Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Benfica just won the treble, adding the Portuguese Cup to the league and league cup wins. Garay was their player of the season for sure, thankfully it seems he's on his way out.

Wasn't the best game, but I'm obviously happy with the result. Benfica got lazy in the second half which allowed Oblak to display how amazing he is again; one of the nicest things about this season was his ascendancy. After the game I've been thinking about the season in retrospect. It was really great, but I'm still down about the EL loss. Just the way it happened and the fact Benfica fielded a very under strength team due to the awful cards and injuries etc.

I was also thinking about who is likely to be on the way out, and with the way Garay has been playing, I unfortunately know it's all but inevitable he's moving. I might rate him way too highly being a fan and all, but I think he could make the list as a top 10 CB in Europe, and if not top 10 surely top 20. Cardozo needs to go. I love the guy but he's past it and just seems not to care (even more than usual). I was pushing for him to be sold last summer when the Turks were interested but he stayed. I wonder how much his stock has dropped over this season. I'm always worried about Salvio moving since he's my favorite player on the squad, but with the serious injuries he picked up I wonder if that has turned some teams off. Has anyone heard any concrete rumors about moves? I've just heard the same old rumblings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Wasn't Garay inches away from going to loving Zenit in January already? I hope it's at least a big team in England or Spain (or Italy lol) that gets him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Electronico6 posted:

It's noteworthy that there has only been 3 domestic cups since 2007. So this is the first time a club has made the sweep. There's also a Portuguese Supercup(Similar to the FA Community Shield). Everyone is saying that Porto won no trophies this season, despite winning the Supercup, so nobody really cares about it.

But a treble that would be AVB(League, Portuguese Cup, Europa League), and before AVB, it was Mourinho(League, Portuguese Cup, UEFA Cup) in 2003. Before Mourinho I think you have to go back a couple of decades to find another.

Ah I didn't realize that there was no league cup until recently. That makes more sense then.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Electronico6 posted:

Everyone is saying that Porto won no trophies this season, despite winning the Supercup, so nobody really cares about it.

That's because the Supercup is still considered a competition from the prior season, not one of the season in which it's actually played. So Porto won the Supercup in 2013, but it's a 2012/2013 trophy. I think that's also the case in most of the other countries.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

That's because the Supercup is still considered a competition from the prior season, not one of the season in which it's actually played. So Porto won the Supercup in 2013, but it's a 2012/2013 trophy. I think that's also the case in most of the other countries.

It's an irrelevant competition pretty much everywhere, regardless of what season it's suppose to represent. Moyes won it's tin shield but only very sad Man United fans will bring that up, the same reason that winning it didn't bring any solace to Paulo Fonseca. No one cares cause it's a filler cup, that you forget two weeks into the season. Over glorified Friendship Cup.

Ras Het posted:

Wasn't Garay inches away from going to loving Zenit in January already? I hope it's at least a big team in England or Spain (or Italy lol) that gets him.

He was. Apparently the coach and president did a number to convince him. Didn't work on Matic who hosed off to Chelsea.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

No one cares cause it's a filler cup, that you forget two weeks into the season. Over glorified Friendship Cup.

The real reason people don't care is because Porto wins most of them. Racists.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

KoldPT posted:

The real reason people don't care is because Porto wins most of them. Racists.

You can build an entire museum just to house them at this point.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Electronico6 posted:

You can build an entire museum just to house them at this point.

Pretty sure we're fine.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Sporting have signed 20 year old Bulgarian midfielder Simeon Slavchev for €2.5m. I've never heard of this guy and I don't like that amount being spent on someone who's never played in a good league, but apparently he's promising and already played for the national team and Monaco, Roma and PSV were interested in signing him so we'll see. Anyone ever heard of him? Also, Porto have signed Evandro from Estoril, he was great this season but Porto's recent domestic signings like Josué and Licá didn't go too well.

e: http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=884050
Looks almost as skinny as the picture of a 17 year old Ronaldo behind him, better get in the gym.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 19, 2014

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Benfica's transfer window has been terrible. I'm still angry jesus didnt cash in for that 10 mil+ on Cardozo two seasons ago. I have no hopes for Bebe but can anyone tell me about Eliseu? I'll take mediocre consistency at left back at this point since it's been such a problem position for so long now.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Benfica's transfer window has been terrible. I'm still angry jesus didnt cash in for that 10 mil+ on Cardozo two seasons ago. I have no hopes for Bebe but can anyone tell me about Eliseu? I'll take mediocre consistency at left back at this point since it's been such a problem position for so long now.

