Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm willing to vote winvirus. I'm sticking with merk for now though, I feel stronger about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I didn't see Merk posting a question about my vote on rarity. Calm thyselves. I elaborated a bit in that very post about my vote for rarity. It was still quite early in D1 and I didn't like how rarity jumped on Keane for what I believe to be a very trivial and meaningless statement that I did not see the same way.

Early D1 doesn't exactly make for solid casing 99% of the time. The first day is almost always a gut-check.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

winvirus posted:

I'm reading back on my phone and I could've sworn there was a post I didn't like

But apparently I was hallucinating. That, combined with me actually missing your question and you not just flat dropping suspicion on me is enough for me to admit I Was Wrong About 9/11 (Rarity)

I would still be willing to vote Meinberg though

##unvote
##vote Meinberg

Also hey Somb if you think rarity is scum (you said she was on your lynch list for the day) why are you trying to get her to follow your vote onto me? Just trying to get ~scum buddies to vote eachother~ or something? Or do you think she's town, now. Because you just said like two posts ago you would be ok with her lynch

So there's that!

Her vote counts whether or not she's scum(she is) and it's obviously useful information. Why do you need tildes for that?

Keane, what do you think about winvirus doing the same thing as CE in regards to misreading/lying about a point against another player? I feel like there's very little difference between the two. To be honest I felt good about that CE post so I don't know what to make of it.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
##unvote; ##vote merk

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Mafia buzz words used at me without any basis so far:
1. flailing (Rarity)
2. back-pedaling (Crazyeyes)

Let's add to the list.
Color me surprised you don't have conviction on this list. I thought that was a decent one too.

winvirus
Jan 23, 2009

You only delay the inevitable. All of this island will soon belong to me.

I think, sometimes, people think they read things, in a game of mafia, that they didn't, and it's okay to admit you're wrong. There are lots of words involved in these games, after all, and they are challenging for illiterate people like myself

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Also, regarding Rascy, I didn't see the parallel to the other game because I was scum in that game and I'm town in this game. On top of that, Rasyc himself characterized the other game as 'bizarro' content whereas he failed to characterize Keane's content here at all. He is creating an analogous situation but can't analogize the content between games. He also doesn't even say I'm scummy. If he isn't prepared to call Keane's content something other than fake and say that I'm scummy for saying what I said, his analogy completely falls flat on his face.
Mm, no, this is a misrepresentation. Again the original point is that it's easy to frame someone's content as fake, and I posted an example where you did this to counter your own self-referenced example from an ongoing game.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

winvirus posted:

I think, sometimes, people think they read things, in a game of mafia, that they didn't, and it's okay to admit you're wrong. There are lots of words involved in these games, after all, and they are challenging for illiterate people like myself
lol this dumdum

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

JakeP posted:

more like gay 1 amirite

thats what we all say now 15 months in the future
Sorry, need dat year long deadline!!~

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

winvirus posted:

To be clear I don't think misreading is scummy because I've done it as town, although as an aside your tone here is weird. I want to know what Keane thinks though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Crazyeyes posted:

I didn't see Merk posting a question about my vote on rarity. Calm thyselves. I elaborated a bit in that very post about my vote for rarity. It was still quite early in D1 and I didn't like how rarity jumped on Keane for what I believe to be a very trivial and meaningless statement that I did not see the same way.

Early D1 doesn't exactly make for solid casing 99% of the time. The first day is almost always a gut-check.
anyone else you think is scum(my) at this point?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
##unvote; ##vote merk

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
So starting my epic re-read.

Meinberg posted:

If you're really a vig and you really do off me, I'd consider taking a careful look at winvirus.

Because, you see, I'm town.

This still sticks out to me... WV clearly is making a joke on p1. This genuinely looks like someone panicking that they might be vigged.

Meinberg posted:

Oh nooooooo.....!

Also, winvirus is legitimately lying. It may be for comedic effect, but whatever.

I just can't get my head round this. Checking Votefinder, Meinberg isn't new. But self proclaims having an 'awkward meta'.

Rarity posted:

Yeah, you reacted to jokes really weird in Civ 2 as... well...

But you were scum in that game! :aaa:

We're through the looking glass here people.

Meinberg posted:

I thought Winvirus wasn't joking, but considering how early in the game we are, I didn't have any tools to properly defend myself. So I flailed.

What?

Is no one seeing this?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"
And "Oh that's just Meinberg!" isn't a defence.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

wins32767 posted:

##vote Chaoslord

Sorry you drew scum pal.

Kilran, I'm also very sorry you drew scum your first game back in a long time.

