Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Iceblocks posted:

Wasn't that a minstranslation that was supposed to be 'half the military forces of both sides were wiped out in the first week of the war'? Outside of Unicorn and possibly the Origin I don't think the Federation ever got close enough to Side 3 to launch any kind of attack.

And if I remember correctly Side 3 had 1.5 billion inhabitants.

No, it was the actual population, not just their military forces. Between nuclear weapons, colony gassing, colony drops and the sheer scale of the conflict, people were killed in absolutely insane numbers. A literal third of humanity was killed in a week.

Zeon itself wasn't attacked but it suffered absolutely unimaginable losses in combat. Part of the reason that the OYW didn't end with the Antarctic Treaty is because Revil was captured and saw that Zeon was absolutely devastated by the war but was able to escape and report this to the Federation. They threw almost everything they had into the war and they suffered huge losses by doing so. Everything up to the Battle of Loum was an absolute atrocity of chemical, nuclear and biological weapons being used, and while mobile suits gave Zeon an advantage against superior numbers, they still lost huge amounts of soldiers in every engagement.

One thing to remember is that the Zabi's plan did not take population sustaining into account because one of Ghiren (and I believe Degwin's) goals was the culling of the 'excessively large' human population. This is also why he undertook atrocities like colony gassing and colony dropping. One of the stated goals was to bring humanity back to a 'sustainable' level. Zeon was not just actively engaging in war, they were specifically being guided in the most humanity-killing way possible.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

One thing to remember is that the Zabi's plan did not take population sustaining into account because one of Ghiren (and I believe Degwin's) goals was the culling of the 'excessively large' human population. This is also why he undertook atrocities like colony gassing and colony dropping. One of the stated goals was to bring humanity back to a 'sustainable' level. Zeon was not just actively engaging in war, they were specifically being guided in the most humanity-killing way possible.

I don't know much about Gundam beyond big stompy robots, so I never realized all of the talk about Zeon being "Space Hitler x100" were canon, not an exaggeration :psyduck:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zikan posted:

I don't know much about Gundam beyond big stompy robots, so I never realized all of the talk about Zeon being "Space Hitler x100" were canon, not an exaggeration :psyduck:

There is a scene in the show where Degwin literally goes "man, Ghiren, you're basically Hitler" and Ghiren was like "Sounds about right."

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No, it was the actual population, not just their military forces. Between nuclear weapons, colony gassing, colony drops and the sheer scale of the conflict, people were killed in absolutely insane numbers. A literal third of humanity was killed in a week.

Zeon itself wasn't attacked but it suffered absolutely unimaginable losses in combat. Part of the reason that the OYW didn't end with the Antarctic Treaty is because Revil was captured and saw that Zeon was absolutely devastated by the war but was able to escape and report this to the Federation. They threw almost everything they had into the war and they suffered huge losses by doing so. Everything up to the Battle of Loum was an absolute atrocity of chemical, nuclear and biological weapons being used, and while mobile suits gave Zeon an advantage against superior numbers, they still lost huge amounts of soldiers in every engagement.

Pretty sure Zeon didn't have anywhere close to 700 million troops that could even die in combat during those opening weeks though, maybe a couple thousand Musais (being generous). Half the worlds population did die though, but that was mostly on the Federation side (Zeon are gigantic dicks, seriously). They totally wrecked what, 3 "Sides" (each one hosting like 1-2 billion people?) before they even started on Earth.

Only thing that should be holding Zeon back once they get over their resource problem would be their production capacity for new poo poo, and maybe training time for new crew.

Basically every OYW show does a poor job of showing the scale of the conflict (IGLOOs version of Loum is really bad).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

ImpAtom posted:

All this is why both sides are reduced to using teenagers and even some children as soldiers. We see this in the early episodes of First Gundam; at the time, Bright Noa is already a junior officer and is only 20 years old. He and Tem Ray have a conversation about child soldiers being used worldwide, too.

The extreme population drop caused a human resource shortage on both sides, so the kids get to grab guns and shoot.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Bomber crews during world war II were 20-21 years old tops and already captain of the aircraft, imagine what kinda kiddo's were actually manning the stations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is a scene in the show where Degwin literally goes "man, Ghiren, you're basically Hitler" and Ghiren was like "Sounds about right."

