Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of retro-futuristic, has anything more happened with Routine?

They did a small update recently, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Haunting Ground, for all the faults it had I think actually had your stalkers track you in real time. I don't think they teleported.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

soggybagel posted:

You followed nearly the same behavior with Colonial Marines and even after the game came out and we all were faced with a steaming pile of poo poo you were oddly reticent to concede that the game was poo poo.
Actually he recently replayed Colonial Marines and just last week posted in its thread that age made the game way better and it's actually fun now and totally worth getting for $20 or so. This is just something that can't be cured but he should at least wait until the new game releases or for him to maybe get to play it a bit himself to furiously defend it and create these imaginary scenarios making all the concerns invalid but ehhh what can you do. Apparently we all just don't understand how betas/demos/game development/actual developers' brains work like he does.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
I think something else they should have done was not make the alien go after and kill you 100% of the time you run or make any sort of noise whatsoever. It then becomes more of a simple gimmick than anything scary, it becomes a game of Don't Wake Daddy.

I would have rather they followed similar behavior in the film. When you think about it, it's possible it only killed Brett because he came to the area it was hiding in and was hungry (it had just finished growing up after all). It does come after Dallas, but only kills him when he's practically face to face with it. Parker attacks the alien so you could almost argue it defended itself, and Lambert, well...not sure really what happened there. You could also even argue Ripley only got attacked because she blasted whatever at the alien and made it 'wake up' out of it's sleepy hidey hole. Hell she even gets right in it's face and the alien not only doesn't kill her, it reveals itself to her in what seems to be a "stop invading my personal space" move!

So if these scenarios played out in Alien: Isolation; Ripley, Parker, and Brett would have gotten killed instantly when they (loudly) opened the locker and the cat escaped. When Dallas is in the air shafts, the alien would hear his loud talking and teleport behind him and rip his head off. Ripley would have been killed as soon as she started running anywhere in the ship. All of the characters would have been killed ten times over if it followed Alien: Isolation rules.

Not quite as fun. :( The alien in Isolation seems to be killing for the sake of killing, without motives or needs, or any thought process whatsoever. It's been reduced to a lame gimmick, a true 'monster' in cheesy 80's horror film style.

They should have looked more at a stealthy approach. I mean this alien surely doesn't know what its human prey are capable of, what weaponry they may have, and it doesn't have huge numbers to back it up. So it's survival should be number one priority, and you wouldn't survive on a space station filled with crazy humans (who have guns for some reason), killer androids, and the player character by being an omniscient presence, dumbly drawn out any time someone drops a loving wrench or knocks over a teacup.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 18, 2014

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glitchkrieg posted:

Weird, I thought he said that it is in fact a game with good atmosphere but frustrating mechanics based on what he'd played.
Straight from the article:

quote:

Alien: Isolation is better than Aliens: Colonial Marines. Let's get that out of the way. There's been all sorts of talk from people saying, "I don't want to play Isolation because Colonial Marines was garbage." That's silly. They're different games. Obviously I can't vouch for the entire game right now, so I won't. What I've played though? It's good. Not incredible, but it's not a train wreck of a game like Colonial Marines.
Reading comprehension is harrrdddddd. :saddowns:

quote:

You're working really hard to apologize for a game that (as far as I can tell) you haven't even played yet. Any minor complaint is met with apologizing and pointing out what we all know.
No, it's just balancing out the doom-and-gloom naysayers who are acting like this is going to be Colonial Marines 2: Now Even Shittier. We've got people here saying "the Alien teleports, 0/10 shittiest Alien game ever made, what a loving disappointment goddamnit why can't they make a good Alien game" and then citing a gameinformer article that specifically says that comparisons to Colonial Marines are retarded as "evidence" that it's in fact going to be an objectively bad, unfun trainwreck of a game. I'm trying to take a more measured approach that yes, while there's clearly frustrating, "cheap" gameplay elements that are worth recognizing, maybe, just maybe, they're handled better in the final game and we shouldn't condemn the game to death just yet.

Here's a 20 minute video where the commentator makes similar similar statements about the game very early in the video, that it's got some questionable choices (good atmosphere, sometimes frustrating Alien AI) but on the whole what he played is in fact a good game. Oh, and he played it for 6 hours.

soggybagel posted:

HISTORY is working against this game. A lot of the alien based games have not been particularly good. Sorry but its true. Before you mount an 8000 word treatise about why each Alien Vs. Predator game was a hidden gem and that Alien Trilogy on PS1 revealed new and fascinating ideas we can just jump to the end and say that a lot of alien games aren't as good as they should be.
That's the thing, this isn't true and I already wrote an 8000-word treatise a bunch of pages back when someone said the same thing, and a bunch of people chimed in and said "ya'know, he's right". "Not as good as they should be"? Okay, maaaaaybe, but that's more than a little vague and subjective, but the "good" Alien/AvP games absolutely outnumber the bad ones by a pretty big margin, and it's been that way for years. People have PTSD because Colonial Marines was bad and AvP2010 wasn't as good as they'd hoped (but it still wasn't a "bad game").

