Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Okay, thank you! I missed that small paragraph. I'm trying to work my way around these rules before I start making DE lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Safety Factor posted:

There's definitely blue Eldar. Alaitoc's scheme is mostly blue with a yellow helmet and their main gimmick is a bunch of rangers. Or was. They don't have special rules like that anymore, only Iyanden has gotten a supplement so far.

Oh they still do. You just have to take the horrible, horrible Ranger Phoenix Lord and then you can buy Rangers that can allocate their sniper shots for the low, low price of 25 points apiece. No more disruption table.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Direwolf posted:

Oh they still do. You just have to take the horrible, horrible Ranger Phoenix Lord and then you can buy Rangers that can allocate their sniper shots for the low, low price of 25 points apiece. No more disruption table.

I... I like Illic. :smith: He costs more than he probably should and his abilities are often middling and his "super-dangerous" gun still only wounds 50% of the time, but he's a really cool guy and he even has Preferred Enemy and stuff because his fluff actually has two big themes to it, which is to say one and a half more themes than most 40K characters get! And yeah, 25pts for T3 models is... not exactly exciting.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Master Twig posted:

I hate look out sir. Especially with independent characters.

There's a guy at my FLGS that runs a squad with Coteaz (T3), Brother Corbulo (T4), Draigo (T5) and Mephiston (T6). If Mephiston gets Iron Arm, which he usually does, shooting at the squad counts as T9, since they're all different and it goes to the highest on a tie. If the shot is strength 7 or less, he look out sirs all wounds to Corbulo, who feel no pains it away on a 2+. S8 or S9, he puts it on Draigo for an invuln. T10 it goes on Mephiston. With Psychic Power shenanigans it's almost impossible to kill that squad. Basically, I just ignore the squad and try to kill everything else on the field.

Isn't Mephiston a monstrous creature? I thought they couldn't join units.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

Isn't Mephiston a monstrous creature? I thought they couldn't join units.

No, he's just a character, minus the Independent part.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Fix posted:

No, he's just a character, minus the Independent part.

So this means I could have been joining Draigo with Crowe for the last few months. Im real bad at this game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

serious gaylord posted:

So this means I could have been joining Draigo with Crowe for the last few months. Im real bad at this game.

Everyone is real bad at this game. It is because it is a bad game, so we're all cool.

But to answer your question, yes, you could have, because RAW is poo poo. They spent a few year-apart editions introducing this difference between ICs and normal characters and creating this classification of characters who were apart from all normal IC rules and then basically forgot about it. It's the dumbest loving thing. Lazy as gently caress.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 18, 2014

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Quoting myself because blue Eldar are the best Eldar.

I'd say so long as you make them bright, it's hard to do Eldar wrong.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nice! I also got some shots from the first game. Most of them came out like dog poo poo, but the shake reduction filter in photoshop was able to salvage a few of them.

The table, pre-game:

The action, during the game:

The mission we played was "The Relic," and ANAmal.net and I wrecked house despite some poor armor pen rolls in the first turn of the game. Bjorn was taken out by a meltagun in the building in the center, while my Vindicator made easy work of several squads. My assault squad mostly hung back until it was time to snag the relic, and that's when they dropped into the building. Meanwhile, ANAmal's Deathwing dropped in and took care of a potentially problematic squad of Wolf Guard Terminators. All in all, A Good Win.

I'm really proud of the table but now I need to finish more scenery so we can make the battlefield a little more varied from game to game. Next up: Skyshield Landing pad and a few more buildings.

Nice!

The highpoint of the second game was either losing 2 bikes to overwatching meltaguns, or my drunk idiot teammate thinking that twin-linked doubled your number of shots.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can see them releasing Biel-Tan if they ever get around to revamping the aspect warriors just to give people a reason to buy the new models, but since they're going on 20 years now I wouldn't expect anything soon. Saim-Hann got baked into the vanilla rules, same as Alaitoc for the most part. Though I can see an Alaitoc sniper formation giving a disruption table.

Aside from warp spiders and shining spears, all the aspects were resculpted for 3E, and some of them were redone again for 4E.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the accepted wisdom on Shining Spears as a unit? My Autarch is kitted out as one and he's frankly terrifying on the charge. Are they as good as I want to believe they are, or is that just wishful thinking?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

zeal posted:

What's the accepted wisdom on Shining Spears as a unit? My Autarch is kitted out as one and he's frankly terrifying on the charge. Are they as good as I want to believe they are, or is that just wishful thinking?

You're paying a lot of points per model for a single S6 AP3 shot at 6" and two S6 AP3 attacks on the charge. Remember, if you don't kill what you're charging in that turn, you're now attacking with a single S3 AP- hit because of the Impact rule.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sykic posted:

You're paying a lot of points per model for a single S6 AP3 shot at 6" and two S6 AP3 attacks on the charge. Remember, if you don't kill what you're charging in that turn, you're now attacking with a single S3 AP- hit because of the Impact rule.

