Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
College football's offseason is long and it is finally over. Sort of. NCAA football begins a week from Wednesday (!) when Abilene Christian takes on Georgia State. With that little time, i figured it would be the right time to start talking about games and players and coaches and all of that.

NCAA FOOTBALL STUDY GUIDE 2014

No more BCS, now a playoff

The BCS spent the better part of 16 years being a subject of debate. It tried to match up the two best teams in the country to play for the title through a combination of human and computer polls. It was not well-received, as a tournament format existed in every sport at every level in the NCAA. Now, there IS a playoff. It is all of 4 teams. At the end of the year, a selection committee (like basketball) will pick what they deem the four best teams in the country to play for the Championship. Polls will still exist, but like basketball, they will simply be a measure of how well a team is doing at the time.

The semi-finals will be on New Year's Day and will be at the Rose and Sugar Bowls. The winners from these games will advance to the championship game at AT&T Stadium.

Much like the BCS era, there are still big payout bowls, or what are known as "contract bowls". If you win your conference but do not advance you may participate in these bowls:

Orange Bowl: ACC vs. highest ranked team from SEC, Big Ten, or Notre Dame

Sugar Bowl: SEC Champ vs Big XII Champ

Rose: Big Ten Champ and Pac-12 Champ

With the Rose and Sugar being semi-finals this year, the displaced teams (either champions or at-large from conferences) will go to either the Fiesta, Cotton, or Peach Bowls. Let's say UCLA beats Stanford in the Pac-12 CG and advances to the Playoff. Stanford would go to the Rose Bowl in a normal year. This year, Stanford would most likely end up in the Fiesta Bowl.

The Fiesta, Sugar, and Peach bowls must also take the highest-ranked team from a non-contract conference.

Conference Shifting

Re-alignment happened again and hosed poo poo all up. The SEC, Big XII, Pac-12, and Mountain West are all the same as last year.

ACC

GONE: Maryland. The Terps decided to bolt for the Big Ten.

HERE: The ACC brings in Louisville as a full-time member. Notre Dame will also play a rotating schedule of ACC opponents.

Big Ten

GONE: Legends and Leaders. Now there's just "East" and "West" with Indiana as the dividing line. Hoosiers are in the East division, Purdue in the West.

HERE: Maryland joins the Big Ten and so does....Rutgers. Yes, Rutgers.

Now, to the fun part.

American Athletic Conference

GONE: Rutgers and Louisville.

HERE: East Carolina, Tulane, and Tulsa.

C-USA

GONE: Tulane, Tulsa, ECU

HERE: Western Kentucky, and ODU emerges as a full-fledged member after a transition year

Sun Belt

GONE: Western Kentucky

HERE: Idaho, New Mexico State, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern (provisional)

I think this covers what you need to know. Football is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Baylor Football. Bryce Petty. Antwan Goodley. KD Cannon. Shawn Oakman. New Stadium. 13 Days. I am beyond ready.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

N: Michigan is going to start a true freshman, Mason Cole, on the offensive line.

V: I don't even care any more. They were so bad last year I'm game for anything. I don't expect Michigan to end a season ranked before 2020 anyways.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005
:siren:Football's almost here!:siren:

10 more days until ASU kicks off the season against Weber State :derp:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
gently caress a Bison.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
This year the oldest stadium in the FBS, Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field, will serve as the home stadium of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets for the 101st consecutive year. We will celebrate this by going 4-8 and getting Paul Johnson fired.

Yes to the Playoffs. Yes to Football.

(So in)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
My body is ready for Rice to get throttled on national television by Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Slate Action posted:

This year the oldest stadium in the FBS, Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field, will serve as the home stadium of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets for the 101st consecutive year. We will celebrate this by going 4-8 and getting Paul Johnson fired.

(So in)

Hopefully one of those losses will be to Tulane. I think the funniest improbable thing that could happen in Tulane's schedule would be to beat Ga Tech, Duke, Rutgers and lose to SE Louisiana.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I am prepared for Kansas's one win this year against SE Missouri State, which I refuse to believe is an actual college. I am also ready for the upset of the decade when West Virginia beats the poo poo out of the Crimson Tide opening week. Go Mountaineers.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Slate Action posted:

(So in)

Georgia Southern's beating Paul Johnson. You know this to be true.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa will be ugly and boring and frustrating and I will not be able to stop myself from wasting perfectly good Saturdays where I could be hiking or at the beach or doing literally anything else living and dying with every snap because I am a dumb child with a nonsensical committment to something that was forced on me as an infant due to factors completely outside my control.

Welcome back, football.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 18, 2014

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Spacebump posted:

Hopefully one of those losses will be to Tulane.