30 year old Eliseu is probably another Cesár Peixoto, where only Jesus sees a half decent player. Also we have no strikers. Just Cardozo and Lima. loving hell.

Besides Benfica disaster pre-season, Porto also doesn't seem very inspiring, so maybe this is Sporting year.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Are there any rumblings of JJ taking on a loan/buying a striker? Cardozo is so past it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Are there any rumblings of JJ taking on a loan/buying a striker? Cardozo is so past it.

I looked around and Benfica has bought a new striker already which I completely forgot about, Derley. He played year for Maritime and was the league's second best striker.(16 goals to 20 of Jackson Martinez)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
So, how did Boavista get back into the Primeira? It looks like a court annulled the 2008 decision to send them down, but my Portuguese is pretty shoddy so I could be wrong.

Also, it looks like Cardozo to Trabzonspor is a done deal. No word on the transfer fee, though.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

surrender posted:

So, how did Boavista get back into the Primeira? It looks like a court annulled the 2008 decision to send them down, but my Portuguese is pretty shoddy so I could be wrong.

Also, it looks like Cardozo to Trabzonspor is a done deal. No word on the transfer fee, though.

Boavista got it's finances "straight", so it can return to professional football. But instead of doing things properly, as in, start from the second league, the Primeira Liga got extended from 16 clubs to 18, to accommodate Boavista.

Basically, a corrupt club cooked the books more efficiently, and a corrupt league let them in.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

surrender posted:

The courts had relegated Boavista for corruption in the case that Porto was also involved in, but now annulled that decision not on the basis of their innocence but because the case has prescribed in the 6 years since then. Basically Portuguese justice at its best. And yeah Cardozo is off to Turkey for about 5 mil.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lolling my rear end off in advance for Nani being an hilarious flop

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

It's sad this thread title went from being really outdated to almost 100% true just by being left un-updated.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Seltzer posted:

It's sad this thread title went from being really outdated to almost 100% true just by being left un-updated.

2/4, time to come home Ronaldo...

I don't know how much of a "flop" Nani can be considering United will be paying his wages and there's no downside for Sporting, hopefully he comes back motivated to ressurect his career. We desperately needed a winger so this is a great deal for us.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I'm glad Nani is playing for Sporting. He is a talented man and I'm sure he will score nice goals, and get in shape for 2016 :)

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
The season has started and that means I should probably do an effortpost about the changes in the big teams this year. Big moves in bold.

SL Benfica

Manager: Jorge Jesus

In

Júlio César - QPR - free
Eliseu - Malaga - €1.5m
Derley - Marítimo - €2.5m
Bébé - Man United - €3m
Samaris - Olympiakos - €10m

Victor Andrade - Santos - €3.5m
Talisca - Bahia - €4m
Luis Filipe - Palmeiras - €2m
César - Ponte Preta - €3m
Loris Benito - Zurich - €3m

Out

Ivan Cavaleiro - Deportivo - loan
Cardozo - Trabzonspor - €4m
Markovic - Liverpool - €25m

Mitrovic - Freiburg - €1.8m
Oblak - Atlético Madrid - €16m
Garay - Zenit - €6m
Rodrigo - Valencia - €30m
André Gomes - Valencia - €15m

Probable XI

Artur - Eliseu, Luisão, Jardel, Maxi Pereira - Samaris, Enzo Pérez, Rúben Amorim - Gaitán, Lima, Salvio

After being unarguably the strongest team in Portugal last season and winning all the domestic competitions it was involved in, something had to give as apparently the club's finances weren't as strong as they appeared to be. This meant the sale of a few of Benfica's star players, such as Oblak (starting GK), Garay (starting CB), Markovic (winger), Rodrigo (forward) and Cardozo (striker), with their midfield motor Enzo Pérez also on the way out to Valencia. It remains to be seen if these departures have been properly replaced, with Talisca looking like he has potential and Derley and Eliseu being proven valors in Portugal, but it's clear the squad is not nearly as strong as it was previously, especially in the back with Artur a shaky goalkeeper and Jardel a subpar CB. The president has promised some significant buys still to come, but the club will have proper competition from...

