Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

13 you are a rare rare breed. Don't ever change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Please please let this time be the time

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Please please please go efi with more boostu but leave the rest with its 80s "charm."

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

mafoose posted:

Please please please go efi with more boostu but leave the rest with its 80s "charm."

No. I want to enjoy the delicious suffering of a stock resurrection, turbo spiders and all.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So how much did you pay?

I havent actually spoken to the man yet but I instantly recognised the sign in the pictures without even needing the street view to confirm so I went over to stare at it for a while.

I know how trite this sounds but it's a lot smaller than I expected.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

General_Failure posted:

No. I want to enjoy the delicious suffering of a stock resurrection, turbo spiders and all.

Nononono.

I want it to go down the road, not go all Italian and self-immolate.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

13 Inch, the very definition of automotive insanity.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think we need to set up some kind of kickstarter or something to help him get this pile.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

some texas redneck posted:

I think we need to set up some kind of kickstarter or something to help him get this pile.

https://www.gofundme.com

Probably the best place to start

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I know how trite this sounds but it's a lot smaller than I expected.

They are tiny. I stored mine for the Winter in the front of my garage at the time -- which is the same place I stored my Miata later on. They are very similar in size.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

some texas redneck posted:

I do have a paypal acct i use now and then I just didnt want to seem like i was panhandling for my fix of misery :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway map—a shapeless congeries of polymeric tubules, frankly quite ominous, and with myriads of temporary splices patching and un-patching around pustules of greenish oxidation all over the bay filling plenum that bore down upon us, crushing bleeding knuckles and dribbling over the glistening floor that it and its kind had kept so evilly full of cat litter.

—H. P. Dickcraft, At The Manifolds of Madness

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

When I saw the picture

:gizz:

This needs to happen. I need it to happen.

Betacord
Mar 24, 2013

7 DAYS / 1 PROGRAM
I love these and came close to buying one which sounded like an absolute wreck with stated overheating problems - I still regret not buying it. Make sure you budget for an engine crane to have on permanent standby, practically every job on the Biturbo seems to require the engine completely pulling out (at a funny angle, just to make it more fun). Check the bulkhead for rot as they can go there very badly. And if it's missing the chintzy clock on the dashboard, they cost a lot to replace.

Good thing with early carb Biturbos is you don't need to worry about theft, it's unlikely anyone will be able to figure out the exact combination of manual choke and pedal tapdancing required to start it. Hot start issues in particular were a massive problem even when new, just made me want it more.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just don't sell the Civic!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So could someone enlighten me on what makes the Biturbo so awesomely terrible?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

An Italian-made carbureted twin turbo V6, for one. Horrid electrical issues, very complicated... everything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Also they used lovely quality parts from the factory, because they're Italians. Rust is also therefore a major concern.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Check out this clock in the dash:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There was also something special about the engines oil pan. Or so I'm told by a guy who owns one with a turbo 13B swapped in place of the V6.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
On a scale of 1-Trabant how bad is it?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think Biturbo's belong on a scale all of their own. It's just a circle with two diametrically opposed points, carburetted and EFI.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

On a scale of 1-Trabant how bad is it?

Someone find this dude the cross section of the twin intake valves being operated by a single rocker pushing down on an off center hollow bucket tappet

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Presented without comment:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I do have a paypal acct i use now and then I just didnt want to seem like i was panhandling for my fix of misery :v:
You're not, you're panhandling for our fix of entertainment/schadenfreude/mechanical snuff films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm in for $20.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

jammyozzy posted:

Presented without comment:

Heh, count me in for :10bux:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I figure the acquisition of the Maserati and subsequent tears and frustration would be roughly on par with the enjoyment I got out of Kevbarlaz's pdf/book. I got ten bux here do donate to the cause, because the cause is so terrible yet amazing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Twerk from Home posted:

Check out this clock in the dash:

What is the test button for?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CharlesM posted:

What is the test button for?
Press it, and if the car doesn't catch fire it worked.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Press it, and if the car doesn't catch fire it worked the button is broken. Probably because of a wiring problem that is about to start a fire.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least the valves appear to be diametrically opposed on that poor tappet, so... I guess it won't damage things? Hopefully?

Jesus christ. Count me in for :10bux: or a service manual of similar price if anyone sees one on ebay :v:

(I think the abysmal vacuum hose cthulhu and blow-through turbo-carb disaster are more impressive/depressive than that, honestly.)

e: oh dear.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 21, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lets not get ahead of ourselves just yet, just because i found the car the owner still hast replied to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A couple of years ago, me and my friends were on a camping trip and decided to canoe down the river before they ruined it. My buddy Steve, he was the leader of all of us. As much as we resented admitting it, he was the only one of the group comfortable out in nature and, we admitted later, with himself.

Once the trip was well underway, our canoes got separated when these nice men from Seattle came down to talk to us about the problems with globalization and who really destroyed the World Trade Centre. I didn't see Steve's canoe floating away with him and Phil in it, but I noticed afterward that they had been gone a really long time. We proceeded down the banks. The weather had been getting worse all day, and it left me with an inexplicable lump in my throat, as if my subconscious was reacting to some great tragedy of which I was not yet truly aware.

We saw them on the banks of the river. Biturbos. Hundreds of them. Their flickering headlights gazed at - no, through - us, their crooked grilles recalling a time when Italian manufacture wasn't just a joke of a globalized economy, with its WTOs and NAFTAs. 80s synthesized banjo music emitted from the car that seemed to be the leader, its poorly designed carburetor backfiring, lips of flame rolling off of the venturi and back into the air cleaner assembly on the beat.

I believe they thought we looked like real purty owners with thick wallets. If only that's what Steve had been...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just got off the phone with the greybeard that owns the Maserati. He spent about five minutes telling me about what a reliable, solidly built, amazing to drive car it was until I finally said so listen Im specifically looking for a biturbo for their reputation of being about as polar opposite of that as you can get and I asked why it had been parked for so long. I sort of tune out for a second after the words "catastrophic failure of the" and tuned back in somewhere around the crank case completely filling itself with gasoline blowing out seals and now it makes a bad noise that he doesnt like

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So what you're saying is that, for a BiTurbo, it's in pristine condition. What price did you and the greybeard agree on?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
sounds like it is a great fit!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
How dumb does he think potential buyers are? Holy cow, what an rear end in a top hat. Drop some spiders down his pants if you meet him.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

"catastrophic failure of the" & the crank case completely filling itself with gasoline blowing out seals & now it makes a bad noise

Best sales pitch EVER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I looked up Biturbo on wiki.

quote:

The Biturbo is number 28 in the BBC book of "Crap Cars" and in 2007 was selected as Time Magazine's worst car of 1984

Do you plan a new thread?

• Locked thread