But with a unit the Exarch can take Hit-and-Run as one of his powers along with his three WS5 S8 AP2 attacks. Fire, charge, and skip away over intervening terrain!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Sykic posted:

And your strong low-AP fire will make your subsequent charge a lot harder, unless you are shooting at terminators or MCs. It's not as bad for Eldar who have Fleet, but I have a beef with missing charges because you did too well at shooting that unit in the previous phase. One easy way to make melee more reliable would be to only remove models who die from shooting after a charge is declared and measured but before overwatch. You assault positions, after all, not the first guy in line.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

$90 on Ebay? Don't mind if I do

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
How many helmets are in a Guardian box?

I just assembled 36 Guardians for my brother and there is exactly one helmet missing (neither of us like the bare heads).

It's one of the old school boxes of 16 and the contemporary version of 8 dudes + heavy weapon team.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nice! I also got some shots from the first game. Most of them came out like dog poo poo, but the shake reduction filter in photoshop was able to salvage a few of them.

The table, pre-game:

The action, during the game:

The mission we played was "The Relic," and ANAmal.net and I wrecked house despite some poor armor pen rolls in the first turn of the game. Bjorn was taken out by a meltagun in the building in the center, while my Vindicator made easy work of several squads. My assault squad mostly hung back until it was time to snag the relic, and that's when they dropped into the building. Meanwhile, ANAmal's Deathwing dropped in and took care of a potentially problematic squad of Wolf Guard Terminators. All in all, A Good Win.

I'm really proud of the table but now I need to finish more scenery so we can make the battlefield a little more varied from game to game. Next up: Skyshield Landing pad and a few more buildings.

This is a real nice setup you got here, that game sounds like it was a ton of fun.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Was it this thread who had the guy who made his own tokens? I'm really interested in doing it and I have no idea where to start when it comes to correctly sizing the markers on my computer to fit onto a 40mm base :ohdear:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I guess this is a good place to ask; does anyone know if any company makes big transparent oval bases like you would get in a riptide or stormtalon kit?

I thought about casting one myself with two part clear resin, but effoooooooooort and moooooooney....

edit; nvm http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/accessories/flight_stand_type2

Moola fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

zeal posted:

In my opinion they are a reasonable, if not amazing, unit; the biggest strike against them is that the FA slot is so filled with other excellent units you're hard-pressed to really want to field them over something else. If so inclined, however, they aren't too expensive and do at least come with Skilled Rider and a nice combination shooting/melee weapon. (Be careful about putting yourself out of charge range, though.) WS4 and one attack can be big limiters on their damage output, unfortunately, and they are one of the few units where I think taking the Exarch is almost compulsory because you cannot afford to get locked in combat with something. So you'll want ~6 models, maybe more if you wanna go crazy with them, the Exarch with Hit and Run and probably the Star Lance as well. Alternately, leading them with an Autarch could also work, maybe using something like Faolchu's Wing or the like for some cover save shenanigans (remember that all models in the unit will benefit from Skilled Rider if at least one model has the rule.)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sykic posted:

I'd say so long as you make them bright, it's hard to do Eldar wrong.

Bright Eldar colors do look great, but does anyone know of some nice dusty, dirty or even grubby Eldar models anyone has done? I'm slowly building my Eldar army mainly as something just a little different than the other stuff I have, which is muted and dirty, but also different than every other bright Eldar army I've seen. Someone posted a picture of a battle-worn Eldar tank recently and that looked really cool, and it's given me ideas.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Master Twig posted:

He does the diamond formation, yes. Usually Draigo is out front since there's very little that can instantly kill him, and he can pass wounds on a 2+ no problem. Most wounds he passes on to Corbulo for the 3+/2+. Oh yeah, he also runs a Knight with this squad sometimes.

Why does he do that? How is it remotely fun for anyone involved!?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

HardCoil posted:

Why does he do that? How is it remotely fun for anyone involved!?

Building a strong list and competing against other people with it can be fun for the same reasons that people enjoy competition in other endeavors; I hardly think there's anything strange about that. It can be enjoyable to come up with a crazy combination or army and it can be fun to defeat such an army, just as a hard-fought sports match can be fun for both sides, when or lose. The caveat, of course, is that both players have to want that from the match, and if they don't then obviously it's not going to be any fun just as if one person wants to an extremely limited narrative scenario and the other doesn't, that won't be any fun either.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That doesn't even sound strong, that's just a really slow and stupid deathstar. If it ever splits up so it can actually do damage to multiple targets, those ICs aren't hard to take out on their own.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

That doesn't even sound strong, that's just a really slow and stupid deathstar. If it ever splits up so it can actually do damage to multiple targets, those ICs aren't hard to take out on their own.

