Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kind of bummed if there isn't an option to do Matchmaking for specific games (i.e Halo 3 and Halo 2), customs are manageable I guess but it would be cool to just play nicer-looking-Halo 3 multiplayer and just that. Oh well, I'm not going to be buying/playing the game for a while anyways

Any idea how they're going to handle player skins? Will the halo 4 and halo 3 skin setups be isolated from each other, or will you end up seeing those weird over-designed 4 skins in 3, and the decent but simple 3 skins in 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MickRaider posted:

Halo 4's good man.

Which is why they are rolling back everything they did in it to basically make 5 a clone of 2?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Neurolimal posted:

Kind of bummed if there isn't an option to do Matchmaking for specific games (i.e Halo 3 and Halo 2), customs are manageable I guess but it would be cool to just play nicer-looking-Halo 3 multiplayer and just that. Oh well, I'm not going to be buying/playing the game for a while anyways

Some of the screenshots indicate that there are separate playlists for each generation for at least some gametypes.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

sunday at work posted:

Which is why they are rolling back everything they did in it to basically make 5 a clone of 2?

And why the playerbase for halo 4 died off at ridiculous rates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

I would be cautious about calling Halo 5 a clone of Halo 2, especially with abilities returning and the various mentions of 'weapon sets'.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Kin posted:

And why the playerbase for halo 4 died off at ridiculous rates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697

If you compare that to halo reach rates they're almost identical.

Also you're kidding yourself if they intend on making Halo 5 a Halo 2 clone. Sure it'll get rid of the crap most people didn't like about Halo 4, but 2? Not by a long shot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

quote:

* Halo 4 lasted a whole two entire months in the Top 3 of the Xbox Live activity chart. Halo 3 didn't fall out of the Top 3 until Halo Reach released - 3 years after it's release. Halo Reach didn't fall out of the Top 3 until 343's title update for the game after they took over the game, 12 months after release.

* Roughly a year after release, Halo 3 had a 1.1 million peak population day. Reach had a 900,000 peak population day after the same amount of time. Halo 4 clocks in at 20,000 peak for it's annual checkup.

I used to be a huge Halo fanboy, you have to accept reality and learn to let it go unless watching people desperately champion a franchise in decline amuses you

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Halo 4 the new SMG Coagulation start confirmed.

Forgive me in advance for quitting when all the children vote for it.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
The Halo 2 Anniversary gameplay videos as re awesome. For those of you guys who have watched the gameplay videos you may have seen loadouts on the screen. Frankie confirmed that all the games actually have EQUAL STARTS (just FYI before anyone flips out when they watch the videos)

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

The Halo 2 Anniversary gameplay videos as re awesome. For those of you guys who have watched the gameplay videos you may have seen loadouts on the screen. Frankie confirmed that all the games actually have EQUAL STARTS (just FYI before anyone flips out when they watch the videos)

He confirmed there will be a mixture of choosing load outs and equal starts, so if there is not a dedicated playlist for equal starts, you're likely going to end up in games a lot of the time where you have the option of choosing various starting weapons.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

MickRaider posted:

If you compare that to halo reach rates they're almost identical.

Also you're kidding yourself if they intend on making Halo 5 a Halo 2 clone. Sure it'll get rid of the crap most people didn't like about Halo 4, but 2? Not by a long shot.

Somebody on GAF made a similar post showing how Halo 4's drop off was the worst of any halo game on xbl. The scale is higher at first due to the huge sales numbers, but reach maintained a much better level for a longer period of time.

Halo MCC brings a lot of stuff to the table, and the beta will draw huge numbers so the populations will be amazing to start. But if there is going to be a chance that Halo 4 gametypes will be mixed in with halo CE gametypes in one playlist, then people just aren't going to play it very long.

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011

Booties posted:

Somebody on GAF made a similar post showing how Halo 4's drop off was the worst of any halo game on xbl. The scale is higher at first due to the huge sales numbers, but reach maintained a much better level for a longer period of time.

Halo MCC brings a lot of stuff to the table, and the beta will draw huge numbers so the populations will be amazing to start. But if there is going to be a chance that Halo 4 gametypes will be mixed in with halo CE gametypes in one playlist, then people just aren't going to play it very long.

Don't you essentially vote on what game you want to play before each match? I don't think they're forcing anyone to play Halo 4.

Either way there is no way a future Halo title reaches the sustained popularity of Halo 3. CoD is simply much bigger at this point, is available on every system, and along with Battlefield gets a new release every year that people flock too.

Making Halo 5 more similar to Halo 2 or 3 would probably satisfy fans like me but I wouldn't bet on it recapturing the undisputed, most poplar console FPS again. It will always sell millions of copies, probably less now because of the unpopularity of the Xbox, but I would bet most people have moved on from having Halo as their go to game. For me, that started with Reach, by far the worst Halo in my book.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah unless you're playing with people who LOVED halo 4, you can assume it won't get voted for very much.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Also remember that, as amazing as Halo 3's sustained playerbase was, when it came out it was basically the only not-totally-broken competitive shooter this side of a PC. There's just too much competition now for any game, even COD, to hold those kinds of numbers.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

LanceKing2200 posted:

Also remember that, as amazing as Halo 3's sustained playerbase was, when it came out it was basically the only not-totally-broken competitive shooter this side of a PC. There's just too much competition now for any game, even COD, to hold those kinds of numbers.