Hey Wins, did you forget you were in this game?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

kilran posted:

It's not a defense, but I've played a few games with Meinberg and he does come off as awkward - and that means that he's an easy candidate for a push by scum (or unfamiliar town), so you get a lot of noise in there as well.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote CE

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

kilran posted:

I'm fine voting Meinberg but it's not really exciting or interesting. I read the Big Brother thread, dude is awkward.

Will someone explain merk to me like I'm a moron?

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

CCKeane posted:

It's not a defense, but I've played a few games with Meinberg and he does come off as awkward - and that means that he's an easy candidate for a push by scum (or unfamiliar town), so you get a lot of noise in there as well.

Fair. But there's awkward posting (whatever that even means...) and then there is "Don't vig me! Winvirus is scummy! Shoot him!" but what I don't get is the "Winvirus is legit lying". Clearly he was. This just seems like a qualification of his earlier reaction.

I've finished re-reading. I promised myself I wouldn't get into posting huge 'wall o'texts' anymore. No one reads them and they don't actually persuade anyone of anything.

Overally, I'm really liking Somberbrero's posts. They seem genuinely in the right mindspace.

I honestly can't see why everyone is bent out of shape about merk. I don't think anything he has particularly done is scummy.

Rarity is the one who stands out to me. Maybe Yuming too (but I always think Yuming is scum, so I'm not going to go into that). Rarity feels like she is manipulating people. None of her points feel genuine and I liked really liked this post from merk.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

I'm fine voting Meinberg but it's not really exciting or interesting. I read the Big Brother thread, dude is awkward.

Merk made a bad case on me, and has swung around pretty significantly since. In past games merk as scum has accussed town players of faking content, as he has done to me, in order to attempt to get a vote on them.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know if I have a vote out or not because I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD but:

##unvote
##vote Crazy Eyes

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

CCKeane posted:

Merk made a bad case on me, and has swung around pretty significantly since. In past games merk as scum has accussed town players of faking content, as he has done to me, in order to attempt to get a vote on them.
so you think merk is scum?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
As an aside that hopefully someone will read after I eventually flip Town, trying to meta me is generally a bad idea. I take a lot of care in trying new things and modifying my game, like the example I started this game with when going after Keane. Opo appears to be the only person who has been successful that I've seen, and he's only had one real showing with one half showing here (he could be scum who knows my alignment).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

As an aside that hopefully someone will read after I eventually flip Town, trying to meta me is generally a bad idea. I take a lot of care in trying new things and modifying my game, like the example I started this game with when going after Keane. Opo appears to be the only person who has been successful that I've seen, and he's only had one real showing with one half showing here (he could be scum who knows my alignment).

In about five minutes, someone will vote me for this post.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Juanito posted:

so you think merk is scum?

Maybe. I think his vote switching and attempts to back away from his statements are bad, but I think the positive reaction the case garnered from some people is far, far worse, since the case was pretty hollow at best. I don't think merk would be topping my list currently, but he is ON NOTICE (you hear me, merk you dastardly scoundrel!!!!)

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

merk posted:

In about five minutes, someone will vote me for this post.

Liar

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Somberbrero posted:

Merk cased CC and said his content was fake. He continued to press CC but it reads more like intentional antagonizing than it does scum hunting which prompted me to post an example of where a scum Merk had framed a town's (Yuming this case) content as fake, and also continued to antagonize the player until their death (in that case, it was forced via a vig shot from another town). The point was that Merk was exhibiting the same type of behavior this game as another game.

Merk's response to this is that my example is not applicable because of how I apparently represented Yuming's content versus CC's. The representation of the example's content is irrelevant though because both Yuming and I are casing how he's acting. Rather than answer the accusation directly, he chooses to misrepresent a logical detail of something I said earlier in the thread in regards to calling CC's content fake, and using that to discredit the past game's example I posted.

It's basically textbook dismantling the case itself on any fringe weaknesses he can find, which is scummy to me at this point.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm not talking about this game in this post, but I'm linking it because it's close enough to the point where I feel like linking it is ethically the thing to do.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rascyc posted:

Merk cased CC and said his content was fake. He continued to press CC but it reads more like intentional antagonizing than it does scum hunting which prompted me to post an example of where a scum Merk had framed a town's (Yuming this case) content as fake, and also continued to antagonize the player until their death (in that case, it was forced via a vig shot from another town). The point was that Merk was exhibiting the same type of behavior this game as another game.

Merk's response to this is that my example is not applicable because of how I apparently represented Yuming's content versus CC's. The representation of the example's content is irrelevant though because both Yuming and I are casing how he's acting. Rather than answer the accusation directly, he chooses to misrepresent a logical detail of something I said earlier in the thread in regards to calling CC's content fake, and using that to discredit the past game's example I posted.