FC Porto

Manager: Julen Lopetegui

In

Andrés Fernandez - Osasuna - €1.5m
Brahimi - Granada - €6.5m
Casemiro - Real Madrid - loan
Tello - Barcelona - €2m
Bruno Martins Indi - Feyenoord - €7.7m
Adrián - Atlético Madrid - €11m

Lichnovsky - U. Chile - €2.5m
Oliver Torres - Atlético Madrid - loan
Evandro - Estoril - €1.5m
Opare/Sami - Standard/Marítimo - free

Out

Defour - Anderlecht - €6m
Josué - Bursaspor - loan
Licá - Rayo - loan
Mangala - Man City - €40m
Fernando - Man City - €16m

Iturbe - Hellas Verona - €15m

Probable XI

Fabiano - Alex Sandro, Martins Indi, Maicon, Danilo - Casemiro, Herrera, Brahimi - Tello, Jackson Martinez, Quaresma

A disastrous 3rd place last year has led Porto to make a huge investement this season, gambling on some talented players like Martins Indi, Atlético's Adrian and Barça's Tello, while keeping many of its biggest stars, like Jackson Martinez and the fullbacks. However Porto's biggest player this season might be central midfielder Héctor Herrera, who after a mediocre debut season had a fantastic WC where he looked world class, and if he can show that sort of form in the league their midfield will be hard to stop. Many people are betting on Porto for the title, so a lot is riding on Julen Lopetegui on his first experience managing a big team, and it'll be interesting to see how he handles the pressure.

Sporting CP

Manager - Marco Silva

In

Nani - Man Utd - loan
Jonathan Silva - Estudiantes - €2.5m
Naby Sarr - Lyon - €1m
Ryan Gauld - Dundee Utd - €3.5m
Tanaka - Kashiwa Reysol - €500k
Oriol Rosell - Kansas City - €1m
Simeon Slavchev - Litex - €2.5m

Paulo Oliveira - Guimarães - €2m

Out

Marcos Rojo - Man Utd - €20m
Viola - Karabukspor - loan
Wilson Eduardo - Dinamo Zagreb - loan
Rinaudo - Catania - €3m

Probable XI

Rui Patrício - Jefferson, Maurício, Sarr, Cédric Soares - William Carvalho, Adrien, André Martins - Carrillo, Montero, Nani

Sporting remains mostly unchanged from last season, with Rojo the only starter to have left. As such no major investements have been made, and the biggest change is the manager, with Leonardo Jardim leaving for Monaco and Marco Silva who had done an excellent job with Estoril taking over. William Carvalho and Slimani might still be on their way out, and it will be difficult for Sporting to replace them without being able to spend a big fee if they do leave. After a surprising 2nd place last season, Sporting have no choice but to gun for 1st this time around, although they look like the weakest of the big three.

Also of note that Braga, in an attempt to get back into the CL, has invested more than €15m for the season, which for a club the size of Braga is a huge gamble.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 23, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol nani you clutchy little poo poo

"oh let's let plucky little nani take a penalti shot" hahahahahahahahaha

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Porto's playing good football. This will be a good season :getin:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Whats the full story regarding Enzo being on the way out?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a fight post-match between Sporting and Arouca's benches. Sporting got a lucky goal literally on the last minute of the game and there's some predictable saltiness on Arouca's side.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Never in doubt.

Seltzer posted:

Not much of a story. Valencia and Benfica have been in talks for a while, but word is Benfica will only let him leave for his release clause which is around €30m, while Valencia are trying to haggle it down to about €25m. It'd be a big blow for the team.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 23, 2014

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

^^More complicated than that.

Seltzer posted:

Enzo Perez is partly owned by Meriton Holding Limited, a company that holds Meriton Capital Limited which is a sports player private fund. The owner of this group is Peter Lim, who has bought Valencia and is soon to take over the club's ownership. Benfica had other players whose rights were partly(or fully) owned by this group; Rodrigo, Andre Gomes, and Enzo Perez. Since then Meriton also acquired parts of the rights to a a handful of Benfica youth players, Ivan Cavaleiro and João Cancelo who were loaned to Monaco and Valencia respectably. Rodrigo and Gomes went to Valencia, as part of some shady deal with Meriton, but Enzo was not part of the package. Meriton however disagreed, and recently, Valencia's sport director, Rufete, told the press that his club had already reached a deal with the player, but that there was a problem with Benfica and Meriton. What is happening is that the group most likely went around Benfica's back over release clauses and whatnot, and the whole thing is bogged down. So Enzo is now "injured".

It's not only Benfica that is tangled with these private groups, Sporting is also in open war against Doyen Sports because of Rojo, and Porto is also getting the short straw from the same Doyen Sports, over the sales of Mangala and Defour.

Basically gently caress these shady private funds.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Electronico6 posted:

^^More complicated than that.

