Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.
This thread needs more love for Heavy Metal!

Also, DS9 seasons 4-7 is great, even (especially) if you hate Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

community ham boil posted:

Maybe you would like Doomsday Book. The first segment is not so great but the other two are just fine. The one with the Buddha robot is pretty to look at and the one with the end of the world is funny.

Also the Prestige was a good movie so maybe you would enjoy it too. I think it counts as a bit scifi but not in an aliens and robots way.

The Prestige was good. Added in list. Might check Doomsday Book.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

No. 6 posted:

By falling into too many horror tropes that scenes became predictable.

You are an insufficient amount of fun.

Stormfang1502 posted:

Also, DS9 seasons 4-7 is great, even (especially) if you hate Star Trek.

Are we doing tv too?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I wasn't really doing TV because I prefer movies.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Stalker and Solaris are pretty good but loving weird as all hell

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

wall-e

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I've heard good things about Stalker multiple times. Gonna give it a shot.

community ham boil
Nov 6, 2012

the universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely indifferent.
Hmm also District 9 and Gravity. these movies are at least as good as time travelers wife but are probably in fact better.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stormfang1502 posted:

Heavy Metal sucks and is only remembered fondly because it was adolescent fantasy you could see animated boobs and sex in back when all of those things were pretty rare in video media, and unlike say "Fritz the Cat" you didn't need to be a furry to enjoy it and afterwards you could sit in your own spunk and watch ok animation of :krad: fantasy settings set to :krad: metal music.

Fallows posted:

How is event horizon flawed?

No. 6 posted:

By falling into too many horror tropes that scenes became predictable.

P. Much. It doesn't do anything super-wrong but I just watched it last night and was disappointed at how little it manages to elevate its awesome premise. Aside from the scene where Fishburne discovers the video of the prior crew in Hell and immediately goes "we're leaving and we're shooting missiles at the Event Horizon after we do. gently caress THIS SHIP!" it felt like it was wearing an exosuit of cliches it never quite escaped from-- which is a shame because in terms of set-up it manages to have a fairly diverse crew, interesting well-drawn characters, and both a minority and a woman survive which is super loving rare in horror.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It was the far future and they were advanced humanoid robots. :colbert:

I know, that's just what critics say about the movie and proof that they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about.

quote:

I found MIB3 to be surprisingly good and we shall never speak of MIB2.

MIB3 is entertaining but good it is not.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 20, 2014

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Has anyone said anything by William Gibson yet? Because, yeah.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

community ham boil posted:

Hmm also District 9 and Gravity. these movies are at least as good as time travelers wife but are probably in fact better.

District 9 and Gravity would qualify as upper Fun but Flawed / lower Good

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You might as well add Guardians of the Galaxy to the Good List because it's pretty good

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bolow posted:

You might as well add Guardians of the Galaxy to the Good List because it's pretty good

Oh no what have you done

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mind the walrus posted:

MIB3 is entertaining but good it is not.

I was really moved by the stuff with J's dad & cried like a baby at the end when Tommy Lee Jones was all stoic about the sad knowledge.

e: now that I think about it I grade any sci-fi that makes me cry a little higher than normal due to the cathartic release.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

District 9 definitely goes on the list. Gravity stays off for loving up basic physics too much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I was really moved by the stuff with J's dad & cried like a baby at the end when Tommy Lee Jones was all stoic about the sad knowledge.

Yes but it completely rewrites the entire history of the much better first movie in a lovely "WE ARE ALL CONNECTED" continuity storm that makes everything feel insular and septic.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Prettz posted:

Has anyone said anything by William Gibson yet? Because, yeah.

look @ this cretin

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mind the walrus posted:

Yes but it completely rewrites the entire history of the much better first movie in a lovely "WE ARE ALL CONNECTED" continuity storm that makes everything feel insular and septic.

This is a fair point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No Day the Earth Stood Still?

Clearly OP is just a typical idiot movie watcher.

No Metropolis?

Sigh.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Does Mad Max even qualify as Sci-fi because the first 2 are good and Beyond Thunderdome is loving retarded as poo poo but still awesome.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Waltzing Along posted:

i said it

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Waltzing Along posted:

No Metropolis?

Sigh.

poo poo poo poo poo poo WE ARE MORONS HOW DID WE FORGET THESE?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Waltzing Along posted:

No Metropolis?

Sigh.

Seriously mods just need to change the thread title to "please fix my poo poo taste in media of all forms"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

No. 6 posted:

District 9 definitely goes on the list. Gravity stays off for loving up basic physics too much.

which movies on your list, do you believe, stick to the laws of physics

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

No Metropolis?

Sigh.

Both were good for the time but I don't think I can re-watch either. Also, I assume you mean the classic Metropolis, not the anime film.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo WE ARE MORONS HOW DID WE FORGET THESE?

This is also a very fair point.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

imo mad max is sci fi enough

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
Did anyone say Sunshine yet? It's good not great, but defs worth watching.

bigzak
Aug 15, 2003
wow gently caress you

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

No. 6 posted:

Both were good for the time but I don't think I can re-watch either. Also, I assume you mean the classic Metropolis, not the anime film.

your an anime film

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008

THS posted:

the china syndrome duh

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Upstream color is good poo poo. Better than primer imo

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

No. 6 posted:

Gravity stays off for loving up basic physics too much.

I think you're missing the fundamental element of "fi" in sci-fi. It's a movie not a documentary not sure you knew this

but Gravity is a poo poo film in general apart from the "LOL SPECIAL EFFECTS!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bolow posted:

Does Mad Max even qualify as Sci-fi because the first 2 are good and Beyond Thunderdome is loving retarded as poo poo but still awesome.

Considering how Star Wars is classified as sci-fi just because it has lasers and spaceships, yeah Mad Max qualifies.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Upstream color is good poo poo. Better than primer imo

agreed though Shane Carruth is probably the next Kubrick

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

THS posted:

2001 came pretty drat close.

I do get your point, but it seemed that proper physics were pretty integral to the story, which they kept loving up. This kept me from enjoying the film more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Children of Men is ranked below Galaxy Quest?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Billmac posted:

Did anyone say Sunshine yet? It's good not great, but defs worth watching.

Sunshine was nearly loving perfect except they had to gently caress it all away with that dumb dumb dumb plot twist

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

No. 6 posted:

2001 came pretty drat close.

I do get your point, but it seemed that proper physics were pretty integral to the story, which they kept loving up. This kept me from enjoying the film more.

2/3rds of the film were literally a person getting flung about by space debris with no plot development whatsoever, I don't think even 100% perfectly accurate physics would save that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gravity isn't sci fi. Just because it takes place in space doesn't make it sci fi.

It's a disaster film. If Gravity is sci fi, then so is The Towering Inferno.

• Locked thread