Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Promos with gameplay impact are garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If anyone's interested, here are the squad lists for the Top 4:

Winner, Rick Sidebotham: Whisper + Advanced Cloaking Device + Veteran Instincts + Fire Control System + Gunner; Soontir Fel + Push the Limit; Captain Yorr

2nd place, Jeff Beerling: Lando + Han Solo (crew) + Nien Nunb + Draw Their Fire; Chewbacca + R2-D2 (crew) + C-3P0 + Draw Their Fire + Millennium Falcon

Paul Heaver (lost to Jeff): Han Solo + C-3P0 + Millennium Falcon + Luke Skywalker + Veteran Instincts + Engine Upgrade; Biggs; Tala Squadron Pilot

Nick Jones (lost to Rick): Howlrunner + Push the Limit; 6x Obsidian Squadron Pilot

Help a newbie out, as for actual models the lists are thus:

Rick Sidebotham- TIE Phantom, TIE Interceptor, Lambda Shuttle
Jeff Beerling- YT-1300, YT-1300
Paul Heaver- YT-1300, X-Wing, Z95 Headhunter
Nick Jones- TIE Fighter (multiplied by 7)

Plus a butt-load of upgrade cards depending on the list.

Correct?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Promos with gameplay impact are garbage

Yeah, and it is so frustrating watching people defend them as some kind of game enriching feature.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Indolent Bastard posted:

Help a newbie out, as for actual models the lists are thus:

Rick Sidebotham- TIE Phantom, TIE Interceptor, Lambda Shuttle
Jeff Beerling- YT-1300, YT-1300
Paul Heaver- YT-1300, X-Wing, Z95 Headhunter
Nick Jones- TIE Fighter (multiplied by 7)

Plus a butt-load of upgrade cards depending on the list.

Correct?

Yes, though if you recreate Heaver's list sans C-3PO you'll only need a YT-1300, a Headhunter and the core set to cover all models and upgrade cards.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

And unless you're doing tournaments, just proxy cards you don't have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I had a brilliant idea for promos that were technically unique but wouldn't lock people out of content.

Unique pilot cards that either don't have a pilot ability, or duplicate an existing one. Like give us a Lt. Kettch TIE pilot card, but give it the same pilot skill, upgrade slots, ability and point cost of an existing TIE pilot.

Just have unique art and flavor text.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Those Attack Wing promo cards are getting a regular retail release.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

jivjov posted:

Like give us a Lt. Kettch TIE Interceptor pilot card, but give it the same pilot skill, upgrade slots, ability and point cost of an existing TIE pilot Baron Fel.

Fixed that for you. It is my dream.

How does the fanbase for X-Wing at local stores seem to be? I understand every store is different, but some friends are encouraging me to try the local X-Wing nights. I'm concerned by the fanbase I've seen for a lot of other games at my FLGS - I would never do a Magic night with strangers after the poo poo I've seen, for example. Does X-Wing tend to attract a more mature audience due to the slightly higher buy-in cost?

edit: yub yub motherfuckers

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

I had a brilliant idea for promos that were technically unique but wouldn't lock people out of content.

Unique pilot cards that either don't have a pilot ability, or duplicate an existing one. Like give us a Lt. Kettch TIE pilot card, but give it the same pilot skill, upgrade slots, ability and point cost of an existing TIE pilot.

Just have unique art and flavor text.

But why would Kettch ever fly for the Empire?

SageNytell posted:

How does the fanbase for X-Wing at local stores seem to be? I understand every store is different, but some friends are encouraging me to try the local X-Wing nights. I'm concerned by the fanbase I've seen for a lot of other games at my FLGS - I would never do a Magic night with strangers after the poo poo I've seen, for example. Does X-Wing tend to attract a more mature audience due to the slightly higher buy-in cost?

The only complaint I have about the local store's X-Wing night is all the people on the other side of the store playing Magic. Wow, you topdecked the right card; this is something that has never happened to anyone before and is entirely worth shouting about for an entire minute.

