Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
wow i love hash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

K&K, I'm fairly sure Yoshi's Island also uses the Super FX 2 chip to do the various sprite scaling/rotation effects. The SNES didn't have any hardware assistance for scaling sprites, Mode 7 was only designed to mess with a single tile background even though some games manage to make it not look like it, and had some serious limitations. For instance, a vanilla SNES couldn't have pulled off that bouncing boss at like 32:00 with the foreground and background graphics layers still going on.

Also, glad I'm not the only one who likes Genesis-style parallax with tons of layers, it may be a bit crude-looking at times but you can't deny the awesome 3D effect it creates when used right.

As for Yoshi's Island -- to be quite honest, it's too slow and plodding for my tastes. I've always loved how you can just breeze through levels in the earlier Mario games if you're good enough at them, and you just can't do that here. If you ask me, the best thing about it is the "big boss" theme, which is like the best "oh poo poo" music ever.

Finally, I thought Donkey Kong Country looked like garbage even when it came out. :cool:

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 16, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I thought the trick to using mode 7 to mess with "sprites" was to treat the sprite as a background, but give it a scaling hitbox. Like that golem boss in Castlevania 4, the background just goes black during that fight so I figured that was because they were using mode7 to mess with the boss' "sprite."

fixelbrumpf
May 26, 2001

Yep, that's pretty much how Mode 7 was used for bosses in games.

Here's some technical mumbo jumbo about SNES graphics modes:

code:
MODE   # of BGs  Max Colors/Tile   Palettes       Colors Total
0      4         4                 32 (8 per BG)  128 (32 per BG*4 BGs)
1      3         BG1/BG2:16 BG3:4  8              BG1/BG2:128 BG3:32
2      2         16                8              128
3      2         BG1:256 BG2:16    BG1:1 BG2:8    BG1:256 BG2:128
4      2         BG1:256 BG2:4     BG1:1 BG2:8    BG1:256 BG2:32
5      2         BG1:16 BG2:4      8              BG1:128 BG2:32 (Interlaced mode)
6      1         16                8              128 (Interlaced mode)
7      1         256               1              256
As you can see in the table, whenever Mode 7 was used, only one background was available, while most games on SNES usually used three during normal gameplay: One for the foreground, one for the parallax background, and one for the HUD. Layer three usually doubled for doing those super SNES-ish looking transparency effects.

fixelbrumpf fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 16, 2014

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

fixelbrumpf posted:

Also, glad I'm not the only one who likes Genesis-style parallax with tons of layers, it may be a bit crude-looking at times but you can't deny the awesome 3D effect it creates when used right.

This boss fight in Dynamite Headdy was really cool in how it used pseudo-3D in the fight even though parallax isn't what makes it interesting. You're on a rotating platform, and at the end of each phase you'd be swung around into the background. It was a neat how they used the Mini power-up sprite for other things and I love when a game reuses assets in creative ways like that.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 17, 2014

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's going to be interesting to see you guys making it through this game. It's got a lot of neat moments.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (1995)
Part 1/2 (LP pt.69) [Youtube]

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Keith Fucks With the Color Pallet was amazing. The totally black screen and Virtual Boy style had me cracking up.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Agreed, this was fantastic. The Super Gameboy and a second player mouse were a match made in heaven. He hit upon some pretty amazing palettes.

Also, I agree with Keith completely: gently caress all coupes. :colbert:

XavierStudios
Feb 26, 2011

I am physics and so can you!
Damnit, Keith, you almost figured out how to draw over the game this episode.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Hey Keith, you know how with old analog ball mouses, you occasionally had to scrape some gunk off of the wheels that detect the ball's movement?

I think you should try doing that.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey Keith, you know how with old analog ball mouses, you occasionally had to scrape some gunk off of the wheels that detect the ball's movement?

I think you should try doing that.

Are you saying that out of experience with the SNES mouse specifically? Because that thing just kinda sucks right out of the box.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

XavierStudios posted:

So close and yet so faaaar

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

ChairMaster posted:

Are you saying that out of experience with the SNES mouse specifically? Because that thing just kinda sucks right out of the box.

