Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
if you had sold for $1200 that money would still be sitting in mtgox or seized

so there's that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I was also able to avoid losing my money in 95% of the bitcoin businesses that have collapsed since then

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
wow such fortuity

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

there's a reason every last idiot on /b/itcoin is still in the "get rich quick" mania

it's because none of them got rich

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Edminster posted:

Bitcoin Based Fluid Dispenser

continue to describe your genitals using internet-libertarian terminology

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Muscle Tracer posted:

there's a reason every last idiot on /b/itcoin is still in the "get rich quick" mania

it's because none of them got rich

no they're already rich, if only the rest of the world would wake up and realise how much bitcoins should be worth

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

lmao if you think that if you bought Bitcoins in the >$10 you wouldn't have sold them all during the first $32 bubble

"oh yeah if I bought Bitcoins at $1 I totally would have called the $1000 peak 2 years, 2 bubbles and months of 0 volume later.

Yup - let's not be crazy - if I had bought when I first heard of then I would have made a lot of money - probably by buying at 2 and selling at 10-11. But you would have to be insane to see the first bubble burst and assume it would next get to like 800 bucks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
if you can tell the future, you have better and much more legit ways to make money than bitcoin

if you can't tell the future, making money with bitcoin is just dumb luck

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FrozenVent posted:

bitcoin is just dumb

:eyepop:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's just an attractive investment vehicle because there are no apparent barriers to entry. the only similar vehicle is actual gambling

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's just an attractive investment vehicle because there are no apparent barriers to entry. the only similar vehicle is actual gambling

except gambling's regulated

so I mean I guess it'll be identical in a year or two

e: i look forward to the last remnant of bitcoin in ten years being a type of scratch-off lottery ticket

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's regulated sure, but no one can stop you from betting $1-$n whenever you want, they can only collect it from your tax return

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

it's regulated sure, but no one can stop you from betting $1-$n whenever you want, they can only collect it from your tax return

haha look at the sheep paying he taxes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

http://cointelegraph.com/news/11227...b7f30-192497013

quote:

Let the Bit Drop: Coinapult sets to Transform a Caribbean Island into Bitcoin Test Ground
by Bogdan Ulm @ 2014-08-15 01:24 PM

A small Caribbean island, which has yet to be named, will soon become the largest Bitcoin community in the world. Each person in that country who has SMS texting capability, will soon receive a small quantity of Bitcoin. This will make the country the densest population of Bitcoin owners in the world. Many of these people are currently unbanked.
Introducing the "Let the Bit Drop" party for Bitcoin aficionados

This ambitious plan is part of "Let The Bit Drop," a grand experiment set up by Coinapult and Aspen Assurance. In addition to giving every person in the country some Bitcoin currency, they are also throwing a huge island party for all of these new Bitcoiners. The organizers are currently seeking sponsors. The event is planned for sometime in late 2014, or the early part of 2015.

Organizers say that tens of thousands of people who live on the island will be part of the new Bitcoin community. They plan a party to celebrate in true island style, with tropical drinks, fire dancers, and musical guests who support Bitcoin. There will be free giveaways during the party, as well as booths that provide information on how Bitcoin works, and how to use the digital wallets they just received.

Though the specific Caribbean nation has not yet been disclosed, the organizers say that the island's government is fully behind the plan. They also plan to use government channels to help distribute educational materials about Bitcoin before the party. Local businesses will be encouraged to begin accepting Bitcoin, and they even plan to set up Bitcoin ATMs on the island. One of the big questions for the experiment, according to the CEO of Coinapult, Ira Miller, is whether people will begin spending Bitcoin at local businesses, or using it to send money to each other. Miller stated:

“So one of the things we are curious about is how they are going to use it: will they start sending each other money, or spending it on local businesses?”

- Ira Miller, CEO of Coinapult
Coinapult and its unique SMS Bitcoin wallet

One of the most significant benefits of Bitcoin is that it could provide bank type services to the “unbanked” i.e. people who currently do not have accounts with any banks or financial institutions. There are billions of people in the world who are presently unbanked.

Coinapult is the company which has created the first SMS Bitcoin wallet. They say that this is a necessary step in making Bitcoin work for the unbanked people in the world, especially those that have no internet access. Miller said that other Bitcoin wallets let users send money to a cell phone, but when the recipient gets it, it opens a web browser. For people with no internet access, this is unusable, which is where the SMS approach will be useful.

Until now, Bitcoin has been primarily an internet-based technology. The people who use it are heavy internet users, and most developments have been focused on shopping outlets that enable people to buy electronics or other goods online using bitcoins. Miller adds:

“There are a lot of Bitcoin wallets where you can send money to cell phones, and when they open it up, it goes to a web browser, but if they don’t have internet access, how could they use it? There are a few others that now offer the SMS approach.” [...] Up to the present day, Bitcoin has been mostly internet technology, so you have to have access to the internet — and not only in a computer lab once a week in your village. You have to most likely use it every day and really be deeply into the internet.”

