Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Prenton posted:

Come listen to a man tripping over the words "Shoot-em-up Construction Kit" repeatedly because he doesn't know how "SEUCK" is meant to be pronounced

Sub Burner, C64, 1994

(yes, 1994)

Funny nobody but an old fart like me seemed to notice the big name involved in this one, Jon Hare, who, gor-bless him, is still active in the retro community. You may not be intimately familiar with this chap, but he was basically lead designer on some of the best games of the Amiga/ST period. Oh, and let's not forget he basically designed SEUCK. :v:

Anyways, gonna see if I can record some RRootage for the thread today, along with any other odd little shooters I find in my directory (I used to collect the things.)

PS - Slowbeef, I'd be real grateful if Torus Trooper got added to the "Show Off" category. :)

EDIT: But first, I'm going to show off some old-school ST stuff... Starting with Xenon 1 and 2.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Daedalus
Aug 11, 2014
Not sure if anyone has done this one yet so what the hell...

Danmaku Unlimited 2 - PC, 2014

I recently discovered that Bullet Hell is quite possibly one of my favorite things ever, so I decided to work my way through as many of them as I can while hopefully providing some insightful information into whatever i'm playing at the time. Developed by Canada based Doragon Entertainment and featuring a soundtrack by Blankfield, Danmaku Unlimited 2 is a bullet hell game that has made me swear loudly, go cross eyed and made me eager to seek out more.

Here's some dumb video I made about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2zMqW3e_g

While i'm at it, how the hell did this start off on iOS? I can imagine playing this by smooshing one of my fat greasy fingers across a iPhone screen might diminish the experience a little.

Papa Daedalus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 16, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Let's Show Off Xenon 1 (Bitmap Brothers, 1988)

Text Link

Xenon 1 was the first game released by the famous Bitmap Brothers, and, while it looks pretty dated today, it (and the sequel) are pretty good shows for the philosophy of western shooter design in the Amiga/ST generation, albeit in different ways. Bitmap Brothers games, in particular, are known for two things. Firstly, their easily identifiable sprite-work (good metals, rocks, and dirt, all in plentiful supply), and secondly, for all their games being hard as balls. In Xenon 1's case, this is mostly due to the Sentinels, bosses of each area, the "G" Powerup (makes you lose all your powerups except extra-balls), and collisions really hurting.

Reviews of this game were mostly positive, although just three years later, it was considered dated in the visual sense (Not, you'll note, in the gameplay sense. That took a bit longer.)

Couple of things I don't mention in video:

- While the side extras (W) are great for most things, you can have three of the following-type option-balls, which seriously helps against finicky bosses like the first Sentinel if you can aim right. Guess who can't...
- Sentinels have functional invulnerability for their first pattern loop. Shoot anyway, it'll make you feel better.
- This run actually got me about a third to halfway through the entire game. Master it, and it's short.
- Bitmap Brothers was more than two folks... Apologies for that. :v:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 16, 2014

Bearpigman
Feb 19, 2013

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside"

Highwang posted:

I've been trying to get into this myself, but its a tad harsh. At about Stage 3 the difficulty ramps up heinously and its hard to keep your momentum going. I like the weapon shifting in concept, but the homing shot seems piss weak and its alt fire bomb feels so weak in comparison to just spamming homing shot.

You can tell that they used a bunch of ideas in Ether Vapor in Astebreed however, so they certainly polished their mechanics.

yeah, my exact complaint with the game.

It had some cool ideas and concepts but your weak bullets, slow moving ship and slow charge time started really hindering gameplay when the difficulty jumps. You need to keep constantly shielding and that slight delay between shield chargers basically spells death

I'll have to give Astebreed a shot!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Papa Daedalus posted:

While i'm at it, how the hell did this start off on iOS? I can imagine playing this by smooshing one of my fat greasy fingers across a iPhone screen might diminish the experience a little.

