Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Shares will show up in my account overnight.

Yeah that much I know, but I don't know how it looks to me if I'm watching the orders for whatever option you traded. I've never executed any options. I've had them assigned, but that happened at expiry so trades don't show up then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Storgar posted:

I just want to understand this.

1. When you say "this price" you mean the current price of the common stock? So if I opened a position of 500 shares of some stock at 7 bucks and it dropped to 5 dollars, I would ask myself "would I buy 500 shares of this stock at 5 dollars"? If I believe the stock will go up eventually, the answer seems to always be hold? So are you saying that I should compare the current price to how valuable I think the stock actually is before deciding to sell/hold?

2. If we apply that sentence to this week, a lot of stocks dipped yesterday. If I cut my losses, I don't think I would have done as well as if I held my positions until a rebound that I'm assuming will happen next week. Do I need to take into account the fact that I have faith the stocks will go up soon and this dip is only temporary?

I feel like these are really stupid questions. I haven't had time to absorb too much literature at this point...

1. This is such a broad way of looking at it that it is hard to answer. Holding/Buying depends on a lot of things - how often are you trading, what is your goal for this investment, what does your strategy tell you to do, what does your analysis say, etc. Take the sentiment from what the poster you are replying to said, not the literal words - if you bought a security for price point X thinking it'd go, in say a years time to X+20 or something, but after 6 months you are at X-20, you can't think to yourself "would I buy this stock at X-20" because of course you would if you were still using an analysis that said it'd go to X+20. These time frames and price variables are all garbage btw, but it's the point of it that matters. If you are day trading with any appreciable numbers these decisions will have to be made much quicker obviously.

2. This is essentially the same thing...and unfortunately is much harder to predict especially in volatile times. Unfortunately there is no magic answer and the best people in the world gently caress up when something that they didn't predict happens (especially in a big way), but are you able to adapt to that? Are you hedged at all on your positions? You should be able to weather "bad" things happening relatively well if you are properly diversified and capable mentally of reapplying your analyses and saying "enough is enough". There's no poimt taking a bigger loss on a security that drops precipitously because you refused to reanalyze and say "I hosed up this one" or "My analysis is faulty" or even "things just didn't work out".

There was a scene on that british show million dollar traders where there was an IT guy trading, and he had a large position on some stock or other losing money at a pretty decent rate, and the guy that was managing him asked what he was going to do. When he said "wait an hour and see where I am" the manager lost his poo poo because "if you're going to sell in an hour, sell it now". I think the principle is just like that.. it's best to be actively evaluating what you are doing if you're "trading" over "investing". The latter is a bit of a different beast because, again, the timeframe variable but it's still there.. there is just no value staying in something that is losing money because of a glimmer of hope that it might make a comeback.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Seems like a comical overreaction to KING's earnings in after hours. Picked up 600 shares @ 14.25. Good luck to me.

A share price of $14 values the company at $4.5b if I'm doing my math right: they have $800m in cash, very low expenses, and are generating $150m per quarter in free cash flow. Will probably buy options again in KING if this opens tomorrow around 14.

Of course the rejoinder to KING is ZNGA. The two companies aren't really anything alike: Zynga has 3x as many employees with 1/3rd of the revenue, games that annoy the poo poo out of people, and low mobile presence.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

DEMAG posted:

You rich $MNKD sons of bitches! :homebrew:

... and it's gone! I got slaughtered on KNDI. Still holding though.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

lol internet. posted:

... and it's gone!
It's been a recurring pattern in MNKD every time positive news comes out. The stock skyrockets after hours and then sells off premarket and gets demolished when markets open.

I'm not optimistic about last week being the bottom in the markets. The last few pullbacks have been bought with major conviction to squeeze anyone being overly short and after Friday, we've had two days where momentum stalled at a 50% retracement from the July high to last Thursday's low. It could be people hesitant to buy the dip this time, setting up a bull trap, August being vacation month for the market, or still too many international tensions like Putin's adventures that could turn a headline into a selloff catalyst.

:lol: and we get a short squeeze breakout the day after I gave that outlook.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 13, 2014

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I am pretty sure if I ONLY traded AMZN I would be just fine. I got some calls yesterday, and bam... credit card reader story. I love AMZN. :D

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

lol internet. posted:

... and it's gone! I got slaughtered on KNDI. Still holding though.

