Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. Adywan is pretty cool in my books. Some of the changes in New Hope are too much, but I also think some of the enhancements are pretty clever. Like this one or animating the Yoda puppet more. Your mileage will vary obviously but if I'm going to have to watch the enhanced version of the films I would probably choose his.

My only complaint from his ANH cut is the little electricity effect on the torture droid's needle.

The holo table in the Yavin IV war room is a close second, but its cool enough that I'm willing to let it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jivjov posted:

My only complaint from his ANH cut is the little electricity effect on the torture droid's needle.

The holo table in the Yavin IV war room is a close second, but its cool enough that I'm willing to let it slide.

The original cut with the added tie fighters and x-wings was rubbish.

Basically nearly everything he adds is technically impressive but sometimes he struggles with mood and pacing.

He did listen to feed back though and release a cut with some of the bigger changes removed.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012
-Han shoots only
-Bring back Lapti Nek
-Get rid of Vader's "No...NOOO!" in Jedi

All the other changes circa the Blu-Ray release I can live with. Stuff like the CGI Red Squadron in ANH and the "windows" in Empire are pretty good additions IMO. Still, a completely unaltered cut would be nice from a nostalgia perspective; I am still amused by the English text on the tractor beam display and the wolfman in the cantina.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.
To me, the most glaring problems with the Blu-rays aren't the new additions (Vader's "No... NOOO!" is the only one I outright hate, although the new sound for Obi-Wan's krayt dragon scream is absurd too), but rather the problems introduced into the image during the remaster like the screwy color timing/grading. Vader's lightsaber should not be pink. Snow on Hoth should not be blue.

I don't know how those things got past any level of quality control, and they're even worse if they're being called an "artistic decision". If that's the case, then why isn't Vader's lightsaber pink in every shot, instead of changing back and forth between pink and crimson even in the same scene?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KERNOD WEL posted:

-Han shoots only
-Bring back Lapti Nek

All the other changes circa the Blu-Ray release I can live with. Stuff like the CGI Red Squadron in ANH and the "windows" in Empire are pretty good additions IMO. Still, a completely unaltered cut would be nice from a nostalgia perspective; I am still amused by the English text on the tractor beam display and the wolfman in the cantina.

I like all that 70s orange and brown everywhere.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

KERNOD WEL posted:

-Han shoots only
-Bring back Lapti Nek

gently caress the wolfman, seeing motherfucking satan just chilling in the bar takes the cake.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

KERNOD WEL posted:

-Han shoots only
-Bring back Lapti Nek

You really want to keep the extended Sy Snootles musical number?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sith Happens posted:

To me, the most glaring problems with the Blu-rays aren't the new additions (Vader's "No... NOOO!" is the only one I outright hate, although the new sound for Obi-Wan's krayt dragon scream is absurd too), but rather the problems introduced into the image during the remaster like the screwy color timing/grading. Vader's lightsaber should not be pink. Snow on Hoth should not be blue.

I don't know how those things got past any level of quality control, and they're even worse if they're being called an "artistic decision". If that's the case, then why isn't Vader's lightsaber pink in every shot, instead of changing back and forth between pink and crimson even in the same scene?

Vader's lightsaber was screwed up as far back as the 2004 DVDs, when Lowry Digital did their restoration (it was a rush job; I think they only got 30 days for each movie when they normally take three months to do a single film). It's remarkable, really -- take a frame, pop it into Photoshop and adjust the contrast, and suddenly it looks perfectly fine.

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

You really want to keep the extended Sy Snootles musical number?

"Jedi Rocks" is the intolerable extended musical number added in the SE; "Lapti Nek" is the 80's-disco but mercifully shorter song in the original edition.

edit: on second look Jedi Rocks is about the same length as the original but its so goddamn cringeworthy it feels like 5 minutes.

KERNOD WEL fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 18, 2014

KERNOD WEL
Oct 10, 2012

ruddiger posted:

gently caress the wolfman, seeing motherfucking satan just chilling in the bar takes the cake.

The cantina is easily my favorite scene in all of the series; every shot is brilliant: The little guy in orange stoked to get his drink, the Greys in baggy spacesuits arguing in the corner, Satan, people wearing space helmets indoors for some reason, ChinBalls starting poo poo with Luke out of nowhere, a brutal dismemberment with an ancient weapon met with mild surprise and a quick return to music & drinks...

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ruddiger posted:

Satan is still in the special editions, I thought.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
He is, it was Wolf Man that was removed for the hipster alien in a baret.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sith Happens posted:

The color grading is totally hosed on the blu rays and I have to think SOMEONE thought they looked better that way.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

KERNOD WEL posted:

Still, a completely unaltered cut would be nice from a nostalgia perspective; I am still amused by the English text on the tractor beam display and the wolfman in the cantina.