Bullet hell is pretty good on ios. Since it just follows your finger, you get control over movespeed and unlimited directional control. It's not great on an iphone just because it's all really tiny, but it's actually pretty great on ipad.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

JamieTheD posted:

Aw yeah. Xenon 2 Megablast was my first "shmup" (even if many people don't consider it one) back in the 80s. Still know that PC speaker music inside out.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

gschmidl posted:

Aw yeah. Xenon 2 Megablast was my first "shmup" (even if many people don't consider it one) back in the 80s. Still know that PC speaker music inside out.

Yeah, I've got a recording of Xenon 2, ready for editing, but sad to say, I had to cheat to even get to the first boss. Considering I beat that game first time when I got it on PC way back when, I... Wasn't particularly chuffed at this.

Also, anyone who doesn't consider it a shmup can die in a fire, because it has a ship, it has powerups, it has bullets, and it has coin-gobbling design. It even has a shop!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

JamieTheD posted:

Looks suspiciously like it's lifting elements directly from R-Type (the side option things in function and appearance) and Gradius (the boss), and those are just the most immediately recognizable elements.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Cheez posted:

Looks suspiciously like it's lifting elements directly from R-Type (the side option things in function and appearance) and Gradius (the boss), and those are just the most immediately recognizable elements.

Cheez, that honestly wouldn't surprise me, because that's often a first-game thing for devs, and because western shmups didn't have a metric fuckton of innovation. The ones we remember for changing up the formula really are the rare examples.

However, the one relationship between this and Big Core Mk. 1 is: You have to shoot the middle bit and it's protected, how annoying. That's it. Big Core had, afaik, different patterns, and a different look (not ovoid, no armour directly over the central core, different plating patterns.) As to the side options, they are balls. When you make the decision to have balls as your option things, you don't have a whole lot of choices. R-Type side options are half-covered and pulse, Xenon options are covered, and don't. Gradius bucked the trend, badboy that it was, and had stars.

Four Shields... One Shield.

If you wanted to go the whole hog with this, you could say that metal stages with pipes are derivative of Uridium, or a number of shooters of the period, the tank is reminiscent of the Uridium ship... The side stages have obstacles reminiscent of Gradius...

Basically, you're very possibly reading too much into things. Not saying it's not possible. Just saying it's probably not a direct ripoff.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2014

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Those are literally the R-Type options. I was focused on them for most of the video and they are orange balls with the little rotating metal cup on them, and they're even rotating on the same axis as the R-Type ones do despite the difference in the view angle.

Papa Daedalus
Aug 11, 2014

MooCowlian posted:

Bullet hell is pretty good on ios. Since it just follows your finger, you get control over movespeed and unlimited directional control. It's not great on an iphone just because it's all really tiny, but it's actually pretty great on ipad.

Yeah i'd figure an iPad screen would be much better for that, my issue is mostly that you could stuff about 6 hitboxes under my finger, not to mention loss of visibility while my hand is hovering over the screen.

Come to think of it, i'd love to see someone try to play Danmaku Unlimited 2 on extreme difficulty via iPad without having a seizure.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

At least in the ios bullet hells I've played, you can hold your finger wherever and it'll move the ship/fairy/whatever around in parallel. Occasionally you have to adjust if you want to use the bottom of the screen because your finger will fall off before the sprite, but it works pretty well just having your finger a little below the ship. There's not often stuff coming from below so a finger pointing half an inch under the ship isn't a big visibility problem. It's been a while since I've played them, but I'm pretty sure the dodonpachi ios games don't actually take up the whole screen anyway, so there's a bit at the bottom to do all your controlling in.

I can see it maybe not being so great for someone who's already good at the genre, but for a casual it's pretty good.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

I was weak in the end, and used trainers (for shame)... But Let's Show Off Xenon 2: MEGABLAST

Text Link

Xenon 2, the second game by the Bitmap Brothers, was, naturally, also a vertical scrolling shmup, but it had differences. Shops. Being able to scroll back down the screen voluntarily (not always for a great distance, but usually enough to get you out of the DEAD ENDS OF DEATH... Providing you weren't blindsided by an enemy coming from behind), and, unlike its predecessor, it had guns. Lots of guns. Shame I don't get to show most of them off, but there are mines, homing shots, piercing missiles, standard shots (and powerups), and, by the last level, your ship is going to end up looking something like this.