Enzo Perez is partly owned by Meriton Holding Limited, a company that holds Meriton Capital Limited which is a sports player private fund. The owner of this group is Peter Lim, who has bought Valencia and is soon to take over the club's ownership. Benfica had other players whose rights were partly(or fully) owned by this group; Rodrigo, Andre Gomes, and Enzo Perez. Since then Meriton also acquired parts of the rights to a a handful of Benfica youth players, Ivan Cavaleiro and João Cancelo who were loaned to Monaco and Valencia respectably. Rodrigo and Gomes went to Valencia, as part of some shady deal with Meriton, but Enzo was not part of the package. Meriton however disagreed, and recently, Valencia's sport director, Rufete, told the press that his club had already reached a deal with the player, but that there was a problem with Benfica and Meriton. What is happening is that the group most likely went around Benfica's back over release clauses and whatnot, and the whole thing is bogged down. So Enzo is now "injured".

It's not only Benfica that is tangled with these private groups, Sporting is also in open war against Doyen Sports because of Rojo, and Porto is also getting the short straw from the same Doyen Sports, over the sales of Mangala and Defour.

Basically gently caress these shady private funds.

I feel like this kind of deal happens in South America a lot as clubs can barely afford to keep their players one season if they're any good. If FIFA actually cared about financial irregularities and FFP and all that they'd ban this kind of thing, as all it does is screw players and gently caress over clubs when they sell them on.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

I feel like this kind of deal happens in South America a lot as clubs can barely afford to keep their players one season if they're any good. If FIFA actually cared about financial irregularities and FFP and all that they'd ban this kind of thing, as all it does is screw players and gently caress over clubs when they sell them on.

Platini has come out protesting against these kind of business, but ya know, it's loving Platini.

Porto and Benfica(and now Sporting) developed an entire player import-export business around these private groups and Jorge Mendes wizardry. Buying a certain percentage of players rights, while the funds pay for the rest, then sell them to the big leagues and super rich clubs(Real Madrid, Man United/City, Chelsea, Monaco, Zenit etc) for incredible inflated amounts. Clubs get their big fat part, the privates theirs,and the player gets a nice super paycheck. Everyone wins, everyone is happy.

These funds also proved to be far more easy and professional to deal with, than the drunk/drugged/corrupt Brazilian dad-agent that was a regular character in Portuguese football. Porto and Benfica also attracted these funds, as both clubs are the biggest in their respective leagues meaning easy prestige, clubs that are usually a guarantee in Champions League, or do incredibly well in Europa League(the last 4 EL 3 Portuguese clubs reached the final, one of them twice in a row(and lost it twice in a row) so they go directly to the European shopping list. Portugal also offers a very easy gateway into Europe and the European Union, and the Portuguese league also is a lot more "friendlier" and "easier" to deal with than the Spanish or Italian one.

However this system is starting to crack as these private funds have become far more aware than they can bully around Portuguese clubs as easily as they can South Americans, and that now these same clubs are entirely at their mercy. Porto ate a big bowl of poo poo over Mangala and Defour, as it was Doyen Sports which kept most of the money over the sales, and future sales too. Sporting decided not go silently over Rojo, and had full meltdown over it, claiming that it had rescinded contracts with Doyen before selling, so it owes no money to Doyen.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 24, 2014

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Out

Marcos Rojo - Man Utd - €20m
Viola - Karabukspor - loan
Wilson Eduardo - Dinamo Zagreb - loan
Rinaudo - Catania - €3m

You forgot Dier, who seems like something of a loss...

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eliseu with the 1-0 to Benfica :getin:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Mans posted:

Eliseu with the 1-0 to Benfica :getin:

Still not good enough for the national team!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jorge Jesus already sent off :lol:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

At the second match no less. A new personal record.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Mans posted:

Between this and Eliseu's rocket I'm liking this game. Benfica aren't looking great but at least it's entertaining and we're winning.

e- Offside is ruining Boavista's day

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 24, 2014

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boavista keeps scoring disallowed goals and got another guy sent off, two guys sent off in two matches. just lol

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Mans posted:

Boavista keeps scoring disallowed goals and got another guy sent off, two guys sent off in two matches. just lol

Somewhere Jaime Pacheco is watching and is shedding a tear as his legacy carries on.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Ras Het posted:

You forgot Dier, who seems like something of a loss...

I did. He was going to finally be a starter this season with Rojo leaving, but I didn't really think he was ready for it, and now we have Naby Sarr who's even greener in that position. Dier didn't want to sign a new contract so €5m wasn't a bad deal for a player who hadn't managed to get off the bench, but I hope he does well.

Porto have signed Lorient's Vincent Aboubakar, €3m for 30%. Sporting were also interested. Is this the face of a 22 year old? Dunno.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please god let Benfica grab Hernandez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Aboubakar is a pretty decent player imo

• Locked thread