Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I just got my Falcon today and it's way bigger than I thought it'd be. Holy poo poo this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

signalnoise posted:

I just got my Falcon today and it's way bigger than I thought it'd be. Holy poo poo this game

Hook, line, and sinker. I hope you didn't have any special plans for your money. :D

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tippis posted:

Hook, line, and sinker. I hope you didn't have any special plans for your money. :D

This was my special plans for my money. I seriously worked overtime so I could buy a bunch of Rebel stuff (now also S&V stuff), card sleeves, and a custom-printed 3'x3' mousepad.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
My Rebel Transport arrived today, so I've officially got em all... and my new quest is to entirely fill my battlefoam. Let's hope Scum *really* loves the HWK-290, and there's eventually a reason to own like 4 TIE Advanced!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

overdesigned posted:

The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

That's pretty cool of him. Sounds like he bought them at retail and brought them back for his loyal customers or did he get his typical wholesale prices ?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, he bought 'em at retail and sold 'em at $10 over retail, mostly to help cover going up there, extra luggage fees home, etc. The fourth set is going to be given away as prize support for the next couple months' tournaments. He also got a half-dozen TIE Interceptors at retail, and is selling them at retail, just so there's some on the shelf.

(It's The Game Space in Pensacola, FL if anyone's in that area and is curious. Spreading the word is the least I can do.)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Seriously though, looking at the Millennium Falcon with how big it is has me reconsidering not buying the transport and the Tantive

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Seriously though, looking at the Millennium Falcon with how big it is has me reconsidering not buying the transport and the Tantive

The transport is manageably big. Like, it's impressive in its table presence and solidarity. The Tantive is just ridiculously huge. It's stupidly cool and I don't regret buying it, but I'll never be able to use it on my kitchen table games. Maybe I'll drag it to the FLGS game night sometime though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Miniature Market now has the Scum expansion up. Retail prices,

Prices

Most Wanted: 39.95 Retail / 27.57 Minimarket
IG-2000: 29.95 / 19.99
M3-A Interceptor: 14.95 / 9.99
StarViper: 19.95 / 13.77

I wonder which ones I'll need dupes of. I know there are unique pilots, are there unique ships in this game? Like, are there some that you can only have one of even though you have multiple pilots?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

I know there are unique pilots, are there unique ships in this game? Like, are there some that you can only have one of even though you have multiple pilots?

Not yet. Maybe one of the huge ships, which I don't have, but definitely none of the normal ones. There are, of course, practical limits to how many of a ship you can have in a 100 point list but there's nothing rules-wise.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

signalnoise posted:

I wonder which ones I'll need dupes of.

Well the IG-2000 is the one with a gimmick revolving around running dupes, you won't be able to use the title card in the expansion until you have at least 2.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Right now the only ship that, per rules, you can only field one of is the Tantive IV/CR-90 Corvette, since Epic Tournament rules allow for five "epic points" per side, and the CR-90 is worth 3 of them.

Buuuut nobody really plays epic tournament so yeah.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

overdesigned posted:

(It's The Game Space in Pensacola, FL if anyone's in that area and is curious. Spreading the word is the least I can do.)

Well neat. I didn't realize there were any X-Wing goons that close. I play over in Mobile. I think we're going to have a tournament this weekend. Should be fun.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

overdesigned posted:

The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

Nice!

How do the rules for the new obstacle tokens work? In competitive play are you allowed to substitute them in 1:1, or do opponents have to agree to use them?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Caddrel posted:

Nice!

How do the rules for the new obstacle tokens work? In competitive play are you allowed to substitute them in 1:1, or do opponents have to agree to use them?

The rules in the expansions are very vague on their use in competitive play. By which I mean they don't address the issue at all. I guess they'll have to issue updated tournament rules or a new FAQ. The core rules say players "can agree to use obstacles" which I take to mean either asteroids or debris, while the tournament rules say that "the six unique asteroid tokens" shall be used.

