Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

ya we have the original greek.

not sure about the original hebrew?? seems like it would have been preserved?

if by "preserved" you mean the jews edited key christian citations in the Masoretic text :tinfoil: but the dead sea scrolls were found and they preserve some of the actual earliest manuscripts which align correctly with the septuagint such as psalm 22:16

however the DSS still preserves isaiah 7:14 being 'young woman' so 'whoops' on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Christianity was a necessary step in realizing that god does not exist.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Maoist Pussy posted:

if yall read the bible youd know no-gods have existed forever or like people worshipping a variety of gods instead of the One True God. i mean the israelites constantly fail to properly honor god throughout the torah and history books and thats why they get killed off like a million times. the prophets are mostly just dudes whining that nobody takes religion seriously and that everyone will die because of it and they deserve it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what moron would want to live a good and pleasurable life on earth for a measly 100 years -how pointless

let me tell you about how you can live pleasurably forever -how purposeful

friend if you have a hankering to put your trust in the superstitious recollections of ancient desert people and want to know more about a religion that strangely seems an amalgamation of previous mythologies and traditions you are in luck

Boogaleeboo posted:

Did a priest gently caress you as a child or something?

No?

Pity. It might have made you interesting.
mmm interesting yes that does cut so deep tell me more about the bibble and jesus that sounds absolutely fascinating
of course better wait for everyone to gather round first

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gary oldmans diary posted:

mmm interesting yes that does cut so deep tell me more about the bibble and jesus that sounds absolutely fascinating

Bro I'm sorry nobody gives a poo poo what you write or what you say or if you live or die and that the Bible is still going to be an important historical document thousands and thousands of years from now, but you need to get over it. You don't matter. The Bible does. That's just the way it is.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

all the arguments people make for god that are even slightly convincing are just arguments for deism, then they just kinda jump from there to jesus without any intervening steps

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Maoist Pussy posted:

nah, christianity is an unremarkable faith that gained world hegemony because of european expansion, you can find the 'wisdom' in it in any other culture

luckily its been rendered irrelevant and obsolete thanks to newer ideas like rationalism, secularism and the consent of the goverened. good stuff and i'm happy for it

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i didnt read the op, but atheists are just as wrong as theists ok bye

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
If Jesus was a hot babe and God was his milfy mom, this whole Christianity thing would be a lot smoother. No one wants to hear about some old fart thinks your an ungrateful poo poo and get a real job. gently caress that whole sausage party crucifixion thing. The only piercings we want to hear about are nipple rings.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kyrie eleison posted:

if yall read the bible youd know no-gods have existed forever or like people worshipping a variety of gods instead of the One True God. i mean the israelites constantly fail to properly honor god throughout the torah and history books and thats why they get killed off like a million times.

gently caress, dude, I am only up to season 2, spoiler that poo poo.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
theres even a slightly different version of the torah held by a group of samaritans lol. so many edits. they just love editing that thing

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/132004/the-other-torah

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

Bro I'm sorry nobody gives a poo poo what you write or what you say or if you live or die and that the Bible is still going to be an important historical document thousands and thousands of years from now, but you need to get over it. You don't matter. The Bible does. That's just the way it is.
gosh thats exciting these things you say
i and others find your concerns and thus you yourself quite interesting surely i could not compete woe is me for it having been brought to light

tell me more about the bibble as i understand it if i worship this jesus person i get to live forever
well golly gee that sounds swell

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's mostly important because it proves the existence of unicorns.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

There are no others. You are alone. You are always going to be alone.

quote:

tell me more about the bibble as i understand it if i worship this jesus person i get to live forever
well golly gee that sounds swell

I'm not a Christian, go ask Kyrie eleison about that.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

Anyone life worth living is necessarily rare, and any important religion is necessarily believed by people who aren't rare.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

Anyone life worth living is necessarily rare

No life is worth living, and there isn't anything more common than nothing.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Stoatbringer posted:

It's mostly important because it proves the existence of unicorns.

haha i didnt even know about that. unicorns are real tho

Torka posted:

all the arguments people make for god that are even slightly convincing are just arguments for deism, then they just kinda jump from there to jesus without any intervening steps

ok well the logic goes something like this, israelites were the first people to recognize the deist truth, but they messed some stuff up so jesus came and explained what was wrong with it. thats it basically

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Boogaleeboo posted:

No life is worth living

You can't know that unless you are living one. :smug:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

You can't know that unless you are living one. :smug:

You can't know anything.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
value statements aren't a matter of knowledge, if you value your own life then it's valuable

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Torka posted:

Is there really a meaningful difference between deism (the idea that the universe is governed by unbreakable physical laws) and atheism? Not considering a moral element.
Christianity's real strength is its ability to adapt and mutate to mimic the contemporary environment it exists in.
The vague and contradictory nature of the Bible is a strength, not a weakness.
People like Tautologicus and Miltank believe that the non religious world is made in the image of the religious world but it's clearly the other way around.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Negative Entropy posted:

Is there really a meaningful difference between deism (the idea that the universe is governed by unbreakable physical laws) and atheism

I don't think that's what deism is, it's definitely not what I meant by it at least

I mean something like what thomas paine believed, that there is a mind behind the creation of the universe but it has nothing to do with the god of the abrahamic religions and is largely uninterested in the activities or beliefs of puny humans

Torka fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 25, 2014

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I donno, believing a giant man up in the sky is controlling all your actions seems pretty stupid.

