused tip credits, which let owners pay servers less than minimum wage if tipping makes up the difference.

Despite—or maybe because of—all the documented damage caused by tip culture, plenty of people are deeply, emotionally invested in keeping tipping propped up. When we abolished tipping at the Linkery, we met a few of these people. We would periodically hear guests express anger about not being able to choose the amount of their tip. Their refrain was, It's not about money ... I always tip more than 20 percent. These people were angry even though they had spent less than they otherwise would have, because they had been robbed of their perceived power over their server.

We also had guests—including, most memorably, a local food writer—who'd ask us, If you have a fixed charge, how are we supposed to punish our server for mistakes? In the case of the food writer, she opted to publish an article dressing down her server, using his real name, in the local alt-weekly. I'd suggest talking to or emailing a manager if you have service problems with any business.

I think the most notable opponent we encountered who wanted to cling to the tipping model was our local city attorney. In spite of our posted signs and check stamps and menu text and blog posts that outlined the service charge, his office accused us of trying to deceive consumers with it, and threatened me with fines and jail time. I thought this made me a special kind of outlaw, until this year when the same city attorney tried to stick one of my neighbors with 13 years in jail for writing protest slogans on the sidewalk using water-soluble children's chalk. In neither case did the prosecutor prevail. But the example illustrates, I think, the kind of person who will fight to save tipping culture: a person who lives in a world of offenses and punishment, someone invested in the idea of authority and the feeling of power. Incidentally, this kind of person is often a middle-aged white guy.

Thanks to people like this, the forces of tipping may have the upper hand, for now. But, if more businesses experiment with alternative models, and courts are eventually asked to grapple with tipping's discrimination issues, the situation may change. Maybe in a not-too-distant future, every restaurant will present us a bill that includes everything we're supposed to pay, including enough to pay good wages to all the people who work there. It's a system that's successful in other industries, and in restaurants in other countries. It can work here, too—and it can work better, in almost every way, than the system we have now.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Guys, you're literally taking money out of my pocket by not tipping me. Now excuse me while I under report my income and brag to all my friends about the hella sweet tax free money I make.

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Based on my experience, this article is 100% completely spot-on. However, we are stuck with the current system until an anti-tipping movement gains enough support to become legislation. Until then, restaurants will continue to pay an atrocious hourly wage to tipped employees. ($2.13 is the current federal minimum wage for employees making over $30/month in tips)

It is really interesting to see how upset people were that they could no longer exercise power over their waitstaff, perhaps this helps to explain why the practice of tipping has been so widely adopted in American society. We're so used to being told what to do that we relish the opportunity to exercise control over another person, if even for only the time it takes to have dinner.

Perdido posted:

Guys, you're literally taking money out of my pocket by not tipping me. Now excuse me while I under report my income and brag to all my friends about the hella sweet tax free money I make.

Both of these things are sometimes true, though I don't understand what you're trying to get across. Those who bitch about individual undertipping are missing the point - by and large, service staff make a perfectly passable income, depending on where and when you work. Anybody bitching about occasionally getting stiffed is missing the forest for the trees. Many service employees do enjoy misrepresenting their income and thus underpaying taxes, but this practice will bite you in the rear end anytime you need proof of income to buy a car, a house, or even to rent an apartment. It's a double edged sword and definitely does not always work in their favor. I and many other service professionals report our income to the penny for exactly those reasons. As a sidenote, misrepresenting income is rampant across the service sector, not just waitstaff. My mother used to clean houses for extra cash and never reported a dime. I know that we're an easy target because we're highly visible, but this is a practice that is common in every cash-based industry. As another sidenote, the prevalence of credit cards and debit cards is rapidly making this a thing of the past.

Freshman fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 16, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

So he just changed the name from "tips" to "service charge", made everybody pay the "service charge" and noted it wasn't a "tip" but a "service charge" in a state that doesn't have a tipping wage.

:psyduck:

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

InterceptorV8 posted:

So he just changed the name from "tips" to "service charge", made everybody pay the "service charge" and noted it wasn't a "tip" but a "service charge" in a state that doesn't have a tipping wage.

:psyduck:

He pretty much just included an 18% tip on every check, yes. What sets it apart in my mind is that he cut the kitchen staff in on the action, which I think is always a great idea. Places I've worked that include the kitchen in tips always run better, serve better product, and have a closer knit team than places that don't. I think in a perfect world people would be paying the same, but the additional cost would be represented in the price of the dish, rather than as an added charge. I think he just did it this way because it made it easier for people to understand than a sign saying "NO TIPS".