Nah, it was more like "You remind me of Hitler." "Who? Oh. Eh."

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Arbite posted:

Nah, it was more like "You remind me of Hitler." "Who? Oh. Eh."

No no, it was more like "You're basically Hitler in space." "I'll surpass Hitler, dad! Who's Hitler, again?"

To be fair, the Zabis kinda did.
Kill count in the billions and all.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
How large are the receptive militaries of each side suppose to be? From the show it seemed like Zeon didn't have more then maybe a few thousand Mobil Suits considering how big a deal they make about the few dozen that white base chops through. But with those kind of population numbers they should be able to support militaries in the millions to tens of millions even after the mass genocides without needing to rely on child solders. With army that size it makes the scale of most of combat we see kind of irrelevant by comparison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

How large are the receptive militaries of each side suppose to be? From the show it seemed like Zeon didn't have more then maybe a few thousand Mobil Suits considering how big a deal they make about the few dozen that white base chops through. But with those kind of population numbers they should be able to support militaries in the millions to tens of millions even after the mass genocides without needing to rely on child solders. With army that size it makes the scale of most of combat we see kind of irrelevant by comparison.

The battle of Odessa alone involved somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 million troops but there were around ~200 mobile suits total on the field at the time. There is a lot of infantry and tank/plane fighting, it just doesn't get as much focus.

The numbers are also probably not overly realistic however.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The battle of Odessa alone involved somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 million troops but there were around ~200 mobile suits total on the field at the time. There is a lot of infantry and tank/plane fighting, it just doesn't get as much focus.

Considering that that's about twice the size of the battle of Kursk it kind of makes the MS kind of irrelevant. Consider at the start of Kursk the Germans had ~200 panthers to which the soviets had no effective answer as non of there tanks or anti tank guns could effectively penetrate it. By day three of the battle they down to only 40 from a combination land mines, artillery, airstrikes, the rare anti tanks shots that manage to hit a vulnerable spot. Even if all 200 of those mobile suits were on one side and the other had non it probably wouldn't have changed the outcome of a battle that size.

FelistheIdiot
Dec 10, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It would depend on how much ground a mobile suit is meant to cover.

For example, Mobile Infantry power suits from starship troopers (the book, not the movie) were practically downsized mobile suits in capability (one of their weapons is a tactical nuclear rocket launcher, and it's said in the book that a Mobile Infantryman could wipe the floor with a squadron of tanks); and because of that capability, it only took one mobile infantryman to cover an area it would take a platoon or so of normal infantry to.

Considering what a Gundam mobile suit can do, even if there were only 200 of them they'd still have an incredible effect wherever they were. For example, if they were to be used in a spearhead assault. From what I've seen a typical team of mobile suits consists of three mobile suits and a command element, which translates to around sixty six MS teams. Since just one mobile suit is massively superior to most ground based capabilities in both armament and armor, as well as maneuverability, even one well placed team could completely gently caress the opposition.

Vorpal Cat posted:

At the start of Kursk the Germans had ~200 panthers to which the soviets had no effective answer as non of there tanks or anti tank guns could effectively penetrate it. By day three of the battle they down to only 40 from a combination land mines, artillery, airstrikes, the rare anti tanks shots that manage to hit a vulnerable spot..

I think it's also important to note that at the time of Kursk, Panthers were rather new and massively unreliable hunks of poo poo, so more panthers were lost to engine failure and subsequent scuttling rather than to the enemy. Thankfully in this game, the player doesn't appear to have to worry about the teething troubles of new equipment. Imagine if you were to deploy a squadron of Doms only for their systems to fail on the battlefield!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

FelistheIdiot posted:

It would depend on how much ground a mobile suit is meant to cover.

For example, Mobile Infantry power suits from starship troopers (the book, not the movie) were practically downsized mobile suits in capability (one of their weapons is a tactical nuclear rocket launcher, and it's said in the book that a Mobile Infantryman could wipe the floor with a squadron of tanks); and because of that capability, it only took one mobile infantryman to cover an area it would take a platoon or so of normal infantry to.

Considering what a Gundam mobile suit can do, even if there were only 200 of them they'd still have an incredible effect wherever they were. For example, if they were to be used in a spearhead assault. From what I've seen a typical team of mobile suits consists of three mobile suits and a command element, which translates to around sixty six MS teams. Since just one mobile suit is massively superior to most ground based capabilities in both armament and armor, as well as maneuverability, even one well placed team could completely gently caress the opposition.

