Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
(Ep 11 Direct Link)

Featuring Shlapintogan

The skills taken at the level up in this video were all passives. Conservative casting for the mage tree, extra damage and more arrows from the rogue tree, and more additional moves for our longsword from the warrior tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
When it comes to universalists, do you prefer lots of passives over having to manage actives from all the classes, or is this just a thing for the level?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

When it comes to universalists, do you prefer lots of passives over having to manage actives from all the classes, or is this just a thing for the level?

I'm gonna be honest, my strategy while leveling up is to just grab whatever skills look the most useful. I tend to gravitate towards passives, as I'm playing with a controller instead of a keyboard, and can only have four skills easily accessible at any given time.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

SourceElement posted:

I'm gonna be honest, my strategy while leveling up is to just grab whatever skills look the most useful. I tend to gravitate towards passives, as I'm playing with a controller instead of a keyboard, and can only have four skills easily accessible at any given time.

Playing on the PC, I found I got the most use out of the 'buffs', which are pseudo-passives since you toggle them on and ignore them.
Heck, the spells barely did anything more than my Chakra did, and it interrupted my 'flow' of hitting everyone a bunch of times and then rolling away before the chakra are even back in my hands.

I don't know if I just chose a low difficulty setting or if I just ground a bunch first, but I found Generalist entirely playable even early in the game.
The main problem with Generalist is that you don't get to go too far up the tree too quickly - spreading the points out doesn't really matter if you're putting them into pseudo-passives (or real passives for that matter) since it's about the same as if the skills were on the same tree.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah, passives, buffs, and maybe two active spells are pretty much what you need. It's nice that there are a lot of abilities to pick from, and that almost any build is viable, but I wish some of the actives were better.

I think my rogue/mage had one or two big AOE spells to say hello with, then a bunch of passive buffs to make the melee attacks do stupid amounts of damage.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
'Now would have been a good time to go into reckoning mode' <- About every fifth fight in the entire game.

It took me ages to realise that you don't actually need to save reckoning mode for boss fights; you recover threads of fate sufficiently quickly that you can basically use it on every 5th or 6th group of enemies you come across. Reckoning mode is nothing like as precious as it seems like it should be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That was a very satisfying reckoning mode. Does that guy always run all over the map, or was his pathing just off then?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I think you can hit him with a ranged attack to get him to come back after you, but otherwise, yeah, he sprints all over the place.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Im pretty sure I went exclusively for the passive weapon skills to unlock all the :krad: chakram/beyblade moves. Amalur is definitely my favorite playing rpg, if only there wasn't literally a thousand sidequests.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Ep 12 Direct Link)

Feat. Shlapintogan

A few things: first off, as you can tell I am no longer SourceElement. Secondly, I have absolutely no idea what I got in the level up in this update. I have the images from it, but I recorded this thing back in July, created the video in August, commented on it in September, and now finally produced it in October. So for simplicity's sake I'm just gonna go with "passives" to answer the question. The level up images are below in case you're curious.

EDIT: I also tried something new with the audio, though I'm not sure how well it worked out. Let me know if the video is too quiet or too loud or too something.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 10, 2014

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The video's set to private.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

God dammit youtube.

Video should be public now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

DoubleNegative posted:

A few things: first off, as you can tell I am no longer SourceElement.

Did you used to be SourceElement? I thought you were always DoubleNegative :stonk:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Neruz posted:

Did you used to be SourceElement? I thought you were always DoubleNegative :stonk:

I wasn't not SourceElement.

Anyway, informal poll. Upon further reflection, I'm gonna combine Haxhi and Webwood. Most of the caves in Haxhi are quest destinations, and as a standalone video it would be pretty boring because quests from all over Dalentarth take you there. So, should I swap Lisa to another spec? Should I swap weapons? Should I bother going into Haxhi at all and just save it for later and do the much more interesting content instead?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

DoubleNegative posted:

Anyway, informal poll. Upon further reflection, I'm gonna combine Haxhi and Webwood. Most of the caves in Haxhi are quest destinations, and as a standalone video it would be pretty boring because quests from all over Dalentarth take you there. So, should I swap Lisa to another spec? Should I swap weapons? Should I bother going into Haxhi at all and just save it for later and do the much more interesting content instead?

Is anything interesting newly unlocked for any of the specs by this point?