The X-Wing players are all super chill, though.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 18, 2014

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

SageNytell posted:

Warhammer is expensive and it's filled with fuckwits.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SageNytell posted:

Higher buy-in cost just attracts spergs if we look at war hams' clientele. X-wing attracts people who like pew pew noises and the movies so it's a bunch of cool dudes. Fly casual is the motto for the nova squadron. It helps that the rules and balance is tight so there are no grognard arguments. In my experience the playerbase is older and many have kids. They're the cool dad types.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

SageNytell posted:

Aside from terrible nerd shittiness like unironic Empire apologists, it's pretty good. We've got one guy who screams swear words when he rolls poorly but he has stopped showing up as much. I just stopped playing him, got tired of hearing how I only won because my dice were hot.

The problem at my store is that they schedule other events for that night too, so the store is full of unwashed minis players and magic players love to come in and take tables when it isn't their league night.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So what are the typical point values for games? I watched my flatmates play 100 points each and it was pretty interesting, they both had 3 ships so there was a fair bit going on. Does the game get better or worse when you add more points?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's less interesting as you add more points. You make less choices and just take the best options.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
100 points is tournament rules. I've seen 3x2 200 point games, 150 point games, "everything we have in the table" point games, and everything in between. Go nuts.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

alg posted:

Aside from terrible nerd shittiness like unironic Empire apologists

Only if Thrawn's in charge. :v:

(Are we not getting a separate Armada thread until next year?)

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

It's less interesting as you add more points. You make less choices and just take the best options.

On the other hand, I find 100 points to be boring as hell, as I haven't seen a new list at 100 pts in months.

But the thread does have a massive hard on for 100 pts and tournament play.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Only if Thrawn's in charge. :v:

(Are we not getting a separate Armada thread until next year?)

I have a thread up for Other FFG Star Wars games covering Armada, Imperial Assault, and Empire vs Rebellion. Since none of those are out yet, I figure we can keep them all in one thread until such time as discussion for one starts overwhelming the other 2 or something.

EDIT: Plus when I made this thread, I kinda had the feeling that X-Wing is a "big" enough thing to sustain a full thread without having Armada-chat inflating it.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Is there a fan-made store locator somewhere? My local stores are mostly poo poo for one reason or another, so I figured I'd try looking elsewhere. Also yes, give me all the Chiss stuff, thanks.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

TheTofuShop posted:

On the other hand, I find 100 points to be boring as hell, as I haven't seen a new list at 100 pts in months.

But the thread does have a massive hard on for 100 pts and tournament play.

What does this mean? I'm active in a league and keep track of the competitive scene, wave 4 has been crazy for new lists and Wave 5 will be even more interesting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Phantoms totally hosed the meta, and Decimators will even harder. Yssane Isardo is a better 3P0. 360 hlcs is going to be awesome. Rebel Aces is going to make A-wings competitive again. It's a good time to play tournament.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

alg posted:

What does this mean? I'm active in a league and keep track of the competitive scene, wave 4 has been crazy for new lists and Wave 5 will be even more interesting.

At my store, I haven't seen a new list in months. It means exactly what I said. Perhaps its just my local store, but there are like...4 lists total that people bring to the store here?

I know everyone here loves 100, I find 100 points to be where its not that fun at all. Every imperial list running phantom or a tie swarm, and rebels are either double falcon or XXBB, in my experience. At 155-200+, the game just seems to open up to a lot more possibilities, and is a lot more fun imo.

Then again you have to fight crusty old Axis and Allies players tooth and nail for table space at my LGS, so most of the time we stay home and play Beer Wing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
With so much stuff coming out to make A-wings and especially Tycho ridiculously good, I hope we get the Interceptor upgrades promised in that interview sooner rather than later.

Speaking of, since wave 6 is going to be entirely Scum, have we seen all of wave 5? I thought Aces were a separate thing like the huge ship boxes and we were due two more wave 5 ships, but I guess I'm wrong. :( It's sad, because low PS Inties need some love.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

With so much stuff coming out to make A-wings and especially Tycho ridiculously good, I hope we get the Interceptor upgrades promised in that interview sooner rather than later.

Speaking of, since wave 6 is going to be entirely Scum, have we seen all of wave 5? I thought Aces were a separate thing like the huge ship boxes and we were due two more wave 5 ships, but I guess I'm wrong. :( It's sad, because low PS Inties need some love.

Pretty sure wave 5 is Decimator/Mini-Falcon/Rebel Aces.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crackbone posted:

Pretty sure wave 5 is Decimator/Mini-Falcon/Rebel Aces.

As a point of pedantic concern; Rebel Aces is not technically part of Wave 5. It just happens to be coming out at the same time.

