Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Crush the Sultanate, see them driven before us, and hear the lamentations of their women.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, because there's no way to push for peace, we should probably focus on Crushing the Sultanate before worrying about anyone else. We can beef up the border a little, but I doubt we will get attacked.

Also, I thought the AI was too dumb to attack our rear? :smugdog:

I admit, it was nice to see the AI launch an amphibious assautl, even if it got driven back.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Just because our foes will not accept peace offers doesn't mean we shouldn't make them. Just think how bad we would look post-war of we didn't. Start winning hearts and minds now. After this is all said and done, we can point to our opposition's insane leaders to shoulder much of the blame for such massive loss of life that a war to the bitter end will cause. We're going to be the victors, so why not start writing our version of history now?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Pvt.Scott posted:

Just because our foes will not accept peace offers doesn't mean we shouldn't make them. Just think how bad we would look post-war of we didn't. Start winning hearts and minds now. After this is all said and done, we can point to our opposition's insane leaders to shoulder much of the blame for such massive loss of life that a war to the bitter end will cause. We're going to be the victors, so why not start writing our version of history now?

Let the history books show all our peace overtures were rejected.*

*Even if we don't make any.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I heard the allies were also developing a Death Ray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Focus on the Sultanate. To divert forces when you have so nearly pocketed their entire army and secured an advantage even McClellan couldn't completely fritter away would be the height of folly.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Pimpmust posted:

I heard the allies were also developing a Death Ray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HgejSCHRi8

Well, this does bring up something important.

Research Death Melons and destroy the Sultinate

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We lose a submarine to an air strike off the coast of the Sultinates continent. Elsewhere though we hit them hard.

Their offensive has cost them a lot of troops, and they are forced to retreat a little. Their front line now looks nice and weak.

We hit them hard, cutting off their troops and preparing to force our way north.

The Sultinate breaks our pocket, killing some of our infantry, but it costs them a lot of tanks to do so.

I think its time to use some cards.

Leperflesh will play the Blitz card, making his armour more powerful at the chance of killing him. This should allow me to blast through the Sultinate lines and break their resistance here.

Time to blitzkrieg.

The tanks roll into action, smashing their way through the first line of resistance.

And then the second.

The third falls as quickly.

We close up and eliminate a large part of the pocket. This is how you use a blitz card. The enemy will have to retreat now or risk me cutting off more of their troops.

Two more subs go down, but they are hurting the enemies supply lines. More worrying is the rate at which I'm burning through my fuel supplies. Last turns rapid movement used a massive part of my reserves.

The subs find some cargo ships – this will be enemy units being moved across the sea, as supply movement is abstracted.

We cement our advance, but cannot make much more of it.

The fuel levels bounce back a bit, and the Sultinate attacks cost them a lot of men. The subs begin to really bite into their supply lines as well.

We take Mengoub, this leave them with only Tabruk as a supply port. Most of our troops need infantry replacements to be able to attack properly. So for now, the attack will stall somewhat.

Leperflesh gets promoted once more. The Sultinate continue to lose troops in futile attacks.

Winter and the need to refresh our troops slows our attacks down. We secure our holdings and and isolate an enemy force.

Fuel reserves are dropping again, but at least we are hurting them with our blockade – that's the “As Kill” column. They are trying to send in fresh troops, but some of them are getting sunk on the way there!

I order the boosting of two of our oil production facilities to higher levels. I need to focus on this now I have a lot of tanks.

We make a small jump forward, but a lot of these units need to rest now – I'm having problems supplying the air cover they need for some reason I can't figure out. The units are there, but they refuse to move or attack for some reason.

I'll figure it out, but as its been a while since the last update, I thought I should post something.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Making good progress. Are there any benefits to holding an enemy city? I'm not very familiar with these kinds of games.

Also can we get a world map update? I want to see how we are doing versus all the other powers

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Report from the Front:

Great success in the field! Shot below a 70 today. Very pleased. Hear the war continues elsewhere. Nasty bit of luck for those chaps, thought I certainly envy General Leperflesh, he seems to be climbing the ranks quite nicely. Ah well, everything in its duly appointed time.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

CongoJack posted:

Making good progress. Are there any benefits to holding an enemy city? I'm not very familiar with these kinds of games.

Also can we get a world map update? I want to see how we are doing versus all the other powers

Enemy cities are mostly about political points and denying production, since you can't make supplies or troops if they don't share your ethnicity. This doesn't apply to resource buildings or factories which will gladly work for any country that holds them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cercadelmar posted:

Enemy cities are mostly about political points and denying production, since you can't make supplies or troops if they don't share your ethnicity. This doesn't apply to resource buildings or factories which will gladly work for any country that holds them.

Do cities generate political points?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Volmarias posted:

Do cities generate political points?

Yeah, you can set a city's production to political points. When you get some enemy cities under control, you can focus your original cities on unit/supply production.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Also that doesn't apply to AI factions, who get to make whatever, wherever as a part of their buffs to make them competitive against human players.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cercadelmar posted:

Also that doesn't apply to AI factions, who get to make whatever, wherever as a part of their buffs to make them competitive against human players.

The AI also doesn't require PPs to make subunits, which makes sense.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nice job Grey Hunter! Only 1 city left to go here. Looks like it's going to be hard fighting straight up that peninsula though. Doesn't look like there's much room to maneuver.

Why do you need air cover to fight on the ground?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

LLSix posted:

Nice job Grey Hunter! Only 1 city left to go here. Looks like it's going to be hard fighting straight up that peninsula though. Doesn't look like there's much room to maneuver.