Miller said that the real advantages of bitcoins have been overlooked. His company seeks to make Bitcoin tools more accessible to a broader audience, bringing the advantages of saving, accessing, and transferring funds to people who are currently unbanked. He said that they want to reach out to the community of people who have the greatest need for what Bitcoin offers, and "Let The Bit Drop" is a big step in that direction.

Think about the possibilities! How are you going to use your tenth (if you're lucky) of a bitcoin? Will you trade, will you spend it on a local business? or will you hodl?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The reaction in reddit is as expected.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2dpyu2/let_the_bit_drop_coinapult_sets_to_transform_a/

quote:

tsontar 7 points 4 hours ago

As long as that sovereign nation lets Americans stay there semipermanently without excess friction then I'm all ears :) and smiles.

1. Buy Bitcoin cheaply

2. Move to Bitlandia

3. Live off Bitcoin tax fre

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
a community of internet weridoes dreaming up a collective sovereign nation?

i'll make the cyborg bitcoin dildoes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Retailers look to Bitcoin as currency for life's basics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28802887

quote:

Perhaps appropriately, given the currency's capricious exchange rate, Mr James's other customer spent his Bitcoin on lottery tickets.

"We were hoping they would be winners... but we don't think they were," he says ruefully.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

i know when i look for cash influx to my dying currency/business i turn to the unbanked

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

stoutfish posted:

a community of internet weridoes dreaming up a collective sovereign nation?

i'll make the cyborg bitcoin dildoes

i have preordered one of your dragon cock block eruptors in cerulean and mint swirl, when can I expect it to ship

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
what is th e current status of bitcoin

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

about 600W on the new bfl monarch

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

still bad and dumb

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MR9G376 posted:

Publication Date: August 14, 2014 | Age Level: 10 - 18
This is my exclusive book about my experiences involving the cryptocurrency (bitcoin) business.

Turns out it was challenging to even fully comprehend how bitcoin works, or how to even set up a mining rig.

There were no unified guides to learn about bitcoin from multiple perspectives, so I decided to step up to the plate.

Parts from written assignments, others from experience - both misery and joy.
It's all what you make of it. Emulate my success, learn from my mistakes.
Seize new opportunities.

I've condensed all the research for you covering all angles of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies so you can get involved and start generating income today.

Find out how a student multiplied investments and paid for college through the use of cryptocurrencies.

This book covers:

- Basics of how to use bitcoin
- How I got started
- Dogecoin
- Mining Contracts
- Outsourcing research
- Setting up a mining rig
- Which coin to choose
- Trading cryptocurrencies
- Insider trading groups
- Starting your own business utilizing bitcoin
- My very own mistakes and lessons

:eyepop:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

age level: 10 - 18

edit: no really shouldn't there be safeguards against trying to get kids involved in absurd financial ventures?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
i think the writer is anonymous but this is their best guess at his age

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
isnt the oreilly bitcoin book by anton poopoopoop supposed to be out soon?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

FMguru posted:

isnt the oreilly bitcoin book by anton poopoopoop supposed to be out soon?

it's been out since april

edit: oh, you mean the edited and printed version. october

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The five stages of bitcoin:

1) Mining (denial)

2) Gambling / Day Trading (anger)

3) Arbitrage (bargaining)

4) Altcoins (depression)

5) Hodling (acceptance)

parent

[–]googlemaster1 14 points 4 hours ago

Oh mygod. This guy gets it. Here's a gold star /u/changetip

[–]changetip 3 points 4 hours ago

The Bitcoin tip for a gold star (0.979 mBTC/$0.50) has been collected by blackmarble.

StateOwned
Dec 30, 2005

this lane closed
the tipping economy at work

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

continue to describe your genitals using internet-libertarian terminology

Gold fringe. :smug:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol only one of those things actually supports the joke

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is this grown man 6 years old?

http://youtu.be/54Qgo5IbCtA

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

He just got the job of his dreams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W-XHnTjzCg

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

'stop sending us applications every day for 2 years'

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im p. sure hes mentally handicapped

like i dont mean that in a derogatory sense i think hes irl actual brain damaged

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
who posted that

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

robawesome :iamafag:

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

LastInLine posted:

im p. sure hes mentally handicapped

like i dont mean that in a derogatory sense i think hes irl actual brain damaged

oh :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i dont have any actual evidence im just going by his vocabulary his cadence the bitcoins etc

• Locked thread