Bitmap Brothers would continue their Dick Moves, Shops, and Loadsa Guns philosophy through most of their catalogue, from Xenon 2, all the way up to The Chaos Engine (the arguable exceptions being Magic Pockets, which was almost universally panned, and Speedball, which was more about punching guys and taking their ball.)

If these levels don't grab you, then just GIS Xenon 2 and see some of the other bosses. Xenon 2 was a fine game.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Xeonon 2 has the most awesomely-useless powerup ever - Super Nashwan Power. You buy it in the shops and it gives you every weapon upgrade in the game... for about fifteen seconds.

Guess how many enemies you encounter 15 seconds after the shop. Not many.

But it was awesome too look at.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
One of the main dick moves in Xenon 2 is that enemies can sometimes come from the sides or from the rear. But unlike in R-Type, you cannot just detach your Force equivalent and reattach it to the other end. Instead, you have to sell your old powerups beforehand and buy new ones. And if you were thinking that the Advice item might warn you about this.. remember that you cannot return to the sell screen afterwards, so you might not have money to buy the powerup you need. And you definitely won't have enough money if you try to power through those sections with suboptimal weaponry.

That said, having a full complement of weaponry near the end was :krad:.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

MooCowlian posted:

At least in the ios bullet hells I've played, you can hold your finger wherever and it'll move the ship/fairy/whatever around in parallel. Occasionally you have to adjust if you want to use the bottom of the screen because your finger will fall off before the sprite, but it works pretty well just having your finger a little below the ship. There's not often stuff coming from below so a finger pointing half an inch under the ship isn't a big visibility problem. It's been a while since I've played them, but I'm pretty sure the dodonpachi ios games don't actually take up the whole screen anyway, so there's a bit at the bottom to do all your controlling in.

I can see it maybe not being so great for someone who's already good at the genre, but for a casual it's pretty good.

The only real problem with touchscreen controls for shmups is that it makes it difficult to control your shooting. Typically the game defaults to simply having you fire automatically, which most players will probably be doing anyway. But in games like the DoDonPachi series, sometimes you don't want to be shooting because you need to space out your chain or whatever. You typically have the option of hitting a button onscreen to toggle your shooting on or off, but this can be extremely hard to hit in the middle of a huge enemy attack.

So yeah you're never going to reach the world records for these games on an iPad, but they're still very fun and breezy to play, and pretty cheap too if you have the device already. I think Mushi is like five bucks or something.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I remember having played Xenon 2 as a kid and having forgotten what it's called. One of the bosses is a giant gecko, right?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Welp, I remember having played Xenon 2 as a kid and having forgotten what it's called. One of the bosses is a giant gecko, right?

Yup, believe he's level 3 or 5, can't remember which. I know that you want the side shot as early as you can humanly get it (something I cocked up), and you never want to sell your rear shot... Especially because you have two levels in a row with automatic back-scrolling...

geri_khan posted:

Xeonon 2 has the most awesomely-useless powerup ever - Super Nashwan Power. You buy it in the shops and it gives you every weapon upgrade in the game... for about fifteen seconds.

Fun fact: It also apparently heals you up. But mostly, it's awesome and useless. Hence why I've never actually bought it. I played Cadaver and Gods before I played Xenon 2, so I knew some of the Bitmap Bros naughty tricks.

hirvox posted:

One of the main dick moves in Xenon 2 is that enemies can sometimes come from the sides or from the rear. But unlike in R-Type, you cannot just detach your Force equivalent and reattach it to the other end. Instead, you have to sell your old powerups beforehand and buy new ones. And if you were thinking that the Advice item might warn you about this.. remember that you cannot return to the sell screen afterwards, so you might not have money to buy the powerup you need. And you definitely won't have enough money if you try to power through those sections with suboptimal weaponry.

That said, having a full complement of weaponry near the end was :krad:.

