Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That Carlin sounds like a talk radio host isn't a coincidence because he used to be one, and on his political podcast he's straight up admitted that he does sound like a conspiracy theorist sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Yeah, Dan acknowledges that his voice can sound a little strange. My favorite comment of his regarding this is his response to a tweet about how he sounds like Heath Ledger's Joker. Ever since then, I can't disassociate that connection.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

WDIIA posted:

I can't really put my finger on it. But part of it is because of the high-pitched fast aggressive voice. And part of it is because he takes historical events that I would find completely interesting in a super bland lecture and tries to "up-sell" it with boxing analogies and dramatic pauses and whatever. The end result is that to me, he almost sounds like a stereotypical used car salesman with a gold fake Rolex

Like, I totally get why a ton of people love it but it's just not for me :shobon:

No, that's totally a fair critique, and I think that's probably part of why I was so annoyed by his Cicero-Catiline episode. I had to remind myself that he had been pretty drat fair in his assessments of the Roman Revolution in the other episodes, and he didn't necessarily feel as strongly about rehabilitating Catiline as his delivery might have suggested.

(seriously, though, anybody who tries to rehabilitate Catiline is dumb. History may be written by the victors, but that only goes so far before you realize he was a really bad egg, no matter which way you fry it)

MooselanderII posted:

Yeah, Dan acknowledges that his voice can sound a little strange. My favorite comment of his regarding this is his response to a tweet about how he sounds like Heath Ledger's Joker. Ever since then, I can't disassociate that connection.

Oh dear, now I'm not going to be able to un-hear it. Thanks, jerkwad.:argh:

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 2, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MooselanderII posted:

My favorite comment of his regarding this is his response to a tweet about how he sounds like Heath Ledger's Joker. Ever since then, I can't disassociate that connection.

Did I ever tell you how I got these scars?

It was boxing.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
The "History of Philosophy (Without Any Gaps)" is a fairly ambitious podcast out of King's College London. I like that the podcast is decidedly unpretentious as their goal really does seem to be to make the philosophies and history there of accessible to all. Outside of a few seminal renaissance philosophers, I had an embarrassingly rudimentary understanding of philosophy and I've found this podcast quite informative and entertaining.

Here's a link (navigate by time period in the header bar): http://www.historyofphilosophy.net/

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I began downloading that last week but haven't taken in any episodes yet. Looking forward to it, and will post impressions once I've listened to a few episodes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Dan is great and all but his current schedule of 3-4 hour episodes every 3 months is insane.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Fly McCool posted:

The "History of Philosophy (Without Any Gaps)" is a fairly ambitious podcast out of King's College London. I like that the podcast is decidedly unpretentious as their goal really does seem to be to make the philosophies and history there of accessible to all. Outside of a few seminal renaissance philosophers, I had an embarrassingly rudimentary understanding of philosophy and I've found this podcast quite informative and entertaining.

Here's a link (navigate by time period in the header bar): http://www.historyofphilosophy.net/

It's far less ambitious, but you may also want to consider listening to Philosophize This!

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Also, The Partially Examined Life.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I got about halfway through the entire Wrath of the Khans segment on HH during a 5 hour drive and it made the time fly by. So far it's mostly been "mongols wanted to invade somewhere, if the people put up a fight they got raped and slaughtered, if they surrendered they would only sometimes get raped and slaughtered," but it's still extremely interesting all the same.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

I got about halfway through the entire Wrath of the Khans segment on HH during a 5 hour drive and it made the time fly by. So far it's mostly been "mongols wanted to invade somewhere, if the people put up a fight they got raped and slaughtered, if they surrendered they would only sometimes get raped and slaughtered," but it's still extremely interesting all the same.

Things get a bit more varied when the Mongols start pushing out to other countries besides China.

My favorite being when the European knights first meet the Mongols and Dan makes the analogy that it would be like if a bunch of friends who played pick-up football on the weekends suddenly found themselves playing against the Dallas Cowboys.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I know I'm like two years late to this, but I just listened to the Radiolab about yellow rain in Cambodia, and holy poo poo Robert Krulwich was a tremendous oval office to the Hmong survivor he talked to. The translator was absolutely right in her critique of the nature of his interest in her and her uncle--that nobody gives a poo poo about the massacre of her people and that Radiolab only spoke to them to satisfy a scientific curiosity that cared nothing for their human experience.

Maybe it's just because the show usually pulls that move about wars that have been over for long enough that everyone's dead, but that was cold as hell. Krulwich is usually the humanist countering Abumrad's Gen-X po-mo cynicism, but I was shocked at his reversal here.