Yeah, that was surprising. Started dropping right after the bell. Profit takers maybe?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

ayekappy posted:

I am pretty sure if I ONLY traded AMZN I would be just fine. I got some calls yesterday, and bam... credit card reader story. I love AMZN. :D

:cheers: I hope your good fortune continues. I don't trade options and I'm cashed out once again. What % gains do you see where the stock itself only shifts ~3%?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

LLCoolJD posted:

:cheers: I hope your good fortune continues. I don't trade options and I'm cashed out once again. What % gains do you see where the stock itself only shifts ~3%?

This one I had bought the 330's at .30 and sold at 3.00, so 1000% :)

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Sea World is performing like a beached whale today.

Edit: made a few $ on the dip. Thanks, Sea World.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 14, 2014

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Can't wait to see where these open today, I only feel a little bit bad for the bagholders buying at 26 while all the big money was scrambling for the exits

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Leviathan posted:

Can't wait to see where these open today, I only feel a little bit bad for the bagholders buying at 26 while all the big money was scrambling for the exits

Noice

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Manager+Convicted+of+Insider+Trading+Hopes+Prison+Will+Remove+Greed+from+His+Heart/article36375.htm

This guy earned time in a federal prison for the most boring of reasons. Not hookers. Not blow. Private school tuition.

(Don't read the comments if you value your brain cells.)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Manager+Convicted+of+Insider+Trading+Hopes+Prison+Will+Remove+Greed+from+His+Heart/article36375.htm

This guy earned time in a federal prison for the most boring of reasons. Not hookers. Not blow. Private school tuition.

Honestly, I'm always impressed by the ability of the SEC to catch folks like this. I'd imagine there's a lot to sift through to find people breaking rules.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LLCoolJD posted:

Pretty hilarious that they had an intricate plan and then he confesses to it immediately. Unless they already had Stokke dead to rights or something, I don't see how they could make the connection between him and the day trader if they used burners and cash. There must have been some other form of communication that they used and that the FBI was monitoring.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Arkane posted:

Pretty hilarious that they had an intricate plan and then he confesses to it immediately. Unless they already had Stokke dead to rights or something, I don't see how they could make the connection between him and the day trader if they used burners and cash. There must have been some other form of communication that they used and that the FBI was monitoring.

The dude's probably also never done anything illegal in his life so the prospect of getting in trouble outweighed sensibility, I guess.

Well the most sensible thing to do would be not to insider trade in the first place, but you know.

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010
So who wants a sweet option bet. :retrogames:

BAC oct 16 call at .25c or how about the feb 2015 18 call at .23c

http://www.finviz.com/quote.ashx?t=BAC&ty=c&ta=1&p=d

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

LLCoolJD posted:

Is there something behind the whining about how members of congress are allowed to insider trade, or is that just complete bullshit?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I have the largest long position on EBIX currently, and I feel like I should be more worried than I am that I'm so exposed to a single stock, but I just don't see how it's not valued at 50% more than what it's currently trading at. Other than a ridiculous short %. But they just got $200M in financing, which is 40% of their market cap. And they're using over half on buy backs. So let's get this short squeeze started.

I NEVER buy call options, but I picked up December $15 calls because I cannot stomach any more capital in one source.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

DancingMachine posted:

Is there something behind the whining about how members of congress are allowed to insider trade, or is that just complete bullshit?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2013/04/16/177496734/how-congress-quietly-overhauled-its-insider-trading-law

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

What a fun day, caught an /ES short on the way down and rode it to cover about 1pt from the bottom. Also bulls are crazy with how far they bought back the markets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh, you mean like the already announced Sept 9 iPhone event? :downs: :fuckoff:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So Apple's closed above 100 the past two days. This is equivalent to the pre-split days when it hit 700 but I'm hearing a lot fewer people call it crazy overvalued these days. Maybe they're just subsumed into the much bearish overall sentiment though. I'm still actually kinda bullish; they're barely above a 16 PE and the watch will probably sell gangbusters whenever they get around to releasing it. I'm definitely going to tighten my stops though.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2014

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010
I should have held all my jan 2015 100 QQQ calls, I only have 5 left :stonklol:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

So Apple's closed above 100 the past two days. This is equivalent to the pre-split days when it hit 700 but I'm hearing a lot fewer people call it crazy overvalued these days. Maybe they're just subsumed into the much bearish overall sentiment though. I'm still actually kinda bullish; they're barely above a 16 PE and the watch will probably sell gangbusters whenever they get around to releasing it. I'm definitely going to tighten my stops though.
It's because 700 is scarier than 100 to retail investors and allows talking heads to go crazy.