KiddieGrinder posted:

Not quite as fun. :( The alien in Isolation seems to be killing for the sake of killing, without motives or needs, or any thought process whatsoever. It's been reduced to a lame gimmick, a true 'monster' in cheesy 80's horror film style.

They should have looked more at a stealthy approach. I mean this alien surely doesn't know what its human prey are capable of, what weaponry they may have, and it doesn't have huge numbers to back it up. So it's survival should be number one priority, and you wouldn't survive on a space station filled with crazy humans (who have guns for some reason), killer androids, and the player character by being an omniscient presence, dumbly drawn out any time someone drops a loving wrench or knocks over a teacup.
This is a good point, and the 20-minute video I linked talks about it a bit. He said that the Alien doesn't come running every time you reveal your presence, and that works both for and against you. Sometimes the Alien doesn't mug you instantly, but also you can use noise-maker traps to try and "lure" the Alien out to kill other enemies and sometimes the Alien doesn't take the bait.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 18, 2014

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

Reading comprehension is harrrdddddd. :saddowns:

And it's easy enough to pick another quote from the same article which backs up exactly what I said.

I eagerly await your essay in response.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

glitchkrieg posted:

And it's easy enough to pick another quote from the same article which backs up exactly what I said.

I eagerly await your essay in response.
I never disputed that the article's author said it had frustrating gameplay elements. Are you disputing that he said it was a good game despite them?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the game is poo poo and eat a dick if you disagree, fucker

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Cynicism is a healthy response for consumers to a new entry in a series with such a garbage track record as Alien. There doesn't need to be anyone to balance out the doom and gloom, because there is a very real chance the game will be garbage based on previous entries.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
'Reading comprehension is hard' would be a lot more effective of a burn if it wasn't coming from a grown man whose sole literary consumption seems to be Aliens Vs. Mortal Kombat comic books and Lance Henriksen themed Topps Trading Cards.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Control Volume posted:

the game is poo poo and eat a dick if you disagree, fucker
gently caress no this game is the next coming of Christ, if you don't agree you're objectively wrong and going to hell.

Blister posted:

there is a very real chance the game will be garbage based on previous entries.
You realize this is an amazingly retarded position to have, and the gameinformer article specifically calls it out as retarded, right?
It's a different game in a different genre made by a different developer, and we've got a bunch of people who played it for hours saying "it's a good game with questionable design decisions, but the full game could fix them and even if it doesn't it'd still be a good game."
Really the worst you could say about the game at this point is that it has the potential to be amazing, and instead it's merely "good".

How is that garbage, exactly?

Dan Didio posted:

'Reading comprehension is hard' would be a lot more effective of a burn if it wasn't coming from a grown man whose sole literary consumption seems to be Aliens Vs. Mortal Kombat comic books and Lance Henriksen themed Topps Trading Cards.
This sick burn would be more effective if it were true. :) you realize the bulk of my rampant over the top Alien fanboyism is exaggerated for effect, right? None of the Alien movies are anywhere near my top 10 movies of all time, and Alien books constitute a really small chunk of the actual no-foolin' literature I read.

And for the record I've met Lance Henriksen and he is a super-cool dude. :colbert:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Extreme scepticism is a good thing for an upcoming game and not bad. Getting hyped is what destroys game experiences and not the other way round. It's good that people point out big flaws because if they're loud enough maybe it will get to the devs in some way. This product really doesn't need defending it at every single step, your fury in writing paragraph after paragraph on why these problems are actually features is loving ridiculous.

And if you want to talk about retarded things then let's talk about how with every new wave of news about the game your initial wild vision of what the game could be is shrinking and how happy you are about the disappointment every time.

Wow maybe the ship will be completely open with the Alien freely wandering around and interacting with you and other enemies, how cool this game could be, so much potential.

Oh, that isn't the case, the game is cut into levels? That's even cooler, maybe the levels will have like dozens of different approaches to them, with closed controlled environments that would be great for really tense gameplay.

Oh, the levels are linear and only offer like a couple of things to do? That's way better than I expected, now this poo poo will be tense and have even more direction - being closed with a really smart dynamic AI monster in a room will be amazing when you sweat while trying to outwit it.