To not believe this makes you clever by comparison?

Also didn't read that stupid wall of text.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

If you meant that deism has the same absence of implications about how you should live your life that atheism has then yeah, I agree

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Boogaleeboo posted:

There are no others. You are alone. You are always going to be alone.
:thumbsup: your white noise posts cut to the bone son

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Torka posted:

I don't think that's what deism is, it's definitely not what I meant by it at least

I mean something like what thomas paine believed, that there is a mind behind the creation of the universe but it has nothing to do with the god of the abrahamic religions and is largely uninterested in the activities or beliefs of puny humans

how could god not be interested in mankind, god has the capacity to create the universe in all its minute detail but doesn't have the time to be interested in what is almost certainly the most interesting thing in it?

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Kyrie eleison posted:

how could god not be interested in mankind, god has the capacity to create the universe in all its minute detail but doesn't have the time to be interested in what is almost certainly the most interesting thing in it?

idk I'm not a deist

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I do find the idea that a being vast enough to create the reality we find ourselves in would get anything out of a personal relationship with a human being kind of difficult to believe though

it would be like a human wanting a personal relationship with an amoeba, except that isn't a good analogy because the difference between me and a mind capable of designing the universe would actually be far greater than the difference between me and an amoeba

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Torka posted:

n. - belief in the existence of a God on the evidence of reason and nature only, with rejection of supernatural revelation (distinguished from theism ).
Combine that with the indifference, and the difference between deism and atheism is nominal at best.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
we are products of nature, and much of what we attribute significance and meaning to is largely arbitrary. that's no reason to kill yourself or hurt others, why go through all the trouble? that would just be acting out on arbitrary impulses fed to you by society. and it's also no reason to chase pleasure endlessly as if it's going to get you something you want or need in some absolute sense. pleasure destroys sensitivity. i read alot of UG krishnamurti so these thoughts aren't necessarily all original.

UG Krishnamurti

he's kinda hard to take and not easily understandable to many probably, but he's the only person living or dead that i listen to anymore.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 25, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

theres even a slightly different version of the torah held by a group of samaritans lol. so many edits. they just love editing that thing

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/132004/the-other-torah
if you revise a text 666 times, is it still the same text?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

To say humanity is the most interesting thing in an observable universe populated with billions of habitable planets in the Milky Way galaxy alone, one among hundreds of billions of galaxies itself, is a little arrogant. Observations of the CMB indicate the unobservable universe may be infinite.
I highly doubt us humans are anywhere near the most interesting things around.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
A good religion would be called The Greased Fist and to achieve salvation you have to get fisted, by me.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Torka posted:

I do find the idea that a being vast enough to create the reality we find ourselves in would get anything out of a personal relationship with a human being kind of difficult to believe though

it would be like a human wanting a personal relationship with an amoeba, except that isn't a good analogy because the difference between me and a mind capable of designing the universe would actually be far greater than the difference between me and an amoeba

If I knew that amoebas were sentient, and if I was all powerful, then I would try to have a personal relationship with amoebas. Why not? God is supposed by most monotheists to be all knowing, all powerful, and benevolent. If god had all of those attributes, then he would know that we suffer and would try to stop our suffering. He would know that we wanted answers to what the universe was all about, etc. and he would give them to us. If God was all powerful, then he would be capable of "shrinking" his vast intelligence down enough to be able to interact with us. And if he was benevolent, then he would interact with us.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

A good religion would be called The Greased Fist and to achieve salvation you have to get fisted, by me.

Various sects of Buddhism and Taoism go in for that sort of thing. No pesky God to deal with either! Go to town.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

The Dennis System posted:

If I knew that amoebas were sentient, and if I was all powerful, then I would try to have a personal relationship with amoebas. Why not? God is supposed by most monotheists to be all knowing, all powerful, and benevolent. If god had all of those attributes, then he would know that we suffer and would try to stop our suffering. He would know that we wanted answers to what the universe was all about, etc. and he would give them to us. If God was all powerful, then he would be capable of "shrinking" his vast intelligence down enough to be able to interact with us. And if he was benevolent, then he would interact with us.
I dunno if I were God I would probably be too busy having fun fighting in intergalactic space battles to care about sentient amoebas.
I would probably accidentally blow up the homeworld of the sentient amoebas and think "aw, man" for 2 seconds and then move on.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

The Dennis System posted:

Its almost as if the concept of God-the-abstraction is retarded.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Negative Entropy posted:

I dunno if I were God I would probably be too busy having fun fighting in intergalactic space battles to care about sentient amoebas.
I would probably accidentally blow up the homeworld of the sentient amoebas and think "aw, man" for 2 seconds and then move on.

youre a child

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kyrie eleison posted:

youre a child

I think he's just illustrating that a supreme being doesn't give a poo poo what some monkeys on an infinitesimal speck in the universe do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Why would you think that? People will spend appreciable fractions of their lives watching animals doing crazy poo poo on youtube all day, why would God be any different?

• Locked thread