Also the early game is so indistinct at this point that I have no idea what Haxhi even is. Might as well show it off though so we can experience the joy of Amalur's bloat.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I think Lisa thinks it is now Hammer Time. As such, we should accommodate her with a pure melee build.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't think i went to Haxhi went i played the game so yeah i'd be interested to see it, i also would like to see a pure Melee spec with the Hammer and whatever works well with it.

Also wanted to say you that even if i haven't yet watched the videos i have decided to rebuy it (I lost my disc) because you reminded me how much fun i had with this game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I actually bought this game on sale some time after seeing this LP and seconding it's a lot of fun. The combat is intuitive enough and questing simple enough for it to be just perfect when I want to turn my brain off and relax on autopilot.
Also chakrams are great.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
What the easiest spec to start with for someone who has either not played for a long time and forgot almost all of the game or new to it?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Sramaker posted:

What the easiest spec to start with for someone who has either not played for a long time and forgot almost all of the game or new to it?

When I played (because of this LP), I went with a pure Finesse build, and just trounced everything!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sramaker posted:

Straight sorcery, wielding chakrams. There's a good Iron Chakram for sale at the bar in the first town, start with staves and you should be able to get it within a couple quests. Defense is useless, and offense trumps everything. If you like chakram fighting more than spells you can go finesse/sorcery build. Do not go straight finesse or might.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

AltaBrown posted:

When I played (because of this LP), I went with a pure Finesse build, and just trounced everything!

Sorcery is great, and Might is alright, but Finesse is just stupid overpowered. I'd recommend a mixture between either Sorcery or Might and Finesse.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sramaker posted:

You really can't go wrong with any spec. Combat is just mash X/LMB until the other guy falls over dead. Though FactsAreUseless is right as well. Use Chakrams and the game practically lies down and waits for you to win. They're high damage, fast attack, and combo with pretty much any other weapon decently well. You've seen how easy the combat is for me, and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty.

Also looks like we'll be taking a tour of Haxhi before continuing on to Webwood. Hope you like trolls!

also probably will swap to a pure might build at the same time

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Uh i forgot to ask but weapons would go well along with chakrams?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Sramaker posted:

Pretty much anything, I personally like to roll with a Hammer because Hammer animations are excellent and meaty as gently caress, but arguably a longsword is a better choice as it gives you more options in melee.

Fortunately this game does not require you to min\max, even on the highest difficulty level you can still play joke builds perfectly well; though killing things might become a bit of a slog.

Weapon choice is really entirely up to the player, Chakrams are amazing because they have the best attack 'forms' in the game but literally any weapon except the bow works fine.

The bow is meh, it's more important on higher difficulty levels when the extra damage from arrowing dudes is actually relevant but otherwise it's mostly a waste of time, though with the right skills it too can become a murderboat.

Amalur is far from perfect, but one thing I think they did definitely get right is the combat and the weapon types. If someone could combine the Amalur gameplay with a story that is, uh shall we say less complicated and involving fewer unpronounceable words I reckon the result would sell like hotcakes. Amalur is great fun, but it's not hard.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 16, 2014

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Neruz posted:

Amalur is far from perfect, but one thing I think they did definitely get right is the combat and the weapon types. If someone could combine the Amalur gameplay with a story that is, uh shall we say less complicated and involving fewer unpronounceable words I reckon the result would sell like hotcakes. Amalur is great fun, but it's not hard.
I agree with this post 100%. I love action RPG's and I really enjoyed this one, despite the halfassed story and setting. The combat in this game is easily the most fun in this genre.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Neruz posted:

I'd say they did pick one loser with scepters. Bow's are mediocre at best, but at least they can do damage and don't take mana you could be using for actual abilities.

Amalur's biggest problem is that the creator was just way too ambitious. They hoped to spin it out into a sprawling MMO sequel, but didn't take care to make what they had interesting and accessible (to this day, I can't be bothered to so much as remember the name of a single NPC) enough on its own to set the ground work for that. If they'd taken the time to focus on this one game and put everything else on the backburner, they could have at least managed one sequel.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 16, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Geostomp posted:

I'd say they did pick one loser with scepters. Bow's are mediocre at best, but at least they can do damage and don't take mana you could be using for actual abilities.