I think it's also important to note that at the time of Kursk, Panthers were rather new and massively unreliable hunks of poo poo, so more panthers were lost to engine failure and subsequent scuttling rather than to the enemy. Thankfully in this game, the player doesn't appear to have to worry about the teething troubles of new equipment. Imagine if you were to deploy a squadron of Doms only for their systems to fail on the battlefield!

Well, it isn't unusual to field a bunch of new doms only to have them fail the player horribly(because they suck)!

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

FelistheIdiot posted:

Considering Zeon's RD it wouldn't surprise me if there was a non zero chance of a new suit spontaneously exploding every time you tried to use it in combat for the first time.

edit: fixed.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 24, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Vorpal Cat posted:

Considering Zeon's RD it would surprise me if there was a non zero chance of a new suit spontaneously exploding every time you tried to use it in combat for the first time.

Considering how getting new units up to now usually involved sacrificing aces, I'm pretty sure that's accurate. And that chance is 100%. It's just that the R&D department are the ones who get to use any of the new toys for the first time.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

YeOldeButchere posted:

Considering how getting new units up to now usually involved sacrificing aces, I'm pretty sure that's accurate. And that chance is 100%. It's just that the R&D department are the ones who get to use any of the new toys for the first time.

"Look we had to run the powerlines through the cockpit, but we can't shield them because that would cramp the pilot, so when you're running around, or take a hit, try not to hit these. They also get pretty hot sometimes when using beam cannons, so we recommend opening the cockpit for 5 minutes after extensive use."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zikan posted:

Zeon nerve gassed the entire population of several otherwise Zeon-loyalist colonies to death in order to use the now empty shells as ballistic projectiles to ram into Earth to kill billions more people.

If Gundam were real, Gihren Zabi would be history's greatest monster.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 24, 2014

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Vorpal Cat posted:

Considering Zeon's RD it wouldn't surprise me if there was a non zero chance of a new suit spontaneously exploding every time you tried to use it in combat for the first time.

edit: fixed.

Silly Vorpal Cat, that only happens every time someone yells or says "It's a Gundam!".

And even if it doesn't, a Leo explodes.

Samuel posted:

"Look we had to run the powerlines through the cockpit, but we can't shield them because that would cramp the pilot, so when you're running around, or take a hit, try not to hit these. They also get pretty hot sometimes when using beam cannons, so we recommend opening the cockpit for 5 minutes after extensive use."

"Look, we redesigned everything. The Zudah is now 100% less likely to shake itself apart at standard cruising speed. Just… don't push the engine into the red too much. Seriously, don't. WEP? What's that?"

Kanos posted:

Zeon nerve gassed the entire population of several otherwise Zeon-loyalist colonies to death in order to use the now empty shells as ballistic projectiles to ram into Earth to kill billions more people.

If Gundam were real, Gihren Zabi would be history's greatest monster.

The worst part was that, due to author fiat, you had such insanities as Australia being pro-Zeon after getting Colony Dropped (no, I don't care Zeon went "Oh sorry, we didn't mean to drop it on YOU" and sent aid. Australia should have hated them so fiercely that ANZAC Federation troops should be very numerous and noted for their bloodthirsty need for vengeance) and some Sides who had colonies gassed hiding Zeon remnants and hating the Federation immediately after the War.

Seriously, during and post-Titans, I can understand Sides supporting Zeon remnants as the only possible protectors against the Titans other than the AEUG, but just after the War?! What the gently caress?

I also maintain Hymem was a Zeon sympathizer/infiltrator who did everything to discredit and vilify the Federation.

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 24, 2014

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Delta Green posted:

"Look, we redesigned everything. The Zudah is now 100% less likely to shake itself apart at standard cruising speed. Just… don't push the engine into the red too much. Seriously, don't. WEP? What's that?"

"No there isn't enough engine power left to power the weapons without melting the suit outright. To compensate this though, we were allowed to borrow an industrial extendable arm from John Deere spaceworks, which will allow you to reach for these re-purposed wind turbine blades to use as boomerangs. Just figure it out till we can fit a launch unit in there!"