I've said this a bunch but most people just refute and say "Na man, halo 4 is bad, look how many copies they sold and couldn't keep people entertained!"

Basically high sales should = long term gaming, but gamers have really short attention spans and jump on whatever blockbuster game comes out this week.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm with Mick on this one, I mean Black Ops 2 came out 5 days after Halo 4 and right now CoD is the biggest console FPS there is, its not really a competition anymore.

The lay of the land when H3 came versus H4 is like night and day. Really hard to compare the two in regards to numbers and players sustainability.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think H3 had about a year until MW1 hit and no one really knew COD was going to explode like it did. H3 really only had that to compete with, with GoW a very distant third.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

I think H3 had about a year until MW1 hit and no one really knew COD was going to explode like it did. H3 really only had that to compete with, with GoW a very distant third.

They came out the same year actually, MW1 came out a month after Halo 3, thing is while MW1 was very successful the franchise didn't really explode like it did till MW2 which came out in 09.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Emblem customization:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0alwZgEU7JM

Beautiful gameplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS05fe6KUfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGvebf977WU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5NuBpeACVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTptJT4binY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr5IDMQEoCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2qG2F9K-5E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXmD3d5sgjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84F27ZbrPHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuURfAwUYuc

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

i think ill stick with plants vs zomvies garden warefare, until this goes on sale sortry

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

why does the best halo game (halo REACH) not in this collection. wtf.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Oh man, H3 proximity chat. gently caress yes.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I AM THE MOON posted:

why does the best halo game (halo REACH) not in this collection. wtf.

You mean ODST right?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Neo Helbeast posted:

You mean ODST right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

What the gently caress is a Master Chief?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Neo Helbeast posted:

You mean ODST right?

What are you doing? What's wrong with you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

What are you doing? What's wrong with you?

I once played through ODST with a buddy in a single late-night session. He dragged a TV over to my house, we set it up right next to mine and we had a literal Spilt Screen LAN thing going on. So much fun.

ODST is underrated.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Clamps McGraw posted:

Yes, the purchase and extensive usage of lots of videogames is an excellent way to fend off existential angst and you will definitely look back with pride at a life well spent

"And I started to feel, how can you even think of killing yourself. I mean isn't it so stupid? I mean, l-look at all the people up there on the screen. You know, they're real funny, and-and what if the worst is true.

What if there's no God, and you only go around once and that's it. Well, you know, don't you want to be part of the experience? You know, what the hell, it's-it's not all a drag. And I'm thinkin' to myself, geez, I should stop ruining my life - searching for answers I'm never gonna get, and just enjoy it while it lasts. And, you know, after, who knows? I mean, you know, maybe there is something. Nobody really knows. I know, I know maybe is a very slim reed to hang your whole life on, but that's the best we have. "

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

What the gently caress is a Master Chief?

Wikipedia posted:

Master chief petty officer is the ninth, and highest, enlisted rate (pay grade E-9) in the U.S. Navy and U.S. Coast Guard, just above senior chief petty officer.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How much does the Master Chief owe in back taxes from his years "missing?"

He can destroy the covenant all he wants but the IRS? GOOD LUCK

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

jivjov posted:

I once played through ODST with a buddy in a single late-night session. He dragged a TV over to my house, we set it up right next to mine and we had a literal Spilt Screen LAN thing going on. So much fun.

ODST is underrated.

I feel like ODST was the beloved Bungie side project that they somehow convinced MS to let them do, until they just couldn't take MS's poo poo any more and decided ODST 2 would be Destiny.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

How much does the Master Chief owe in back taxes from his years "missing?"

He can destroy the covenant all he wants but the IRS? GOOD LUCK

Halo 5, starring Master Chief and Nicolas Cage.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

These are all of your posts in every Halo thread :(

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing with you again.

because it's the only thing I'm good for since I imbalance the hell out of any customs

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They should have released this poo poo for PC.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Reason posted:

Never say never...

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Reason posted:

i want to believe

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
If Halo 4 was on the PC I'd never use a console again.

Which is why it may never come to the PC

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Radio Talmudist posted:

If Halo 4 was on the PC I'd never use a console again.

Which is why it may never come to the PC

MCC or another new Halo on PC would be the death knell of the XBox.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sunday at work posted:

MCC or another new Halo on PC would be the death knell of the XBox.

I highly doubt that, it would probably be like CoD where they have the least amount of players.

Kewp
Aug 17, 2014

Ape Gone Insane posted:

I haven't played CE and 2 before so those will be new experiences for me. I'm a bit annoyed that they are keeping the glitches in Halo 2 in their attempt to be 'faithful'. The objective game exploits sound horrible and would be inexcusable if found in a game today. At least the ones in Halo 3 got patched.

the glitches (BXR, Doubleshot) where an integral part of the competitive H2 Scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
No Reach and ODST? :wtf: I doubt we will see them down the road unless Halo 5 Guardians of Ga'hoole takes off. It feels like Microsoft is so salty about Bungie leaving they left out the games made after the separation announcement. If I'm remembering things right.

I am liking remasters, though. I guess I'm buying this :cripes:

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread