Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

Someone is forgetting Branson and Yakov Smirnoff.

Kansas really should have built that Wizard of Oz park in De Soto or wherever so they could fight with Branson.

I saw a fake dinosaur park on the way to Colby, I'd like to think they have an interstate rivalry going on with whatever Branson has going on, Blind Coon Cabin Woods or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Raku posted:

Jesus Christ, an Auburn vs Alabama national championship game would lead to goddamned world war 3

Naw, they would just wall off all of Alabama, throw in a bunch of weapons and make it into the Thunderdome.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is a blatant photoshop, New Jersey doesn't have color

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

swickles posted:

Naw, they would just wall off all of Alabama, throw in a bunch of weapons and make it into the Thunderdome.

Insha'allah.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Kibner posted:

The only place I have been through that has no reason to ever have humans entertain the thought of living there is west Texas.

West Texas owns, sorry.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Ooh speaking of awesome parts of lovely states, the only time I ever went to Arkansas was to Eureka Springs, which is an offbeat sort of town in a beautiful part of the Ozarks. Went to a multi-day outdoor rave/burn type of thing, had a blast with a bunch of crazy hippies every night, slept and went swimming every day. From what I gather Arkansas is not cool in general but the Arkansas I went to was pretty fun.

I hear similar things about Asheville, NC.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

West Texas owns, sorry.

No it doesn't. Everything west of San Antonio is basically a giant litter box full of scraggly little bushes

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

swickles posted:

Would you really need to throw in any weapons.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Would you really need to throw in any weapons.

Just to make it interesting. I would love to watch a fight between two fans, one armed with nunchunks that he has never used, and the other 9 ft long pike.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Bamageddon

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

swickles posted:

"Who run Barter T-town, PAAAAAWWWWLLLL?"

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Sash! posted:

No it doesn't. Everything west of San Antonio is basically a giant litter box full of scraggly little bushes

Yes, how ugly.

Truly hideous.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Heaf posted:

All Hail West Texas

There is a hell of a lot of Hail.

Kibner posted:

The interstate to get to New Mexico and Carlsbad Caverns. All I remember seeing is the sky, cracked dirt, and maybe a cactus or bush every couple miles. This was more than 10 years ago, though.

285 that goes up to Carlsbad? That's a pretty desolate highway. Doesn't help that Carlsbad and Eastern New Mexico are pretty crappy places too.

You can draw a line from Amarillo to Lubbock to Big Spring to San Angelo to Junction. West of that and east/north of the mountains is horribly ugly. Minus Monahans. Monahans was kinda cool.

At least on the Texas side, you can go 80+mph without fear of being ticketed.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yes, how ugly.

Truly hideous.

You know that of the apparently billion square miles of West Texas, that's less than 1% of that region. When you don't cherry pick and just drop Streetview in a random spot, you get this http://goo.gl/maps/c1FzX

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Sash! posted:

You know that of the apparently billion square miles of West Texas, that's less than 1% of that region. When you don't cherry pick and just drop Streetview in a random spot, you get this http://goo.gl/maps/c1FzX

I'm sure there is beauty in central Pennsylvania too that none of us will ever know about

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Sash! posted:

You managed to find hills!

I mean, if you're going to play that game, there's a whole hell of a lot of ugly spots in this state:
Street View Game. Your entry actually is fairly redeeming.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

swickles posted:

Can I watch that on the SEC Network?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
gently caress all gators, gently caress Auburn, gently caress Tech, Go Gurshall, Go Dawgs.

would the ACL gods please be nice to us this year :cripes:

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006
I learned today my work schedule has changed from 6 10 hour days per week to 4 10 hour days per week beginning next week. Just in time for the season to begin. gently caress a... well, all of UT's rivals are doing solid. gently caress a Gator anyways.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Clemson's last day of camp features steak and crab legs. No word on who stole them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kayakyakr posted:

You managed to find hills!

I mean, if you're going to play that game, there's a whole hell of a lot of ugly spots in this state:
Street View Game. Your entry actually is fairly redeeming.

I really like the Street View Game.

Here's a place that I particularly hate because some 20-something failure of a woman ran a stop sign and screwed up my car on my big road trip last year: Dalhart, Tx

Here's the Kermit, TX football stadium. I was supremely disappointed when I found that their team was not "the frogs".

And to make it college related, here's the Texas Tech's Jones AT&T stadium as it was a few winters ago. They hadn't finished the video board the last time the car drove by. It actually looks a bit like a stadium from this side.

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I learned today my work schedule has changed from 6 10 hour days per week to 4 10 hour days per week beginning next week. Just in time for the season to begin. gently caress a... well, all of UT's rivals are doing solid. gently caress a Gator anyways.

yeah, my current schedule of 4 14-hour days, one of which is Saturday, is going to blow

at least I get Oklahoma/Texas day off :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kayakyakr posted:

There is a hell of a lot of Hail.

285 that goes up to Carlsbad? That's a pretty desolate highway. Doesn't help that Carlsbad and Eastern New Mexico are pretty crappy places too.

You can draw a line from Amarillo to Lubbock to Big Spring to San Angelo to Junction. West of that and east/north of the mountains is horribly ugly. Minus Monahans. Monahans was kinda cool.

At least on the Texas side, you can go 80+mph without fear of being ticketed.

Yeah, that's probably it. Growing up, my immediate and extended family took road trips on our family vacations and the most popular destination was Las Vegas. We would plan the trip to hit a bunch of different tourist things on the way (Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, etc.) but I just remember being bored as all hell on that stretch of drive through Texas and I guess part of New Mexico. Just absolutely flat land with little to no vegetation or sign of civilization for like four hours.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Heaf posted:

I went to Manitowoc, Wisconsin a few weeks ago and it's a nice town situated on Lake Michigan. It's cool.

Ultimately what you think of a place will be rendered meaningless because of the effects of climate change. Now, let's talk about football.

Let's predict who makes the Playoff and the other Bowls.

Rose Bowl UCLA v Alabama

Sugar Bowl Auburn v FSU

Championship FSU v Alabama

Orange Bowl: Clemson vs Michigan State

Fiesta Bowl: Stanford vs Oklahoma

Peach Bowl: UGA v ECU

These are boring and probably wrong but there are my guesses.

I'm thinking

Rose Bowl - Oregon vs Alabama
Sugar Bowl - FSU vs Baylor

Championship - Oregon vs Baylor :flashfap:

quote:

All Hail West Texas
:hfive:

EDIT: Don't visit Geneva, OH. It's really boring, and on Lake Erie.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Championship - Oregon vs Baylor :flashfap:

:flashfap::respek::flashfap:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Most of Wyoming is more desolate than West Texas, at least from my experience driving through them both. Wyoming is better, but both are just full of fracking and drilling stations and horses.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
California is really nice

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

California is really nice

parts of it, mainly coastal and northern parts

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The deserts are pretty in their own way. Mainly at night. And in winter.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
San Francisco is great! LA is a shithole.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MAO TSE-TUNGACUNT posted:

I'm sure there is beauty in central Pennsylvania too that none of us will ever know about

It's at least green.

Of all the states I've driven hundreds of miles across or observed from the window of a train, West Virginia or Western Virginia is probably the prettiest. South Carolina was the blandest. Western Ohio is the ugliest.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 20, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The Little Caesars Bowl is officially dead, which I was pretty sure was announced like in the Spring but apparently not. Rip Pizza Bowl.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

buddhanc posted:

Most of Wyoming is more desolate than West Texas, at least from my experience driving through them both. Wyoming is better, but both are just full of fracking and drilling stations and horses.

The main thing I remember about Wyoming is they have big herds of these guys who I have been assured for some reason way more than is necessary are not antelopes:

Well that and sitting around in the car on a normal looking road wondering if the herd of cattle hanging out in the middle of it were ever going to move on. Open range is weird if you aren't used to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

The deserts are pretty in their own way. Mainly at night. And in winter.

When I was with the Baylor band on our way back from the Fiesta Bowl, we spent a day at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum. It was actually really pretty once you get over how loving hot it is. I thought the geography was really interesting, and the museum (really more of a zoo/controlled nature hike) had some really good views of some of the local wildlife. Got a pretty closeup view of some coyotes, visited a mockingbird house, etc.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I have been assured for some reason way more than is necessary are not antelopes:

I guess PRONGHORN AREN'T REALLY ANTELOPES is the American West version of KOALAS AREN'T REALLY BEARS?

Today I learned pronghorn aren't really antelopes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Morby posted:

San Francisco is great! LA is a shithole.

LA is actually really cool and fun.

The area in between LA and San Francisco could cease to exist tomorrow and the world wouldn't lose a ton though.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sash! posted:

Western Ohio is the ugliest.

You don't like soybeans and corn? Northwest Indiana is worse.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide
I'm having a buddy put a parlay in Vegas this weekend on the playoff with Oregon, Oklahoma, Auburn, and FSU making it in. There is no actual way they would put Alabama and Auburn in the playoff if it's chosen by committee. Not in a million loving years.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

ACoolT5 posted:

I'm having a buddy put a parlay in Vegas this weekend on the playoff with Oregon, Oklahoma, Auburn, and FSU making it in. There is no actual way they would put Alabama and Auburn in the playoff if it's chosen by committee. Not in a million loving years.

Yeah, it'll be Alabama and South Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Sash! posted:

I guess PRONGHORN AREN'T REALLY ANTELOPES is the American West version of KOALAS AREN'T REALLY BEARS?

Today I learned pronghorn aren't really antelopes.

Pronghorns are p cool though. They were friendly guys

• Locked thread