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Samuel posted:

"No there isn't enough engine power left to power the weapons without melting the suit outright. To compensate this though, we were allowed to borrow an industrial extendable arm from John Deere spaceworks, which will allow you to reach for these re-purposed wind turbine blades to use as boomerangs. Just figure it out till we can fit a launch unit in there!"

"No, our specs and blueprints say you are able to reach the turbine blades. What do you mean 'The extendable arm doesn't have the articulations to reach there'? The length is perfectly fine. 'It's not the length of the arm, it's about the ability to bend it'? Well, we had to make some sacrifices, figure it out!"

"I'm sure having the turret of our MBT also be a fighter/escape pod hybrid is a good idea! No, I'm sure the massively increased profile and height won't be tactical disadvantages!"

"… Hey guys, how do we design atmospheric fighter planes again? Put some wings, a few missiles and guns and call it a day? Alright."

Delta Green fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 24, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
As lovely as the Oggo is, the BALL IS A GOD SEND FROM HEAVEN for the federation. They are cheap, come in groups of 3 or 5, and they have ranged cannons. A single ball does nothing. An army of balls will hold any line and gently caress any ship. And they're so cheap it doesn't matter if it dies.

Also an AI exploit is the AI can't tell "Oh he only has 1 unit he can use in that zone." all it will see is "Holy poo poo he has 51 units! I can't fight that!"

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Since the beamsaber is pulling so many amp's we decided to remove the gyroscopes, initial testing revealed that you can't really pilot mobile suits when the fly-by-wire software isn't getting any info on what the gently caress the suit is doing. But we worked around that by adding an extra pair of legs to the design. No it still handles like a wreck, and it doesn't do corners that well but the top speed increased to 200% by tweaking the locomotives a bit. Problem now is though that theres only two speeds on and off, and on is the equivalent of launching a rocket. Yeah, no, my thoughts exactly if they wanted melee capability they'll get melee capability.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"Okay it's go time. This time, the Gundam is going down! Just you wait guys, we're going to be famous and the funding is just going to roll in!"

*a day later*

"Welp, back to the drawing board."

I would not be surprised if there were weekly "Beat the Gundam" MS design contests.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 24, 2014

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Lavos...what did Zeon do to you?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Samuel posted:

Since the beamsaber is pulling so many amp's we decided to remove the gyroscopes, initial testing revealed that you can't really pilot mobile suits when the fly-by-wire software isn't getting any info on what the gently caress the suit is doing. But we worked around that by adding an extra pair of legs to the design. No it still handles like a wreck, and it doesn't do corners that well but the top speed increased to 200% by tweaking the locomotives a bit. Problem now is though that theres only two speeds on and off, and on is the equivalent of launching a rocket. Yeah, no, my thoughts exactly if they wanted melee capability they'll get melee capability.

Then someone decides they only need the "on" setting and an ace test pilot dies dramatically in an attempt to prove its worth.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It's a pity you can't get the Rhinocerous B-Type, the one with the Burstliner. Still, Visch not being dead is totally worth it. He's like the poor man's Norris Packard, so it's like Norris is still with us.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

BlitzBlast posted:

"Okay it's go time. This time, the Gundam is going down! Just you wait guys, we're going to be famous and the funding is just going to roll in!"

*a day later*

"Welp, back to the drawing board."

I would not be surprised if there were weekly "Beat the Gundam" MS design contests.

AKA the entire point of the Gundam TV series

We also need to sell Gunpla

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun fact: Zeon had an entire line of propaganda shows including Captain Zeon and Magical Ensign Blaster Mari.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

ImpAtom posted:

Fun fact: Zeon had an entire line of propaganda shows including Captain Zeon and Magical Ensign Blaster Mari.

Please tell me there's a link to this stuff.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Old news: Zeon uses DirectX
Just google for pictures with "DirectX 08ms"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Gunpla too:

(by the way, anyone reading this should check out MSG: The Gihren Assassination Plot as it is easily the best thing accidentally shat out by Bandai since 08 MS Team)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Onmi posted:

As lovely as the Oggo is, the BALL IS A GOD SEND FROM HEAVEN for the federation. They are cheap, come in groups of 3 or 5, and they have ranged cannons. A single ball does nothing. An army of balls will hold any line and gently caress any ship. And they're so cheap it doesn't matter if it dies.