I like the English writing because in the context of the Empire it makes sense; they're a bunch of white dudes who all speak English, so it makes sense for them to write English too. Now if it were the cantina or something...alien text makes more sense and adds to it. But alien languages for the sake of filling Wiki pages is heading into pointlessness territory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ApexAftermath posted:

The color grading is totally hosed on the blu rays and I have to think SOMEONE thought they looked better that way.

They also crushed the poo poo out of those blacks.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

They also crushed the poo poo out of those blacks.

That's not racist, that's a color correction term.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I'm also okay with most of the visual changes. I'd be comfortable with just undoing the plot-consequent and dialogue changes: Han shot only, Vader's Noooo, and Luke's scream when he jumps on Bespin. Makes it seem like he fell instead of let go. I do prefer Lapti Nek, though.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Lunatic Pathos posted:

I'm also okay with most of the visual changes. I'd be comfortable with just undoing the plot-consequent and dialogue changes: Han shot only, Vader's Noooo, and Luke's scream when he jumps on Bespin. Makes it seem like he fell instead of let go. I do prefer Lapti Nek, though.

They got rid of Luke screaming.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

CJSwiss posted:

I never understood the scream, but without the scene looks like poo poo. Did Luke throw himself down the shaft, or? It really could of done with an extra shot or two to establish he's decision to do so, and then the silent fall wouldn't seem to bad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I never understood the scream, but without the scene looks like poo poo. Did Luke throw himself down the shaft, or? It really could of done with an extra shot or two to establish he's decision to do so, and then the silent fall wouldn't seem to bad.

Isn't there a scene where he lets go of whatever he's hanging onto and it looks like he's killing himself but then he flies himself into a tube and it was a fake-out? I have to admit that as someone who would like to buy the original movies on dvd or blu ray, I haven't seen them for about 15 years.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

CJSwiss posted:

As in the originals had him screaming but SE cut it out? Or more recent versions took it back out? I'm gonna have to look at that revision list. Didn't they also switch between Luke calling for backup from Biggs to Wedge in an early revision? Alright, going to check now. All I've seen recently is the Laserdisc rip.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

Isn't there a scene where he lets go of whatever he's hanging onto and it looks like he's killing himself but then he flies himself into a tube and it was a fake-out? I have to admit that as someone who would like to buy the original movies on dvd or blu ray, I haven't seen them for about 15 years.

From my recollection he just kind of lets go and falls, there's no close up to get a read on his emotions. Also, the limitations of the effects make it look kind of incomprehensible. Flying into the tube is probably the intended reading but it honestly looks more like he's vacuumed upwards into one.

Also, I haven't seen them for a while either, specifically because I dislike the changes enough that they ruin the experience for me.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The only version of ESB I've seen is one recorded in the 90s off TV. In it he all but flips Vader off as he very intentionally drops down and doesn't scream. Never seen any of Lucas' drug-addled meddling where this movie is concerned but the idea of adding a scream to that fall is like the most hilariously out of place thing I've heard in a while. It's like if they put in a Wilhelm scream in when Obi-wan cuts down Anakin.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The version I always watched as a kid has Luke look down, stare at Vader before he decides to jump, and there's a weird scream as he falls. I'm pretty sure it was the old THX VHS box set.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Ok, so the scream was only in the initial special edition but not later releases. Got it. Oh yeah, I'd also take Jabba back out of ANH, and, as is obvious, I'm all for anything with Biggs, so the scene they put back in with him is cool by me. The rest is fine. I've never disliked CGI, even non-great CGI. I guess I played enough video games as a kid that it doesn't have to be impeccably convincing for me to suspend disbelief.

After my second viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy, a couple guys in the lobby were vehemently complaining about the CGI, to the point of loud profanity. Specifically that Groot and Rocket weren't convincing. I thought they were great, down to wood dust floating off Groot when he's hit.

Edit:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The version I always watched as a kid has Luke look down, stare at Vader before he decides to jump, and there's a weird scream as he falls. I'm pretty sure it was the old THX VHS box set.

According to the edit list on Wookiepedia it's just the special edition.

I always thought he was sucked into the tube as well, and had fully expected to die. Ultimate expression of letting go of attachment. Only by disobeying Yoda did he come to understand and master Yoda's teaching. Had to learn the lesson his own way.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I eventually stopped watching the special editions because I just couldn't take the DEEP HURTING anymore, but the worst addition in my opinion is from ESB where it shows Vader flying back to the Executor from Cloud City. I hate that it completely fucks with the pacing of the Falcon rescuing Luke.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like it's pretty well fleshed out what happens there. Vader makes his offer, Luke considers for a moment looking down and back up. When he lets go his face is a man who has made a choice, and it causes unintentional comedy to add that dumb scream to him falling. No one wants to see hero who just chose to fall to his death rather than go with Vader screaming like homer simpson.

