Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Technogeek posted:

If we're changing the topic to "poo poo suburban white people seem to believe about black people", my parents always insisted on locking the car doors when driving through Detroit.

On an interstate highway.

You should lock your car doors anyway so they can't accidentally open. Seems silly, but if you get in a serious enough accident they got the jaws of life and your car's gonna be a loss anyway as far as insurance goes so gently caress it. A lot of newer cars in the past couple years have automatic door locks which activate when you get above about 10mph or so for that reason. Or because it knows you're about to go through the rough part of town. Whichever.

ReindeerF posted:

EDIT: Actually, it's not an old man thing, I have a lifelong hatred of people who elevate their hobbies to stupid levels of status and talk about them overly seriously. It started with spending every weekend as a child sailing - and sailing means at the most working class dike (not beach) ever on a Hobie Cat. People can't just enjoy stuff, they have to be pretentious. It's annoying. Just be who you are and enjoy what you do. Easy peasy Japanesey!

Don't hang out with any marathon runners. At least with (proper) boating there is a relatively high level of investment and learning curve involved, and not just buying some fancy shoes before subscribing to enthusiast magazines and slapping oval stickers all over your Subaru Forester.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

comes along bort posted:

Don't hang out with any marathon runners. At least with (proper) boating there is a relatively high level of investment and learning curve involved, and not just buying some fancy shoes before subscribing to enthusiast magazines and slapping oval stickers all over your Subaru Forester.

Ugh. Do NOT get me started on those 13.1 plebians. Go back to starbucks you lazy asses! :argh:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

13.1 is pretty hard. I say that sticker is legit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know how you can tell someone runs marathons :smug:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

zoux posted:

They're not fat goons?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They'll loving tell you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

zoux posted:

zoux posted:

They'll loving tell you.

This may be the most dangerous pair of baitposts I have seen laid down in quite some time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This may be the most dangerous pair of baitposts I have seen laid down in quite some time.

I could have said vegetarians.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

They won't stop talking about it? That's the actual answer.

In other news, is any of this ISIS stuff really affecting domestic politics back home yet or is it all still at the "they loving beheaded someone!!!" stage where people are mad, but there's no real political effect?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ReindeerF posted:

They won't stop talking about it? That's the actual answer.

In other news, is any of this ISIS stuff really affecting domestic politics back home yet or is it all still at the "they loving beheaded someone!!!" stage where people are mad, but there's no real political effect?

Outside of crack terror squads of ISIS children rising up from Mexico, not much yet.

It has a real chance of being totally upstaged by Ukraine vs Russia turning into a hot war though. Reports are that Russian artillery is shelling in support of the rebels.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

It's mostly the usual partisan stuff where Republicans are blaming Obama for not getting a status of forces agreement with Iraq back in 2010, which would have kept American troops in Iraq a bit longer and (in their minds) somehow prevented ISIS from taking over in Northern Iraq. Democrats, meanwhile, say we must do something, provided that something does not involve sending US troops there or giving arms to anyone.

There are two real political effects: (1) Obama's approval rating has been ticking down ever since the IS(IS|IL) began taking over bits of Iraq. This is to be expected, since Presidential approval is strongly tied to a sense of American control over foreign affairs. Presidential approval is also strongly correlated to party performance in Congressional elections, which means that Republican gains in the midterms are more likely. (2) Since Republicans can now chastise Obama over foreign policy, they are moving away from the isolationist stance that some of the more Libertarian elements of the party had hoped they could shift toward.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Republicans are bleating about how Obama (somehow) isn't doing enough about it, or how he shouldn't have gone golfing after his presser about Foley. It's mostly useless posturing right now

I've literally no idea what he could do, other than be a white Republican. We're already bombing them, and there's no political will to re occupy Iraq

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This sounds like exactly the nexus of impotent thrusts and forbidden love at which McCain and Graham meet.

the press

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

zoux posted:

Still, golf is a sport for the middle class because it costs a lot of money.

I actually played golf a bunch in high school because I didn't have much money, in NC at least we have tons of courses that you can play for 10-15 bucks a round of 18 which last way longer then a movie or anything. I bought my clubs at the Goodwill for like 2 bucks each. Not saying it isn't more expensive then say soccer or something but its cheaper then many other hobbies.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, not where I come from. I mean it does cost a lot of money relative to poverty, but I'm from gently caress all nowhere, really. There was one course in the middle of the nowhere I grew up in surrounded by trailer parks and another in the "nice" part of town that was basically one story ranch houses.

My observation of golf growing up, thanks to some wealthy relatives, was that it the transition from wealthy sport to suburban and/or redneck sport happened in the last 30 years and the funniest part has been watching the rich people bitch about the rednecks coming in followed by the rednecks bitching about black people coming in.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

This sounds like exactly the nexus of impotent thrusts and forbidden love at which McCain and Graham meet.

the press

From McCain's Twitter feed just now:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

The green screen is going to be used to superimpose them onto the beach from 'Apocalypse Now'

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

McDowell posted:

The green screen is going to be used to superimpose them onto the beach from 'Apocalypse Now'

They are just asking to be photoshopped.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are those men doing in that man's anus?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What happens next will shock you.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

(2) Since Republicans can now chastise Obama over foreign policy, they are moving away from the isolationist stance that some of the more Libertarian elements of the party had hoped they could shift toward.

On this front, Rick Perry gave a speech at Heritage and staked out the uber Hawk spot for 2016 implying that he would put troops on the ground back into Iraq; I doubt that he realizes or even cares that he would need Iraq's approval for those troops. Also, this was a good short read in The Nation about how the U.S. trying to have its cake and eat it too in Iraq and Syria has backfired.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
When's the Lieberman/Scott Brown debate, so I can get my affairs in order before we all get crushed in the black hole of irrelevant idiocy?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

Photoshop thread? It's asking for it like Bibi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah the reinvasion of Iraq the Third: World Oil Stabilization and IsIS buttkicking: the beginning of the age of the f35!

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

euphronius posted:

Yeah the reinvasion of Iraq the Third: World Oil Stabilization and IsIS buttkicking: the beginning of the age of the f35!

The US suffers the most aerial losses ever in a military campaign as F-35s rain out of the sky.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, not where I come from. I mean it does cost a lot of money relative to poverty, but I'm from gently caress all nowhere, really. There was one course in the middle of the nowhere I grew up in surrounded by trailer parks and another in the "nice" part of town that was basically one story ranch houses.

My observation of golf growing up, thanks to some wealthy relatives, was that it the transition from wealthy sport to suburban and/or redneck sport happened in the last 30 years and the funniest part has been watching the rich people bitch about the rednecks coming in followed by the rednecks bitching about black people coming in.

Haha

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

New Division posted:

The US suffers the most aerial losses ever in a military campaign as F-35s rain out of the sky.

Wait. They figured how to get those useless pieces of junk in the air without crashing?

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

SirKibbles posted:

Wait. They figured how to get those useless pieces of junk in the air without crashing?

They probably have a fix for it! They'll just need another 100 billion dollars. Gonna have to cut food stamps some more!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SirKibbles posted:

They actually fly just fine. Why, they perform just as well as the 10% of the cost fighters they're replacing. :v:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Are they planning on re-enacting David Byrne's self-interview promo for "Stop Making Sense"?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Evil Fluffy posted:

Photoshop thread? It's asking for it like Bibi.

Yeah it's basically a gimme.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

The Pentagon has since issued a statement saying, "No, that is not loving happening."

Not according to Rick "hey look over there!" Perry.

Joementum posted:

I thought he learned his lesson about standing in front of green backgrounds back in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYGPRlSP3b0

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 23, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ThirdPartyView posted:

Are they planning on re-enacting David Byrne's self-interview promo for "Stop Making Sense"?

I'll tell you later.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

No more perfect opportunity for goatse has yet presented itself.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ThirdPartyView posted:

It's like 60 minutes on acid!

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Doomtalker posted:

Counterpoint: Toronto losing the Stanley Cup. The whitest of white people, basically burning a city to the ground over the whitest of white sports.

You're confused with a different city half a country away.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SirKibbles posted:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Haha! You now have the F35! No backsies!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Haha! You now have the F35! No backsies!!

Fox News investigates: Could Mexican cartels be using catapults to fling F-35s over the border fence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
CLICK HERE FOR THE SECRET TO FLYING!! ONE WEIRD TRICK THAT F35s HATE

• Locked thread