Yeah there's no gunk on it at all because it's so barely used. It's just a piece of poo poo.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

XavierStudios posted:

I just stared at the one line he had slightly going over the game and prayed that he might notice it, but he crushed all my hopes and dreams.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
There will be more super gameboy in our future.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Not sure the farty soundtrack sounds right if it's not coming out of a tinny GameBoy speaker. But drat this game is pretty good for an early mobile game; sunk a lot of time into this one as a kid.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Not sure the farty soundtrack sounds right if it's not coming out of a tinny GameBoy speaker. But drat this game is pretty good for an early mobile game; sunk a lot of time into this one as a kid.

*blink blink* Early? 5 years ('94 release) into the system's life span counts as "early"?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some people count everything from before Google Play Store 'early'.

Anyway, Small Wario was in other games, at the very least Wario Land 2, but there he didn't become Small Wario by getting hit, but as a sort of temporary power-up. Like Mini Mario in more recent Mario games.

...Does this mean Mini Mario isn't original either? Nintendo really likes to reuse concepts, don't they?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean to be fair (to me; I'm biased :v:) 1994 was two decades ago.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm impressed by how long Keith left "Kyle <3 hard candy" up there without comment. Since Kyle did not deny it I'm assuming it's true!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Reveilled posted:

I'm impressed by how long Keith left "Kyle <3 hard candy" up there without comment. Since Kyle did not deny it I'm assuming it's true!

He's a big Ellen Page fan.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I never knew the Super GameBoy was this awesome.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I mean to be fair (to me; I'm biased :v:) 1994 was two decades ago.

True, it's just that by '94 we already had both the Gear and the Boy available, and LCD handhelds had been a thing for a long time before then. And then there were the ones that existed from the Atari era (they weren't quite "handhelds" but were definitely "mobile".) That was what threw me for a mental loop there, that mobile gaming had been done for well over a decade by that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Some of the recent episodes was dragged but this was pretty great the entire time. Leave it to Keith.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

General Ironicus posted:

He's a big Ellen Page fan.

Who isn't?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Actually, you totally can harm the boss even as small Wario by jumping into its underbelly as it flies around. It's kind of obtuse, but he's at least beatable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Actually, you totally can harm the boss even as small Wario by jumping into its underbelly as it flies around. It's kind of obtuse, but he's at least beatable.

Yeah, that video confused me since I easily found all secrets and beat the boss even as a twelve-year old. I don't know if it was the design or just pure luck, but ramming Wario's head into the soft underbelly just seemed right.

On the other hand, watching a grown man walk by past every secret in the levels and getting into (slight) trouble with the first boss turned out to be more amusing as I thought it would be. :v:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Libluini posted:

I don't know if it was the design or just pure luck, but ramming Wario's head into the soft underbelly just seemed right.

Eh, I don't think it's defensible in terms of design. The game in no way hints that jumping up into an enemy was a thing you should do prior to that boss fight, and considering that it's technically a Mario Land game it's completely the OPPOSITE of what anyone would ever do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Eh, I don't think it's defensible in terms of design. The game in no way hints that jumping up into an enemy was a thing you should do prior to that boss fight, and considering that it's technically a Mario Land game it's completely the OPPOSITE of what anyone would ever do.

Oh please, that underbelly was literally the only thing not covered in spikes. It's literally a giant "please touch me"-sign.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thank you for this wonderful bit of exposure to Super Game Boy dickery that I can't imagine anyone ever experienced.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
I think we generally couldn't care less about secrets.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Are you guys planning another stream anytime soon?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Glazius posted:

Thank you for this wonderful bit of exposure to Super Game Boy dickery that I can't imagine anyone ever experienced.

Everyone who had a sibling with a second controller was exposed to this

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Libluini posted:

Oh please, that underbelly was literally the only thing not covered in spikes. It's literally a giant "please touch me"-sign.

I don't disagree that the underbelly is an obvious weak spot, but please refer to the rest of my post.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (1994)
Part 2/2 (LP pt.70) [Youtube]

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Wario Land 3 was one of my favorite games growing up. It's so much fun.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
That wasn't even a Mario game. Where was Mario in all that? :colbert:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MR. J posted:

the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MR. J posted:

We would have seen him if Kyle could have beaten that Genie...

• Locked thread