Even worse, note that you can't actually see your credit value in level. This is because credits only last until the shop. That's right, when you couldn't afford something? It's because you didn't kill enough dudes and collect those sweet, sweet credit bubbles. I'm not even gonna pretend that the Bitmap Brothers' idea of difficulty design was anything but whacked: Gods had enemies and spikes warp out of nowhere, and again, what weapons you got really mattered (along with what arc type powerup you had. That was pretty mean), Magic Pockets had destructible walls that weren't too distinguishable from the terrain, and a weapon that was too bloody slow to charge... The only games I would say the design definitely feels right, difficulty wise, are Speedball (because it's a violent sports game, so yes, it's hard) and Cadaver (because it's a solo dungeon crawl.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JamieTheD posted:

Text Link

Xenon 1 was the first game released by the famous Bitmap Brothers, and, while it looks pretty dated today, it (and the sequel) are pretty good shows for the philosophy of western shooter design in the Amiga/ST generation, albeit in different ways. Bitmap Brothers games, in particular, are known for two things. Firstly, their easily identifiable sprite-work (good metals, rocks, and dirt, all in plentiful supply), and secondly, for all their games being hard as balls. In Xenon 1's case, this is mostly due to the Sentinels, bosses of each area, the "G" Powerup (makes you lose all your powerups except extra-balls), and collisions really hurting.

Reviews of this game were mostly positive, although just three years later, it was considered dated in the visual sense (Not, you'll note, in the gameplay sense. That took a bit longer.)

Couple of things I don't mention in video:

- While the side extras (W) are great for most things, you can have three of the following-type option-balls, which seriously helps against finicky bosses like the first Sentinel if you can aim right. Guess who can't...
- Sentinels have functional invulnerability for their first pattern loop. Shoot anyway, it'll make you feel better.
- This run actually got me about a third to halfway through the entire game. Master it, and it's short.
- Bitmap Brothers was more than two folks... Apologies for that. :v:

Bitmap Brothers. So much fun over the years... Friends and I would have massive Speedball marathons/tourneys.

Also, Chaos Engine anyone?

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 17, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xenon 2's a game where progress is controlled entirely by how many powerups you have. Once you've got a decent arsenal behind you, assuming you're halfway decent at avoiding bullets and enemies, it's almost impossible to die. The real trick is surviving long enough to get to that point.

geri_khan posted:

There was also the Bitmap shades, if I remember, which cost five grand and give the shopkeep a pair of :krad: shades and nothing else

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Off to play Chaos Engine: Remastered. Yay GOG!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Chaos Engine counts as a shmup, right?

Because, if so, I have to say, CRIKEY! I DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING SO HARD! (Genesis version) It makes Chakan seem like a skip through the park...

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Samizdata posted:

Chaos Engine counts as a shmup, right?

Because, if so, I have to say, CRIKEY! I DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING SO HARD! (Genesis version) It makes Chakan seem like a skip through the park...

Chakan is a great game. Don't speak ill of it. If Chaos engine is anything like Pocky and Rocky it should be considered a SHMUP.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zain posted:

Chakan is a great game. Don't speak ill of it. If Chaos engine is anything like Pocky and Rocky it should be considered a SHMUP.

Did I badmouth Chakan? Nope. Was just commenting on how bloody tough it was.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Also kinda weird that Chaos Engine is getting such fanfair. Like why does it get it's own HD Remastering. It seems kinda weird.

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Yeah, it was decent at best, but at least it had some better design than some other Bitmap Brothers games such as Gods and Magic Pockets which tended to drag on terribly in places. It also looks like the "remaster" got some pretty scathing reviews.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm back with more proof that I am a masochist! It's time for some Amnios:

Amnios New Episode

Amnios Planet 03: The Weaponry Sonnets

Front cover

Back cover

Manual

AMIGA LOADING INSTRUCTIONS

IMPORTANT: Always switch your machine off for at least 30 seconds
before loading the game. Failure to do so may result in virus
contamination of the AMNIOS master disk. See the Virus Warning and
the Warranty Notice in this manual for further information.

