Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Kappa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Apogee15 posted:

What else could explain that other than KDR having an effect?

Damage done. Time spent alive. Clutches. MVP stars. No one knows and the only reason speculate over it is because they're just CONVINCED they're actually better than they are.

Win more games than you lose.Thats all there is to it.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Damage done. Time spent alive. Clutches. MVP stars. No one knows and the only reason speculate over it is because they're just CONVINCED they're actually better than they are.

Win more games than you lose.Thats all there is to it.

Really though?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
The game tracks so many stats that it really could be all manner of things to impact your rank but if you keep winning and popping heads you will rank up.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

It's pretty much been proven KDR has an effect. How much of an effect is hard to say though. There was an experiment where a silver and a DMG played until they got 10 wins, all in the same games.

The DMG ranked to single AK and the silver got like nova 3 or something.
If anything that is probably similar to Dota where your performance in initial matches matters more so smurfs get kicked out of the lower brackets faster. Once you are outside of placement matches only win/loss matters. You would need a much more complicated test to prove anything else matters.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Apogee15 posted:

Do you have a link to this experiment? I'm assuming you mean they are silver/DMG on their mains and were playing on brand new accounts?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Uhhh well me and my cousin who is Global Elite did this experiment and we found out that not only does winning/losing matches count, but your accuracy with Desert Eagles also counts.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I always thought how fast and how many times you switch between your weapons before a round starts determines your rank, but I guess not?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

astr0man posted:

Do you have a link to this experiment? I'm assuming you mean they are silver/DMG on their mains and were playing on brand new accounts?

Nevermind I found it:
Reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1u268q/elo_experiment_the_results_are_in/
Scoreboard screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/UQgml

They ended up ranked within 1 rank of each other (MGII and MGE). It would have been nice for them to post the "Your Matches" screen and to link both accounts steam info to make sure the total rounds played #'s matched up. Also only one of them posted screenshots. I can't see why they would bullshit anything for that experiment but it is kind of weird that they were ranked after 9 wins instead of 10.

I'm not doubting that there is some individual performance that is probably factored into it but a 1 rank difference is not very significant, and if anything I think that experiment just confirms that W/L is still the biggest factor in your rank.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

astr0man posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1u268q/elo_experiment_the_results_are_in/

I was a bit off with the rank.

It's possible that what CampingCarl said is true, and it only matters at first though. It could be confirmation bias, but I definitely seem to rank down a lot slower if I play well when I lose versus if I lose badly on my smurfs.

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 26, 2014

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

It does look like him too.

Edit:

Thanks SKDC. Now my pistol matches the gun mouz got me earlier.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 26, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I think a more interesting experiment would be to queue up with a 5 stack of new accounts, and have 1 person intentionally go 0-XX with no bomb plants/defuses or anything while everyone else played normally to the 10 wins and see if it actually had a substantial effect on the 5th person's rank.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
The ranking system is intriguing. I finally crawled back up to MG2 only to lose one match and fall back to MG1.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

astr0man posted:

I think a more interesting experiment would be to queue up with a 5 stack of new accounts, and have 1 person intentionally go 0-XX with no bomb plants/defuses or anything while everyone else played normally to the 10 wins and see if it actually had a substantial effect on the 5th person's rank.

Yeah, their experiment wasn't definitive, but it sure did made it seem like performance matters. At least until you get ranked.

But we have nothing definitive to go on, so... *shrug*

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

lmao
also braww the round after you left we nite crew did a 4+1 stack and loving smoked a group of nerds 16-5. I was 13/14. You woulda been proud

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

Yeah, their experiment wasn't definitive, but it sure did made it seem like performance matters. At least until you get ranked.

But we have nothing definitive to go on, so... *shrug*
Yeah to test if it matters in ranked they would need to get identical scores in all the placement matches first. Plus there is a reason games don't use/tell people the exact details of such things, if they did people would go after such things to the detriment of their team.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So I decided to start playing this game after about 5 years of hiatus. I played a competitive game and got matched with 4 young kids, their voices sounded between 12 - 14. I was top scorer, defused a couple bombs and had the best K:D. I asked them to stop spamming the mic earlier then when I failed to clutch 1:4 they voted and kicked me out. They literally booted the person that was carrying their team because I sounded older and asked them to stop spamming and even asked them to stop saying f****.