Amalur's biggest problem is that the creator was just way too ambitious. They hoped to spin it out into a sprawling MMO sequel, but didn't take care to make what they had interesting and accessible (to this day, I can't be bothered to so much as remember the name of a single NPC) enough on its own to set the ground work for that. If they'd taken the time to focus on this one game and put everything else on the backburner, they could have at least managed one sequel.

The story is definitely Amalur's weakest point. It's not actually a bad story but it is extremely poorly executed for the player.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neruz posted:

The story is definitely Amalur's weakest point. It's not actually a bad story but it is extremely poorly executed for the player.

Also i have the official guide for the game and i won't spoil anything but yeah reading it told something that might not be im the game.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
What kind of side quests should i avoid? I there are some of them that are really bad and i don't want to get burned out because of those.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sramaker posted:

What kind of side quests should i avoid? I there are some of them that are really bad and i don't want to get burned out because of those.

Yes.

No seriously. Avoid all almost all of the sidequests except for the fighters guild, mage's guild, thieve's guild, and the larp guild. Then if you're still curious, go back through and grab any ones that catch your attention.

Also no update yet. I've been sick and coughed way too much - enough to affect my voice for the majority of the past week. Nobody wants to hear that.

You know, in case people thought I was being lazy and procrastinating. Again.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

He isn't kidding around. My file's somewhere around 80 hrs and I'm not even halfway done with the game.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
This game really is a single player mmorpg with action game combat.

And yeah, do any sidequests that sound interesting to you and do not be at all afraid to just skip a sidequest if it sounds stupid and\or boring. Also don't do any of the misc quests that take place across multiple zones (like those loving books), gently caress the misc quests.

Also remember that if you run out of quests in an area or get bored, in true MMO fashion there will usually be a different zone entirely you can go hang out in which is at your level range, you can also just say 'gently caress em' and run into a zone you are way underlevelled for and skill your way to victory which can be immensely satisfying. Thanks to the action game style combat is totally possible to take on enemies ten or twenty levels higher than yourself if you are quick and good at dodging.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Sramaker posted:

The quest log, seriously, sorts them into categories for you. It's one of the nicest features actually. There's main quest, side quest, maybe useful, and bullshit space-bear-rear end collection categories. Do 1, 2, some of 3 at your leisure, ignore 4.

Sramaker posted:

I used chakrams and daggers for the most part, then chakrams and a sword when I wanted to switch it up.

jboslund
Jan 27, 2009
Transcending the slog is the key to the meta plot as far as I'm concerned. Think of it this way: What's-his-face on mount doom knows you're coming to murder him, so he lays down thousands of side quests to slow you down and burn you out, at which point you uninstall.

Game Over
Return of Ganon

You haven't truly awakened to your powers as the fateless one until you've cut through the veil of illusion, by telling everyone to gently caress off with their inane problems and mainlining the critical path.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also a helpful tip: the fire power in the sorcery tree, the one that marks enemies that you can then blow up, can basically stunlock most enemies. Shoot, explode, repeat. It has a crazy fast cooldown. It's especially effective on a lot of otherwise-dangerous large enemies. If at any point you are having trouble with the game (and you shouldn't, because it is very easy), just go into a pure-sorcery chakram build.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

FactsAreUseless posted:

it is very easy

In my experience: Only if you stick to the intended progression.
If you decide 'Oooh, I haven't been THERE before, but I've got this quest to collect toe-nail-clippings from all over the world to build a giant toe-nail-statue and it's telling me to go there... Let's do it!' - I'm referring to a different quest, but I decided I'd rather mock the sometimes-ridiculous quest-goals rather than give spoilers - then you might easily have trouble due to being under-leveled.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So wait, you just blundered into somebody's master plan and bullshitted a reason for him to give up?

That's actually kind of funny.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Flying Fish posted:

Transcending the slog is the key to the meta plot as far as I'm concerned. Think of it this way: What's-his-face on mount doom knows you're coming to murder him, so he lays down thousands of side quests to slow you down and burn you out, at which point you uninstall.

Game Over
Return of Ganon

You haven't truly awakened to your powers as the fateless one until you've cut through the veil of illusion, by telling everyone to gently caress off with their inane problems and mainlining the critical path.

I genuinely like this interpretation of events and, while I don't believe it was developer intended, I do believe it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

A lot of the side quests are basically "go to dungeon and do thing", and there's really no reason not to take those since the dungeons are usually worth doing.

• Locked thread