Switch your computer on. Insert a Kickstart disk if so prompted.
When the display prompts for a Workbench disk insert Disk 1 of AMNIOS
in your computer's internal drive. Insert Disk 2 when prompted.
AMNIOS is played with a joystick plugged into the second joystick
port and/or a mouse plugged into the first joystick port.

LOADING TIPS

Should the title screen not appear within 45 seconds of turning on
your machine there may be a problem with your computer system. Check
your computer connections and that the above instructions have been
correctly carried out. If you are sure your computer is functioning
properly (i.e. other software loads successfully) and are still unable
to load AMNIOS then you may have a faulty disk, in which case you may
obtain a free replacement from Psygnosis Ltd. All Psygnosis products
are fully guaranteed.

VIRUS WARNING!

This product is guaranteed by Psygnosis to be virus free. Psygnosis
Ltd accept no responsibility for damage caused to this product
through virus infection.

To avoid virus infection always ensure that your machine is switched
off for at least 30 seconds before loading this game.

AMNIOS

It lurked at Galactic Centre like some obscene worm gnawing at the
heart of a rose. A cancerous lifeform of planetary dimensions that
fed on the very stuff of Space-time, subverting it to its own needs,
shaping it into versions of itself in a parody of procreation. It
was called Life Gone Mad. It was Oncabloc.

The Sapiens of the planet Terra were the dominant sentient species
in a whole quadrant of Homegalaxy, their remorseless diaspora
absorbing the few other spacefaring species peacefully in to the
Culture. Eventually they reached the Heart, Galactic Centre,
so long obscured by immense dust clouds, only to discover the pulsating
chaos there, waiting.

The power and wealth of the Culture was glimpsed by Oncabloc - enough,
if absorbed into its heterogeneous bodies, to render it the most
powerful entity in creation. The horror of its passage as it lunged
at the peaceful and intricate domicile worlds, absorbing their
Lifeforce and Energy, will never be forgotten.

Amnios was created as the Elder Minds struggled to come to terms with
this unknowable Evil. Amnios was a Symbiotic Construct of Machine-
Mind and Biology. Each element a disparate cell in an organism
sharing one consciousness and purpose: to eradicate the malignancy
that threatens all of Life. The best and bravest of all the species
of the Culture volunteered to be represented within

this artificial organism, each a separate entity and yet united into
a benign variation of that which they sought so desperately to destroy.

Like highly mobile bacteria they spread throughout the Oncabloc's heaving
bulk, attacking its sensory and reproductive organs, knowing that if
enough damage could be inflicted to each World-Growth in a short enough
period of time then that growth would be irretrievably terminated.
To this end their weaponry became variations of the Oncabloc's own
Immune Defence System. Turning the creature's own means of protection
upon itself. Each element had to be acquired from the surface, each
piece of genetic information frantically sought to furnish the Fathership
with the ability to manufacture weaponry.

The tiny ships flew to wrest literally vital elements from the Growth
to inflict enough damage to bring about Necrosis; thence to flee to yet
another more powerful World-growth and continue this fight for survival.
Each ship was controlled by a semi-independent Intelligence.

The Game

Use your joystick, mouse or keys to experience the joy of victory or
the bitter sense of failure as you simulate an engagement in combat
against the most deadly of enemies. Navigate your craft over planets,
strategically using whatever fate places at your disposal in your
efforts to rid the Culture finally of this ultimate horror of Death
incarnate.

AMNIOS features ten living planets, each made up of Foliage, Squama or
Epidermis.

Your mission on each of these deadly worlds is to either destroy a
given percentage of the planet's vital organs or to rescue a given
number of encapsulated humanoids.

Any weapon will destroy a planet's vitals but an organ-specific
weapon only requires one shot - to obtain weapons you need to collect
DNA from the planet's surface and take it to your Fathership where arms
are created for you. The four different types of DNA to be found
appertain to the different types of weapons your Fathership can create.