Really.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

It's because 700 is scarier than 100 to retail investors and allows talking heads to go crazy.

Really.

I tried explaining that 7 shares at $100 is the same drat thing as 1 share at $100 dollars to a guy at work the other day, and he just would not accept that they are the same. To him, 7x100 is cheaper than 1x700 and he just would not be convinced otherwise. Some people are beyond help.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you only have $100, you can buy a $100 stock but not a $700 stock. That's the extreme case, but it can matter if you have a very small amount of money to invest, because you can buy more whole shares with less remainder.

Not that you should, because if you can only put like $1000 into your stock buying account you are going to be eaten alive by trading fees anyway.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The only legitimate thing I can think of that a lower stock price helps with is selling covered calls. It's really hard to fucks with a $700 stock in that way.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
What about when the stock changes? If you have 7 shares of $100 stock, you see a bigger change than if you had a 1 share of $700 stock?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Storgar posted:

What about when the stock changes? If you have 7 shares of $100 stock, you see a bigger change than if you had a 1 share of $700 stock?

No. If the stock appreciates 5%, you gain 5% on $700 either way. If it drops 10% you lose 10% on $700 either way.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I like options on bigger ones because I can generally get an option needing a 4% move on $300-$600 for about $40-$50 which is pretty good for me.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

My accounting professor explained that back in the day when everyone had to use brokers, trading the round lot(100 shares) was always used and brokerages would charge more commissions when a price of a stock went into high prices, due to it being harder to trade which is why companies would split every time they approached triple digits. Then came two things: electronic exchanges and Google. Google created the sentiment towards the triple-digit stock price as a sort of a status symbol and the electronic exchanges made combining buy/sell orders extremely fast so multiple orders of stocks could be traded effortlessly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Acquilae posted:

My accounting professor explained that back in the day when everyone had to use brokers, trading the round lot(100 shares) was always used and brokerages would charge more commissions when a price of a stock went into high prices, due to it being harder to trade which is why companies would split every time they approached triple digits. Then came two things: electronic exchanges and Google. Google created the sentiment towards the triple-digit stock price as a sort of a status symbol and the electronic exchanges made combining buy/sell orders extremely fast so multiple orders of stocks could be traded effortlessly.
Google IPOed in 2004 which is hardly back in the day, and ECNs predate that by decades.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Shear Modulus posted:

With every dollar that Apple's share price increases, the market expectations for growth increases. When your valuation gets to extremely high levels (i.e. $600 billion), the growth needed to meet those expectations becomes much higher. The cash flows needed to meet 10% growth on a $100 billion company is a lot less than the cash flows required for a $600 billion. At some point you reach a threshold where an individual company cannot continue to grow sales due to the limitations of their sector (or the economy).

In other words, the bigger the valuation, the higher the bar and (in my opinion) the more downside potential. Anyone who has played Apple earnings before knows what this means.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The question is how to position yourself ahead of the Sep 9 event. If there's no iWatch or only a 4.7" phone and no 5.5" version, will the sell programs kick in?

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Google IPOed in 2004 which is hardly back in the day, and ECNs predate that by decades.
I know but stocks were still splitting on a regular basis of every few years. Ever since 2003 the stock splits of corporations, especially the large/mega caps, have dropped drastically.

Josh Lyman posted:

The question is how to position yourself ahead of the Sep 9 event. If there's no iWatch or only a 4.7" phone and no 5.5" version, will the sell programs kick in?
Macrumors has reports that iWatch and 5.5" iPhone 6 could be delayed to 2015. If that's the case and the analysts don't see it debut, the stock could mirror last year and have a "disappointment" pullback for a few days after the announcement ends.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ayekappy posted:

I like options on bigger ones because I can generally get an option needing a 4% move on $300-$600 for about $40-$50 which is pretty good for me.

You're buying calls though. I'm writing covered calls, so I need to have 100x the stock price in capital, and I don't have $70,000 for 100 shares of a $700 stock!

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

District Selectman posted:

You're buying calls though. I'm writing covered calls, so I need to have 100x the stock price in capital, and I don't have $70,000 for 100 shares of a $700 stock!

Oh yeah I can definitely see that for writing... and they'd be downright terrifying for outright selling with that infinite liability and how much $ moves each %. Eek.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

District Selectman posted:

This was basically the entire motivation for starting to offer Mini options.

Which are still available on AAPL; so now you can sell covered calls with about $1000 of capital tied up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Is Interactive Brokers any good?