It's basically textbook dismantling the case itself on any fringe weaknesses he can find, which is scummy to me at this point.

Put your case on me together in the most persuasive form possible.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

kilran posted:

Fair. But there's awkward posting (whatever that even means...) and then there is "Don't vig me! Winvirus is scummy! Shoot him!" but what I don't get is the "Winvirus is legit lying". Clearly he was. This just seems like a qualification of his earlier reaction.

I've finished re-reading. I promised myself I wouldn't get into posting huge 'wall o'texts' anymore. No one reads them and they don't actually persuade anyone of anything.

Overally, I'm really liking Somberbrero's posts. They seem genuinely in the right mindspace.

I honestly can't see why everyone is bent out of shape about merk. I don't think anything he has particularly done is scummy.

Rarity is the one who stands out to me. Maybe Yuming too (but I always think Yuming is scum, so I'm not going to go into that). Rarity feels like she is manipulating people. None of her points feel genuine and I liked really liked this post from merk.

##unvote

##vote Rarity

Hey thanks, but I'm having a lot of trouble with this post. It reads like a scum sandwich of "hey, x and y are cool, z sucks though." Positive feelings are way easier to fake as scum and it's weird that this post is at best 50% positive reads. I dunno how much I buy into buddying as an overall scum tactic but it's very much 'textbook scum' and I can't deny that it definitely put me off my guard here.

Actually reading this in detail, I had missed that you are suspicious of yuming. Seems like you should really be on that, at least say why because I'm getting the opposite read. Rarity always reads as scum to me too but I am not going to back off her because of that this game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

Put your case on me together in the most persuasive form possible.
I'm good. It's above.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't think I've ever seen someone say they always read Yuming as scum, that's a new one.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Somberbrero posted:

Hey thanks, but I'm having a lot of trouble with this post. It reads like a scum sandwich of "hey, x and y are cool, z sucks though." Positive feelings are way easier to fake as scum and it's weird that this post is at best 50% positive reads. I dunno how much I buy into buddying as an overall scum tactic but it's very much 'textbook scum' and I can't deny that it definitely put me off my guard here.

Actually reading this in detail, I had missed that you are suspicious of yuming. Seems like you should really be on that, at least say why because I'm getting the opposite read. Rarity always reads as scum to me too but I am not going to back off her because of that this game.

Like I said, I'm not going into a massive wall o'text. Especially on d1. I'm getting ~feelings~ from Rarity... in my head, zie is sat in a big chair like Blofeld from James Bond, occasionally chiming with a post pushing people around a game board with one of those sticks they used to move armies round the map of Europe in war films.

I'll get to my feelings on Yuming in a mo.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rascyc posted:

I don't feel that in my heart and you used too many big words, but I respect you and your argument.

Early on you were critical of Crazy's response to my opening bit on winv. Do you think he is scum or bad at mafia?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Tangent but what is "ethical" about this? You know only Yuming is really casing you for 'being mean' and that was more an impetus to her actual case that led to the same conclusions I was reaching and just summarized for Somber for the most part.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Rascyc posted:

I'm good. It's above.

It has yet to persuade anyone. I don't even really know what you're trying to say. I'd like to respond to it, and I think the thread would like to see it.

If you think I'm scum, persuasively arguing your position is the most pro-Town thing you can do.

kilran
Jul 22, 2011

"I don't play the odds,
I play the man"

Rascyc posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone say they always read Yuming as scum, that's a new one.

Yuming played exactly 1 game before I started and we played in a LOT of games while we cut our teeth on Mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

kilran posted:

Like I said, I'm not going into a massive wall o'text. Especially on d1.

Okay buttt that's a pretty lame excuse to avoid posting content and I would still like to see more from you when possible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Somberbrero posted:

I don't feel that in my heart and you used too many big words, but I respect you and your argument.

Early on you were critical of Crazy's response to my opening bit on winv. Do you think he is scum or bad at mafia?
Does he HAVE to be scum OR bad at mafia?

I'm just kidding, I think he's pretty scummy. Reconciling Merk voting CE was something I did some thinking about but I ended up feeling more strongly about scum Merk atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

merk posted:

It has yet to persuade anyone. I don't even really know what you're trying to say. I'd like to respond to it, and I think the thread would like to see it.

If you think I'm scum, persuasively arguing your position is the most pro-Town thing you can do.
I feel it's pretty good on its own, and I'm being pro-town. I honestly have no idea how many people are voting on you since there doesn't seem to be a functional vote counter. If I had to take an educated guess, I think it's three with Yuming, Rarity, and myself. Deadline is tomorrow, there's plenty of time to discuss it.

Plenty of time for you to read it.

• Locked thread