But yeah, unless FFG has been pulling some kind of crazy long con and two mystery ships are forthcoming, Wave 5 is just the YT-2400 and the Decimator.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Remember when the Falcon first came out?

Those were the days

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

As a point of pedantic concern; Rebel Aces is not technically part of Wave 5. It just happens to be coming out at the same time.

Yeah, that was my point. I was under the impression we'd get Wave 5 being four ships (like the other previous waves), the Aces boxes not actually being part of the wave.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, that was my point. I was under the impression we'd get Wave 5 being four ships (like the other previous waves), the Aces boxes not actually being part of the wave.

I'm kinda happy Wave 5 is just the 2 big ships...Buying 2 bigs costs the same as 4 smalls, so my pocketbook won't feel the sting of Wave 5 as hard.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

alg posted:

Aside from terrible nerd shittiness like unironic Empire apologists

I'm an Empire Apologist if only because they have much better fashion sense than the Rebel scum.

I mean, seriously. Officers Uniforms.

e: Also Palpatine's characterization in Robot Chicken.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chill la Chill posted:

Higher buy-in cost just attracts spergs if we look at war hams' clientele. X-wing attracts people who like pew pew noises and the movies so it's a bunch of cool dudes. Fly casual is the motto for the nova squadron. It helps that the rules and balance is tight so there are no grognard arguments. In my experience the playerbase is older and many have kids. They're the cool dad types.

Are you in the NOVA area? I live in Waldorf and would love to find a group of people to pew pew spaceships with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you in the NOVA area? I live in Waldorf and would love to find a group of people to pew pew spaceships with.

Yep but I'm in school now so I'll be back during winter break. Ask to join the nova squad Facebook group and ask around or look for events.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Played another couple games tonight.

My buddy and I swapped factions to see what it's like on the other side. I played Whisper with PtL, ACD; Yorr with Rebel Captive, HLC; Howrunnder with Wingman. I lost but really liked the stress shuffle I was pulling around.

Came back to Rebs for a more serious back to basics list with Wedge, R2D2, Swarm; 2x Rookie Pilot; Gold Squad, Ion Turret. I won with a bit of luck with the dice, and Ion'ing a Defender twice to allow sweet Range 1 shots up his tailpipe.

I like it, I may use that this weekend for a tournament, but man, I do miss my YT...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Y-Wings are my favorite rebel ship so it gets my vote.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My first competitive play was Imdaar Alpha with 2 Gold Y's + Ion Turret, Wedge + R2D2, and...some other X-wing. I took second out of like 20, and got a Phantom. XXYY will forever have a place in my heart.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am in Montgomery county MD and would love to go pew pew.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

The only complaint I have about the local store's X-Wing night is all the people on the other side of the store playing Magic. Wow, you topdecked the right card; this is something that has never happened to anyone before and is entirely worth shouting about for an entire minute.

The X-Wing players are all super chill, though.

Actually, topdecking the right card (from someone else's deck) saved my rear end so good once because I used this guy's ablity and pulled the one Glaring Spotlight the guy had in a deathtouch-pinger deck. I know it's off-topic, but MTG does have clutch moments where cool stuff like that happens, like an Epic game last night where a single stressed TIE with one hull remaining survived an ion cannon, a stressed Ibitsam and two A-wings.

Competitive chat: Used Wedge+Outmaneuver again in the aforementioned Epic game (300pts) and he once again kicked rear end. Phantom decloaks and didn't have Wedge in his firing arc, the pilot gave me the biggest wide-eyed look when I told him he gets no evade dice against Wedge (who was at range 1) :getin:

Chill la Chill posted:

Dad jokes ahoy!
(someone rolls insanely bad) "Jeeeeeeesus"
"Yes, my child?" :smug:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Got my Wave 5/RebAces today. The Decimator is baller. As. gently caress.

The YT-2400 model is kinda underwhelming. The YT-1300 is so much more detailed, it's sort of a letdown.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well it's a newer model of shop. Which of course means it's less chunky, more sleek. It's so futuristic, CEC wanted to chrome plate it, but was afraid the Nubian shipyards would sue.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Got my Wave 5/RebAces today. The Decimator is baller. As. gently caress.

The YT-2400 model is kinda underwhelming. The YT-1300 is so much more detailed, it's sort of a letdown.

Where'd you get them? It's hard to tell when stores will be shipping Aces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

• Locked thread