Oh, the Alien just teleports where the devs tell it to and has no actual environment awareness, just scripts that tell it to head straight for the player when he makes a sound because of cluncky controls? Hell yesss that's what I was waiting for, this is way better than obviously tedious alternatives, I get the devs' vision.

Etc. etc. it's a riot and why people don't take you seriously anymore. drat, take it down a notch because :psyduck:.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 18, 2014

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
its okay xenomrph

i still love you

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Just put that big doofus on ignore, he's like the SMG of Games, but thankfully he only ruins a very small subset of threads.

A teleporting alien is a terrible idea. The levels should be logical and make sense. Why not just design multiple pathways, airducts and such and use its own pathing to get where it wants to be? Hell, give the player who finds a floorplan or studies an advantage of knowing how it can get to places. It's not that hard.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

Extreme scepticism is a good thing for an upcoming game and not bad. Getting hyped is what destroys game experiences and not the other way round. It's good that people point out big flaws because if they're loud enough maybe it will get to the devs in some way. This product really doesn't need defending it at every single step, your fury in writing paragraph after paragraph on why these problems are actually features is loving ridiculous.
Yeah except I haven't said they're not problems, I'm just countering the people who are saying it's an objectively Bad Game because of reasons, even when we've got people who played the game saying "yes it has issues, but it's still a good game and anyone expecting another Colonial Marines is retarded".

That 20-minute gameplay vid also mentions that the 6 hours he played had some seemingly nonlinear segments, for what it's worth.

Skepticism is fine, but let's at least be realistic about it. If people are going to cite articles as "proof" that the game is a turd, it doesn't do them any favors when those very articles specifically say it's a good game despite its problems.

There's plenty to legitimately complain about - the 20 minute video points out that powering up every door before you can use it gets pretty old, and that while the environments all fit the aesthetic, they start feeling very same-ey because of it. That might bother some people more than others I guess - I loved Dead Space for having a good variety of environments despite the unified aesthetic, and that was something that, say, Wolfenstein The New Order didn't do as good a job at.
If someone just can't get enough of the Alien set designs then it might not bother them as much, but I'd personally like a bit more variety.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Palpek posted:

And if you want to talk about retarded things then let's talk about how with every new wave of news about the game your initial wild vision of what the game could be is shrinking and how happy you are about the disappointment every time.

Wow maybe the ship will be completely open with the Alien freely wandering around and interacting with you and other enemies, how cool this game could be, so much potential.

Oh, that isn't the case, the game is cut into levels? That's even cooler, maybe the levels will have like dozens of different approaches to them, with closed controlled environments that would be great for really tense gameplay.

Oh, the levels are linear and only offer like a couple of things to do? That's way better than I expected, now this poo poo will be tense and have even more direction - being closed with a really smart dynamic AI monster in a room will be amazing when you sweat while trying to outwit it.

Oh, the Alien just teleports where the devs tell it to and has no actual environment awareness, just scripts that tell it to head straight for the player when he makes a sound because of cluncky controls? Hell yesss that's what I was waiting for, this is way better than obviously tedious alternatives, I get the devs' vision.

Etc. etc. it's a riot and why people don't take you seriously anymore. drat, take it down a notch because :psyduck:.

Wait till he hears its an on-rails shooter. With no gun.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
We all want this game to transcend the genre shackles and be a harrowing journey through a franchise we all love.

You don't have to fight for this game. We wouldn't be posting in this thread if we didn't think it COULD be good.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Wait till he hears its an on-rails shooter. With no gun.

That's nothing. In a bid to secure some more development money Alien: Isolation now provides support for the Alien Franchise to integrate with Star Citizen.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
This game is awful and will suck worse then colonial marines because you fight robuts and the alien has a loose tooth.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
The truth is Xenomorph has been infected by a Face-hugger and that's what is loving with his synapses.

Opinions can't be trusted.

QED

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

No, it's just balancing out the doom-and-gloom naysayers who are acting like this is going to be Colonial Marines 2: Now Even Shittier. We've got people here saying "the Alien teleports, 0/10 shittiest Alien game ever made, what a loving disappointment goddamnit why can't they make a good Alien game" and then citing a gameinformer article that specifically says that comparisons to Colonial Marines are retarded as "evidence" that it's in fact going to be an objectively bad, unfun trainwreck of a game. I'm trying to take a more measured approach that yes, while there's clearly frustrating, "cheap" gameplay elements that are worth recognizing, maybe, just maybe, they're handled better in the final game and we shouldn't condemn the game to death just yet.

[citation needed] on those "worst game ever" posts, and please don't quote joke posts.