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I think the real difference was that the "gratuity" was automatic and always the same percentage in spite of what the customer would have given as a tip.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Only some restaurants tip their cooks out of the pot. That usually means they don't pay them poo poo, and they suck at actually cooking. It would probably be worth asking, if you feel you feel like the cook did an exceptional job, otherwise you're just tipping the servers and busses. Also consider if you leave "wow!" tip for your exceptional service, you're tipping everyone, unless that server is super smart and pockets that poo poo.

I tip anywhere from 20-30% based on service. If it's exceptionally poor service, it will be much less if anything. How the gently caress else are you supposed to improve?

It's dickheads like my coworker(with no concept of money) that will leave 20 bucks when the total was only 15, even if service was basically nonexistent.

Also in my years in the food industry, I can seriously say that black people do not loving tip. Ever. And there is always something to bitch about.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why not just raise all the prices by 18% and fairly compensate the staff.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

well, because you see

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Freshman posted:

Both of these things are sometimes true, though I don't understand what you're trying to get across. Those who bitch about individual undertipping are missing the point - by and large, service staff make a perfectly passable income, depending on where and when you work. Anybody bitching about occasionally getting stiffed is missing the forest for the trees. Many service employees do enjoy misrepresenting their income and thus underpaying taxes, but this practice will bite you in the rear end anytime you need proof of income to buy a car, a house, or even to rent an apartment. It's a double edged sword and definitely does not always work in their favor. I and many other service professionals report our income to the penny for exactly those reasons. As a sidenote, misrepresenting income is rampant across the service sector, not just waitstaff. My mother used to clean houses for extra cash and never reported a dime. I know that we're an easy target because we're highly visible, but this is a practice that is common in every cash-based industry. As another sidenote, the prevalence of credit cards and debit cards is rapidly making this a thing of the past.

I get grousing about getting stiffed to your coworkers or whatever at the end of the night -- I do it from time to time. But losing your loving mind about not tipping on takeout orders, telling others that they should go to a soup kitchen if they can't bootstraps themselves up to being able to afford takeout, etc. is a little ludicrous in my mind.

I don't expect to be tipped on takeout orders and I don't really care if I am or not because takeout is such a miniscule portion of what I deal with. If I was working at a place where takeout had a significant negative impact on my tips, I'd find another place to work...instead of simultaneously whining poverty and bragging about how much bank I make.

I find from personal experience that most service industry peeps tend to fudge their income numbers a bit. Generally because they're lazy and don't bother to record things and are just guesstimating. Don't really care if cleaners or other people do it, too, not really germane to the discussion.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
service "professionals"

lmao here's your sweet tea m'lord, i will accept my gold ducat now

Freshman
Jul 15, 2001

dropped out undecidedly

Waltzing Along posted:

Why bother doing that when the patrons will pay them? I've said it like three times in this thread, but I'll say it again: tipping is so ingrained in our society that there is simply no incentive to do away with it. People tip in the U.S. It's just the way it is. And until that changes, no shrewd businessperson is going to turn down the offer of a mostly unpaid staff. I don't think anyone here is going to argue that tipping is a better system, but one way or another we're stuck with it. As far as raising prices goes, where are you going to get a burger - at the place that's serving a combo deluxe for $10 or the place that's charging $12? People don't generally factor the tip when looking at prices and making a purchasing decision, and I don't think they would even if the $12 burger was advertising that a tip is not required. It's just too much to process for someone, and they're likely to take their business elsewhere as a result. Like I said, we're just stuck with this system until something seriously changes at the societal scale, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

bigzak posted:

service "professionals"

lmao here's your sweet tea m'lord, i will accept my gold ducat now

Aw, aren't you just the cutest little troll! There's an awful lot of talentless robots out there that do nothing more than carry plates, but there are also many of us who take this seriously as a profession and have real passion for what we do. I don't know where you live, but in NYC we have a vibrant dining culture that cultivates and fosters professionals who know what they are doing and do it well. If you're some podunk-rear end kid that does little more than drop swee'tea at a table and call it good, well, you can go back to Arkansas or wherever. Anyway we don't serve that poo poo up here.

Freshman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 16, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
A tip isn't a tip it's a service charge and god drat it, if you aren't paying 25% or more of a service charge on take out, you are a 1%er bigot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Passion huh?

• Locked thread