Lunatic Pathos posted:

As in the originals had him screaming but SE cut it out? Or more recent versions took it back out? I'm gonna have to look at that revision list. Didn't they also switch between Luke calling for backup from Biggs to Wedge in an early revision? Alright, going to check now. All I've seen recently is the Laserdisc rip.

Original has no scream, 97 SE added scream, 2004 dvd removes scream, 2012 blu ray adds Vader NOOOOOO to scene where he throws Emperor down the hole.

What the gently caress right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just rewatched the scene in question. Two things:

I really, really love that Luke made a choice. He looked down, the camera switched over to show the deep abyss he's looking at, he looks back to Vader, then back to the Abyss, then Vader once more. Luke then lets go and falls. Vader, understanding the choice that Luke's made, lowers his outstretched hand and says nothing. It's awesome.

I really, really love the loving look and feel of the original trilogy. It's been ages since I watched any of it, and god drat do I just love the feel of the Falcon's cockpit, of the Star Destroyer's bridge and hangar, of just loving everything I'm looking at. I am getting inordinately hyped about Episode 7 as a result.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

I just rewatched the scene in question. Two things:

I really, really love that Luke made a choice. He looked down, the camera switched over to show the deep abyss he's looking at, he looks back to Vader, then back to the Abyss, then Vader once more. Luke then lets go and falls. Vader, understanding the choice that Luke's made, lowers his outstretched hand and says nothing. It's awesome.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Luke's motives are unclear really needs to watch ESB again. It's quite a powerful scene and a great film.

SirPhoebos posted:

I eventually stopped watching the special editions because I just couldn't take the DEEP HURTING anymore, but the worst addition in my opinion is from ESB where it shows Vader flying back to the Executor from Cloud City. I hate that it completely fucks with the pacing of the Falcon rescuing Luke.

Oh god this. They interrupt the building chase music to show Vader landing in the docking bay and walk out of his shuttle, CUT BACK jarringly to music that sounds like it got interrupted. They didn't even make it smooth.

If you have a chance to see the despecialized edition of this do it. They used the blu ray to work backwards and put the film back as close to how it used to look original color grading and all. It looks and sounds incredible.

ApexAftermath fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 18, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ApexAftermath posted:

Original has no scream, 97 SE added scream, 2004 dvd removes scream

It wasn't just a scream. It was the Emperor's scream as he plummets down the reactor shaft. :psyduck:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Timby posted:

It wasn't just a scream. It was the Emperor's scream as he plummets down the reactor shaft. :psyduck:

Yep I believe they just played it backwards or something equally dumb.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's shafts all the way down and up again.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

I guess I can understand why George wants to tinker with the films, but I don't understand why he does it so half arsed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What I wouldn't give to make this cannon.

Pryor and Lando would've been tight as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

Its his way of making the best movie he possibly can.

EDIT: Wow these newbie avatars :\

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

ApexAftermath posted:

I think we can not be huge sperges and agree that the last home video release cut of New Hope before the special editions is what most people are thinking of when they think of the original cut of new hope.
I would imagine it rather being the original theatrical cuts actually that people want? :confused:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

PrBacterio posted:

I would imagine it rather being the original theatrical cuts actually that people want? :confused:

Is the last VHS release before the Special Editions just the theatrical cuts, cleaned up to look nicer, and with EPISODE IV A NEW HOPE put on the first one? It's basically unmessed with.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
Why would they "clean up to make it look nicer" a theatrical release before putting it out on VHS? The quality of VHS tapes was so lovely you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, theatrical release quality was way beyond what it was possible to achieve on home video back then. Nowadays the two are much closer, and just releasing the same quality cut as what audiences got to see in theatres back then and put it on a Bluray disc for people to watch on their home cinema setups would seem to me to make perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PrBacterio posted:

Why would they "clean up to make it look nicer" a theatrical release before putting it out on VHS? The quality of VHS tapes was so lovely you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway, theatrical release quality was way beyond what it was possible to achieve on home video back then. Nowadays the two are much closer, and just releasing the same quality cut as what audiences got to see in theatres back then and put it on a Bluray disc for people to watch on their home cinema setups would seem to me to make perfect sense.

It makes sense minus the Fox factor (who I'm not sure if they actually own rights to the Special Editions or not beyond 2020).

• Locked thread