On the cool side, the debris tokens in the Decimator pack are all destroyed rebel ships, and the ones in the YT-2400 are all destroyed imperial ships.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I have never played in a tourney and only ever really played fun games with friends but I am seriously considering entering one on Saturday. Will I survive any length of time by taking my usual lists of "This looks cool I want to take it because I liked this ship in the movies" I usually play Rebels and I have;

Core set
X wing expansion
A wing Expansion
B wing Expansion
E Wing Expansion
Millenium falcon Expansion
The huge transport

What do I need to do to play fun but still not get trampled?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You might want to grab Rebel Aces if you can find it, but otherwise that's a totally viable base. You have what you need to run a bunch of different lists, and you have a Falcon.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I have never played in a tourney and only ever really played fun games with friends but I am seriously considering entering one on Saturday. Will I survive any length of time by taking my usual lists of "This looks cool I want to take it because I liked this ship in the movies" I usually play Rebels and I have;

Core set
X wing expansion
A wing Expansion
B wing Expansion
E Wing Expansion
The huge transport

You can make really good lists with what you have already so you don't really need anything, but if you want to run "top tier" tournament lists you could get either a B-Wing for BBXX or another Falcon to run double falcons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Core set
X wing expansion
A wing Expansion
B wing Expansion
E Wing Expansion
The huge transport

Assuming the huge transport is the Tantive 4, you can run a tricked out falcon with a tricked out corran horn or wedge. If you had a Z95 you could run fat Han (C3PO, falcon, veteran instincts, Luke, engine upgrade), Biggs, and Talon squad pilot. The problem is filling out points with rebels and the Z95 fills that role.

If it's the rebel transport, you can run Tarn Mison with the astromech that lets you spend target locks to force rerolls. Tarn + Biggs + Wedge + filler A-wing might do alright. Or independent fighters like Tarn + wedge + ibtisam/ten numb or Wes Janson and try to shoot the opponent first.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 21, 2014

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

It's not the tantive it's the rebel transport. I mainly mentioned it because it comes with a few more Xwing pilots. What would be the best pilot for my B wing? I usally just use the blue squad pilot.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's not the tantive it's the rebel transport. I mainly mentioned it because it comes with a few more Xwing pilots. What would be the best pilot for my B wing? I usally just use the blue squad pilot.

Dagger + Advanced Sensors is pretty ownage

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Ok what about

Wedge with R2D2,Marksmenship, and flechette torps(maybe, this was just to bring me from 98 to 100 so I could get rid of it)

Arvel Crynyd with Cluster missiles

Dagger Sqd, Advanced sensors, Autoblaster, stealth device.

I picked my two favorite ships the A and B then threw in an Xwing. I am not sure if it is wiser to go with higher point ships and do upgrades like this or to try to do more unnamed pilots.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If you want to fly A-Wing and B-Wing (without Rebel Aces):

Arvel Crynyd

Biggs Darklighter

Dagger Squadron Pilot
Advanced Sensors

Tarn Mison
R7 Astromech

Have Biggs fly cover for the B-Wing, which does your work. Tarn can hold his own 1v1 while Arvel rams...something.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The stealth device is not that great on lower-agility ships, because it's more likely to get shot off in the first turn that ship's attacked. You're probably better off going with a Hull Upgrade. (1 extra defense die is only 3/8ths of an evade per roll, but Hull Upgrade guarantees one extra HP). Or you could put it on the A-Wing.

The "more lower-skill pilots" vs "fewer higher-skill pilots" is something that the whole game is kinda transitioning through right now. FFG's made a fairly big effort towards pushing the game in the latter direction, but swarms are still really viable.

In any event, play what's fun to you; that list is totally workable.

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope
I'll echo what others have said, in that Stealth isn't really that good on 1 AGI ships.
Also, removing a lot of the upgrades from the B-wing and keeping it to Dagger+AdvSen is probably the better option.
Personally, I have found that instead of running Arvel, a single Green with PTL is far more fun as you get the 2 actions to zip around, and have an action for TL to shoot your missile, and an action to focus to modify that missile.

In other words
A-Wing: Green+PTL+Missile
B-Wing: Dagger+AdvSen

That would leave you with 47 points. Plenty for 2 X-wings, or perhaps a Chewbacca Falcon with 5 points to spend.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Thanks for the responses guys. I Can't do the hull upgrade because I think that comes in the imperial aces pack which I dont have. I don't have access to Rebel aces but I wouldnt be able to use them in accordance with the tournament rules right now anyway because they are still not actually released that I know of. If I get rid of the torpedoes on Wedge I can fit a shield upgrade on the B

I like alg's Tarn and biggs list but the main reason I like Arvel is the ramming ability mixed with the cluster missiles and that just does not fit so I definitley have some thinking to do.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

KO Derf posted:

I'll echo what others have said, in that Stealth isn't really that good on 1 AGI ships.
Also, removing a lot of the upgrades from the B-wing and keeping it to Dagger+AdvSen is probably the better option.
Personally, I have found that instead of running Arvel, a single Green with PTL is far more fun as you get the 2 actions to zip around, and have an action for TL to shoot your missile, and an action to focus to modify that missile.