The game is out in less than two months, all they've shown us is disappointment and let us PLAY in that disappointment, yet you're somehow delusional as to the final game being somehow different, why? You really think the final product is going to change? The game is probably gold at this point and hitting mass distribution.

Xenomrph posted:

That's the thing, this isn't true and I already wrote an 8000-word treatise a bunch of pages back when someone said the same thing, and a bunch of people chimed in and said "ya'know, he's right". "Not as good as they should be"? Okay, maaaaaybe, but that's more than a little vague and subjective, but the "good" Alien/AvP games absolutely outnumber the bad ones by a pretty big margin, and it's been that way for years. People have PTSD because Colonial Marines was bad and AvP2010 wasn't as good as they'd hoped (but it still wasn't a "bad game").

There's 34 Alien games, given that AVP2, AVP2010 (decent enough) and the Capcom beat'em up are the only good ones that gives us 3. People praise Trilogy so let's make it an even 4. So much for outnumbering huh?

Xenomrph posted:

He said that the Alien doesn't come running every time you reveal your presence

Strange because that's that it did exactly in both demos at SDCC.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

soggybagel posted:

We all want this game to transcend the genre shackles and be a harrowing journey through a franchise we all love.

You don't have to fight for this game. We wouldn't be posting in this thread if we didn't think it COULD be good.
You know, I can agree with this.

Look, I don't want this thread to be all antagonistic. I apologize if my "zealotry" made this thread un-fun. I understand a lot of the criticisms people are bringing up, and I agree that it's unfortunate that a lot of the "promises" about the game having a procedurally driven AI Alien in nonlinear levels appear to be largely bullshit.

I've got my own nitpicks, the "environments all look the same" complaint bothers me since the environments were one of the things I was looking forward to the most. Even in the movie, the Nostromo managed to have distinct environments.
We'll see how it turns out in the final game.

I guess for me, a lot of those nitpicks and broken promises are hardly dealbreakers. They're unfortunate, and they hold the game back from being as good as it could be. I guess we'll see how the game turns out.

SireOblivion, if you really want me to go through the Alien games I guess I could do it, but you forgot a bunch. Off the top of my head, AvPClassic, AvP Jaguar, Aliens arcade, Alien3 SNES, Alien Infestation, Alien Resurrection (wonky controls aside), AvP Extinction (fun to play, lacked some critical features that killed it's replayability), AvP Evolution.
What were those bad ones again? Other than Colonial Marines and AvPSNES.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

Straight from the article:

This is a good point, and the 20-minute video I linked talks about it a bit. He said that the Alien doesn't come running every time you reveal your presence, and that works both for and against you. Sometimes the Alien doesn't mug you instantly, but also you can use noise-maker traps to try and "lure" the Alien out to kill other enemies and sometimes the Alien doesn't take the bait.

This seems like awful design. Games that aren't consistent with their stealth usually suck.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Palpek posted:

Also of course it's a demo/beta/promo level etc. and things can change for the final release. Everybody understands that, no need for disclaimers.

I can't believe people still fall for that line. It's a great 'get out of jail free' card whenever people start noticing a bunch of problems with a game before launch, but it never ever changes when the game in question is released

Sometimes the final product is even worse e.g. Watch Dogs and Dark Souls 2

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

I guess for me, a lot of those nitpicks and broken promises are hardly dealbreakers. They're unfortunate, and they hold the game back from being as good as it could be. I guess we'll see how the game turns out.

And this is the problem. As much as everyone else in this thread loves the design and look revealed so far, as has pretty much every person who's played a preview, the actual game mechanics are dealbreakers.

I used to be a massive Aliens/Predator dork when I was a teenager, enough to rival your zealotry. I still have bits of my collection at home. I built an AVP mod for Quake with a mate, even trying to imitate the design of the Nostromo as much as we could back then. I'd love to be surprised by this game but there has been nothing to suggest that the game will vary massively from the complaints already levelled at it and has been suggested above, it's probably already gone gold.

I had to build some lovely Flash games for a Unilever kids site once and the designers had put together the design for one of the games - the user had to assemble an object in the right way and in the right order. A single mistake sent them back to the beginning. I had to point out that, after doing the maths, there were something like 40,000+ ways of failing the game and only one correct path. People don't want to play a game where you have to brute force your way through a problem like that because it's not a game, it's just frustration with graphics.

