Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Enderzero posted:

i know of a recruiting company that dropped them because their placements kept leaving so quickly after getting hired on. that's a pretty bad sign, yeah?

edit: i think they are still trusted by olds for appliances and do a decent job at that? otherwise i have no idea how they stay afloat

i went into a sears once to look @ appliances and they didn't have an specials or anything and the guy was not helpful @ all and it was just pretty sad and depressing so we got our w/d at home depot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i bought my fridge from sears and the lady that sold it to me was essentially begging me to give her a good rating

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is a depressing store

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

pram posted:

it is a depressing store

their CEO is a libertarian numbskull who is running a real-world version of 'why libertarianism doesn't work' with sears and kmart

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

salespeople are strange people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

uncurable mlady posted:

their CEO is a libertarian numbskull who is running a real-world version of 'why libertarianism doesn't work' with sears and kmart

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/

Ayn Rand-loving CEO destroys his empire

The invisible hand waves bye-bye to Eddie Lampert, whose business plan has run Sears into the ground

lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

PuTTY riot posted:

i went into a sears once to look @ appliances and they didn't have an specials or anything and the guy was not helpful @ all and it was just pretty sad and depressing so we got our w/d at home depot

Sears feels like a graveyard no matter where you go. the change in the past ten years is mind-boggling, I think that K-Mart dragged them into the grave except I remember K-Marts around Chicagoland that I saw in 1999 being way nicer than the ones here.

Sears sells EVERYTHING with a red half-off tag, it doesn't inspire confidence in consumers when everything is discounted to the bone and selling at a loss.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The invisible hand waves bye-bye to Eddie Lampert, whose business plan has run Sears into the ground

lol

lmao

Apr 7, 2003

there's the problem!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

amazon has a $150,000 samsung eleven foot 4k tv that is custom manufactured for you when you order it, but once they finish building it you get free 2 day shipping!

it's a great deal

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hahaha oh yeah that article was linked here before

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol

lmfao

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
from a different but related article

quote:

Rioters destroyed storefronts in downtown Oakland, California five months ago, filling the area with sadness and boarded-up windows. All of the businesses have fixed up their public faces except one. One retailer’s huge building still has boarded-up windows and looks abandoned. Local residents call the blighted storefront “depressing,” and the city issued a citation for “blight.” The blighted business? Sears.
It’s easy to make fun of Sears, and we often do. In this case, the issues are much more complex than just assuming that Sears doesn’t care about its stores. A whole building of broken windows is a bigger problem than a few stained carpets or empty racks here and there.
The real problem is Sears’ legacy. Specifically, that huge building that a very different company called Sears, Roebuck & Co. built in the 1930s. Yes, technically Sears Holdings and Sears Roebuck are the same company, but every American consumer knows that they aren’t really the same company at all.
The city issued a blight citation, but Sears says that it can’t fix the storefronts. The problem is the age of the building: the company can’t just run to Home Depot to replace custom windows that date back to the 1930s.
Tipster Gordon let us know about the situation, observing that the pictures in the article are terrible, and things look even worse in real life. “This is a huge, currently-operating Sears location, but from the outside you could be forgiven for thinking it had been abandoned for decades,” he writes.
When the city told Sears that it couldn’t leave unfinished plywood on its windows, the company’s solution was to paint the wood. That solved the problem
“It really affects the quality of life in that area because the building’s such a huge presence there,” one neighbor told the San Francisco Chronicle. Retailers are supposed to cheer us all up with their holiday displays at this time of year, not depress us with their blight.
The city has given Sears another month to replace the windows. You can safely make a bet that the plywood will still be there then.

tl;dr:

quote:

When the city told Sears that it couldn’t leave unfinished plywood on its windows, the company’s solution was to paint the wood.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

people love craftsman brand tools for some unfathomable reason

the hand tools have (or at least used to have) an unlimited lifetime warranty. you could buy a wrench and lose it in your yard, and when you found it the next spring by running it over with the lawnmower take it back in to sears and they'd give you a new one.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

uncurable mlady posted:

everybody needs to make sure to read the linked Bloomberg piece, all of it, because it is a glorious case study in how to destroy a profitable and trusted brand

sears has been going so badly that the guy has lost significant reputation in wall street