Also an AI exploit is the AI can't tell "Oh he only has 1 unit he can use in that zone." all it will see is "Holy poo poo he has 51 units! I can't fight that!"

How good is Shiro in a Ball? This is very important to me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The GIG posted:

How good is Shiro in a Ball? This is very important to me.

Shiro is one of the best defensive pilots in the game. As someone who's played through the Federation campaign enough time wrangling the game to keep all your pilots (and reap the most benefits) is a known factor to me.

I will forever. FOR. EV. ER. Be annoyed with the fact that you can never do anything to get rid of General Fatass. Because I'm not sure if Tobias has gone into this but the way Zone of Control works in this game is that the leadership bonuses bestowed are giving by the HIGHEST RANKED pilot on the field. So while General Fatass may be complete poo poo and have no stats or leadership, being a general flat out means he is nerfing every unit in his radius with better stats and better bonuses.

This is one of many dickhead traps that the Federation drops on you.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Someone mentioned the high ranking incompetence problem a while back, but a reminder is welcome.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011

Onmi posted:

I will forever. FOR. EV. ER. Be annoyed with the fact that you can never do anything to get rid of General Fatass. Because I'm not sure if Tobias has gone into this but the way Zone of Control works in this game is that the leadership bonuses bestowed are giving by the HIGHEST RANKED pilot on the field. So while General Fatass may be complete poo poo and have no stats or leadership, being a general flat out means he is nerfing every unit in his radius with better stats and better bonuses.

This is one of many dickhead traps that the Federation drops on you.

Sounds like a good excuse to find the very cheapest space unit you have and keep sending him to do "Aggressive Recon" of Zeon's main bases. They don't give their leadership bonus when they are in the hospital right?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Rogue Norwegian posted:

Sounds like a good excuse to find the very cheapest space unit you have and keep sending him to do "Aggressive Recon" of Zeon's main bases. They don't give their leadership bonus when they are in the hospital right?

I wouldn't even use his dumb rear end, I just let him rot in my roster, Forever. :emo:

Also, I just finished a Feddie OYW run in 55 turns and I can clearly say that once you get some good MS you will wipe the floor with just about every Zeon encounter, I brought NINE "Alex" to the last three bases and they just demolished just about everything they encountered thanks to their absurd survivability and agility. (of course, I did also bring like 7 White Bases and a ton of GM Sniper II's. :jihad:)

I could probably have done it faster but I didn't worry too much about that, I don't even remember what you get for finishing earlier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Koorisch posted:

I wouldn't even use his dumb rear end, I just let him rot in my roster, Forever. :emo:

Also, I just finished a Feddie OYW run in 55 turns and I can clearly say that once you get some good MS you will wipe the floor with just about every Zeon encounter, I brought NINE "Alex" to the last three bases and they just demolished just about everything they encountered thanks to their absurd survivability and agility. (of course, I did also bring like 7 White Bases and a ton of GM Sniper II's. :jihad:)

I could probably have done it faster but I didn't worry too much about that, I don't even remember what you get for finishing earlier.

I always just camp Side 3 to level my pilots and advance my research.

basically invade, kill all but one enemy, retreat/pass the turn every time combat comes up, build up your army for replacements, assault, repeat.

Also. You have to wait till like... turn 70 for one of the White Dingo pilots to show up.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Onmi posted:

I always just camp Side 3 to level my pilots and advance my research.

basically invade, kill all but one enemy, retreat/pass the turn every time combat comes up, build up your army for replacements, assault, repeat.

Also. You have to wait till like... turn 70 for one of the White Dingo pilots to show up.

So I shouldn't finish it too early then?

Also what do you get from finishing early, enemy plans?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I gotta say, the Federation having a higher-up who is kind of inept and actually drags their abilities down feels like a nice mesh of plot and mechanics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
All this talking about aces is bringing back memories of the aces system in an older ps2 game in this series. The game has a ton of unique features in general, but the aces system was probably the weirdest. Each ace had a morale stat that you had keep up or else they would actually defect. In order to keep their morale up you had to do things like let them command in battle(auto resolve) and send them out on leave. They could also permanently die if I remember correctly. This could result in you getting to the end of the war in the same condition zeon was in in the anime, with no one to pilot their suits but novices.

That game was so strange in many ways.

• Locked thread