Since it was so long ago, I'm guessing everyone got over Radiolab long ago and it's no longer interesting, but I had to say something.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Guess I never heard that episode. I got sick of Radiolab because of the production style.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

I know I'm like two years late to this, but I just listened to the Radiolab about yellow rain in Cambodia, and holy poo poo Robert Krulwich was a tremendous oval office to the Hmong survivor he talked to. The translator was absolutely right in her critique of the nature of his interest in her and her uncle--that nobody gives a poo poo about the massacre of her people and that Radiolab only spoke to them to satisfy a scientific curiosity that cared nothing for their human experience.

Maybe it's just because the show usually pulls that move about wars that have been over for long enough that everyone's dead, but that was cold as hell. Krulwich is usually the humanist countering Abumrad's Gen-X po-mo cynicism, but I was shocked at his reversal here.

Since it was so long ago, I'm guessing everyone got over Radiolab long ago and it's no longer interesting, but I had to say something.

I had a similar reaction. I was surprised that they weren't aware of how their approach might taken as diminishing.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I don't listen to Radiolab myself, but I remember hearing quite a lot about the episode secondhand around the time it debuted. Krulwich issued an apology later on. Just to clear things up, part of the backlash was due to how uncharacteristic this kind of behavior was for the show and its hosts, right? Everything I've heard about Radiolab paints it to be as inquisitive and thoughtful as something like This American Life, so their insensitivity regarding this subject seemed really bizarre to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was turned off Radiolab the first time I listened to one that was on a subject I knew a lot about. I was shocked at how inaccurate and misleading so much of it was, and how they missed the point of the subject entirely. I couldn't help but assume they put as little research and effort into understanding their other subjects as well.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I was turned off Radiolab the first time I listened to one that was on a subject I knew a lot about. I was shocked at how inaccurate and misleading so much of it was, and how they missed the point of the subject entirely. I couldn't help but assume they put as little research and effort into understanding their other subjects as well.

People around the world [ambient crowd sounds] have been drinking [slow chugging sound] coffee for thousands of years [sizzle sound] [sound of coffee pouring] [voice says "Ahhh."].

Coffee [sizzle sound] is farmed [sound of digging and toiling] in some of the poorest countries [trumpet wah wahhh sound] and sold at a premium [cash register closes with a cha-ching sound] in some of the richest countries in the world['We're in the Money' song plays]. I'm Mr. Radiolab. Welcome to Radiolab. [assaults your ears with thousands of sounds in like two seconds]

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yuck, I think you guys have put your finger on why I couldn't stand Dan Carlin's podcasts, I was never quite articulate (or cared) enough to put it into words myself. It also doesn't help that the topics he's covering happpen to be ones that I had already done a fair amount of reading already, and I didn't need somene tell me in such an elaborate and breathless manner that yep, a lot of people sure did die in Stalingrad. That's not the podcast's fault though.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Dan Carlin just tweeted that a new Hardcore History is coming out today.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can't wait, this series is one of my favorites of his so far.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

Yuck, I think you guys have put your finger on why I couldn't stand Dan Carlin's podcasts, I was never quite articulate (or cared) enough to put it into words myself. It also doesn't help that the topics he's covering happpen to be ones that I had already done a fair amount of reading already, and I didn't need somene tell me in such an elaborate and breathless manner that yep, a lot of people sure did die in Stalingrad. That's not the podcast's fault though.

I'm sort of at the point now with regards to WW1, WW2 and Roman stuff where a Carlin podcast wouldn't really tell me anything more that I didn't already know and/or would just be a refresher, but it was his Fall of the Roman Republic series that got me started on this serious history-buff schtick that's still going strong 2 years later, and his one-off episodes like the ones about the Munster Anabaptists or American imperialism at thee turn of the 20th century are still pretty cool because I'd be approaching it from the perspective of someone who knows nothing about the topic at hand. It's just that he also tends to produce episodes so slowly that if it's a series, you can pick up all the reference books he mentions in the liner notes and beat him to the rest of the content directly on top of what you might already know prior.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Cervixalot posted:

People around the world [ambient crowd sounds] have been drinking [slow chugging sound] coffee for thousands of years [sizzle sound] [sound of coffee pouring] [voice says "Ahhh."].