Why do you need air cover to fight on the ground?

Just a guess, but it might also include the bombers (level and dive) that he's built.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Things you can learn from reading the manual:
You can use engineers to upgrade resources.

No wonder I was always so short of ore.

:negative:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Hey Grey, are there actually air force commanders in this game? I'm hoping they are, but if not maybe I should join the navy instead.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Fintilgin posted:

Things you can learn from reading the manual:
You can use engineers to upgrade resources.

No wonder I was always so short of ore.

:negative:

This is pretty much a necessity, at least until you start taking resources that the AI has. Level 1 resources don't produce a lot at all.

The AI upgrades its resources in a different way, but it's basically on a timer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My power is growing with every month that passes. Mwa ha ha ha ha!

I mean, uh, nice going there GH. Very happy to be of service.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Captured enemy cities can also generate synthetic oil. I like the logistical side of this game, information is clearly displayed, and in my second game against AI I'm starting to get a general grasp of things.

Grizzwold posted:

Hey Grey, are there actually air force commanders in this game? I'm hoping they are, but if not maybe I should join the navy instead.

Commanders are attached to HQ's, and any HQ takes any kind of unit. I don't think there's any reason to group air units in "Air HQ", because AFAIK HQ's are mostly about distributing supplies and staff leadership bonus. That's why Grey has mentioned that hitting enemy HQ is worth it - you decrease combat abilities to all connected units.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
So are there actually any commanders for the air-force a thing? Or are my hopes for leading the goonwaffe for nought?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

I am worried by the rapidly dropping fuel supplies.

The Sultinate has cut off three Divisions – three armoured divisions with nearly a thousand points of fire power.

Silly Sultinate. We strike back and smash through their front line. We take another oil site, which will be critical at this stage. I also upgrade another of our oil production sites.

The fuel supply bounces back a good amount. We lose some infantry tot he enemies attack but give better than we get as normal.

Our air force decides they want to take part in the war, and we throw them into action.

When the land forces go in, they find little real resistance.

A huge hole is opened in the enemies front, but we deplete our fuel reserves in one month! We cannot afford to keep using our tanks like this.

I adjust production – We cannot afford to use our tanks or planes like this – while it gets results, we need to think of infantry as our main weapon for a time. I am also forced to revert to horses to try and help the movement of supplies!

Upgrading the oil production sites is now out priority!

Note to self: Amazing blitzkrieg attacks drink fuel. Switch to human wave attacks.

We make a small advance, but without being able to hammer the enemy with air power, there is a limit on what we can do. I am now hoping that the Sultinate has not fortified that bottleneck to the north.

Kent State is hammering the Soviets – they are advancing fast.

The Gangzou Fiefdom has also made a breakthrough against the Orleans Dominion, and has taken Carcassonne.

Fuel is building up once more, and we are killing a good amount of supplies with our subs. The problem is if I wait for my fuel supplies to recover to much, the enemy will have time to reinforce and dig in. I need to strike a balance.

I commit three armoured divisions to an attack, the enemy flees.

This and some other attacks burns half my fuel supplies.

We lose two more subs to air strikes.

The enemy has invested in heavy artillery, this causes some of our losses for this turn.

I order an airstrike to take them out, but the Sultanate has also moved in some fighters!

Our own fighters go into action, but we are not able to do more than drive them off with some losses. I order our factory to begin producing fighters to counter this threat.

We move forwards. Slowly but surely.

Fuel is holding steady.

We cut a large part of the Sultinate forces off from their supply line. They are doomed and I shall be able to crush them quickly.

We have 280 political points, and the oil wells are as efficient as they are going to get. We should begin planning for the invasion of a new sultanate land. Which techs should we be thinking of?

I will be putting a new force together for this attack – I already have 700 rifle units in reserve. We can attack east towards Gondrani and Mocha, or south towards their capital.

Should I concentrate on transports, or build a fleet of warships first?

Should we go East or South?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
East first.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Go South and claim some new beach resorts!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Go South, towards their capital.

Build warships first while we secure our land. After that go for transports.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Warships first, they're a maritime nation. Head South for decapitation.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

South with the Warships! But get some scouting done with the subs - we need enough ships to protect the invasion force, but we need to land quickly before they fortify their capitol too much and before other nations (Kent State!) finish conquering their first foes and get too far ahead of us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Build a fleet of warships to sink as protection for the transports. Go East and make our borders pretty!

Can battleships and other naval units bombard land units?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Fighter 2! Counter the Sultinate's growing air power.

Transport ships! It's not a GH unless you get an entire army helplessly sunk.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pretty borders demand that you go south

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Warships and South.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Volmarias posted:

Build a fleet of warships to sink as protection for the transports. Go East and make our borders pretty!

Can battleships and other naval units bombard land units?

There is a button for naval bombardment yeah.

Preid
May 22, 2014
Send those Warships South.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Send those Warships East.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Warships to the south.

Sending 700 rifle units to a watery grave would be great invitation for a Gangzou invasion. Let's make sure the waters are safe first. Also, it looks like their lands to the south have a good deal of oil.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Pakled posted:

Sending 700 rifle units to a watery grave would be great invitation for a Gangzou invasion. Let's make sure the waters are safe first. Also, it looks like their lands to the south have a good deal of oil.

We truly are the most Japanese country in this war, aren't we?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What are all the resources? And which ones we are lacking the most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Research Machinegun II
Most of our army is still infantry and with the oil shortage they will have to carry their own weight. So the boost to defensive power machinegun II gives would be usefull I think.

• Locked thread