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

everybody needs to make sure to read the linked Bloomberg piece, all of it, because it is a glorious case study in how to destroy a profitable and trusted brand

sears has been going so badly that the guy has lost significant reputation in wall street

:agreed:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Sagebrush posted:

the hand tools have (or at least used to have) an unlimited lifetime warranty. you could buy a wrench and lose it in your yard, and when you found it the next spring by running it over with the lawnmower take it back in to sears and they'd give you a new one.

this is why i'm wary of craftsman tools

if the best thing you can say about them (and it's the only thing anyone ever talks about) is "they have a great warranty!!" it doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that they are actually quality products

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

this 3/8" wrench doesn't actually fit on a 3/8" bolt head but at least i can get a new one for free when i leave my tools out in the rain like a child!!!

Apr 7, 2003

I haven't bought a Craftsman tool since 2001 but when I bought them they were pretty deece and I still have the ones I bought.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

snap-on tools own really hard but its the most transparent example of why american manufacturing will never be a thing again

you can buy a 100-piece craftsman ratchet set for $100 while a single snap-on 3/8" socket wrench (with no sockets) costs $106.95

Apr 7, 2003

Socracheese posted:

snap-on tools own really hard but its the most transparent example of why american manufacturing will never be a thing again

you can buy a 100-piece craftsman ratchet set for $100 while a single snap-on 3/8" socket wrench (with no sockets) costs $106.95

That price has nothing to do with where the ratchet is made and more to do with the fact that it's the last 3/8" ratchet you'll ever buy.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quote:

And yet former executives in Sears’s digital group say that while some of Lampert’s suggestions were forward-thinking, he barraged the department with quixotic demands. Lampert constantly cooked up ideas: BlackBerry apps, netbooks in stores, and a massive multiplayer game for employees. He ordered the IT department to build a proprietary social network, called Pebble, which he joined anonymously under the pseudonym “Eli Wexler.” (An Eli refers to someone who attended Yale.) Lampert’s intention, former colleagues say, was noble: He wanted to engage with employees and find out what was happening across the company.

It quickly became clear that Eli Wexler was a little too engaged on Pebble. He left critical comments on other people’s posts, according to more than 20 former employees; he even got into arguments with store associates. Word got around that Wexler was Lampert. Bosses started tracking how often employees were “Pebbling.” One former business head says her group organized Pebble conversations about miscellaneous topics just to appear they were active users. Another group held “Pebblejam” sessions to create the illusion they were using the network.

:cripes:

:rip: sears

Apr 7, 2003

Also you can get a Snap-On

pebbled again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Socracheese posted:

"american manufacturing" as an indicator of high quality is kind of a half-truth. american companies made plenty of crappy quality things back in the 1930s and 50s and whatever. the reason we think of old things as better-made than new things is mostly because all the crappy old things were thrown out. so our picture of old technology is from the things that lasted.

same with music, movies, etc. there was a poo poo ton of unmemorable garbage music that came out in the 1960s but we only remember the really good bands so it seems like a better time than it was.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

Also you can get a Snap-On

pebbled again

rebrand as 'pebl' and relaunch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that said, it is outright hilarious how bad some of the imported chinese tools you can get at mega discount are. talking like screwdrivers with shafts that you can bend by pushing on them with your thumb, or wrenches that snap in half the first time you haul on them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

uncurable mlady posted:

rebrand as 'pebl' and relaunch

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

"american manufacturing" as an indicator of high quality is kind of a half-truth. american companies made plenty of crappy quality things back in the 1930s and 50s and whatever. the reason we think of old things as better-made than new things is mostly because all the crappy old things were thrown out. so our picture of old technology is from the things that lasted.