Coffee [sizzle sound] is farmed [sound of digging and toiling] in some of the poorest countries [trumpet wah wahhh sound] and sold at a premium [cash register closes with a cha-ching sound] in some of the richest countries in the world['We're in the Money' song plays]. I'm Mr. Radiolab. Welcome to Radiolab. [assaults your ears with thousands of sounds in like two seconds]

Oh thank god, I thought I was the only person who noticed this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's out and it's four hours long. Almost, but not quite a record for the show, I think.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Random Stranger posted:

It's out and it's four hours long. Almost, but not quite a record for the show, I think.

I think the anabaptist episode was 4 1/2 hours.

Wooo I have to spend a few hours on a train tomorrow, great timing :getin:.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Death Throes 6 was 5.5-6 hours long if I remember correctly.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Malloreon posted:

Death Throes 6 was 5.5-6 hours long if I remember correctly.

Yeap. They were trying to just finish that series in one fell swoop with that beast of an episode.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yess, Revolutions is going to be sticking with France until 1899, which means it'll be following the transitional wars Revolutionary France fought with its neighbors through at least the invasion of Egypt. I can only hope that means we'll touch on the elder Dumas, that guy ruled.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zorak posted:

Yess, Revolutions is going to be sticking with France until 1899, which means it'll be following the transitional wars Revolutionary France fought with its neighbors through at least the invasion of Egypt. I can only hope that means we'll touch on the elder Dumas, that guy ruled.

That's a typo right? Because I think you need a very generous reading to say Revolutionary France lasted until 1899. :v:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Does anyone listen to The Bowery Boys? Because I recently got into them and it's like..Stuff You Missed in History Class, but only focussing on New York and without all the ads. I'm not a New Yorker and I've never been there, but all the history's absolutely great and I think they have a good audio presence.

For me, I think a good audio and vocal presence is almost..more important than the content - because good presentation can lift the content, but if the presentation style is bad, good content really suffers. Also, it's easier to skip content you're not interested in (the title of the podcast is, I dunno, "ancient Greek political systems" and you go "oh..I'd rather listen about the history of the New York film industry, I won't listen to that one") - whereas to know whether or not you like the presentation style...you have to listen to the podcast.
And I really enjoy the slightly flashy style of Radiolab, and I know it's probably just my taste.

On the other hand, I tried to listen to Investigating Film Noir, and while I'm sure the presenters are lovely people, and seemed very knowledgable on the subject, they had poor audio presence. Their presentation was dry and unengaging as all hell.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree completely, both in general and about Radiolab in particular. I stopped listening to it when I saw tons of people saying it was really inaccurate, but I love the presentation. If the hosts and presentation style are too dry and/or unengaging then I'd just as soon read about it myself or watch/listen to something else about it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Antti posted:

That's a typo right? Because I think you need a very generous reading to say Revolutionary France lasted until 1899. :v:

D'oh, yeah, I meant 1799. Stupidly, I actually caught that typo when making that post, then apparently made it immediately against when "fixing" it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Cervixalot posted:

It reminds me of trying to watch any Discovery Channel/History Channel type show made in the last decade. It seems like 5 uninterrupted seconds is just too long for people to sit still anymore. For people with ADHD, it's really hard to watch/listen to that style without getting anxious and irritated. I'm more into Hardcore History's rambling style.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I once watched Abandoned America, and the voiceover for the programme was like..an American dramatic Don LaFontaine style trailer voiceover. For the whole 50 minute TV programme. Now that's distracting.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

FordPRefectLL posted:

I'm not an emotional guy by any means, and it made me cry. Some moving stuff in there.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

RagingBoner posted:

I'm not an emotional guy by any means, and it made me cry. Some moving stuff in there.

Yep, amazing episode. He found a ton of great quotes and his delivery is just perfect.

I haven't hear the Fitzgerald quote before and Churchill's description of the battlefield was new to me too. The time Dan needs to do the research for this show really pays off.

I don't even care about naval battles but I absolutely loved his description of the battle of Jütland.

Can't wait for the next episode!

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

What's amazing is that his delivery is so natural and unscripted, which is true because he doesn't use a script, that so many idiots believe he just gets off the couch on the last day and bangs out a Hardcore History episode in one try.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It was a great episode and I think he set a new record for number of boxing analogies in a single episode.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Next episode will be nothing but boxing analogies.
It'll be his best one yet.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Nah, the best one will be about the history of boxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I never expected to be emotionally moved while listening to a podcast but honestly when Dan read that letter from the guy on the front at the Somme to his wife and infant daughter I did tear up. You listen to hours of how utterly horrifying the world was at that place and point in time and then you hear something so deeply humanizing and dang does it hurt.