DNA & Weapons:

Red DNA = 3 Smart Bombs
Green DNA = 20 seconds of Shield.
Invulnerability or Repulsion
Blue DNA = Imperishable Laser Enhancements
Yellow DNA = 4 V-Bombs; Heart Attack, BrainBomb, Eyesocker or Veingeance.

V-Bombs are capable of inflicting damage on all living parts of a planet but
organ-specific bombs require just one shot to destroy that organ: The right
V-Bomb for the right job is easily recognizable by its name - HeartAttack,
BrainBomb, EyeSocker and Veingeance Weapons carried are indicated by icons
at the base of the screen.

The ENTER key (on the keypad) scrolls through your weapons and Spacebar
activates the highlighted weapon.

It takes Fatherships some time to make weapons. The ironic twist
to your weapon-building capabilities is that the healthier the planet
is the quicker your Fathership is able to create weapons.

In the top right of the screen are icons which represent the percentage
of living parts remaining on the current planet: Heart; Overall Living
Parts; Brain and Eyes. They disappear as the percentage lessens.

Fathership:

One Fathership is present on the first planet, two on the second,
three on the third and so on. All Fatherships are capable of creating
all types of weapon and of carrying humanoids. Each Fathership can
only support one DNA strain or weapon and one Humanoid at a time.
Hovering inside a Fathership restores your energy.

Humanoids:

To rescue Humanoids, use your BioScanner to find them on the planet's
surface (they show up as pink dots) and fly over them to pick them up
in your Levicradle. Take them to your Fathership to complete the
rescue. Please note that only one Humanoid may be carried by each
Fathership.

Bioscanner:

Your Bioscanner is positioned at the bottom right of the screen. It
details almost all of the planet's surface and indicates the position
of other inhabitants (indigenous and otherwise) in relation to you.
Pink Dots indicate Encapsulated Humanoids
White Dots indicate Snatchers
Light Orange Dots indicate Fatherships
Dark Green Dots indicate DNA
Light Green Dots indicate Wasps
Orange Dots indicate Biobeings

The Enemy:

Each planet has several Brains, Eyes and Hearts as well as a number of
Arteries. Planets also give birth to hordes of alien Biobeings produced
specifically to bring your existence to an end.
Destroying a Brain results in less intelligent Bios being produced by
the planet.
Destroying a Heart results in a reduction of the production of Bios.
Destroying Eyes lessens the Bios' ability to track you.
Destroying Arteries will add to your percentage of destroyed organs
and also slow down Bio attack.

Indigenous Lifeforms:

Snatcher: Guards Humanoids and will pick one up to prevent you rescuing
it but will drop it again after a short time. If you rescue a
humanoid, its guarding Snatcher then hunts you. Snatchers are
invulnerable.

Wasps: Where there's death and decay you'll always find wasps.

Worms: Avoid their deadly jaws at all costs.

Bonded Bios: Attack in formation; hard to kill and difficult to avoid.

The Planets:

Squama Planets: Dragor, Lizzon, Serpon, Repttos.

Foliage Planets: Foress, Bracton, Plantoss.

Epidermis Planets: Hider, Tegumor, Membron.

Guardians:

Once you have rescued the required number of Humanoids, or destroyed
the required percentage of a planet's organs, and are ready to progress
to the next living hell, the malicious celestial body, in a last ditch
attempt to wipe you off its face, creates - out of any and all its
remaining resources - a Guardian. You are warned of their approach
by a change of hue in the planet's surface. These Guardians increase
in power as you progress through the planets and have only one aim in
life: your demise... attack with care!

IMPORTANT: Through all this mayhem your ship can only carry one
Humanoid or DNA strain at a time. But it can carry up to eight
weapons.

Old Videos

Amnios Planet 01: Rhapsody in Green

Amnios Planet 02: Symphony of Skin

Edit:

As promised earlier, everything related to Amnios compiled in one post. (Well, minus the future videos obviously. :v:)

Next time we'll visit a planet looking exactly the same as the third one! But with more humanoids to rescue, more fatherships to follow and of course, more fun!!! :suicide:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Zain posted:

Also kinda weird that Chaos Engine is getting such fanfair. Like why does it get it's own HD Remastering. It seems kinda weird.