In other words
A-Wing: Green+PTL+Missile
B-Wing: Dagger+AdvSen

That would leave you with 47 points. Plenty for 2 X-wings, or perhaps a Chewbacca Falcon with 5 points to spend.

With this list, putting a Gunner on Chewie would give you a pretty solid line up.

I've always been a much bigger fan of FCS on B-Wings though. Having a target lock and focus every turn puts out a lot of damage, but you have to be a little bit more careful about running into asteroids.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

Green + PTL + Clusters
Dagger + FCS
Chewie + Gunner + Falcon

This seems fun as well. I have some playtesting to do with my friend who is entering the tournament too. so far it is between the above list and this one.

Arvel
Biggs
Dagger + AdvSen
Tarn + R7

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Arvel is bad. Use a Green Sq. with PTL and you'll be able to take advantage of bad positioning much more often than flying into the middle of a group and trying to bump them after they've moved, which doesn't work on a lot of high skill pilots, and is drat near loving impossible to do with Phantoms.

My personal recommendation is to drop the Dagger down to a Blue (4 pilot skill is not high enough to give you a relative advantage over anyone in today's meta), swap to FCS, and then make Arvel into a Green Squadron Pilot with PTL and a missile of your choice. Both Cluster and Concussion work well, or you could go Ion Pulse with Munitions Failsafe to tell a Falcon to gently caress off for a turn.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Dagger is there because Predator is so popular right now. At least it is in my meta.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

Dagger is there because Predator is so popular right now. At least it is in my meta.

Predator is half of a target lock for free. You're getting a full target lock for free with Blue + FCS. Relative advantage.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I dont have a munitions failsafe, but I did think it might be wise to throw at least an ion cannon in the mix so I put one on my B wing which I changed to a Blue squad and dropped the Falcon title to make the points fit. I know nothing about the meta game in my area since I only ever play at my house with 2 or three friends. Part of me is glad I don't know the meta so I can focus on making a list with the ships I like. I feel like I am worrying too much since I mainly just want to play and have fun, but I also dont want to get destroyed ridiculously fast either.

I'll playtest the falcon list and some others from this thread and see which one I can make work. I think we're going to do some practice games tonight and tomorrow.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

Predator is half of a target lock for free. You're getting a full target lock for free with Blue + FCS. Relative advantage.

Not everything is that easy to just break down. Rerolling 2 dice plus a focus is almost 3-4 hits every time. The FCS TL only matters if you can shoot the same guy two turns in a row, which doesn't happen that often in my experience.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ya predator is better because of attaching focus. I don't think his comment was about that. Predator only has a bonus against PS2, meaning the dagger isn't affected.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can attach focus to an FCS too because it's after the first attack, not an action itself. If you can maintain arc on your target, FCS is strictly better than Predator. Granted, in a B-Wing that isn't always the case, but intelligent flying can put it to some drat good use.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

So turns out my mistake when ordering from MiniatureMarket, ordering preorder items with non-preorder items, was a blessing in disguise. It gave me enough time to cancel my order to buy Scum stuff instead. What to buy what to buy what to buy, now that all of my money can go towards whatever the gently caress I want? I already will own 2 X-wings (starter), 2 Z-95's, and a Falcon. Should I bother buying any other rebel stuff?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

It would be worth investing in a Firespray given how good the new Boba Fett looks. HWK is up to you.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

alg posted:

It would be worth investing in a Firespray given how good the new Boba Fett looks. HWK is up to you.

The interview with the lead designers convinced me to pick up a second HWK in preparation of Scum's release. ... That might've been their intention, though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why do you not already own a Firespray? It's awesome, everyone should own one.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why do you not already own a Firespray? It's aesome, everyone should own one.

I was planning on doing Rebel and buddy was planning on Empire

I'll probably get both because the Decimator looks cool as heck

• Locked thread