Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey I noticed a tiny problem in that photo, I've circled it here in red for you:

Fix that and you should be just fine!

for five minutes until it bursts into flames+spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hey now, Interstate sells a decent battery. :colbert:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
As a hanger on from the time this thread was in the LP forum, this thread is responsible for getting me interested in cars. Thanks for that.

That said, do a scarecam LP of you fixing the car. That's the ticket to glorious YouTube ad revenue.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Honestly that looks like a terrifying mess.

I can understand taking a beautiful car with lovely engine/electrics and putting a different drive train in it, but the Biturbo is ugly as gently caress AND has lovely internals.

So, buy it I guess?

Or buy a 90s Jaguar and put the Biturbo engine into it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
SHOT IN THE DICK, AND YOURE TO BLAME. YOU GIVE CARS A BAD NAME

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Astonishing Wang posted:

God this is such a stupid idea, and It's not even cool looking. Don't do it dude, even in a perfect world where nobody ever drops an exhaust manifold on their dick you're only going to get about 10 minutes of fun out of this thing. A buttload of dollars probably to get it running only to find out that it just broke again because you stepped on the gas too hard and it caught on fire.

You sir need to understand that we aren't pushing Officer 13 inch psychlobe Dick to do anything.
No offense 13 inch.. but He has a mental illness and it's in the form of a Sadistic relationship with vehicles.
lets go over the facts.
1. VW fastback full of spiders that tried to kill him many a time.
2. Froot truck (Free) that drew blood and tears from him so many times
3. Civic 1 that was a mess and he finally got it running and sold.
(SOmewhere in 2&3 He looked into buying back the VW fastback full of spiders that wanted to kill him)
4. Retired POPO car that was actually reliable.. This was too boring roomy and reliable for our poor subject, so he sold it for 5.
5. Civic he curently drives, had some issues, but he got it back and running and in decent shape.. so now he's bored it hasn't tried to kill him.

6. Wasn't there a volvo in there somewhere too? I can't quite remember.

We're not doing anything but suggesting that he go after his dream of a bi-turbo, the best twin-turbo carburated luxary sedan that 1984 had to offer. The Bi-turbo has been a dream of 13inch since he was wee officer 8inch.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Mechanical nightmares aside, it looks pretty drat clean!

So when do you tow it home?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The interior of mine was the best... suede headliner and buttery leather seats... you're giving me flashbacks. Like of that stupid UNLEADED FUEL ONLY sticker they stuck on the instrument panel. But... suede headliner. Stitched leather dash. BiTurbo. Do it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Didn't even make it 13k miles before turning into a mechanical shitheap. That's Italian soul.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spiderwebs spotted in the pictures, buy it, you were meant to be together.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'd throw a junkyard truck SBC in it, slam it and put wheels on it and call it a day. Would not touch the paint.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 215 days!)

Guinness posted:

Didn't even make it 13k miles before turning into a mechanical shitheap. That's Italian soul.

Italian cars are the only ones where they roll the odometer forward to make it seem like a better buy.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've got aaaaaall kinds of weird poo poo on my computer...

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.
I am really into high-maintenance V6 Alfas, and the BiTurbo is a strange, strange dream I have.

Remember to let the turbos cool off...

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
Man, what a sexy car (I say this fully acknowledging my disappointment with the digital dash clock).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
prolapsed anus shift boot...check

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I really want to make a 'dog leg' joke but that would infer that the car was mobile to some degree.

E:

Not rainwater, but tears.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

There are so many warning signs

Pham Nuwen posted:

Spiderwebs spotted in the pictures, buy it, you were meant to be together.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've got aaaaaall kinds of weird poo poo on my computer...

:stonklol:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This looks like such a terrible idea.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
This thing is worth it based solely on that fine Italian interior. I want those seats in my living room.

If you go through with this (and really, why the gently caress not?) good luck and I really hope you have some flame retardant coveralls. If you want, I have a pair I used when I had to do work at refineries and terminals that I can wash up and send your way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guy wants a thousand dollars for it but it comes with extra rims, spare transmission, exhaust, an an entire axle to axle rear subframe assembly. He says I could easily make back most of the purchase price by selling off spares to Maserati enthusiasts online.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Guy wants a thousand dollars for it but it comes with extra rims, spare transmission, exhaust, an an entire axle to axle rear subframe assembly. He says I could easily make back most of the purchase price by selling off spares to Maserati enthusiasts online.

Then why isn't he selling them all online :v:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
If you're looking for a good place to find other Biturbo owners to sell the spares, may I suggest fetlife.com?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

I don't know how many other crazy people there are out there that want Biturbo parts, but it sounds like a decent buy. Of course, this is coming from a guy who lives in North Dakota where the economy has made any running shitbox automatically worth about $1500. Duct tape add-ons are extra.

I'd do it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Francis Baconator posted:

I don't know how many other crazy people there are out there that want Biturbo parts, but it sounds like a decent buy. Of course, this is coming from a guy who lives in North Dakota where the economy has made any running shitbox automatically worth about $1500. Duct tape add-ons are extra.