same with music, movies, etc. there was a poo poo ton of unmemorable garbage music that came out in the 1960s but we only remember the really good bands so it seems like a better time than it was.

also lots of older poo poo was more repairable than now

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

that said, it is outright hilarious how bad some of the imported chinese tools you can get at mega discount are. talking like screwdrivers with shafts that you can bend by pushing on them with your thumb, or wrenches that snap in half the first time you haul on them

I had Stanley channel locks break on me the first day I used them

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

also lots of older poo poo was more repairable than now

lots of older poo poo had components the size of a baby's arm that were available off-the-shelf in more generalized forms; speciality manufacturing, relentless cost-cutting, and the relative ease of custom fabrication has killed that dream

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

uncurable mlady posted:

lots of older poo poo had components the size of a baby's arm that were available off-the-shelf in more generalized forms; speciality manufacturing, relentless cost-cutting, and the relative ease of custom fabrication has killed that dream

i'd rather blame the inscrutable chinese

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'm not even being conspiracy theory about it

especially now that everything is using integrated electronics... miniaturization, multilayer pcbs, smt, etc etc means it is inevitable that poo poo is harder or impossible to repair

and that's aside from whether it's cost effective or not

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah exactly

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'd rather blame the inscrutable chinese

the real mystery of the orient is how we can slash 20% off the BOM

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

the real mystery of the orient is how we can slash 20% off the BOM

the answer usually involves unsafe amounts of lead

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

uncurable mlady posted:

the answer usually involves unsafe amounts of lead

don't forget tiny childe hands

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

honestly you can still buy stuff that's designed to be maintained and repaired today. that $106 socket wrench probably, for example. but you aren't going to see those for sale anywhere outside a specialty tooling supplier so the perception is that "you can't get good stuff any more"

i have a $20 chinese torque wrench that eventually sheared apart when i got up to the high end of its scale, and i have a $160 american torque wrench that is solid as a rock and can be taken apart and fixed and recalibrated by any machine shop.

people's perceptions are just super skewed by how incredibly cheap stuff has become because of cheap chinese labor

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

someone gave me a small tool set as a gift once

i opened it, picked up the hammer, and the head fell right off

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Cold on a Cob posted:

from a different but related article

tl;dr:

they eventually gave up and just sold the building

:rip:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

craftsman tools used to be the best tools you could get at retail

now they're the same stuff you can get at harbor freight but with a red craftsman label instead of a pittsburgh label

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i saw a really good article somewhere talking about middle class purchasing power in the 50s vs. today. in the 1950s, something like a pair of work boots would cost the equivalent of three hundred bucks today. just good leather boots. you can buy the same three hundred dollar boots today and they'll be just as good or better and they'll last forever. there wasn't another option in the 50s -- you got the boots from the cobbler in your hometown or maybe you drove to the big city for a day to go to the fancy store.

today have another option: you can buy boots for 59.99 from china. and they'll be pieces of crap and fall apart after a year. but your purchasing power has gone up five times! and the same goes for basically every consumer good -- clothes, electronics, furniture, etc. even though real wages haven't increased (or have greatly fallen) since the 50s, you can now be living at the poverty line and have a closet full of clothes and a decent sized tv because we exploit the hell out of east asia, so people can point to this as "hey look quality of life just keeps getting better"

tl;dr basically the good quality stuff still exists -- wal-mart has just simultaneously skewed everyone's ideas of how much something actually costs and how long it should last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the largest local mall has 3 department stores on the periphery, a jc pennys, dillards and macys. between the two wings of the mall was the sears; if you wanted to go to more than one store you usually had to go through the sears

it was the most depressing thing ever. like they had an absolutely enormous amount of foot traffic, but there were rarely things for sale close to the main path, lighting was dim, it looked like it had never been cleaned, displays were ancient and so forth. the store was packed from people trying to get from one end to the other end of the mall and nobody ever stopped and bought anything because they were actively trying to get people to not buy stuff I guess?

• Locked thread