How do I avoid this?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

d3rt posted:

So I decided to start playing this game after about 5 years of hiatus. I played a competitive game and got matched with 4 young kids, their voices sounded between 12 - 14. I was top scorer, defused a couple bombs and had the best K:D. I asked them to stop spamming the mic earlier then when I failed to clutch 1:4 they voted and kicked me out.

How do I avoid this?

Don't play alone, play with go:ons.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Uninstall

Or invite/make friends and lobby up with them

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mcvey posted:

Don't play alone, play with go:ons.

I don't play with goons because they hurt my feelings.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

d3rt posted:

So I decided to start playing this game after about 5 years of hiatus. I played a competitive game and got matched with 4 young kids, their voices sounded between 12 - 14. I was top scorer, defused a couple bombs and had the best K:D. I asked them to stop spamming the mic earlier then when I failed to clutch 1:4 they voted and kicked me out. They literally booted the person that was carrying their team because I sounded older and asked them to stop spamming and even asked them to stop saying f****.

How do I avoid this?

You tried to tell a bunch of teenagers to stop using the word gently caress and you're surprised they kicked you out of their game? :lol:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

bind [key] toggle voice_enable

play in bliss

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

f***

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Wezlar posted:

You tried to tell a bunch of teenagers to stop using the word gently caress and you're surprised they kicked you out of their game? :lol:

human being. I asked them to stop saying human being. I don't care about the word gently caress. I care about homophobia.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
You're dumb either way.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Apogee15 posted:

You're dumb either way.

Why?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

for asking a bunch of dumb teenagers to shut up when you could just as easily open up your options menu and disable voice there

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That would make it hard to hear their calls of where the enemy was. I asked once for the 'human being' stuff to stop. They all had some weird clan-name too, like they knew each other.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

who cares

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

PIGEOTO posted:

Is it normal to get placed into silver after your initial games? I was placed into silver 2 and I've been tearing up game after game, although the ranking up process seems time consuming and it's frustrating.

I hadn't played CS or any competetive FPS game in a decade (been a CS fan since 1999, but it has been mostly a spectator sport for me for the past 10 years) and got placed in the silvers too. Re-learned the ropes quite quickly though and clawed my way up to MGE after 30 or so more games. So don't worry too much about it, it might take some time for you to settle in, even if you've played CS before.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah exertus giving me them ezpz stickers. Turned $.31 worth of skins into two stickers, one of which is the second most expensive thing i own in cs go

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Luna Was Here posted:

hell yeah exertus giving me them ezpz stickers. Turned $.31 worth of skins into two stickers, one of which is the second most expensive thing i own in cs go

I don't know what's happening to iBP but I hope there's a Yoko involved.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

d3rt posted:

That would make it hard to hear their calls of where the enemy was. I asked once for the 'human being' stuff to stop. They all had some weird clan-name too, like they knew each other.

you sound like a massive human being dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

I don't know what's happening to iBP but I hope there's a Yoko involved.

I had more $ on golounge than I ever had before and I bet it on iBP to beat sapphireKelowna tonight because there's no way they lose two games in a row they'll want it more and stomp these fools annnnddd it's gone :v:

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

mcvey posted:

I had more $ on golounge than I ever had before and I bet it on iBP to beat sapphireKelowna tonight because there's no way they lose two games in a row they'll want it more and stomp these fools annnnddd it's gone :v:

And right after that they lost to Exertus and I lost my second bet of the night.

I think after winning my first two bets yesterday I deluded myself into thinking I knew what I was doing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I lost 3/4 bets tonight. Oh well!

What would you guys think about a CS:GO Lounge thread where we can talk about our betting and odds and stuff?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I bet against iBP twice tonight and also against NiP twice. Feeling pretty good.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I lost 3/4 bets tonight. Oh well!

What would you guys think about a CS:GO Lounge thread where we can talk about our betting and odds and stuff?

personally i just use the csgobetting reddit for that

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
This is one of my favorite boost spots now on Overpass. I saw it during ESL One and its come in handy plenty of times now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Ym4NPTWrE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Apogee15 posted:

Its probably done on the number of poo poo-talk binds used per match or averaged down to poo poo-talk binds used per minute. Also includes times muted, votes started against you, and reports for abusive chat.

• Locked thread