I'd do it.

You forgot the "SAAB GUY" disclaimer, though. There is insane, and then there is insane.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
$1000? Sounds good to me! What's the buy-in on this?

No vagi-clock? :monocle:

I thought this was a classy prospective purchase! 13", I expected better from you.

Astonishing Wang posted:

God this is such a stupid idea, and It's not even cool looking. Don't do it dude, even in a perfect world where nobody ever drops an exhaust manifold on their dick you're only going to get about 10 minutes of fun out of this thing. A buttload of dollars probably to get it running only to find out that it just broke again because you stepped on the gas too hard and it caught on fire.
Reported.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Dante Logos posted:

That said, do a scarecam LP of you fixing the car. That's the ticket to glorious YouTube ad revenue.

I would pay for a live feed of 13 Inch working on it. Why isn't there a kickstarter set up yet? WHY?

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

The question isn't should you do this, the question is are you prepared to even top yourself in terms of torture and buy this bucket of insanity right before winter's icy grip lays its hands upon you and your Italian death trap? (please do it for the sake of all of us)

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I'm in for $20 or at least a case of beer and some chicken if he has people over to help get it running.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Im not sure why the PO made such a point about how the car was to be sold with a pint bottle of scotch, a note pad and pen, and a snub nose .38 with a single round chambered all in the glovebox.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I would pay for a live feed of 13 Inch working on it. Why isn't there a kickstarter set up yet? WHY?

I really think this needs a garage webcam. We have people here willing to chop it down to a "best of" moments as rubber disintegrates, fuel spurts out of the carb, and everything goes up in flames.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Im not sure why the PO made such a point about how the car was to be sold with a pint bottle of scotch, a note pad and pen, and a snub nose .38 with a single round chambered all in the glovebox.

Maserati rules state just that.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

The unstated bit of this - its chambered in the gun beneath the seat, not the one in the glovebox. The one which is live is currently acting as suspension, and has a very small lead from the tip, with which all grounding is run.

Francis Baconator posted:

That's true. But if unreliable cars were an STD, 13 INCH would be rocking gonorrhea and I'd just be stuck with the clap or scabies.

Uhh.. Gonorrhea is the clap? :confused:?

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Viggen posted:

You forgot the "SAAB GUY" disclaimer, though. There is insane, and then there is insane.
That's true. But if unreliable cars were an STD, 13 INCH would be rocking gonorrhea and I'd just be stuck with the clap or scabies.

Bring it on! :munch:

BTW 13 INCH, I'm pretty sure the previous owner left you that revolver so you had one way out in case all else fails. Cthulhu is generous.

Viggen posted:

Uhh.. Gonorrhea is the clap? :confused:?
It is? Well poo poo, I guess I don't know my drippy dick syndromes very well. But you get the idea. 13 has the equivalent of full-blown car AIDS.

Francis Baconator fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 22, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn, you glorious bastard, I am so proud of you for finally buying one. Can't wait to see how this progresses!

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I just happened across this BiTurbo buyers guide: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/maserati-biturbo/

quote:

Biturbos have many positive traits, but they do not respond to neglect and rough treatment. As with any used car, it is always smart to buy the best one possible, and for the Biturbo this goes double. The cars are so inexpensive and the parts are so expensive that it simply does not make economic sense to resuscitate a poor one.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I didn't know they had air/water intercoolers on the late carbureted models, I thought it was either non-intercooled carb or air/air intercooled EFI.

I actually recognize most of that stuff, the gold can behind the battery is the evap canister, and the thing with the set screw on top is the boost-reference fuel pressure regulator so the boost doesn't blow the fuel back out of the bowls into the fuel lines.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It hasnt gone through. Theres the haggling and thinking it over phase right now.

"I remember the day that 13 INCH bought that Maserati. We all had a good laugh, oh how we all laughed. That was good ol' 13, always clowning around like that. But......I can't help but wonder, ya know? Wonder what if one of us recognised what it really was all about. The last gasp of air of a drowning man, desperately reaching out for someone, anyone to be there to take his hand. Well, sure, in hindsight all the signs were there, but we were all too busy laughing at his antics to hide that cold queasy feeling it gave us all down in the gut. Because, you know, we were laughing right? So it was all okay?

I just can't help but wonder some times..."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

I just can't help but wonder some times..."
That poo poo don't work with sociopaths, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

I didn't know they had air/water intercoolers on the late carbureted models, I thought it was either non-intercooled carb or air/air intercooled EFI.

Honestly, anything pre-'87 is a known joke. The '87 was the only one that the got close to passable, with EFI and air/air intercooler. Anything earlier than '87 is a basket case that was a laughable project in '94 when I bought my '87. 15 years after that? It's a project that I'd only trust with 14 INCH DICK, his username may change, but the spirit is always there and willing.

• Locked thread