From that one particular preview it doesn't seem that Isolation is that much different - except that it has scripted cutscenes to delay you even further from overcoming each obstacle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the hype for this reminds me of that The Thing game from years ago where they went on about using blood tests to affect your trust levels and how who was an alien would be random and you'd never really know who to trust. Then it turned out most encounters were scripted and you could literally get a negative test a few seconds before you hit a 'one of your team is an alien' flag and have them turn out to be one.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah that's not really saying too much for you dude, an Alien game could require a microtransaction every time you launch it and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for you.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Sakurazuka posted:

All the hype for this reminds me of that The Thing game from years ago where they went on about using blood tests to affect your trust levels and how who was an alien would be random and you'd never really know who to trust. Then it turned out most encounters were scripted and you could literally get a negative test a few seconds before you hit a 'one of your team is an alien' flag and have them turn out to be one.

I'm pretty sure every single team member reveal in that game was scripted. It was garbage.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Dan Didio posted:

I'm pretty sure every single team member reveal in that game was scripted. It was garbage.

Not quite that bad but close: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-04-the-making-of-the-thing

quote:

"NPCs could be infected in battles with the aliens or by being left alone with an infected squad member," explains Curtis, "but sometimes we had to script an infection to remove an NPC from play due to technical and design constraints." Curtis admits this was a 'big mistake' with many players inevitably feeling cheated as fellow soldiers, tested moments earlier and proven genuinely human, could suddenly sprout more tentacles than a Japanese restaurant and attack the player. Diarmid Campbell also recalls the conflicting infection concept.

I still enjoyed that game to be honest but I really loving loved The Thing. I wish someone would make a Thing game without combat where you're just trying to work out who is human and survive. Oh well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Organs posted:

I can't believe people still fall for that line. It's a great 'get out of jail free' card whenever people start noticing a bunch of problems with a game before launch, but it never ever changes when the game in question is released

This. Clearly labelled alpha/beta concept footage is one thing. But your Demonstration of the game should be taken to be indicative of the final product barring final-month spit and polish.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Not quite that bad but close: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-04-the-making-of-the-thing

I still enjoyed that game to be honest but I really loving loved The Thing. I wish someone would make a Thing game without combat where you're just trying to work out who is human and survive. Oh well.

The Thing game was cool until the human enemies showed up, they were distinctly unfun to fight.

The game had a lot of ambitious ideas about trust and infection, and then just didn't have the tech to fully deliver on them. I'd love to see a sort of modern remake, I think it could deliver on a lot of those ideas better.
Incidentally, the randomized infections and "realistic" trust AI is still present in the PC version's game coding and can be enabled with some hex editing, but it renders the game unbeatable because all the mission-critical NPCs end up either infected or turning on you and you're forced to kill them.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

blackguy32 posted:

This seems like awful design. Games that aren't consistent with their stealth usually suck.
I'd be ok with an unpredictable but consistent, physically present Alien. A possibility that it could actually turn and not stick to set patrol paths would be great if there was a certain reaction window allowed for the player (as in, you see it changing direction and if you react immediatelly you're still able to hide). However unpredictable behavior combined with teleporting and insta-death is a really terrible idea.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Organs posted:

And especially when it comes to level design, demos are just chunks of the game ripped out and sewn together (if it's multiple chunks) and never get changed. We haven't played purpose build levels, just select parts of the final game.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Xenomrph, I'm going to roleplay Weyland-Yutani in Civ: Beyond Earth. Please PM me, I need all of your extensive Alien official canon to be the perfect evil megacorp tia

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It is a bit worrisome if the Alien teleports around. Didn't they announce this game claiming the alien was going to have really amazing AI and it would realistically stalk and surprise you?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

It is a bit worrisome if the Alien teleports around. Didn't they announce this game claiming the alien was going to have really amazing AI and it would realistically stalk and surprise you?

Well, let's be honest, a "realistic" Alien from the game universe would murder every person that plays the game within seconds if it's hungry. Plot Armor is the only thing that ever protects anyone in the movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

The alien was smarter than the humans, so they died.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Realistically it was never going to be that, so it teleporting around is not surprising at all. It's a linear game; I expect it to work pretty much exactly like Amnesia, which means there'll be designated areas where it stalks around and then there'll be scripted encounters along the way and in-between. It's not going to be some revolution in AI design, it's a licensed game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hakkesshu posted:

Realistically it was never going to be that, so it teleporting around is not surprising at all. It's a linear game; I expect it to work pretty much exactly like Amnesia, which means there'll be designated areas where it stalks around and then there'll be scripted encounters along the way and in-between. It's not going to be some revolution in AI design, it's a licensed game.
The thing is that it apparently teleports within these linear sections unlike Amnesia's monster. That's the whole point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt there, because it's impossible to prove how a system like that works without the game being done/actually playing it, but if true that would pretty much ruin the whole concept.

• Locked thread