Trying to ride the steampunk fad, possibly? The HD version is little more than the AGA Amiga version (which somehow conspired to have more garish colours than the "lesser" OCS Amiga version) with an optional silly bloom filter and 16 way movement. Still, a better save system at least.

It was fun in two player being bastards and nicking each others stuff. Also, NODE ACTIVE

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zain posted:

Because of some of the unique features of the game. Things like an AI companion, a wide variety of playable characters, and the ability to buy up stats?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Papa Daedalus posted:

Danmaku Unlimited 2 - PC, 2014

Here's some dumb video I made about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db2zMqW3e_g

Thanks for showing this off (and with extremely high production quality, to boot); I'd heard about it before but I'd never seen it in action until now. I might actually pick it up myself. I agree with your original post, though; I can't imagine anyone actually playing this with any measure of success on an iPhone.

MarkSoupial
Aug 2, 2014
Eschatos is a 2D shmup trapped in a 3D game. It controls the same as Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins. It seems like you unlock credits the more you play.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So what were the F's for?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Samizdata posted:

So what were the F's for?

F's act as a bomb, clearing bullets and enemies.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Videos
Pocky and Rocky Part 1
Pocky and Rocky Part 2-y

Question for you guys! I was thinking of adding more to the LP with some educational stuff. :eng101: With Yokai Corner where I'd pick one Yokai per video and go into their lore and stuff like that. The question of doing it either end of the video or just have a completely separate video all together. Don't know if anyone would like that or not though.

Jaimers
Jul 30, 2014

MarkSoupial posted:

Eschatos is a 2D shmup trapped in a 3D game. It controls the same as Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins. It seems like you unlock credits the more you play.

Oh hell yes Eschatos.
This game and Ginga Force, by the same developer, are pretty much one of the best and coolest shmups on the 360. They're both region-free so everyone should definitely check them out, especially if you like the perspective changing stuff.

The way the scoring system in Eschatos works is that you get a multiplier after clearing every "wave" of enemies and each enemy that gets away makes you lose a multiplier. Bonuses are also larger the quicker you finish waves and there are hidden 'Wonder Witches' which are like the hidden bees in Dodonpachi. So it very much rewards aggressive play.
There's also a shield mechanic that absorbs bullets. The effectiveness of the cancel is dependent on the bullet type.

Also seriously, buy Ginga Force.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Streaming some 1cc attempts of NMK's underrated shmup, Thunder Dragon 2.

http://www.twitch.tv/iastsa

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

:stare: ... Did I just watch Dragonball Z, the Shmup? Because seriously, that boss fight was so full of dramatic yelling, I think my ears are bleeding...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JamieTheD posted:

:stare: ... Did I just watch Dragonball Z, the Shmup? Because seriously, that boss fight was so full of dramatic yelling, I think my ears are bleeding...

NooooOOOOOOOO! DO NOT MOCK THE IMPORTANCE OF WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!

WHEN I SPEAK, MY VOLUME IS A DIRECT INDICATOR TO THE PRIORITY THE THING I AM SPEAKING OF >HAS TO ME<!

>>DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM SAYING! ARE WE CLEAR ON THAT!<<

Good. lovely.

cheers.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

After that I want to buy it's soundtrack because holy poo poo, that boss song rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarkSoupial
Aug 2, 2014
Shoot 1UP takes the two-ships concept from Galaga and... does... something with it, I don't know. Instead of dying and coming back as another ship, the game just gives you all your lives at once. The more ships you have as part of your "Phalanx" the better your weapons are.

It's pretty neat, if a bit easy, and it's like a dollar (for the 360 XNA version, the Windows Phone 7 version is $3).

I've been trying to figure out a good way to show off YGS2000. I think this just about sums it up:

YGS2000 is a bullet hell simulator to practice dodging shot patterns from all sorts of shmups, including "The Hardest Video Game Boss Ever" (at the time it was made).

MarkSoupial fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 21, 2014

• Locked thread