Anything can happen in a traditional SEC matchup.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I am also ready for the upset of the decade when West Virginia beats the poo poo out of the Crimson Tide opening week. Go Mountaineers.

Hell yes. Roll drat Moonshine.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Thoguh posted:

gently caress a Bison.

I saw a bunch of Bison in Yellowstone not too long ago and they are pretty cool IMO. Go NDSU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

gently caress yeah football.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Reminder that there's college football this weekend.

(I don't remember who originally posted the link, otherwise I'd give credit.)

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hey guys, UF is going to throw the ball this year so be prepared for either a) the China Syndrome of dumpster fires or b) an improbably national title run with me leaving a trail of booze vomit and celebratory broken beer bottles.

I wish GT was good at football. Dodd is pretty awesome.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
One of my favorite dumb GDT memories was a NDSU/Minnesota game that literally only Gendo and I were posting about/laughing at so I am strongly Team Bison, even ignoring that Iowa State losing to a I-AA team is really funny.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Anything can happen in a traditional SEC matchup.

Both those schools still have won the SEC more times than Kentucky, Mississippi State, Arkansas, Missouri, South Carolina, Texas A&M, and Vanderbilt.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

buddhanc posted:

I saw a bunch of Bison in Yellowstone not too long ago and they are pretty cool IMO. Go NDSU

Nah, Thoguh's right, gently caress a Bison

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A&M/SC should be an exciting game and I can't wait to go into work Friday hung over. Footbaaaaaaaaaw is back

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

Red field yeaaaaah

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SaltLick posted:

A&M/SC should be an exciting game and I can't wait to go into work Friday hung over. Footbaaaaaaaaaw is back

I am going to get regrettably well-hammered during that game. Might take my pants off.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Why would your pants be on?

RIP JFF long live Coach Swag!

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Dango Bango posted:

The glory of college football and the tragedy of summer is that I am excited about this game because it exists.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

One of my favorite dumb GDT memories was a NDSU/Minnesota game that literally only Gendo and I were posting about/laughing at so I am strongly Team Bison, even ignoring that Iowa State losing to a I-AA team is really funny.

http://youtu.be/-XkRxHs4iis

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 18, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Oh gently caress you're right, I'll definitely watch that.

Football!!

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
LSU is going to beat us by 30

Joel Stave is going to get broken in 50 pieces holding on to the ball forever like a nimrod

Those are my two predictions for week 1

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If we're doing that: If Baylor's where I hope they are on both sides of the ball, we top 60 points and hold SMU to under 20. Extra Point: KD Cannon scores a TD on a pass thrown by Bryce Petty.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Mixon's out for the entire year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Go gamecocks for week 1 and whenever they play UGA!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Duke lost their starting TE for the season. They weren't supposed to be world-beaters but these big losses are not helping their Coastal division repeat chances.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Mixon's out for the entire year.

God loving damnit

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

How does OU feel about their skill positions on offense, anyway? I'd gotten the impression that it's Knight at QB, Shepard at WR (No DGB until we hear otherwise), and maybe Bell at TE and a bunch of questions/assumptions otherwise - is that about right, or do I need to pay more attention? That's part of why I've been pretty bullish on them, and obviously Mixon going away doesn't help their case any.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
Kentucky named a starting QB, earning themselves the distinction of not being the last team in the SEC without a starting QB named with less than two weeks to go until kickoff.

Patrick Towles, a redshirt sophomore, got the nod. He's a tall dude, throws the ball, runs around a little bit. You know, quarterback-like.

Other notables on the team include a dude that can (probably) catch the ball, a dude that can run with the ball and some dudes that ostensibly know how to tackle the other team's dudes running the ball.

Kentucky is my sleeper pick to win the SEC East based on the strength of their dudes doin' football stuff.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
eat poo poo washington, and then rutgers, oregon, asu, stanford, arizona, oregon state, usc, utah, cal, nevada, and portland state, in that order. god Bless.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

I am prepared for Kansas's one win this year against SE Missouri State, which I refuse to believe is an actual college. I am also ready for the upset of the decade when West Virginia beats the poo poo out of the Crimson Tide opening week. Go Mountaineers.

Callin WVU too

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

gently caress a Gator, gently caress a Tiger, gently caress a Jacket, gently caress a Gamecock. Go Dawgs.

E: and gently caress Notre Dame forever and always, amen.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Quandary posted:

God loving damnit

Oklahoma has more than enough people on that team that assault women, I think you guys will be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV is probably gonna get five or six wins and miss the goal of back to back bowl games

But gently caress it I'm all for the ride!

• Locked thread