They'd also probably get dragged down with a large fearless blob, or at least bogged down for a few turns. It's all about tying up a deathstar, not killing it, and if you can keep it occupied for a while as you kill the rest of their poo poo then you're probably fine.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Business Gorillas posted:

Was it this thread who had the guy who made his own tokens? I'm really interested in doing it and I have no idea where to start when it comes to correctly sizing the markers on my computer to fit onto a 40mm base :ohdear:

Pretty sure that was Indolent Bastard, not sure if it was in this thread. I followed his example and made some tokens that I am super pleased with. I bought a big bag of 20mm acrylic squares from litko. I then used Aleene's Glass and Bead adhesive to attach printouts to the squares. Later on I bought some 1in glass domes and made some more tokens out of them the same way. I also had some 60mm flight bases from litko that they had to replace because the holes were to big in the center, rather than throw them out, I made them in to objective markers.

Here is what they all look like:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Business Gorillas posted:

Yup that was me. What is your question exactly?

E: If its just a size question, my answer is photoshop and lots of test printing.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 18, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

SRM posted:

It really isn't. I brought it up more as an example of look out sir shenanigans than as something broken.

LoS should really only be a 5+ on characters and 4 on ICs. Also, precision shot should bypass it. But that's just my opinion. (From someone who mainly plays Tyranids and thus doesn't benefit from it. )

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So there is a local 1850 tourney at the end of the month its got a couple restrictions, no LoW over 600, can only take one formation, has to be battleforged.
Its not an extremely competitive meta up here but its not the softest either, I'm expecting to see a Knight in more than a few of the lists.
So far I'm looking at

230 Flyrant
85 Malanthrope
195 Tervigon
120 Termagaunts x30
155 Crone
565 Barbed Heirodule
Living Artillery Formation
170 exocrine
120 Biovores x3
100 warrior brood w/ barbed strangler

It sits at 1740, I'm thinking a Zoanthrope and a Venomthrope and something else to fill it in. Any advice?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Just signed up for the WH40k: Armageddon - PC beta here. I guess it's trying to be a close adaptation of the tabletop game, which is what I've been looking for forever. Is there anything out there that comes close?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Helmholz posted:

Just signed up for the WH40k: Armageddon - PC beta here. I guess it's trying to be a close adaptation of the tabletop game, which is what I've been looking for forever. Is there anything out there that comes close?

This is actually going to be more like their Panzer Corps games, which are basically the new generation of Panzer General games if you played those classics of dadgaming. That being said, I'm super excited for it and signed up too. It sounds a lot like the old Rites of War, which was a Panzer General reskin where you played as Eldar vs. the Imperium and later Tyranids.

The only adaptation of 40k rules to a video game there's ever been was apparently on the Nokia N-Gage. Good luck tracking that down.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Did anyone besides me own an N-Gage?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Did anyone besides me own an N-Gage?

I had a Virtual Boy :v:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Me and my neighbor pooled our money for one and we fought about which one of us had to keep it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's weirdly telling that the only straight adaptation of the rules of Warhammer 40,000 was on a handheld device shaped like a taco where you had to remove the battery pack just to change the game cartridge.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
It'd be nice to have a faithful adaptation of the table top in PC game form as a method of easily testing army setups, if nothing else.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yup that was me. What is your question exactly?

E: If its just a size question, my answer is photoshop and lots of test printing.

Yeah, it was mostly a size question. I got it worked out pretty well though. Too bad I ran out of magenta ink though :sigh:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Well this is a thing I didn't know existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgj2uyGqeLA
It's bizarre the weird fanarty things I keep finding.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I think I have it figured out: the old sixteen model Guardian boxed set had enough helmet heads to equip all the models plus an extra helmet.

The new ten model box contains eight helmets total and two bare heads. Can anyone confirm this?

SRM posted:

Well this is a thing I didn't know existed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgj2uyGqeLA
It's bizarre the weird fanarty things I keep finding.

:syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Master Twig posted:

It really isn't. I brought it up more as an example of look out sir shenanigans than as something broken.

LoS should really only be a 5+ on characters and 4 on ICs. Also, precision shot should bypass it. But that's just my opinion. (From someone who mainly plays Tyranids and thus doesn't benefit from it. )
Oh, but you can! For the low, low price of 145pts when attached to a Carnifex brood Warrior or 'ga(u)nt brood. Not that you'd ever want to do that, but it's the thought that counts :v:

Armageddon looks like a hex-based Advance Wars to me, especially with the dude-to-tank scale ad all.

• Locked thread